(shouting)

Super Mario Maker: Talkhaus Level Exchange

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
LBuncleJoe
Video games sure are!
First name: Dustin
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Super Mario Maker: Talkhaus Level Exchange

Post by LBuncleJoe »

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintend ... -0177-F147

These folks are head over heels!
This is a fairly straightforward level. I haven't had the game for long, so I just wanted to try something weird and novel with some of the tools I have unlocked at the moment.
Sniggerb0bble
These arms ain't ever going down.

Post by Sniggerb0bble »

Mario Maker!?!?

Mad Muncher Meadows
Code: EBA6-0000-017C-06CC

(Made in collaboration with the masterful and mysterious Aqualakitu. More madness may come from this week of shenanigans.)
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Be the first to conquer my SUPER EXPERT level.

CANNON HOPPING
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Mario Maker brings out my inner speedrunner. I've been trying to get the world record on popular course cause why not, got within 1.5 seconds of one of the event courses and have the record on wario ware inc. 2.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Psycrow
Game designer

Post by Psycrow »

Post removed (merged to updated post)
Last edited by Psycrow 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Game Designer -- The Mind Hero -- Puzzle/platform/dating sim to teach actual psychology too
Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

Nomming and other things 3 / 3E74 - 0000 - 0198 - 0844
100% Approved!
Patooties are Talkhaus' best thing!
So... I just put in my Youtube-Channel
Psycrow
Game designer

Post by Psycrow »

So, I just wanted to offer some tips to people who have trouble collecting stars. I have 3 medals now (150+ Stars) and although I haven't used any of these tips in a while, they did help when I was trying a while back.
1) Difficulty -- It seems to be that the easier the level is, the more people will end up playing it. This means autoplay levels or popular-themed ones are a great way to get stars. I haven't done a thorough comparison between levels that end up rated Easy and ones rated Normal, but definitely Expert and Super Expert will end up with less plays. The problem for me is, a smartly-made level like the last one I linked will end up with few plays, because it's difficult; but I have enough crowd-pleasers thrown in that those collect stars while my real pride comes from the more engaging ones I've made. (I personally don't try to collect stars anymore because 3 medals, or 30 levels, is enough for me. I've gone back and improved other levels a few times when I had more limits, or simply waited to upload them until my next medal.)
2) Linking via comments within popular levels -- Yeah, I've done it. And yeah, it helped a fair amount, especially for the autoplay I did it for (and defined as an autoplay when linking it). If you have some kind of popular-themed one, i.e. Pokemon or whatever, maybe that would catch some attention too.
3) Deleting and re-uploading a level -- For anything you don't have a permanent link to elsewhere, delete it and re-upload it now and then, even every day if you want. It seems to get a good amount more plays this way (or at least it did a couple months ago, for me, when I was using this trick). You don't have to replay the level to re-upload it after deleting, unless of course you've made a change since then.
What, you thought this was going to be some "follow the 10 steps for making good levels" speech? Psh, forget that noise!
Game Designer -- The Mind Hero -- Puzzle/platform/dating sim to teach actual psychology too
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Mushrooms in the Sky
I made this one even easier than the previous one.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

what I actually bookmarked my things?!>???
...I still can't figure out how to send the links here easily, so have some numbers on the internet and more text.

EDIT: I figured as such, but the link to here is a big convenience. Editing the links in now...

You Need A Plumber... (CD71-0000-018B-83B2) Difficulty: Normal

I took inspiration from a few courses regarding this level... Most namely Coursebot. This is also the first time I try putting actual flavor into the level. A bit harder without text boxes...

Skyward Cave & Buried Skies (649D-0000-019A-5851) Difficulty: Easy/Normal

Finally... a use of the SMB3 cave levels by me! Looks like it really does make a difference!
I continue to mess with expectations with this level. If you look closely, there's a few secrets scattered around here and there.
I really like how the end turned out, too.
Last edited by Zephyr_DragonLord 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:what I actually bookmarked my things?!>???
...I still can't figure out how to send the links here easily, so have some numbers on the internet and more text.
Well to start here's your specific page. All you'd do then is post using url tags and a link to that specific course and such.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

oh yeah it should be kinda obvious but if you have any gripes with my levels i'd like to hear them so I can improve them and all
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

Thanks for the link; they're all edited in.
Since this is my last break day for a while... I'll be playing as many of these levels as I can, starting from some of the newer ones. Expect to see a few comments.
Psycrow
Game designer

Post by Psycrow »

Link: Trials of the Four Elements -- I'd say that's a pretty self-explanatory title, actually. (Edited & re-uploaded 1/20)
Attack of the Cutoff -- Also self-explanatory title. Just a quick "fashion statement" of a level, made after seeing a bit too much cutoff.

Side note: I thought of a new cheapo way to get stars, but haven't tested it (and won't be), lol. Not quite as cheapo as adjusting the date in your system settings to unlock all the props to work with, but here goes:
Open up the list of all your levels using a second Miiverse account (either by using the link that shows all your levels in Bookmarks, or I guess friending your second account or whatever) and star them all. On the original account, delete and re-upload them, then repeat all this until the medal is earned-- that's it. The stars stay with you even after deleting, of course, so theoretically, doing this 5 times will get you your next medal. (You get to upload 10 levels after reaching 50 stars, 20 after 150, 30 after 300, etc, so-- 5x10=50, 5x20=150 when added to your previous total, 5x30=300 when added to your previous total, etc-- doing these steps 5x each would keep getting you medals each time)
Keep in mind if anyone does this, anything you've linked here and deleted will no longer be a valid code, of course.
Last edited by Psycrow 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

752B-0000-019E-CD23
oh man i made a slightly difficult level and actually managed to upload it!!!!!
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

The comments are indeed trickling in for all of you.... A bit slower than I anticipated, however.

I have another level, though, and I'll share an update of a previous one, too.

Castle of Bad Rotations (Difficulty: Medium) D418-0000-01A2-A12F

I might be a terrible person for posting this level. I don't know. Maybe I just got unlucky that Mrswaglord9000 couldn't beat this. ...Anyways, this is a World 1 Castle equivalent. With plants. Again. Now spinning in bizarre axes thanks to tracks. (I might be bad at advertising my levels... eh, whatever. Better to be modest than prideful)

Klean Koopa Karst Kave (Difficulty: Easy/Medium) 1941-0000-01A4-9E9D

Here's the update of the old level I made. I simply put semi-solid platforms over the landscape, and now it looks good. The jumps are pretty much the same. They were good enough as is.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Psycrow
Game designer

Post by Psycrow »

Ivy

Post by Ivy »

pholtos i see that you cleared my level but didn't star it. despicable
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Oh that's who chillager was.

I'm picky with stars. :/

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Ivy

Post by Ivy »

i hope this level is more your flavor, pholtos

4782-0000-01A5-2285
Psycrow
Game designer

Post by Psycrow »

Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

So.... Mario Maker got an update or something? Well, I didn't see any changes with the tools of creation, so it must have been some small issues.

Romp Level! Spring Forward! 20A1-0000-01AF-603D Difficulty: Easy/Normal

So, yes... this was inspired off a certain critique. So I made a level all about bouncing around and having a good time. Hopefully the pits and that beginning aren't too bad for people to overcome.
(It was about time)
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Ehh.... I really wish this game had a rating system. It's quite an adventure to skip over half the levels in expert 100-mario because they are mostly "oh ho I tricked you" or "oh ho look at all these enemies I'm spamming you with" or "oh ho I have hidden a star/pow block in a hidden block somewhere, hope you can find it."

On that note... WHY IN BLAZES DID THEY ADD HIDDEN BLOCKS TO THIS GAME? Do you know how rare it is to find a level that uses hidden blocks in a GOOD WAY?

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Ivy

Post by Ivy »

i've literally never cleared expert. most levels are utter shit. although i've figured that most of the japanese levels are sort of like defusing a bomb; once you've wasted a handful of lives you'll figure the pattern out real quick and finish off the level
most of the time my downfall has been too much determination to finish a single level, spewing 40+ of my lives into the mist
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

Expert does have a ton of bad levels. Most of those are those really short ones with enemy spam at the beginning, and levels that pull really mean tricks, but not much else.

There's also the long levels with moderate difficulty; that's where you'll find most of the levels that semi-redeem Expert mode. Good luck wading though awful stuff getting there, though.

Expert has a good rule to it: if it's very unfair without a mitigating factor, skip it. If you fall for a troll trap late into a difficult level, skip it. And if you find a really difficult level.... SAVE IT FOR LATER AND SKIP IT. Just playing a Panga course or something from the recently played screen gives you as many chances as you need; they're a much better place to tackle those stages than in 100 Mario Challenge.

...Hidden Blocks to force a player on a specific path are my biggest beef with Panga (and others like him that do that). The trolling hidden blocks can be very nasty, too. I just use them to hide secrets.
They're difficult to use right.
(It was about time)