(shouting)

Fiya Emblum

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
momo

Fiya Emblum

Post by momo »

Hiya talk about fire emblem here (preferably the new one)
Make sure to keep spoilers in a spoiler thingy

The third path for fates got released today
Schmiggety
Special Edition
First name: First name: First name:

Re: Fiya Emblum

Post by Schmiggety »

I was wondering when people were gonna start talking about fire emblem around here.
I'm only on chapter 22 of Conquest hard mode because I've been juggling that and an ftb server I've been playing on. Pretty good stuff.
Wah
Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Dizzybelle »

while i'm not a massive fan of the "weapons don't have durability anymore" mechanic, i really like Fates
people are whining about it but i enjoy it a lot

the changed support mechanics are one thing i like a lot about it
in awakening pair-ups were kinda OP, by splitting them into offensive/defensive pairs it really improved stuff

also i couldnt wait to change my avatars class so they could put some damn shoes on
we're fighting a war here man
you're gonna get splinters and stone-bruises and shit
put some boots on
health and safety

setsuna best birthright waifu yall can fight me

ImageImageImage
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I've been slowly playing through Nohr (Hard) since January and I'm only on chapter 22. It's alright (way better than the piece of trash that Awakening was) at least in terms of gameplay but it's still not as good as I wanted it, especially considering I've been putting it aside for 2 other games (Stella glow and Ultimate nes remix of all things).

Nohr's gameplay has honestly been fixed since awakeshit and I wouldn't mind if the next FEs were based off of it. The level design is excellent, with a lot of objectives variety (escape, capture, killing a fleeing commander, and some defend maps are brutal) and gimmicks (I was pleasantly surprised with how well the Dragon vein was implemented). Some enemy setups are evil and will require you to really position your units well to split them effectively.
Which is another good point of this game, the new debuff weapons/skills are making soloing/duoing very difficult/impossible and you are really rewarded for using all your units well. Turn limit and optional objectives (there's quite a lot of thieves in this game) push towards that direction as well.
I'm not sure how to feel about the removal of weapon durability. They compensated it rather well since now every weapon has unique properties and all can be useful in different situations, so while it diminishes the resource management of older FEs, it's certainly better than awakeshit "xdddd infinite broken weapons because infinite money"

Pair up had been pretty much fixed as kamakaze said, it's no longer strictly better to be in pair-up mode and actually changes gameplay whether you're paired up or not. I think part of it is thanks to the better designed maps (you can't turtle anymore in most cases)
I like the children better in this game than Awakening but I think it's thanks to the fact that you can't infinite grind like a dumbass and the children end up with broken stats and just replace the parents. In Fates they are actual new characters that you have to choose whether to use or not.
However they removed some stuff and it really doesn't make much sense. I like that they kept the FE8's branching promotions, but what's the point when you remove half of the base classes in the process??? Where are the myrmidons? The lancers? The axeknights? axe generals? The different mage types and the magic triangle?? (I guess the last one was to make room for kunai/shuriken, but they could still have an internal magic triangle like in the older games)

I suppose the music is pretty good as well.

That's really it for the good points though. The story is absolute GARBAGE. Why the fuck would you advertise "hey guys you can totally choose your own path and decide what to do" (even though tons of games did that before WITHOUT SPLITTING THE GAME IN 3 CARTRIGES but whatever), if (mild early game spoilers I guess though I don't think many will care about that joke of a plot, and I haven't finished the game yet anyway)

no matter which side you're on the "villain" is fucking Garon every time??? And you can't actually side with Nohr because the whole thing is "hhuuuurrr Hoshido did nothing wrong guys so we're merely pretending we are their enemies" what the FUCK Intelligent systems.

Like, the storyline of the series has never been the main focus and was always secondary to the gameplay, but even by FE standards this is unbelievably stupid. I mean even in the TRPG genre, Langrisser had branching paths and decisions that actually mattered, with multiple endings, on ONE cartridge, 20 years before this shit. At least I'm glad I could play with the original voices and the fan translation so that I don't have NOA's added layer of trash.
Fortunately they didn't pull an FE10 and the supports are still enjoyable which kind of saves it in that aspect.

Overall it's pretty fun but I would still rank it under more than half of the series (definitely under FE4,5,6,7,9,10. It's on par with FE8 and FE12 I'd say)

I haven't played Hoshido yet but from what I've heard it's pretty much Awakeshit 2 with rout maps for days so I'm not sure if I'll ever try it. I'll probably skip straight to "neutral" path (and I'll hope the next FEs will be based on Nohr and not Hoshido)

Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Also there's a cool itv here

In which you can find out that the responsible for phoenix mode was the CASUAL FUCK WHO MADE THE STORY

Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)

Post by Dizzybelle »

i feel like with this thread's title i am legally obligated to link this

for real tho im like super hyped for that game
maybe im just weeaboo trash ;n;
ImageImageImage
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I'm pretty curious about this game. I was afraid they'd create an abomination by dubbing the songs but since they aren't I'm probably going to buy it

momo

Post by momo »

Jesuiscontent wrote:I haven't played Hoshido yet but from what I've heard it's pretty much Awakeshit 2 with rout maps for days so I'm not sure if I'll ever try it. I'll probably skip straight to "neutral" path (and I'll hope the next FEs will be based on Nohr and not Hoshido)
Yeah birthright is pretty much almost always "route the enemy" or "defeat the boss" and it does get kinda stale. And yeah it's a lot like awakening. I really kind of miss the magic weapon triangle. I think integrating magic and bows into the base triangle made it a little too simplified. I played a little bit into Revelation and it already seems a lot more interesting. I think birthright was definitely made more for beginners (as was awakening).
momo

Post by momo »

oh man i beat birthright
the last few missions get really tough

ELISE DIES AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA NO

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I loved the first Fire Emblem we got over here (the one with Lyn, Eliwood, and Hector) and have also beaten Shadow Dragon. I think we've got every one but the Gamecube one, so my batting average for beating or even playing these games is pretty low. I think the only other one I ever touched was Sacred Stones, but I didn't care for it.
naps
the plural of a nap
First name: TJ
Pronouns: she/they

Post by naps »

hi! im a big fire emblem nerd, but ive only played rekka no ken, sacred stones, awakening, and im in the middle of conquest (hard casual mode for now)

i dont really like where the series is going in terms of the extreme focus on children/romance supports, but im enjoying conquest's storyline so far. i also like the mechanic where each character has a skill based on their personality, making it where characters are less exchangeable for each other

anyway hit me up with that FE discourse
Schmiggety
Special Edition
First name: First name: First name:

Post by Schmiggety »

I beat Conquest hard mode today. Final chapter sure was a thing. I really liked conquest at first, but I was enjoying it less and less towards the end there.
Wah
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

It would seem a lot of people have played/playing Fates. I personally don't think I'll be playing Fates any time soon, and plus I have a bunch of older Fire Emblems to beat. I am playing Radiant Dawn, which is a great game mechanically, but very weak story-wise. It is also a freaking long game. I am also playing Mystery of the Emblem, which is so slow, but nothing compared to FE1 and FE2. I personally think that Genealogy of the Holy War (FE4) is the best FE, although some design decisions are very questionable, oh like the fact that you can't trade. You can give items to other people by way of selling it in the pawn shop and having someone else buy it. The names are in Awakening for FE4 and other JP only FEs are dumb (Sety to Ced, Nodion to Nordion, Celice to Seliph, Holsety to Forseti, and on and on...) Also how the hell can Lucina not kill not Mediuth ( I forgot the dragon's name, I think its Grima) when Marth could slay a ton of dragons no problem. The Falchion in awakening looks stupid as well as the Awakening Tyrfing(It actually looks like a weapon in FE4)

Fire Emblems I've beaten:
Genealogy of the Holy War
The Sword of Seals
Rekka no Ken
Sacred Stones
Path of Radiance
Awakening
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I finished Conquest today as well and it was pretty underwhelming. I mean, it was good to see the traditional MVP recap and the little pieces of text that say what each of your units are going to do now, but the ending itself was just... there? I mean, every FE I beat (bar Awakening, kek) gave me goosebumps at the end, but here it was just... "oh ok cool u r king now hooray"

Kind of appropriate to the rest of the game (story-wise) I guess? Though I suppose the "true" ending is in Revelations but eh, not sure if I'll be motivated enough to play it someday. Also the last map itself was alright with a few tricky spots and having to play around the boss' special wave shit, but the boss himself was pretty weak I felt like. The real difficulty was getting to him, but after that he just gets murdered. I still lost 2 units (Zero and Midoriko) because I'm a dumbass (I forgot the boss' wave destroyed the white blocks at the start of the turn and not at the end so Zero got gangbanged, and I fucked up with Midoriko, both her and her clone got hit by the wave at the same time and it dropped her HP to 1 and some faceless asshole killed her ;_;), but since the game doesn't save after the credits...

HatKid

Post by HatKid »

I finished Radiant Dawn in 65 some hours. A long and boring epilogue, along some disappointing plot twists. Rebirth (4) is super annoying with the spirits that can teleport anywhere on the map, but luckily

Sephiran

can be defeated pretty easily. The top five people with wins are: Ike at #1, Mia at #2, Astrid at #3, Soren at #4, and Edward at #5. I didn't even bring Edward to endgame and he still made the top five.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

HatKid wrote:Mia at #2
Good taste
53051313_p0.jpg
53051313_p0.jpg (83.47 KiB) Viewed 4260 times

HatKid

Post by HatKid »

Jesuiscontent wrote:
Hey, that's a cool image, where'd you find it?
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

HatKid wrote:
Jesuiscontent wrote:
Hey, that's a cool image, where'd you find it?
pixiv (see filename)
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php? ... d=53051313