(shouting)

Talkhaus Pokemon Gimmick FFA

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Bedlam
mega cool super
First name: [insert word]lam
Pronouns: guy/man/bob.

Re: Pokemon Gimmick Free For All (title pending)

Post by Bedlam »

pholtos wrote:
Bedlam wrote:I'll join in on this. My gimmick's Shiritori teams. Six pokemon, the first letter of each name must link up with the last letter of the previous pokemon, and the pokemon must be sent out in this order. Additionally, this must apply to the first and last pokemon as well. A good example would be Farfetch'd-Dugtrio-Oddish-Heracross-Shellos-Slurpuff. No ubers, with the exception of megas that are ubers.
So what happens if, say, my team is Eevee, Electivire, Electrike, Electrode, Exeggcute for instance (I know this is only 5, not the point I'm making.) Could I literally bring them out in whatever order I wanted then?
Yes, all that matters is that you conform to Shiritori during the fight.
bbbrrr_it_cold
Always ambivalent, always lurking...
First name: Quagsire

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

I'm going to be building a test team and messing around with it (fighting some of my rl friends with similarly built teams) to refine the gimmick. I might post replays to see if people have suggestions for refinements. But the version right now is as follows:
"Who needs coverage?"
-All moves on your pokémon MUST match the pokémon's type (with limited exceptions, to be detailed below).
-Type-changing moves and abilities are banned. This includes Weather Ball, Hidden Power, Protean, Pixelate, etc. (EDIT: Pixelate and such are temporarily being allowed, since it only affects a few pokémon with the current ruleset. Normal moves are thus counted as the changed type.)(EDIT2: Roost is allowed, for the time being.)
-Mega-Evolutions that change type are banned.
-You are only allowed, at most, two pokémon of a certain type. (For example, you could have a Swellow and a Miltank, but no more Normal types. You could then add another flying type, like Zapdos, if you so desired.)
-OU ruleset (no ubers, sleep clause, Baton Pass clause, etc.)

EXCEPTIONS
You are allowed a total of two (changed from three) exceptions on your team, provided they follow these rules.
-You may only have one exception per pokémon.
-Exceptions are only allowed to be moves classified as "other" (non-attacking moves).
-The following moves cannot count as your exceptions: Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Stealth Rocks, Sticky Web, Defog, Rapid Spin, MAYBE MORE TO COME AFTER TESTING (currently thinking about saying status-inducing moves must be the same type as well, but I'm worried that might be too limiting).
Last edited by bbbrrr_it_cold 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
I have a youtube (currently only with stream highlights): (Don't watch it)
I have a twitter (where I say just about nothing): (Don't follow it)
HamsterZerg
True Pacifist or bust.
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: Oh, don't mind me. I'm just contacting you from the distant past. Carry on.

Post by HamsterZerg »

bkamakaze wrote:So what exactly in your book constitutes rookie level? All of those Pokemon are still within my catagory. Digimon level systems aren't applied to Pokemon, so catagorising them like that is a system that exists purely in your opinion. It would make it very hard for a challenger to approach a battle where only one person knows the roster. If you can find a definitive list of which Pokemon classify as "Rookies" then that would be fine, but as it stands, nobody but you knows the roster.

So yeah, what pholtos is saying is that your stipulation is kinda murky in the sense that as it stands, there's no solid foundation for people to understand what it actually is.
Alright, I'll think of something else...

How about this? My gimmick will now be that the team must have exactly one Normal-type, exactly one Grass-type, exactly one Bug-type, exactly one Poison-type, exactly one Water-type, and exactly one Ice-type. A team following this gimmick can be as follows: Sawsbuck, Beedrill, Walrein, Steelix, Zygarde, and Dialga.

Avatar by Skully (artwork) and bkamakaze (size). Thanks, guys!
Soma Cruz, Linkara, and Olimar for SMBX 2.0

Game King-style Story Briefs, a forum game by me
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

HamsterZerg wrote:How about this? My gimmick will now be that the team must have exactly one Normal-type, exactly one Grass-type, exactly one Bug-type, exactly one Poison-type, exactly one Water-type, and exactly one Ice-type. A team following this gimmick can be as follows: Sawsbuck, Beedrill, Walrein, Steelix, Zygarde, and Dialga.
That sounds fine, just as a note you might want to put a limit on things like ubers or legendaries or something. Whatever you decide feel free to add it on the sheet.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Re: Talkhaus Pokemon Gimmick FFA

Post by pholtos »

Opening thread updated. I've officially started this, so feel free to have at whoever you'd like. :3
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

I would like to add something to my gimmick. Or rather, those who are challenging me.

They can either stick to my stipulations....

...or go with Pokémon in the bottom 2 tiers of the low kick damage table (55 lbs or less) and 2.5 feet or less.

Oh, and no Pokémon that would be normally disallowed in Nintendo official rules (besides Phione).
Last edited by Zephyr_DragonLord 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:Oh, and no Pokémon that would be normally allowed in Nintendo official rules (besides Phione).
What does this mean?

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Kuupa
That's me on the beat, btw [:
First name: Alex
Pronouns: the male ones

Post by Kuupa »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:...or go with Pokémon in the bottom 2 tiers of the low kick damage table (55 lbs or less) and 2.5 feet or less.
I've already got the shorties gimmick covered, fren =P
So here we are. Plays have been enacted. Empires have come and gone. The mightiest have passed away and withered, alike the least. Fires have burned, thousandfold. Yet, did not the great wind serenely continue its course? Does not the blackbird still sing its song? Does not the mistletoe still dwell in the oak's crown? Forgotten, what once has been told. Veiled, the words that once so rang out. Shrouded, like the larva in its cocoon. Let him hear it, who will.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

pholtos wrote:
Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:Oh, and no Pokémon that would be normally allowed in Nintendo official rules (besides Phione).
What does this mean?
In short, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, all Deoxys forms, Manaphy, Shaymin, Darkrai, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion, along with any major legendaries, are not allowed. It's pretty much Flat Battle rules, except with 6 Pokémon at level 100, and Sleep and Freeze clauses.

I figured I would provide an option for a David vs. Goliath type of battle if challengers wanted to. (I could always disallow said option, if need be...)
Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Dizzybelle »

BK VS Spitty
THE UNDER 400 CLUB
ROUND 1 - http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-365393783

0:1

ROUND 2 - http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-365396724

0:2

Beaten at my own game, yo
I really underestimated Gastly and Graveller, but I learned a lot from this match, and I know my gimmick's limitations more now :3
ImageImageImage
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Oh yeah should these be a best of 3 or 1 or what? Forgot to talk about that.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

pholtos wrote:
What does this mean?
looks like he forgot the "dis" in front of allowed
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

Ivy wrote:
pholtos wrote:
What does this mean?
looks like he forgot the "dis" in front of allowed
Yeah, I forgot that part. I edited it up to prevent confusion to any future watchers.
(Also, maybe I should lower the height requirement for the heavy end... there are so few actual options, the way I set this up.... ah well, I'll wait a bit before making any more actual changes...)
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

So guys should it just be best of three or should it be like gym battles where you get one shot or should it be where you get as many tries as it takes or...

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Perhaps like the old stadium was?.. Where you can try as many times as it takes to get your badge, but each time you retried you had to change up your team a bit?
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Xirix wrote:Perhaps like the old stadium was?.. Where you can try as many times as it takes to get your badge, but each time you retried you had to change up your team a bit?
That could work, although in my gimmicks instance I'd also have to make a completely new team. :P

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

spittySynthyHands
A Projection of Memory onto Reality

Post by spittySynthyHands »

pholtos wrote:So guys should it just be best of three or should it be like gym battles where you get one shot or should it be where you get as many tries as it takes or...
Best of 3 seems fair enough, and allows for adjustment between matches. (Not to mention I've kinda sorta been assuming it implicitly...) Though I'd be fine with leaving it up to the leaders, as long as it isn't anything crazy like winning 100 times in a row. Which is unlikely.

Also:
Me vs. Zephyr_dragonlord: The Huge Mons Battle.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-365608921

Spitty: 1 - Zephyr: 0

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-365612834

Spitty: 1 - Zephyr: 1

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-365616307

Spitty: 2 - Zephyr: 1

If sub-400 is a shootout between glass cannons, this is more of a tank fight. Very good games either way.

For more información please reread this post.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

I actually made my team in minutes. I... wasn't expecting to actually get past the Snorlax. Now I know how to alter my team for next time...

(It was about time)
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

So for the ones hosting the gimmicks do you guys think it'd be ok for them to mess with their own teams and improve them as they face people? (I mean in between challenges of course.)

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

bbbrrr_it_cold
Always ambivalent, always lurking...
First name: Quagsire

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

pholtos wrote:So for the ones hosting the gimmicks do you guys think it'd be ok for them to mess with their own teams and improve them as they face people? (I mean in between challenges of course.)
To be honest, I would like the ability to do so, mostly if I'm finding my team performing really poorly (or if I face a few challengers in a row using similar tactics, I might want something to combat that specific tactic for the future).

In regards to the amount of battles in a match, I think best two out of three would be fine. I wouldn't be opposed to just single battles, but I have always liked the idea of being able to adjust mid-match if needbe.
I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
I have a youtube (currently only with stream highlights): (Don't watch it)
I have a twitter (where I say just about nothing): (Don't follow it)
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

I think it should ultimately be up to the "leaders" themselves, but best of 3 sounds good to me. I also like the idea of having to change up your team a bit before you can challenge somebody a second time. (that is, to another set of "best of three." Nothing wrong with keeping the same teams for all three matches there)
pholtos wrote:So for the ones hosting the gimmicks do you guys think it'd be ok for them to mess with their own teams and improve them as they face people? (I mean in between challenges of course.)
As for this, that sounds fine as long as their teams don't start varying too wildly. The concept of having more or less a consistent set team for challengers to overcome really jives with me.
I don't really get it but okay
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Behold the majesty of my gimmick. XD

Me vs cheez8
Match 1
Match 2
Match 3

Winner:

Me! But just barely. XD

You have no hopes of defeating my first pokemon. :P
But more seriously, this was a good learning experience, and it shows how crazy my gimmick can be. I had basically a potpourri of differently powered mons.

Good battle, cheez. :3

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

So after noticing a glaring issue I changed up the rules for my gimmick. Megas and such are now allowed, levels are now a part of the gimmick, see sheet for full details.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Cheez vs. BKamakaze, in the Under 400 club!
Match 1
Match 2
Match 3

Winner:

Me! And there was no Match 3 after all.

Considering I made this team in the dead of night, I really didn't expect it to be so brutally effective... Sorry BK! ^^;
Ferroseed is a Drifloon-level bro, forever and always.
I don't really get it but okay
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

MonkeyShrapnel Vs. Bkamakaze

Match 1

Match 2

Match 3

Winner:

Monkey!

I wasn't expecting Mawile to be so good here, Sorry BK!
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)