(shouting)

Super Mario Maker: Talkhaus Level Exchange

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Re: Super Mario Maker: Talkhaus Level Exchange

Post by pholtos »

Level has sfx spam? Skip.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Sniggerb0bble
These arms ain't ever going down.

Post by Sniggerb0bble »

I don't know if it's just anecdotal, but I also found that Expert tended to get harder and harder the closer I got to the end. I often had times where the first 8 or so courses were easy in terms of finding an acceptable level, but after that it quickly became an increasingly tedious swamp of trash to skip through. This made the experience worse and worse, especially since I'd always have the desire to finish what I started.

I don't know if there's any logic in the game to make things harder, but that's just my experience.
Psycrow
Game designer

Post by Psycrow »

Yeah, I haven't tried Expert too many times but it's kind of ironic that I can generally finish both Easy and Normal with 100 lives and Expert not at all, lol. Bit of a spike there.
But if you skip a level (at the right time so it doesn't cost a life) that you can tell you'll have trouble with, it's doable. Trying to power through it due to not wanting the level to damage your ego by you skipping it is how you lose the 100-mario challenge, lol
Game Designer -- The Mind Hero -- Puzzle/platform/dating sim to teach actual psychology too
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

it kinda occurs to me that linking my profile with all my levels and expecting to get some feedback out of it was probably not the best of ideas so i'll cherrypick a few

Factory Frenzy
Burning Heart, Frozen Spirit
Frantic Forest
Blazing Bridges (my highest rated actual level)
Psycrow
Game designer

Post by Psycrow »

Post removed (merged to updated post)
Last edited by Psycrow 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Game Designer -- The Mind Hero -- Puzzle/platform/dating sim to teach actual psychology too
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I haven't made a level in a while, so I did. Don't worry I won't make you click a link to figure out what the code is

370B-0000-01D6-F321

I haven't really paid any attention to that site but it's neat. I kind of dislike a few of my old levels looking back but I have a bunch of slots available so
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Klayr
First name: Claire
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Klayr »

Just uploaded my first level in a couple months last night. This is probably the most difficult thing I've made so far. I think I've been influenced by all the smw romhacks I've been watching/playing recently. So, without further ado I give you Castle Zowch

Ef76-0000-01D9-43D0
Psycrow
Game designer

Post by Psycrow »

OMG guys. OMG. Like, OMG. Did I say OMG? Because OMG.

Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

See like that's cool and all but I'm the kind of person who doesn't want to change up their 40 levels to make use of some of these

especially considering I already did that once with the checkpoint update.

I'll see what happens though.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

Here's my proudest level.

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintend ... -01EC-D630

By the way I have like, 40 other levels. I have it on good authority that they're pretty good.
Now I'm gonna go play all of Nekoishi's levels.
video games
Friendly Dictator
rad
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Friendly Dictator »

New level: Red-Hot Greenhouse
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintend ... -01EE-FB5B
This was made for a contest where the theme was to use only one type of enemy. I decided to use piranha plants
FancyFancy

Post by FancyFancy »

Gave the magic key doors a spin with a remark of World 8-4 from the Lost Levels
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintend ... -01F0-27AE
FILMED IN
ImageImage
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

FancyFancy wrote:Gave the magic key doors a spin with a remark of World 8-4 from the Lost Levels
I lost my patience at the pipe pit that is a one-way back to the first room. Some of the remake aspects are pretty cool, but overall my experience with the level wasn't very pleasing. There's a bit too much waiting for the enemies to line up in a favorable way (the most grueling one being the second blooper in the second room; I would stand still for 5 seconds to get my preferred safe set-up, which is a bit too long) and overall the level doesn't feel hard, just overly punishing. I am not wanting to put up with the tedium of starting it over after landing in that one-way pipe place.

But hey, it's not all bad. Some of the ways you used to get around mechanics that existed in the original game, but don't here in Mario Maker, are really neat.
Friendly Dictator wrote:New level: Red-Hot Greenhouse
This was made for a contest where the theme was to use only one type of enemy. I decided to use piranha plants
When I first tried playing the level, I was under the impression that it was going to be way more difficult than I could handle, and got confused as to what to do to get that second key. Upon replaying it, I realized it wasn't that bad. Both the first half and the second half are actually challenging, but also short. I actually did like that little puzzle for the second key - it's actually one rare instance I would qualify as a mini-puzzle. The second half plays well with the conveyor belts, but it can be a little bit of a hassle to line up the 3 plants to be able to make it through and go up in case you mess up and fall. From then on, it's really easy to understand - still a bit of a challenge, though. I gave it a star. Would recommend.
Klayr wrote:Just uploaded my first level in a couple months last night. This is probably the most difficult thing I've made so far. I think I've been influenced by all the smw romhacks I've been watching/playing recently. So, without further ado I give you Castle Zowch

Ef76-0000-01D9-43D0
That's a wonderful challenge-type level. I like that a savvy player could probably beat it on their first try; only element getting in the way is the player's execution of the obstacles. Both halves a short, which is a good thing. Maybe that's how I managed to forgive that the bullets get a bit spammy at times on the first half, and the spike tops from the left cannons get in the way throughout all of the second half. Those ARE considerable flaws, though. You could probably fix these by putting a wall on the right of the Bill Blasters before the Koopa hoppy part. As for the second half's problem, I don't really know how'd you fix it without just removing the spike top generators on the left and replacing that part of the hurdle with something else entirely. Regardless, I loved the level and gave it a star.
Nekoishi wrote:it kinda occurs to me that linking my profile with all my levels and expecting to get some feedback out of it was probably not the best of ideas so i'll cherrypick a few

Factory Frenzy
Burning Heart, Frozen Spirit
Frantic Forest
Blazing Bridges (my highest rated actual level)
I actually went ahead and replayed Blazing Bridges a few times. The course is certainly very enjoyable, but it's hard to know why that is. I think it may be due to it being extremely intuitive; I didn't need any directions in order to know where to go. It's really short, too; maybe a bit too short. I noticed that the level is also quite a bit compact in places with a lot going on, but somehow very little interferes with what the player is actually doing. It's really nice, but it's also a course where I would probably zone out while playing if I came across it in 100 Mario Challenge, and be confused as to what I just played after I finished it. The fact that I'm saying this about a level with that much going on in it is pretty interesting; it's not a bad thing, either. Maybe it's just me being really good at Mario. Never the less, I gave it a star.

I enjoyed a lot of your levels (I played the first 20 you uploaded and liked 18 of them) but for a lot of them the same zone-out principle still applies. If anything, I believe this speaks of how intuitive your course design is, and that is something to be proud of.
video games
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

i'm glad to hear that!

my most recent attempt at mario maker levels is one that I wanted to make entirely out of megaspikes, but limits kinda reared their ugly head. might poke at it more this week and make a real level out of it?
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Okay, I'll get back to the levels posted here soon. But first, I've been busy making a few levels.

Kingdom Boundaries of the Moles Difficulty: Moderate ID:8D61-0000-01E5-AD96

Yeah, this is all about those moles. I tried not too do everything with them for... reasons. I did put a bonafide boss in this level. You can rush through it if you're good (or brave) enough. That part could probably use a key, honestly...

Deception in the Skies Difficulty: Moderate/Hard ID: 53B0-0000-01E6-A4ED

Exactly what it says here. If you just follow normal expectations, you're just going to die. Painfully. So trust a good instinct instead. Also, it's not too long.

Spiritual Squid Hall Difficulty: Moderate ID: D3A4-0000-01E9-1E1E

Another idea that popped into my head spontaneously. Underwater Ghost houses are not something done very often... so I decided to have a crack at it. As far as Ghost Houses go, I think it's pretty mild. Though maybe that's because of the reputation that bloopers have as scary enemies...

...And then there's a secret course I've done most recently. You'll have to find it yourself at this moment, but be warned; it's not easy at all. The clear rate doesn't lie...
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

I made a level for the same contest Friendly Dictator entered: Boo Circus!! or something. 5B23-0000-01F1-930F. I chose Boo Carousels as my enemy.
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

Pyro wrote:I made a level for the same contest Friendly Dictator entered: Boo Circus!! or something. 5B23-0000-01F1-930F. I chose Boo Carousels as my enemy.
That was pretty nice. This level gets creative around the severe limitations of the boo circles. The biggest problem I see is that the first rain-survival room is a bit of a slog to get through, and I didn't understand you had to wait it out until a star on my first go at it. And another more minor beef is the coins dropping in the second survival room - I would instinctively go for that first coin and get killed by the boo circle.

The autoscroll sections were definitely my favorites. It lent itself to some interesting manouvers that had to take a lot of testing to get right. It's not perfectly intuitive, but the bar for that is high when working with this specific scenario (the timing of boo rings spawning, gaps at which angle at which point, and timing with the rails... it's quite a nightmare in terms of design) and it was done pretty well regardless.

Liked it, gave a star, checking out your other levels.
video games
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

Alright, I'm getting around to some of your levels...
Pyro wrote:I made a level for the same contest Friendly Dictator entered: Boo Circus!! or something. 5B23-0000-01F1-930F. I chose Boo Carousels as my enemy.
This was pretty nice and hectic. You found quite a few ways to use Boo Carousels. One critique I would give is that the second Boo-let section is hard to keep tabs on everything, except by trial-and-error. Cleared and starred.
FancyFancy wrote:Gave the magic key doors a spin with a remark of World 8-4 from the Lost Levels
It sure did remind me of that level.... A powerup sure would have been nice for the two Bowsers, particularly the giant one. The fight's simply RNG dependent otherwise. It's faithful to the source material, though. Once again, cleared and starred.
Friendly Dictator wrote:New level: Red-Hot Greenhouse
I really liked this. You found lots of methods to make the plants a puzzle element. The second half was short, much to my surprise. And again, starred and cleared.

Okay, now for two of my own levels that I should have posted a while ago... (Mandew, it seems that I already noticed your levels before you posted on this thread... Anyways, that level you posted was also great.)

The Castle of Infernal Sealife Difficulty: Moderate/Difficult ID: E696-0000-01F7-7261

This level went through quite a few revisions before the final product. That boss at the end was formerly Bowser in a cloud, but I eventually realized that was far too tedious of a boss fight, so I switched it up to another Blooper. I also added another midpoint, which should make the long length of this level a bit more bearable....

A Serene Seaside Stroll Difficulty: Moderate ID: 0D6E-0000-01FB-BCA4

I wanted something more calming after the previous two experience with testing levels while maintaining some semblance of difficulty, so I decided to go with a level that was underwater with lots of enemies. Water levels have much more freedom in them, so you can get away with many more enemies than you would on land. I was worried that this would also need to be edited, but initial reception seems to be positive, so it should be fine.
Last edited by Zephyr_DragonLord 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Psycrow
Game designer

Post by Psycrow »

Last edited by Psycrow 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

And then there were more levels, and perhaps someone rejoiced.

Many Spikes & Spike Sprint Difficulty: Hard ID:99B3-0000-01FA-D261

This level might look familiar... but at the same time, it's quite different. There's now a subsection! That subsection is still very spiky and deadly. As a result of these alterations, this level has become less of a gimmick, and more fleshed out.

EDIT: Hubris. Hubris is a beast that cannot be stopped. Thankfully, I eventually realized some flaws and made significant damage control. Or something. Quack.
Ghost House Gut Punch Difficulty: Hard ID:A5BE-0000-0205-060C

This particular course might just be my best yet... Take a Ghost house, add a bunch of simplistic traps into it, add a pinch of inspiration from another level, a dash of talkhaus flavor, and volia! A level outside conventions that is nonetheless simple to understand! ...Is it wrong that I want to make that monstrosity at the end into an actual boss sometime down the road?
Last edited by Zephyr_DragonLord 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Psycrow
Game designer

Post by Psycrow »

Last edited by Psycrow 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

SHROOMS! sounds like the same idea as my Silly Shrooms level, I'll have to give it a try sometime.
Psycrow
Game designer

Post by Psycrow »

Nekoishi wrote:SHROOMS! sounds like the same idea as my Silly Shrooms level, I'll have to give it a try sometime.
Haven't seen/played any of your levels but I looked through and bookmarked that one to check out next time I'm in the game :) I made it cuz I felt there had to be some good way to make use of the various types of mushrooms I'd gotten access to (not counting any "?" shrooms beyond the one used). Wasn't even aware you had to get hurt to toggle between most of them properly before that-- but hey, what are spikes for? Anyway, congrats on having almost 1000 stars! My levels tend to be a little too geared towards serious gamers to get that much support, lol.
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

Wait I'm almost at 1k?

Admittedly I haven't actually checked Mario Maker in a long while, I kinda burnt myself out on it with modifying like 30 of my levels during the checkpoint update.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

Sitting at the maximum number of levels is a bit disappointing. Here's the last few to round up the set.

NOTE: This course is now in an altered form. It's likely for the better. An Actual Airship ID: F14C-0000-0212-7D92 Difficulty: Hard

This is actually the second version of this course; I realized that there was an impossible jump that wasn't meant to be as such, so that was fixed. Anyways, this is reminiscent of the airships in SMB3, including the fast one on the way to Bowser's Castle. And since there were no Koopalings in Mario Maker.... I had to improvise. I think I did that well.

EDIT: This April Fool's course is in the doghouse. Har... ha.... a.... *tish* ...Don't count on it coming back.
Walking The Dog Difficulty: Moderate/Hard ID: A2F9-0000-0212-8D7E

This was actually a bit of an April Fool's joke. Despite that, it's a playable escort mission. It's stages like this that make me wish that the screen size was larger....

Dualities of the Fickle Lakitu ID: 050D-0000-021B-FEFA Difficulty: Hard

Yes, that's right. A stage featuring Lakitu. This originally had a mirror world gimmick going on, and while there are still remnants of that, making each part mirror the other would be too much of a pain, and for multiple reasons. There is one part that can drag on, but everything else is pretty simple when you find out what's going on....
Last edited by Zephyr_DragonLord 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
(It was about time)