(shouting)

Sonic the Threadgehog

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Bean
Yep.

Sonic the Threadgehog

Post by Bean »

Happy 25th Anniversary to the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Some of the games are about going fast, others are about precision, and some just shouldn't exist. Well, we'll always have the Genesis, GBA, DS, and some of the later 7th gen stuff. Still can't believe that one comic from Archie is running today (and it even has a semi-successful spinoff) that's closing in on 300 issues. Yeah, dude's been running a long time both in games and books now.

Of the games, Sonic & Knuckles is the best because it's its own game and can combine with a couple of others. Doing that with Sonic 3 forms the best adventure the Blue Blur's ever had.

Anyway, there's two Humble Bundles going on right now to celebrate for the next couple of weeks. One for the PC releases of some games and the other for a good many of the comics post-forced reboot in digital form.

There. That's a start to this thread. Post your favorite games, levels, or official comic scenes or whatever. I guess memes are allowed since that's all the official Twitter account does at this point until next month's most likely 25th Anniversary game announcement.
Last edited by Bean 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: Sonic the Hedgehog Thread

Post by Ashan »

I really don't like Sonic games cause I find them clunky as hell, but it made for some dank memes I guess.

Speaking of, The Verge did an interview with the guy behind the Twitter account. You can check it out here:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/23/12008 ... rview-meme
Kuupa
That's me on the beat, btw [:
First name: Alex
Pronouns: the male ones

Re: Sonic the Hedgehog Thread

Post by Kuupa »

Petition to rename this thread Sonic the Threadgehog please
So here we are. Plays have been enacted. Empires have come and gone. The mightiest have passed away and withered, alike the least. Fires have burned, thousandfold. Yet, did not the great wind serenely continue its course? Does not the blackbird still sing its song? Does not the mistletoe still dwell in the oak's crown? Forgotten, what once has been told. Veiled, the words that once so rang out. Shrouded, like the larva in its cocoon. Let him hear it, who will.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Sonic the Threadgehog

Post by Bean »

Kuupa wrote:Petition to rename this thread Sonic the Threadgehog please
You got it!
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

You know 90s edgy animal mascot characters typically had short lifespans and most died out pretty quickly. Somehow Sonic managed to survive this long. somehow.
Getting atleast three animation series, plenty of games, and some still running comics, someone out there likes the blue blur.

Sonic adventure 2 and heroes were decent

Not going to lie, some pretty dubious games under Sonic's name though haha.
The only thing that puzzles me is why there was a constant need to push sonic to be "more edgy?" or "more relevant?" Like why set Sonic Adventure in a psuedo-real world with humans, and "The President?"
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

Zummorr wrote:You know 90s edgy animal mascot characters typically had short lifespans and most died out pretty quickly
But Street Sharks will live forever in our hearts.

Anyway, only Sega system I ever had was Dreamcast, so I never played much sonic, but at one point i did have neighbors with a Genesis, and the envy was there. Not enough to make me overcome my Nintendo-snobbery, but I always wanted to play more. Though Sonic was literally the only game I remember playing for it.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Ashens pointed out in his video today how odd it is that there's still a lot of young kids that are really into Sonic the Hedgehog for some reason, when most of them haven't even been alive at a point where good Sonic games were coming out.

The series also seems to attract autistic people for some reason too. And I don't mean that in a "if you like Sonic, you're autistic" way, it's like a real thing I've seen pointed out from multiple people. I'm not sure what it is about Sonic, but it seems to play to some kind of "too cool for school" fantasy or something that some kids really like.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

You have to remember that it feels like Sonic has been in some form of media no matter what since the early 90s. I'll cite the comics again, but you also had the two cartoons when I was a kid, Sonic X for the ones that were children last decade, and now you have the Boom stuff running on Cartoon Network today.

Plus, for all that no good games argument, you had Colors and Generations five and six years ago, and the GBA and DS were pretty big deals back in the 2000s when the Advance and Rush games were going on. Besides, I know there are people out there that still want to see another Adventure game, so those obviously stuck with that group of now teens to twenty-somethings. They don't maintain the level of quality of the Mario games at all, but they hit enough of the right notes to people to keep the series running.
Telamon

Post by Telamon »

I feel like the whole Sonic OC (do not steal) thing, hilarious stereotype that it is, must have contributed to the franchise's endurance as well.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Bean wrote:Plus, for all that no good games argument, you had Colors and Generations five and six years ago, and the GBA and DS were pretty big deals back in the 2000s when the Advance and Rush games were going on. Besides, I know there are people out there that still want to see another Adventure game, so those obviously stuck with that group of now teens to twenty-somethings. They don't maintain the level of quality of the Mario games at all, but they hit enough of the right notes to people to keep the series running.
Oops I meant to say "There have been some pretty dubious games." Colors, generations, Rush, were good. But even Generations arguably the best sonic game still has that sonic jankyness lurking in it. Like the final boss? Ick, those side missions teeter on the edge, bringing back those classic issues like bad camera and search-a-thon levels.

My apologies for the confusion. I like the Sonic franchise but to me he's like gaming's drunk celebrity, sometimes he does some cool things but everyone knows him for just really screwing it up a couple times.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I was more or less responding to Ashan's first part of his post there more than anything. I think he survived those bad games because of how he is somewhat of a pop culture character. Mario is the every man "boring" hero, but Sonic's the first one that actually challenged him and unlike stuff like Crash, stayed at home with Sega for all these years.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Sonic's 25th Anniversary Party Stream

There was a lot of buzz about this one, so it carried over into the sound for a bit. Anyhoo, so far they've announced Sonic Mania as the retro Sonic with a presumable modern Sonic one shown by Sonic Team later. I need to get some shuteye, but this stream has been something, both good and whatever it was I witnessed early on.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

LOOK MAN I'M SO FUCKING HYPED RIGHT NOW

I'M OVER AT SONIC RETRO AND LITERALLY MOST PEOPLE WERE SAYING THEY WANTED THE PEOPLE BEHIND THE MOBILE PORTS TO MAKE AN ORIGINAL SONIC TITLE

AND THIS IS IT AND IT'S GLORIOUS

also: a month ago, Sonic Team said they have a game in development. This is not the Sonic Team game.

There's gonna be more.
ACesspoolofHatred
What vision is this? What happens to the world?!

Post by ACesspoolofHatred »

I have no social media presence, my only purpose here is to dismay and terrify you all, and I hope to continue to do so - Me, on one of Duvi0's Drawful streams
Y'know, Cesspool, that is, like, honestly... That was what I expected from you, and y'know what? That's my favorite thing that anyone does, specifically. Cesspool I adore you. - Duvi0 that same stream
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

as an outsider and not really a sonic fan i have to say that sonic mania or whatever actually looks pretty freakin rad
Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Honestly I think the Sonic Twitter Feed should be the one getting a game.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Here's your Modern.

It's definitely a '???? we don't know where this is going yet but it looks cool so let's hold our breath for a bit ????' situation but I'm still excited
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
kumuhmuh
local ice cream dealre
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by kumuhmuh »

you know... never in a million years did i think the game i'm most excited for at ANY given time would be a sonic game, but i think mania's done that for me... wow!

-some direct gameplay of part of green hill zone, as well as a new one. looks really, really cool!
ACesspoolofHatred
What vision is this? What happens to the world?!

Post by ACesspoolofHatred »

I have no social media presence, my only purpose here is to dismay and terrify you all, and I hope to continue to do so - Me, on one of Duvi0's Drawful streams
Y'know, Cesspool, that is, like, honestly... That was what I expected from you, and y'know what? That's my favorite thing that anyone does, specifically. Cesspool I adore you. - Duvi0 that same stream
Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Not exactly pushing any boundaries or anything, but it's not like anything else they've tried with Sanic has worked out, so why not jump on the nostalgia wagon?
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

I think and kind of hope that if Sonic Mania will be really successful (and I'm sure it will be) more classic Sonic games will hopefully be released. :)
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, I miss the early Dimps days when they did Pocket Adventure and Advance 1. Those were basically their take on classic Sonic before they veered off into trying to do something more different, not that I don't like Advance 2 and both Rush games. Mania here just looks like it's a new take on the Genesis stuff with some Sonic CD mixed in.

As for the modern one, I will not form an opinion on it based on a trailer alone. If the gameplay is like Unleashed day/Colors/Generations, then I'm in for sure though.
McKnackus
Nobody ex-CAWCAW

Post by McKnackus »

Sonic Mania looks freakin' sweet.

Sonic Project 2017 looks like nothing because they didn't show much except that classic Sonic is back, which probably means it's gonna be another two-entirely-different-games-mashed-into-one scheme again.

Sega, if you're already making a new classic style Sonic game, don't bother trying to shoehorn nostalgia into your modern Sonic game.

But hey, maybe they'll both be good.

Or maybe just Mania.
HamsterZerg
True Pacifist or bust.
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: Oh, don't mind me. I'm just contacting you from the distant past. Carry on.

Post by HamsterZerg »

Yeah, except near the end Classic Sonic used the boost to get through.

Avatar by Skully (artwork) and bkamakaze (size). Thanks, guys!
Soma Cruz, Linkara, and Olimar for SMBX 2.0

Game King-style Story Briefs, a forum game by me
McKnackus
Nobody ex-CAWCAW

Post by McKnackus »

HamsterZerg wrote:Yeah, except near the end Classic Sonic used the boost to get through.
I hope it's just for show. I'm not much of a fan of the boost in Sonic games. Seems like a cheap way to make the levels like more of a spectacle than a game to be controlled and played.

But hey, after seeing some footage of Mania, I can definitely tell the developers are well versed in the level design of the original Sonic games. They emphasize secrets and paths, and actual platforming, with devious traps to keep the tension high. Or at least, that's what I see from the one new zone they showed. I hope there's more of that.