(shouting)

Zelder Scrolls U: Hyrim (Breath of the Wild thread)

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Re: Zelder Scrolls U: Hyrim (Breath of the Wild thread)

Post by Truhan »

Mata Hari wrote:OK I just Googled it and apparently you can name your horse in this game, this is fucking great

I'm going to name the FUCK out of my horse
I already named a horse after you.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I remember in Toilet Paper my horse was called Bitey. Classic.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I named my horse Thornforg.
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

i named my horse Buddy, but after riding it for a while i realized i should've named it Bloomers because it's one of those horses with the white & spotted coat around its lower back and rear
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks

Post by BurntTenda »

I named mine Terra because it's a land animal.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

The bonus chest in the Mirro Shaz shrine is the dumbest thing in the game so far. Really pissed me off this morning.

Also I'm 17 hours in and still haven't done a single dungeon. I've basically been opening up the map and getting my ass kicked in areas I shouldn't be. I love that about this game though. It's very similar to the original Zelda, where it just kinda kicks you out into a huge world and allows you to figure out which areas you should be in based on how tough the enemies are, but it doesn't stop you from going into late game areas right off the bat.

And for anyone who's interested, it's kinda fun to go back to the original version of this thread (which, by the way, I still think should be merged into this one mods specifically for this reason) and see the speculation and skepticism about it being open world. Cause the game really does feel similar to Skyrim in a lot of ways, but with better combat.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14731

Shemp (RIP) got proven wrong:
Doctor Shemp wrote:I'm pretty sure Aonuma said some things about Skyward Sword being more open. He also said it would be much more focussed on combat. Instead we got the most linear game yet and a game where the combat was itself a puzzle of the Simon Says variety.

Basically he's a confirmed liar and you shouldn't trust a single thing he says ever. You can only go by what there's video evidence for which in this case is just:
1) Link is now androgynous
2) There's robots
3) They shoot lasers
4) Either that scene was pre-rendered or combat will involve QTEs
5) Either the world is very big or they have a good 3D skybox

That's all the reliable evidence we have. Anything Aonuma says that isn't backed up by hard evidence can and should be ignored.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

Just beat

Ganon

. Believe me when I say I have no girlfriend will to 100% complete it.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

You know

the thing behind Kakariko Village that looks like one of those ball slots you get in shrine puzzles? Next to the pond with the bridge?

What is that thing? Is it spoilers? Can I interact with it as soon as I find it or does it do something later? I really haven't got very far in the game yet.

I could Google it but a. I don't want to inadvertently get spoiled on something and b. it feels less like cheating if I ask you guys.

I suppose I could also ask, what are y'all's opinions on looking stuff up online? Because I want to avoid doing so as much as possible but it's such a big game with so much unexplained stuff in it I feel like it'll be inevitable.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Ashan wrote: 7 years ago The bonus chest in the Mirro Shaz shrine is the dumbest thing in the game so far. Really pissed me off this morning.
I was actually coming here to bitch about this, as I just did the shrine as well. I couldn't even figure it out - I tried every combination of weapons and I kept undershooting or overshooting the ball. I eventually just gave up simply because I can't be bothered spending a ton of time for (what I assume will be) either a Diamond or an Ancient Core or whatever.
Reb
let's all be happy :)
First name: sam
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by Reb »

Ashan wrote: 7 years ago The bonus chest in the Mirro Shaz shrine is the dumbest thing in the game so far. Really pissed me off this morning.
oh was that the one with the awful ball?

if you're in the immediate center, I think it was like 5 hits with the hammer and an arrow or sword hit or something similar

not like anything good was in there. i think it was actually just a core

editing so i don't double post
Truhan wrote: 7 years ago There's also a big rupee conundrum.
i am actually really surprised
i haven't had less than 1000 rupees since I reached the first town, and that's with buying out every shop's arrow and armor supplies as I get to them
try selling materials. luminous stones sell for a ridiculous amount and they're pretty much everywhere. rocks are your best friend, break them whenever you see them, yo
i normally stay at around 3000 rupees without anything to really spend them on

also, im pretty sure that like half of the shrines are related to shrine quests, so ask around in towns

コンコン
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

For the last time, I'm not selling any of my materials. I need them for upgrades and quests that I'm never going to do. That said, I found out about an even better way to make rupees. Snow Bowling will net you up to a 280 rupee profit per game, takes only a few seconds to do (under 30), and it's ultra easy. I would rather just have rupees be as common as they normally are instead of having to do useless minigames, but whatever. As long as I can have my cake and eat it. I've beaten the game and still haven't killed one of those giant Guardians, so I find that amusing.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

Alright, I just wanna take some time away from my constant bitching and moaning to speculate a bit about what the DLC dungeon might be. I'll be spoiling the current dungeons in my speculation, so don't read if you don't want that.

I have no idea what animal it might be, but I think I've got a pretty good idea of what theme it should be. The most likely, by far, is a forest-themed dungeon. We have the elephant as a water dungeon (which requires special armor to get inside of), the lizard fire dungeon (which requires excessive elixirs or special armor to play inside of), the camel's desert dungeon (which requires acquiring special armor to get inside of), and the bird as a sky dungeon (which requires excessive elixirs or special armor to play inside of). The lack of a forest dungeon is conspicuous in its absence. Consider the following: The first level of Zelda 1 is a forest dungeon, as is the second. A Link to the Past has the Skull Woods dungeon, and you could argue the Eastern/Dark Palaces qualify as forest dungeons as well (but I would argue against that). In Ocarina of Time, the forest dungeon is your first dungeon - twice, as a kid and as an adult. Majora's Mask's first dungeon is a forest, Twilight Princess's first temple is the Forest Temple, Skyward Sword's first temple is in Faron Woods. It's actually a staple at this point that your first dungeon is typically a forest dungeon. The real issue would be that it doesn't gel with the story at all. Who is the champion of the forest dungeon? A fucking Korok? Were they still Koroks or were they Kokiri before the Calamity?

This leads me to a second possibility. I think the most likely champion of the DLC dungeon is Impa. The lack of a forest dungeon is very obvious, but what may be less noticeable is the lack of horror-themed enemies. Where are my Skulltulas? The ReDeads? The Wallmasters? The mummies? The goddamn Poes? The game in general has some pretty piss-poor enemy variety, and the dungeons are even worse. ALL the dungeons only have two enemies - lame Guardian scouts and lame eyeballs that block the way that can easily be shot with an arrow to the knee. The eyeballs can spawn skulls in certain areas, but if you have eyeballs with which to see the eyeballs, you can easily get through the dungeons without seeing a single skull because you'll kill the eyes before you get close enough to spawn them. That is two (maybe three) different enemies which are THE SAME FOR EVERY DUNGEON. Let's compare to Ocarina of Time. Right off the bat, the first dungeon has Keese, Skulltulas, Deku Scrubs, and two different kinds of Deku Babas. That's FOUR different kinds of enemies (maybe five). The FIRST DUNGEON of a Zelda game made 20 years ago has arguably DOUBLE the enemy variety of ALL the dungeons in a Zelda game that came out in 2017. And the enemies just get more diverse as you progress to newer dungeons in Ocarina of Time. That's pathetic. The DLC dungeon would be a GREAT opportunity to rectify this bullshit.

But that's just a theory.

A GAME theory.

Thanks for watching.

Last edited by Truhan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks

Post by BurntTenda »

Truhan wrote:idea

Hetsu confirmed as a Champion, hopefully.

In other news, I learned that you need

Korok Seeds to get all the inventory expansion stuff.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

BurntTenda wrote: 7 years ago
Truhan wrote:idea

Hetsu confirmed as a Champion, hopefully.

In other news, I learned that you need

Korok Seeds to get all the inventory expansion stuff.
I can still make it work

with Impa as Champion.

The Divine Beast could be based out of Faron Woods. I also think it's very likely that the story is that it's a rogue beast that never had a Champion because it couldn't be uncovered in time. Impa or her granddaughter or whoever just becomes Champion after the fact. A Sheikah Champion makes as much sense as a Korok, but since the Sheikah were active fighters in the war against Ganon, it makes more sense for the Champion to be a Sheikah.

Also, I forgot about Wallmasters HOW COULD I FORGET ABOUT WALLMASTERS

warpio

Post by warpio »

Truhan: I get what you're saying about enemy variety being an issue, but it doesn't really bother me because the combat in this game is SO fun. I find there's a lot of variety just in the different situations that you have to adapt to.

Fighting a spear moblin requires very different strategies than fighting a club moblin or an archer moblin or a sword+shield moblin, and all of the elemental Lizalfos all behave differently and require different strategies. It's also very intense when you get outnumbered and the enemies go out of their way to surround you, or when you have octoroks or wizzrobes shooting at you at the same time that you're fighting some grunts. There's also a lot of cool situations like trying to get to a tower in the middle of a lake surrounded by electric wizzrobes and electric lizalfos.

In some ways I think the overworld itself kind of feels like a big dungeon with all of these unique situations that it throws at you.

Also I can't stress enough that rupees simply aren't an issue if you go exploring often and seek out all the treasure chests and ore deposits you can find. A lot of the more well hidden treasure chests will have 50, 100, or 300 rupee prizes or a very expensive ore in them... and you don't need that many ores for equipment upgrades, so you can feel comfortable selling them as long as you keep around 30 of each in reserve. Getting the best of every single piece of armor is optional anyway.
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

does anyone mind answering my question pls
warpio

Post by warpio »

Mata Hari, those orange pad things

are activated when you place an orange ball inside them, and from what I've seen they usually reveal a shrine. I don't know about the specific one near Kakariko though, I still haven't found the matching ball for that one.

Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

ic

e: I did just Google it and apparently I can forget about it for now so that's OK. Thanks.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I was gonna write up a review of this game but somehow this Gerudo woman's dialogue already said everything I wanted to
warpio

Post by warpio »

in case you didn't know, you can always find shelter from the rain and use wood+flint to make a campfire and sit by the fire to pass the time to make the rain go away instantly
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

warpio wrote: 7 years ago in case you didn't know, you can always find shelter from the rain and use wood+flint to make a campfire and sit by the fire to pass the time to make the rain go away instantly
Can't do that in the middle of climbing though Image
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

I discovered that don't-tread-on-the-flowers bullshit in the middle of the night when it was chucking it down with rain.

That made it significantly more challenging.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks

Post by BurntTenda »

Mata Hari wrote: 7 years ago don't-tread-on-the-flowers
Oh gosh, that was my least favorite shrine quest so far.

I got knocked into the flowers so many times by a monster, causing me to fail horribly.
And then I had to see the cutscene where she gets mega super mad twice.
warpio

Post by warpio »

I really like those shrine quests where you have to solve a riddle to make the shrine appear. It makes me feel so clever 8-)