(shouting)

the salty spitoon

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
momo

the salty spitoon

Post by momo »

this is a place to be salty about video games

how about that paper mario
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: the salty spitoon

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

i have enough tears to fill a cereal bowl, eat the cereal, then repeat for 10 years
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Kuupa
That's me on the beat, btw [:
First name: Alex
Pronouns: the male ones

Post by Kuupa »

I would like to reserve a spot here for at least Other M and Federation Force.
So here we are. Plays have been enacted. Empires have come and gone. The mightiest have passed away and withered, alike the least. Fires have burned, thousandfold. Yet, did not the great wind serenely continue its course? Does not the blackbird still sing its song? Does not the mistletoe still dwell in the oak's crown? Forgotten, what once has been told. Veiled, the words that once so rang out. Shrouded, like the larva in its cocoon. Let him hear it, who will.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

nintendo in general, since their products nowadays seem to rely on dlc and buying rare toys to get everything

when i buy a video game, i want the video game, not kinda sorta the video game. remember when you used to unlock things by playing?
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

add the whole content id thing, and I see zero reason to support Nintendo at this point.

Not that I have any interest in PS4 or XBONE, either. PC master whatever.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I don't get why the PS4 is selling well to this day. It has Bloodborne, Vita ports, and a bunch of games that run better on PC. The only difference is that it didn't make the mistakes MS did with the XB1... and then Street Fighter V happened.
DrTapeworm
IT'S NEITHER KISSY NOR CUTIE, IT'S TRASH
Pronouns: they/them

Post by DrTapeworm »

Yeah I'm bummed out about King K. Rool's absence too
"The apex predator Spinosaurus, a dinosaur, would later develop a similar sail in an example of convergent evolution, thereby cheating Dimetrodon out of royalties." -Sad Dinosaur Facts
Kapus
Master of Hiccup
First name: boogity boo
Pronouns: Vegetable

Post by Kapus »

New paper mario is crushing my hopes and dreams so far

At least Kirby still looks alright
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I think with Paper Mario it's like, there has got to be a massive invisible contingent of people who actually liked Sticker Star, otherwise Nintendo wouldn't be repeating what looked to us overly-invested nerds to be a failed experiment.

...Right?
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

man I miss Crash spyro
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

I'm sad that it is far easier to play with people who you will never meet over the internet than it is to play with the guy on the couch next to you.
warpio

Post by warpio »

I don't like that people are emphasizing the world map, of all things, to be the main problem they have with the new Paper Mario style.

If the world map was the worst problem Sticker Star had, then Sticker Star could've actually been a GREAT game. That game had other, MUCH worse problems than that, and I don't think that the fact that this new Paper Mario has a world map should be considered a big enough issue for people to rage about. The battle system sharing similarities with Sticker Star is the only real red flag that people should be mad about at this point.

And I mean, you guys are all raocow fans, so you should know better than anyone that it's entirely possible to have game world that is interesting, well designed, and full of life and creativity and exploration, while also having a 2D world map. Not to mention Super Mario RPG used a world map, and it blows my mind that people who were genuine fans of that game back when it came out, are now raging about Paper Mario having one.

Don't get me wrong, I am genuinely worried for the series, and hoping with all my might that Color Splash will fix at least SOME of the problems that Sticker Star had... but I just don't see how a 2D world map is considered to be in the main crux of these problems. Everything that the original Paper Mario did, could've just as easily been done while using a world map in between certain loading zones, while the game world itself remained the same size, and it wouldn't have negatively affected the game AT ALL.
warpio

Post by warpio »

so, I guess this is the de-facto Color Splash discussion/speculation thread? I seem to be alone in the opinion that it's still not too late to hold onto a sliver of hope that Color Splash will end up being good in its own way... And after seeing this analysis video, my hope for this game has gone up a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFmC9GEKcgY

Looks like there are some major improvements over Sticker Star from what we can tell so far.
  • Your attack inventory seems to be based on card decks this time, and you have to color in the cards you use with one of the 3 paint colors... which means there will be much more of a strategy element to the battles than there was in SS, where you always had access to your full inventory of stickers.
  • Seems like attacking enemies is how you refill your paint meter, and you need paint in order to color in parts of the environment to uncover collectibles and save NPCs. Which means, unlike Sticker Star, YOU ACTUALLY HAVE A REASON TO BATTLE ENEMIES NOW.
  • The environments/atmosphere itself looks REALLY good, better than any other Paper Mario game yet... There's so much attention to detail in the stuff like the cardboard land/building structures and the construction paper skybox...
  • The stages on the world map actually have names, instead of just being numbered stages called 1-1, 1-2, etc. The stages don't even seem to be grouped by a common "world theme" anymore like Sticker Star's Forest, Desert, Snow worlds etc, making it seem like they're going for a more original, coherent world design this time around.
  • The stars above the stage name seem to indicate there will multiple objectives per stage, which, going back to the above point, could mean that the stages have more story added to them after you initially go through the stage to restore color to it.
  • Seems like the town changes and gets more lively/decorative as you rescue more of the toads/NPCs. And going back to the above point, this could mean that the stages themselves become more town-like and have more story added to them after you initially go through the stage to restore color to it.
  • That scene with the giant fan blowing the enemies away, while it might give you bad memories of Sticker Star at first, on closer inspection it's actually a lot more realistic-looking and a lot better animated than before... just going back again to how gorgeous this game looks graphically...
You know what? I might actually be fine with this as the next Paper Mario game... who knows, maybe Nintendo is onto something with taking Sticker Star's style and improving on it, and making it more of a proper RPG that actually fits into the Paper Mario series. Hopefully those special attacks aren't going to turn boss battles into bad puzzles like they did in SS (although it was possible to beat most of the bosses using normal stickers).

Now, if only they could drop the whole "no new characters/no story/mute Bowser" nonsense that Sticker Star had going on. Or at least give the generic Toad NPCs some interesting and fun side-stories and such like the first 3 games had... I'm still concerned though because there was no evidence of that in the footage we've seen, but it's still possible... And I know it's unlikely, but I REALLY hope they bring back the tattle ability, so you can talk to the paint bucket thing and get some flavor text in each area... that alone would sell the game for me.
momo

Post by momo »

this thread is just for complaining about video games. whether it's the new paper mario, federation force, or whatever is up to you peeps
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Having what will probably amount to more silent Bowsers and villages populated only by flat Toads isn't going to make me interested in another Paper Mario, Nintendo.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Dizzybelle »

its been 8 years and i still havent forgiven nintendo for this
this isnt advance wars
its a super edgy strategy game thats pretending to be my beloved advance wars

;n;
ImageImageImage
momo

Post by momo »

bkamakaze wrote:its been 8 years and i still havent forgiven nintendo for this
this isnt advance wars

;n;
i wouldn't be surprised if this game killed the series tbh :c
TheFinalSentinel

Rusbojis wrote:
this isnt advance wars

;n;
i wouldn't be surprised if this game killed the series tbh :c
Guys, it's obviously the bad timeline where Andy died in his sword dual against Sturm.
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Still want another Klonoa game.

And waiting for Sanic to get another decent game past Rise of Lyric.

Who has the most?
TheFinalSentinel

Katazuki wrote:Still want another Klonoa game.
One on the list of many series.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Katazuki wrote:Still want another Klonoa game.

And waiting for Sanic to get another decent game past Rise of Lyric.
Rise of Lyric was decent???
Schmiggety
Special Edition
First name: First name: First name:

Post by Schmiggety »

this isnt advance wars

;n;
This is my favorite advance wars don't kill me
Wah
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

lol at the folks complaining about Days of Ruin when the GBA games and Dual Strike had over-emphasized Commanding Officers. Days of Ruin was a much-needed reboot, despite failing miserably at reviving the series due to OMG EDGY.

I didn't get Sticker Star, what all was bad about it?
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

It wasn't a traditional gain experience points RPG like the two beloved entries (Paper Mario & TTYD), and it took out a lot of the personality of the characters and originality of the environment. It also didn't suck like Super Paper Mario though, so there's that.

I'll add one of my own. I'm sad that people think Mega Man 10 is the boring sequel when Mega Man 9 was worse in design. I'll give 9 the edge on weapons easily, but 10 had the better levels and boss fights.