(shouting)

Determination.

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Re: Determination.

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

finished a pacifist run a couple days ago and had to avoid all mentions of this game until recently because it was seriously messing with my head
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

Finished both the Neutral and Pacifist route last night.

Flowey what the fuck

Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Whimsical Calamari

FluffiMasta wrote:Finished both the Neutral and Pacifist route last night.

Flowey what the fuck

the stages of pacifist run flowey: anger, panic, DETERMINATION, paranoia, confusion, FEELING

Vinyl
The anti-hero nobody wanted, but everyone needed
First name: Just call me CJ
Pronouns: Is this a meme

Post by Vinyl »

Wolfolotl wrote:the Centipede was added in the Totally Real Full Hard Mode Patch, where it replaces muffet after you see a cutscene where it gruesomely eats her alive

other changes in the Totally Real Full Hard Mode Patch: there are two alphyses, jerry now attacks with dorito bits, undyne's theme is now an acapella version of Battle Against a True Hero no matter what run you're on (though all other music stays the same), the green fire girl and the skateboard girl in hotland are now having their wedding, mettaton drives around in a rolls royce instead of blasting off, there's a whimsalot dating segment, papyrus uses his special attack for real, asgore turns out to be some dogs in a big cape and a beard, goku is a shopkeeper in snowdin, and Apple Girlington becomes the final final true pacifist run boss
This is a joke/fanmade thing, right?
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Vinyl wrote:
Wolfolotl wrote:the Centipede was added in the Totally Real Full Hard Mode Patch, where it replaces muffet after you see a cutscene where it gruesomely eats her alive

other changes in the Totally Real Full Hard Mode Patch: there are two alphyses, jerry now attacks with dorito bits, undyne's theme is now an acapella version of Battle Against a True Hero no matter what run you're on (though all other music stays the same), the green fire girl and the skateboard girl in hotland are now having their wedding, mettaton drives around in a rolls royce instead of blasting off, there's a whimsalot dating segment, papyrus uses his special attack for real, asgore turns out to be some dogs in a big cape and a beard, goku is a shopkeeper in snowdin, and Apple Girlington becomes the final final true pacifist run boss
This is a joke/fanmade thing, right?
It's real
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Wow, the creator really let himself go for that one. (Still need to play Undertale...)
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

Haven't fallen asleep yet, have an Undertale video.

Vinyl
The anti-hero nobody wanted, but everyone needed
First name: Just call me CJ
Pronouns: Is this a meme

Post by Vinyl »

I finished watching ProJared's UnderTale Let's Play (Mainly because while I was at a convention I went to his panel and someone asked if he was going to play UnderTale)
And I have to say that I 100% agree with everything he said and his thoughts on the game. I'm glad he dove into it and gave it a fair shot, but I really dislike how the rabid fans ruined a lot of it.
(Plus the actual logical YouTube comments on the Finale for it are actually quite nice and I agree with some of them.)
Learning-Timebuster
First name: Lυka
Pronouns: xe or she

Post by Learning-Timebuster »

heads up the game updated
"i like bugs"
t
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

Vinyl wrote:the rabid fans ruined a lot of it.
I was gonna rant about this, but in the end it would have boiled down to "I wish people would just like or dislike things on their own merits."

Also I decided to watch the last little bit of ProJared's LP to hear his thoughts, and unsurprisingly I don't really agree with him at all. Dude likes Skyward Sword though so I guess it checks out.
Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Dizzybelle »

so apparently from the patch a bunch of miscellaneous things were changed (nothing huge, mostly flavour text changes for post-game things)
here's a list i found (they may not all be true, because this IS the internet):
1: san’s bad drawing of three smiling people and the words “don’t forget” written on it. fandom explodes. could be gaster as the 3rd person

2: Asriel is NOT gone. if you’ve already seen him and reloaded he vanishes, with or without patch. apparently that information is not spreading around and people are freaking out. goatbab is safe, you’ve just already talked to him, dummy.

3: nicepants confirmed

4: piano puzzle answer now appears if you linger in front of the statue while it’s playing

5: the blue color of the stand-still attacks are now a different shade for those with colorblindness to see better.

6: fun no longer has to be capitalized, which makes Gaster encounters officially CANON which means GASTER IS REAL (im adding to this because apparently his room is now available through random chance in game, as well as by modifying code, his voice has also changed: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0BgtvCTf94X ).

7: PAPYRUS HAS BLASTERS CONFIRMED- no mercy run, spare pap, check the box of bones in his room before the date starts.

8: enemy stats are changed. most increased though no change in gameplay, others are made funny, like tem’s check: “RATED TEM OUTTA TEM” and mad dummy’s check: DEF: YES

9: still can’t fight annoying dog in the secret room, paraphrasing: “the holes in the fabric are growing”

10: possible new chara text for genocide ending???? only saw one post of that, idk how to check that stuff myself. but from what I saw it’s juicy hehehehe.

11: mostly bug fixes like toby said there would be.

12: other minor coding changes/string changes that I don’t understand cuz I don’t dig around through coding crap.

-source: http://buddingcompanii.tumblr.com/
plus some images of the changed photo album text
ImageImageImage
randoguy101
spicey tomato

Post by randoguy101 »

bkamakaze wrote:so apparently from the patch a bunch of miscellaneous things were changed (nothing huge, mostly flavour text changes for post-game things)
here's a list i found (they may not all be true, because this IS the internet):
6: fun no longer has to be capitalized, which makes Gaster encounters officially CANON which means GASTER IS REAL (im adding to this because apparently his room is now available through random chance in game, as well as by modifying code, his voice has also changed: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0BgtvCTf94X )
Gaster is indeed encounterable randomly by people just playing the game normally and this makes me happy, but that's not supposed to be gaster's voice. That's a hidden file in the game that originally contained a number of text to speech people telling nosy dataminers not to spoil the secrets they found before they were found in-game. Since pretty much everything has been found by this point and toby doesn't care about datamining anymore, all the messages he left telling people not to spoil stuff have been replaced.

Here's my favorite replacement: http://i.imgur.com/YNC8cwr.png
- randoguy101
churine
Pronouns: she/her

Post by churine »

bkamakaze wrote:
6: fun no longer has to be capitalized, which makes Gaster encounters officially CANON which means GASTER IS REAL (im adding to this because apparently his room is now available through random chance in game, as well as by modifying code, his voice has also changed: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0BgtvCTf94X ).
I recall that fun used to turn into Fun once you killed Sans, though? so the sound test at least was already there. Also I encountered Suzy's parent on a normal playthrough without having done that, and other people had reported encountering other fun events randomly like Gaster's followers, too...
Maybe it was only some events that checked specifically for "Fun". Or maybe killing Sans now has another effect...

Also I'm not sure if it's real or not but

Sans's drawing apparently has a chance of saying "never forghetti". Papyrus...?

No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

So I just finished the Genocide run and gave Chara my soul.

Welp. That certainly happened. Interested to see what happens next on the Tainted Pacifist Run before figuring out how to purge the whole thing to get the True ending for my file.
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\UNDERTALE

Deleting everything in that folder is an absolute purge; there's a way to purge just Extermination but I don't remember how to isolate Geno saves (The only murderous run I've done so far was Dog Ending, which is "Kill only Toriel, Papyrus, Undyne, and Mettaton EX")
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Welp, I'm officially at that phase where I'm tired of seeing this game everywhere. I still love the game, but it's just way too over-hyped as 'the best game ever' and everyone telling specific LPers to play it.

Fanbases are poison.

Who has the most?
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I haven't read any of this thread but these are my thoughts:
Undertale seems like a meme game. I can't imagine once you play through it a few times and seen all it has to offer, there would ever be reason to go back. It does some creative stuff but as for gameplay, there's not much to it.
Whimsical Calamari

Ashan wrote:It does some creative stuff but as for gameplay, there's not much to it.
Eh, I wouldn't say that. It has its limits, of course, and I doubt I'd see anybody playing it over and over like they would a pure mechanics-based game, but seeing the combat system was the thing that finally got me interested enough to play it. I had fun with it and I hate JRPG gameplay most times.

Overall, pre-the story elements that got me really hooked, I was playing it through because it was pleasant, and I was just curious enough to want to know how it ended. Gameplay of the core of the game alone, I'd say it's still worth the usual $7-8 sale price.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

No Lynch wrote:
So I just finished the Genocide run and gave Chara my soul.
Welp. That certainly happened. Interested to see what happens next on the Tainted Pacifist Run before figuring out how to purge the whole thing to get the True ending for my file.
there's no practical difference. just some slight changes in certain images
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Whimsical Calamari

Merch is back up, with new shirts, tiny figures, and the Toriel plushie.

with a mysterious "Toriel Enhancement Pack" for $1. you know what that means.

Wolfolotl
cryptid
First name: ovid
Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr

Post by Wolfolotl »

pay one extra dollar for your toriel to get HUGE GIGANTIC MUSCLES
:nb_pride:
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

Ashan wrote:I haven't read any of this thread but these are my thoughts:
Undertale seems like a meme game. I can't imagine once you play through it a few times and seen all it has to offer, there would ever be reason to go back. It does some creative stuff but as for gameplay, there's not much to it.
A game's strong point lying in storytelling rather than gameplay isn't bad or memey. Silent Hill 2 does NOT have strong gameplay at all, but because of its atmosphere and writing is considered a fantastic game.
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

sedron wrote:A game's strong point lying in storytelling rather than gameplay isn't bad or memey.
That is true, but the way Undertale in particular likes to portray itself can come across that way at times. I myself think that the central plot is really good, but all the other silly stuff (temmie village, papyrus and metatton segments, sans puns and phrases, etc) is mostly beside the point. Not that I didn't enjoy it, but it becomes tiring after a while, especially since that's what gets passed around most on the internet.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

sedron wrote:
Ashan wrote:I haven't read any of this thread but these are my thoughts:
A game's strong point lying in storytelling rather than gameplay isn't bad or memey. Silent Hill 2 does NOT have strong gameplay at all, but because of its atmosphere and writing is considered a fantastic game.
Yeah, but after you've done the obligatory playthroughs of it, you've seen everything and there's no reason to play through it again. Not to say you might not get the urge every once in a while, but I don't think there's a lot of Luigi's Mansion enthusiasts for the same reason (aside from speed runners). There isn't much for replay value.
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

Ashan wrote:Yeah, but after you've done the obligatory playthroughs of it, you've seen everything and there's no reason to play through it again. Not to say you might not get the urge every once in a while, but I don't think there's a lot of Luigi's Mansion enthusiasts for the same reason (aside from speed runners). There isn't much for replay value.
The thing that's confusing me is how Undertale being a meme game ties into not having replay value. Like, would you call Luigi's Mansion or Silent Hill 2 meme games? Of course not, because that's silly.

I think a lot of it is that I don't even really understand what you mean by "meme game."
Jayoshi wrote:
sedron wrote:A game's strong point lying in storytelling rather than gameplay isn't bad or memey.
That is true, but the way Undertale in particular likes to portray itself can come across that way at times. I myself think that the central plot is really good, but all the other silly stuff (temmie village, papyrus and metatton segments, sans puns and phrases, etc) is mostly beside the point. Not that I didn't enjoy it, but it becomes tiring after a while, especially since that's what gets passed around most on the internet.
Again, I'm confused. Are jokes and humor just in general memey now? The internet is going to take anything remotely funny and run it into the ground, and its been doing that for years. If you let that ruin jokes for you humor as a whole probably isn't gonna work out that great for you.