(shouting)

Determination.

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
underFlo
you spinda right round
First name: Florence
Pronouns: they/she

Re: Determination.

Post by underFlo »

Wolfolotl wrote:pay one extra dollar for your toriel to get HUGE GIGANTIC MUSCLES
More like METTATON'S FACE

Also I'd argue Undertale does have replay value because of the different routes, and I personally love the gameplay a lot.

But yeah it gets a bit annoying when you're seeing it literally everywhere without any relevance. Like spaghetti get mentioned and all of a sudden there's Papyrus memes all over the place.
But I feel like that's really a vocal minority and most people in the fanbase don't do that because it just gives off a bad impression.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Spinda wrote:But yeah it gets a bit annoying when you're seeing it literally everywhere without any relevance. Like spaghetti get mentioned and all of a sudden there's Papyrus memes all over the place.
But I feel like that's really a vocal minority and most people in the fanbase don't do that because it just gives off a bad impression.
Wow.
It's almost like you just described fandoms.
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

sedron wrote: Again, I'm confused. Are jokes and humor just in general memey now? The internet is going to take anything remotely funny and run it into the ground, and its been doing that for years. If you let that ruin jokes for you humor as a whole probably isn't gonna work out that great for you.
I think he meant memey in the sense that the game's lines were intentionally designed to be turned into memes. Its not really the case, the game just had good writing that the internet just couldnt let go of and turned into a running gag and then a meme.

and its hard not to have a joke ruined for you, because everything is going to be less funny if its not the first time you've heard it.
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

sedron wrote:Again, I'm confused. Are jokes and humor just in general memey now? The internet is going to take anything remotely funny and run it into the ground, and its been doing that for years. If you let that ruin jokes for you humor as a whole probably isn't gonna work out that great for you.
Sorry for the late response.

So yeah, jokes and humor in general aren't always "memey." (or prone to get used all over the internet, to be more precise here) Stuff like slapstick, puns, or one-liners typically aren't prone to be memey, because they're only good in the moment. So they're perfectly fine, because you'd likely just hear them referenced every once in a while in a group of people who have already played the game or something, if at all. However, stuff like the "This aspect fills you with determination" lines and the temmie village stuff can easily be shoved into anything, because they're very formulated and easy for someone to pick up and play around with, just like a typical internet meme.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Money

Post by Money »

lemme throw my two cents in and say that the term "meme game" is the fucking dumbest thing ive heard all day
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
randoguy101
spicey tomato

Post by randoguy101 »

honestly if you want to really experience EVERYTHING the game has to offer even doing the obligatory three runs won't cut it. there's just too many things the game takes into account in certain places. for example sans'

judgement

changes in combination with how many times you've heard it, your current

LV, and whether or not you've killed papyrus

, undyne's pre-battle dialogue in a neutral run has enough variations that you literally couldn't see them all in just one run, many characters' dialogue, especially flowey's, changes depending on

how many resets you've done, and what you did in previous iterations

not to mention there's some stuff in the game that most people just won't experience ever, either due to rarity, obscurity or being literally impossible to find without hacking (this in particular comes to mind). the game was frankly meant to be played a large number of times, or at least took people who would do that into account
- randoguy101
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

randoguy101 wrote:the game was frankly meant to be played a large number of times, or at least took people who would do that into account
Honestly? Way I see it, the game was more meant to be played by a large number of people, a small number of times. Like that one tumblr user's idea for writing a book, but having 10 different variations of the last chapter, and randomly sending them out to publishers.

Not to mention that someone playing undertale hundreds of times in a desperate attempt to see every single variation and get any sort of enjoyment out of it? Sort of a plot point.

ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
randoguy101
spicey tomato

Post by randoguy101 »

Whimsical Calamari wrote:

Not to mention that someone playing undertale hundreds of times in a desperate attempt to see every single variation and get any sort of enjoyment out of it? Sort of a plot point.

oh certainly. that's exactly why I think it's what toby intended to happen. I think the player, or at least the player that would end up seeing everything in the game, is supposed to identify with

flowey

more than anything else

toby at the very least knew people would play it a stupidly large number of times, kind of like how he knew even when the demo was made that people would dissect the game's code to find secrets, though of course whether or not he "condones" it is another story. I personally think the stuff the game tells you in regards to that is meant to be more of an interesting idea to ponder, or perhaps an additional meta-challenge to

stop playing the game,

rather than some statement that people who don't do so are assholes
- randoguy101
Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOI!

(i dare if thats already posted! the search didnt find a fuck of that)
100% Approved!
Patooties are Talkhaus' best thing!
So... I just put in my Youtube-Channel
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

thanks to walmart i may now continue my journey to becoming complete undertale trash

ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e
First name: lily
Pronouns: she/her/xe/xem

Post by Pikabread »

and with that, I have completed every run, and presumably should be "done" with undertale. though tbh I won't be surprised if I have the itching to go back and do genocide again, like aside from the bits of guilt tripping that was really fun and the new home area felt awesome even if frisk/chara was kind of an asshole during it

also like, the wait time you get upon opening the game afterwords with the wind and stuff, people say that that's like the game REMEMBERS YOUR SINS or whatever but IMO it's because chara literally killed frisk. you're dead. and like chara you can't come back and reset things without the determination/power/whatever to do so. Also the world is destroyed that's probably important too
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Pikabread wrote:and with that, I have completed every run, and presumably should be "done" with undertale. though tbh I won't be surprised if I have the itching to go back and do genocide again, like aside from the bits of guilt tripping that was really fun and the new home area felt awesome even if frisk/chara was kind of an asshole during it

also like, the wait time you get upon opening the game afterwords with the wind and stuff, people say that that's like the game REMEMBERS YOUR SINS or whatever but IMO it's because chara literally killed frisk. you're dead. and like chara you can't come back and reset things without the determination/power/whatever to do so. Also the world is destroyed that's probably important too
what the heck. why didn't you record footage
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e
First name: lily
Pronouns: she/her/xe/xem

Post by Pikabread »

Ivy wrote:what the heck. why didn't you record footage
I considered streaming it and I kind of regret not but by the time I had realized that was a thing I could do I was too far to go back. besides in a way I was 'alone' and that was kind of fitting

still regret it tho
randoguy101
spicey tomato

Post by randoguy101 »

Pikabread wrote:also like, the wait time you get upon opening the game afterwords with the wind and stuff, people say that that's like the game REMEMBERS YOUR SINS or whatever but IMO it's because chara literally killed frisk. you're dead. and like chara you can't come back and reset things without the determination/power/whatever to do so. Also the world is destroyed that's probably important too

well, you saw what chara did at the end. they attacked the game window, and it did the shaking effect that monsters do when they're hurt. so they effectivelly killed the game itself

- randoguy101
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

Overall entirety spoilers (inline since reg. spoilers are broken):

One of the things I really enjoy/find interesting about Undertale is there there are no true villains to the story.

Well, besides Chara.
And you, in the Genocide Run.

But, with those exceptions, in the standard runs, everyone that gets in Frisk's way is just acting on their personal convictions, as twisted as some of them may becoughcoughfloweycoughcough. And even he is just a victim of bad circumstances, who has a redemption arc as Asriel.

Also, something about the Genocide Run. Since you really have to go out of your way in order to make it happen, the game responds in turn by really going out of its way to make you suffer for it. That is super cool.

tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

this is art
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Juliana Shanoa
Happily-Married Lesbian

Post by Juliana Shanoa »

whats a undertale
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Guys, some people have done some digging in the files and uncovered an early version of Megalovania.

Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Finished the other two endings.
Currently near the end of the Genocide run. Just started the bad times.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

This channel hs some pretty neat undertale stepmani charts and other things. Looks a lot like the original ones. They do contain a lot of spoilers though-

Euparkeria
Palaeontological Platformerer

Post by Euparkeria »

So...

Answer simply "yes" or "no": This Gaster dude... is he exclusive to any type of run? And if: what run?
Cool banner by Neutron Star!
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

Euparkeria wrote:
Answer simply "yes" or "no": This Gaster dude... is he exclusive to any type of run? And if: what run?
No. Gaster is typically only found by messing around with your save data in a particular way. He's… a bit of an oddity.
Euparkeria
Palaeontological Platformerer

Post by Euparkeria »

Alright. Thanks.
Cool banner by Neutron Star!