(shouting)

Zelder Scrolls U: Hyrim (Breath of the Wild thread)

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Re: Zelder Scrolls U: Hyrim (Breath of the Wild thread)

Post by Mata Hari »

I've played BOTW for 23 hours and 55 minutes and have not beaten any of the dungeons
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

Truhan wrote: 7 years ago Well, yesterday was my first full day of not playing BOTW at all (I only turned on my Switch to check my play time on it). In celebration, I'm gonna post my top 5 Legend of Zelda waifus outside of BOTW.

5. Zelda

4. Zelda

3. Zelda

2. Zelda

1. Zelda

As you can clearly see, BOTW had some stiff competition when it came to the waifus.
Best Post 2017
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Mata Hari wrote: 7 years ago I've played BOTW for 23 hours and 55 minutes and have not beaten any of the dungeons
I have 63 hours and 45 minutes, and I still haven't beaten Ganon or touched a good chunk of the side missions I still want to do.

For reference, I 100%ed Twilight Princess HD in 30 hours. That's all the heart pieces (and remember, it takes 5 heart pieces to make a heart container in that game), all poes, all upgrades, all the stamps which were added in the HD version, plus Cave of Ordeals and Cave of Shadows. I think it's fair to say BotW is a pretty large game.
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

I think I'm just especially talented at wasting time.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

So with BotW adding voice acting, does anyone else find it weirder than ever that Link is still silent? I mean, I don't know if I want to go as far as saying I WANT Link to be voiced, but I have to say, some of the voice acted cutscenes are just super awkward because it will be Link and one other person, supposedly having a "conversation," but since Link never talks it's completely glaring that the other person is just having a conversation with themselves. It makes some of the dialogue really awkward, and it puts a damper on what could otherwise be some real relationships between Link and other characters.

I guess kind of slight spoilers for character names/cutscene premises ahead. Nothing from endgame cause I haven't even gotten there yet.

Like, for example, Revali looks like a total asshole with his Falco-esque "rivalry" with Link because Link isn't even doing anything. He's just like, an idiot with a sword that walks around and Revali is making fun of him and showing off and whatnot.
The only actual bit of character Link has really shown from what I've seen is the cutscene where Zelda tells him to leave her alone because she doesn't need his help, yet he continues to follow Zelda despite her protesting. But it seems like that could have had more of an emotional impact, or grown Link as a character if he was actually verbally saying why he was gonna continue to protect her, rather than simply mindlessly following her around like a lost puppy or because he was told to and he's a robot that must obey orders.
They've put Link in this weird in-between state, where they want him to be enough of a blank slate that the player is supposed to project themselves onto him, but they want characters to have deep relationships with him, and it just doesn't work together. I've even read some optional text I found where Zelda talks about how Link told her about the burden of being a great hero or something like that, and how much stress it caused him. And I just have a hard time even imagining Link opening up like that because of how much of a non-character he is in every cutscene. If they're gonna give him personality outside of cutscenes and then tell you about it, they might as well just make him a real character. They don't even let you choose Link's name in this game, which I believe is a first. At that point, it seems to me they should just go all in and make him a fully fleshed character with dialogue and whatnot.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks

Post by BurntTenda »

Ashan wrote: 7 years ago Link's personality stuff
Yeah, I feel pretty much the same way.

Maybe a more Skyward Sword route would have been better, with those pretty neat dialogue options.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Post by Truhan »

Day 2 of not touching my Switch: Had a dream during my siesta that Nintendo announced a port of Twilight Princess HD to the Switch. Needlessly said, I am very disappointed. Also, George Weidman has his own review out (with spoilers):

Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Reb
let's all be happy :)
First name: sam
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by Reb »

Ashan wrote: 7 years ago At that point, it seems to me they should just go all in and make him a fully fleshed character with dialogue and whatnot.
minor spoilers, but

in the castle

you can read stuff about how zelda gives him shit for not speaking to her and he finally opens up to her and she's surprised to find out that he's stressed with all of the weight and importance thrust upon him and worries about voicing things now because of how major a role he plays now

basically, that's the character they gave him, which i'm fine with. i've always liked silent heroes. the issue in this case isn't his lack of dialogue, it's that they had so many memories where he's the only other person in the conversation.

unrelated to that though, i've finished every shrine a few days ago. i'm like 120ish hours in.
working on the side quests, getting the amiibo gear that i can, and doing sick tricks on my shields, yo. seriously, i've been spending a lot of combat just shield jumping over enemies and seeing how neat i can get it looking. jumped over a flaming bokoblin yesterday.
if you shield jump, it acts as a double jump which is cool. you can even "triple jump" essentially if you jump, shield surf, then quickly un-equip your shield and double tap your bomb rune to spawn one behind you and quickly explode it so it launches you forward.
here's an example of it in action
コンコン
Medley
The younger sister
First name: It's ambiguous, really
Pronouns:

Post by Medley »

I HAVE THIS GAME

...FOR THE SWITCH

A CONSOLE I DON'T HAVE

help me
Pyon!
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

Medley wrote: 7 years ago I HAVE THIS GAME

...FOR THE SWITCH

A CONSOLE I DON'T HAVE

help me
That's easy. You need to buy a Switch then. Check Walmart and Target (I think Target is getting shipments this week).
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

The dungeon music was just okay for me so far (barring Hyrule Castle), but then Vah Rudania came along and oh my god I love it.

Just have the desert to get through now. Woo.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I've been stalling and cleaning up a bunch of sidequests before going to fight Ganon. I don't know why, I kinda want to just see how much I can get done without a guide or anything. I'll probably look up the remaining shrine locations when I can't find any more, but so far I've maxed out my stamina bar, and filled up the first row of hearts, and I think half of the second row. I can't remember how many hearts are in a row.

But I'm constantly shocked at how much optional content is in this game that had quite a bit of work put into it. It really makes it feel rewarding to run around this game and discover stuff on your own.

Oh, also protip that I didn't discover until like just recently. Press X to jump off your horse. I didn't know you could do this for way too long.
Medley
The younger sister
First name: It's ambiguous, really
Pronouns:

Post by Medley »

Truhan wrote: 7 years ago

...FOR THE SWITCH

A CONSOLE I DON'T HAVE

help me
That's easy. You need to buy a Switch then. Check Walmart and Target (I think Target is getting shipments this week).
locating the switch is not exactly my big problem here lol
Pyon!
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

Medley wrote: 7 years ago
Truhan wrote: 7 years ago

...FOR THE SWITCH

A CONSOLE I DON'T HAVE

help me
locating the switch is not exactly my big problem here lol
Oh, so you need help heisting one. You should probably find Ocean's Eleven to help you then.
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

So at Deya Lake there's a big ol' hollow log with a boulder at the bottom, what is up with that? I thought I had to Stasis the boulder up the log and into the stump at the top but unless it's really really picky it doesn't seem designed for that. Unless that is what you're supposed to do in which case they made it significantly more difficult than they oughta
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Mata Hari wrote: 7 years ago So at Deya Lake there's a big ol' hollow log with a boulder at the bottom, what is up with that? I thought I had to Stasis the boulder up the log and into the stump at the top but unless it's really really picky it doesn't seem designed for that. Unless that is what you're supposed to do in which case they made it significantly more difficult than they oughta
I found a similar suspicious-looking area yesterday that I couldn't figure out what to do.
Makar Island, it's a little island outside of the Korok Forest with a single tree in the middle and some wood you can light to make a bonfire. But I screwed around on that island for like 15 minutes and couldn't figure out anything to do.
Reb

Post by Reb »

Ashan wrote: 7 years ago I found a similar suspicious-looking area yesterday that I couldn't figure out what to do.
Makar Island, it's a little island outside of the Korok Forest with a single tree in the middle and some wood you can light to make a bonfire. But I screwed around on that island for like 15 minutes and couldn't figure out anything to do.
i just assumed that mekar island was a reference to the first dungeon in the original LoZ where its an island with a dead tree in the center, named after adorable makar for some reason

really though, ive no idea what the deal is with the boulder though, i messed around with it for a bit to no avail
コンコン
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

Yes it's very odd, it's​ like they were going to implement something there and never did.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I mean, the name is definitely a reference to Makar from the Wind Waker (although I do realize now, the island is Mekar Island, not Makar for some reason) but yeah. I have no idea what the point of it is.
Reb

Post by Reb »

Ashan wrote: 7 years ago I mean, the name is definitely a reference to Makar from the Wind Waker (although I do realize now, the island is Mekar Island, not Makar for some reason) but yeah. I have no idea what the point of it is.
yeah, half of the map is named in references and sometimes with slightly altered spelling. Tal Tal Peak is after Tal Tal Heights from LA, theres a place named after King Daphnes from WW, there's locations named after Tingle (misspelled to Tingel) and his bros, etc.
i think there's even a place named demise, which seems incredibly weird for the lore but it's almost for sure just a "haha references" thing

im still curious why the island is so out of the way for nothing really gained going to it.
コンコン
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks

Post by BurntTenda »

A place named Demise? what
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

Whelp. Now I finished all the sidequests. Now there's REALLY nothing to do :/

120 hours, if anyone's curious. That includes a lot of afking for Mipha's Grace, Daruk's Protection, and 999 arrow farming though.

Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I'm now at 75 hours play time and I still haven't fought Ganon

There's so much to do in this game
Reb

Post by Reb »

yeah, i'm like 140 hours or so in and i still need about 7 side quests. no clue where they are.
to be fair, the last 10 or 20 hours have been pretty much just running around with no goal, just stress free exploration and cooking things with no guide to make a recipe book

also, i found out last night that revali's VA is legit just a guy that likes to hang on /trash/ on 4chan, and he made this gem
コンコン
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

When the boots guy quest in Gerudo Town tells you to look for someone who knows the legend of the seven heroines, is that the vai who gives you the seven heroines shrine quest or is there someone else?