(shouting)

Nihon Falcom

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory

Nihon Falcom

Post by Juanbro »

As I made a quick search in this forum, I found out that there isn't a thread about this fabulous video game company (maybe there is, but under a "complicated code name").

So, yeah, Falcom is one of the most "obscure" companies, yet, one of the longest running video game companies. I LOVE this company, as it has made so many amazing games for so many different kind of genres, but not only that, as this company's games has one of the best soundtracks ever. I may sound like a fanboy, but I consider that Falcom is one of the kings of video game music.

As for the games, I have yet to play most of it's games, but the one I have played certainly had not dissapointed me:
- YS is among my top 10 favorite video game series (I can't tell in which place, but I know that it is among my favorite easily), with the fast paced gameplay, amazing soundtrack, intense difficulty, and interesting story.
- Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky: Only played through the first one (I am awaiting impatiently the Second Chapter, as well the chance to play the other games of Legend of Heroes saga), but, man, the experience I got with it was one of the best. While the gameplay is good for a Tactical RPG, the story and the music sold me without trouble. I won't say anything about the story, except that the building for the story was excellent for that perfect cliffhanger right at the end.
- Brandish Dark Revenant: A dungeon crawler that, while repetitive, I actually liked it a lot. The music may not be YS or Legend of Heroes material, but it's fine. The thing that got me was the "I can't wait to see what will happen next" feeling. It may be that kind of games that need time before replaying, but I am sure that I will enjoy it the same the next time I replay it.

So, come on, share your feelings, news, anything you would like.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: Nihon Falcom

Post by KobaBeach »

I'm actually kind of a Falcom and Ys fan~ (however, I've only played up to Ys III so far)

I wanna on checking out the rest of Falcom's game library later on, I'm currently busy with other games
Planning on starting both Ys IV games soon (Mask of the Sun and Dawn of Ys), check out Popful Mail sometime, maybe play through the Legend of Heroes series (I'll have to use a JP-EN dictionary and walkthroughs to help me with II through V, however), Sorcerian, Xanadu...

I also need to check out that one Falcom Gakuen anime, looks fun~
Juanbro wrote:I may sound like a fanboy, but I consider that Falcom is one of the kings of video game music.
omg yessssssssssssssssss
Horikawa Otane wrote:ping
Jesuiscontent wrote:ping
calling all nerds
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Ys Origin is my favorite Ys, with felghana being a close second. The gameplay of modern Ys is great and the bosses are super fun. I really like when games try to stimulate you into finding the best balance between surviving and still having to focus on doing enough damage, and most of the Ys bosses manage to create that tension pretty well. The sand boss in Origin and the red robot in Napishtim are perfect examples of that.

I'd probably sing a different tune if I experienced them back when they were released, but I'm not too big of a fan of earlier Ys gameplay (Ys I and II (sorry Kobabeach!!!(speaking of which I should finish II sometime))). Like, it's pretty impressive that they managed to make a combat system that uses 0 button, but it's not terribly exciting in the end ! Again, though, I'm aware it probably just didn't age well, and that what make them good is the setting, exploration and music

I pretty much have the same feeling as you for the LoH series : I also didn't play any legend of heroes besides TitS, but man, I loved it instantly. Like, the gameplay is enjoyable in its own right, but I think this is my favorite videogame from a writing perspective. I usually can't get into a videogame for its story, but in TitS' case I just loved talking to every npc and exploring everywhere after every chapter to make sure I didn't miss anything (and I STILL missed a lot of stuff apparently). It was super endearing to see every minor npc "evolve" along with the main story events like they had their own side-story.

And man, the music.

is my favorite RPG music of all time along with the Chrono Trigger battle music. It's just that good. I also love the forest theme

So yeah, I can't wait for XSEED to finally release the second game in English. They keep delaying it, but this time they said we're getting it before the end of the summer. Probably.

I'm also considering getting a PS3 for Trails of Cold Steel

the edgehog

when it's released this autumn

I don't know anything about Brandish Dark Revenant but I'll have to check it out

Oh and I played one million hours of Faxanadu as a kid if that counts

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I played The Oath in Felghana earlier this year. It was pretty dang solid, but I heard that's one of the only ones that had the whole nine yards put into it. For instance, it's the only one with full voice acting, isn't it? Yeah, I liked that game.
Last edited by Bean 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TheVulpineHero1
Party hazard fiesta mix

Post by TheVulpineHero1 »

I started playing Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky recently. The feeling I get from it is very... Grandia-ish, in the sheer love given to detailing the environment and making sure the npcs don't recycle the same old scripts as events happen. They're both games where some of the most fun has been just looking around in empty rooms (that have to be there, because the npc houses wouldn't make sense if they didn't) and taking all the little fluffy graphical detailing and ornaments in. Seeing as Grandia is amongst my personal favourite rpgs for being really charming and lovable even if the plot is full of cliches, that's pretty high praise. I'll be looking to the horizons for the next in the series, and probably finally getting in on the Ys series that I've never experienced.

Also totally echoing Jesuiscontent on the battle music thing. Just yes. Every time I hit random combat, I just smile when that opening plays.
Broken image, apparently
Broken image
Juanbro

Post by Juanbro »

Jesuiscontent wrote:Ys Origin is my favorite Ys, with felghana being a close second. The gameplay of modern Ys is great and the bosses are super fun. I really like when games try to stimulate you into finding the best balance between surviving and still having to focus on doing enough damage, and most of the Ys bosses manage to create that tension pretty well. The sand boss in Origin and the red robot in Napishtim are perfect examples of that.

I'd probably sing a different tune if I experienced them back when they were released, but I'm not too big of a fan of earlier Ys gameplay (Ys I and II (sorry Kobabeach!!!(speaking of which I should finish II sometime))). Like, it's pretty impressive that they managed to make a combat system that uses 0 button, but it's not terribly exciting in the end ! Again, though, I'm aware it probably just didn't age well, and that what make them good is the setting, exploration and music

I pretty much have the same feeling as you for the LoH series : I also didn't play any legend of heroes besides TitS, but man, I loved it instantly. Like, the gameplay is enjoyable in its own right, but I think this is my favorite videogame from a writing perspective. I usually can't get into a videogame for its story, but in TitS' case I just loved talking to every npc and exploring everywhere after every chapter to make sure I didn't miss anything (and I STILL missed a lot of stuff apparently). It was super endearing to see every minor npc "evolve" along with the main story events like they had their own side-story.
I know, right? YS manages to get you on your toes, while having so much fun. Even if you die many times against a boss, you feel that the game isn't being cheap, but rather that you must become better. And, while I always say that gameplay is the most important thing, the music adds so much to an already amazing game, and makes the "kill sessions" even better.

And, it's sad that you don't like early YS gameplay, as that's what I find so charming and fun about those games. No complicated gameplay, just pure and fun "ramming into enemies". And, please, play YS II, as it is one hell of a ride: the leveling system is better, and know you count with an extra attack that just adds some strategical (but not boring or annoying) gameplay, and the story...wow...it toppled the first one without a problem (mind you, the story of the first one is still pretty good).

As for Legend of Heroes, yeah, I am with you about the NPC thing...it makes the game even more lively. Seeing one NPC that you saw 10 hours ago, and see what things he experienced gives more flavor to the story. I have heard that the second game is twice as long as the first one, and it's even better...so, imagine how the Second Chapter will be.
Juanbro

Post by Juanbro »

Sorry for the double post (you guys need to post more things here : P), but this may interest some of you...

From Xseed "The Legend of Heroes: Trails Series - XSEED Games" Facebook page, we get this news:
"We're happy to announce the Trails of Cold Steel "Lionheart Edition" in North America! It'll be $49.99 and available for pre-order in about a week, and includes a collectible pin and artbook along with a box with space to house both Trails of Cold Steel and the sequel. The standard edition is available to pre-order now for $39.99!"

Oh man! This is one of the times that I would like to have a PS Vita so badly (the other one that I remember is when YS Memories of Celceta came to America). I have seen some videos, and it looks amazing.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Yeah I saw XSEED posting it on twitter, it does look great. I'll pick up this version if I can find a cheap PS3 in the meantime.

e : wait there's also a collector PS3 version right

Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

ACTUALLY HAPPENING
C
T
U
A
L
L
Y
H
A
P
P
E
N
I
N
G

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251290/

WINTER 2014 BOYS

Juanbro

Post by Juanbro »

Jesuiscontent wrote:ACTUALLY HAPPENING
C
T
U
A
L
L
Y
H
A
P
P
E
N
I
N
G

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251290/

WINTER 2014 BOYS
When I saw the news in my Facebook frontal page, I almost cried of joy. I hate XSEED for releasing it when I already have a lot of games to finish (Last Story, Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker, Etrian Mystery Dungeon, Etrian Odyssey IV, Bravely Default, FF Type 0, to name a few).

But still...
The hype is real, guys! 6 days for one hell of a ride!
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

WHAT THE FUCK

(SC chapter 8 spoiler screenshot)

[attachment=0]1447191962651.jpg[/attachment]

This is one of the scenes that really makes you realize how much bigger than it seems the Trails/Kiseki series actually is. I'm already psyched for Cold Steel in december.
Attachments
1447191962651.jpg
1447191962651.jpg (564.64 KiB) Viewed 10517 times

Juanbro

Post by Juanbro »

Jesuiscontent wrote: (SC chapter 8 spoiler screenshot)
WHAT?!?!? I barely started SC chapter 1 (installed it in November 2nd), and you are already in chapter 8? It wouldn't be that surprising if each chapter lasts about 30 minutes...but if the prologue, that took me almost 3 hours to finish, gives me a good measure of how long each chapter will be (and knowing video games, each chapter gets progresively longer), then, man...you sure love Trails in the Sky. I love it too, but with my internship consumes so much of my time and energy.

Just to clarify it, I didn't see the screenshot...I don't want to ruin the surprise...
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Well it has basically been consuming my life whenever I'm not at uni since the release date on Oct. 29 hahaha, I'm at like 70 hours played. The game is fantastic. But I mean, I'm playing it a lot but I'm taking my sweet time for my first playthrough just like I did with FC, I'm talking to every NPC and going to every area after each story advance, doing every sidequest etc. I'm sad to learn real life is preventing you from doing the same, haha

Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Whaaaaaaaaaaat

I read that SC does not end on a cliffhanger like FC and that the 3rd is like a side story to branch FC/SC with Zero/Ao????????

Also if it doesn't come in the west I'll blame the cheap fucks who complained 30$ for SC was "too expensive"

I know I need to learn japanese but my uni teaches every language but japanese

Gurumin is great

Juanbro

Post by Juanbro »

Oh man, sadness. Almost 4 weeks since I bought the game...and I am still in Chapter 1. I just finished 3 of the 4 side quests (that "get ingredients NOT from this list" quest can be quite tiring if you want to get the extra points), and as for the main quest...I need to go to Air Letten for the third witness. With my internship, my lack of energy after returning home and all the games that I am playing right now...not so much time for Trails in the Sky.

Hey! I want to play Gurumin and Vantage Master, but I have so many games pending, and most of the Vantage Master games are japanese...sadness

But...why people seem to forget Brandish?
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I really need to try out Brandish some time, I always hear great things about it.

Also

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Post by Truhan »

Alright, need to learn Japanese friends. We all know what you need to do. So just go do it. Go download that Anki and the Core 2k/6k Optimized deck, and if you have an iOS device there's an app titled "Japanese" by Renzo that's free (and actually free, they don't sell in-app flashcard packs like some apps) or you can just use http://ankiweb.net on a browser. Enjoy the next six months of mind melting, I'm just going to read my copy of Another that should be coming in after UFC 194.

As for Nihon Falcom, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Trails in the Sky. A shame we won't get TC, but I was instantly put off when I found out Estelle and Joshua weren't the MCs anyways. Estelle is really a great character and, as a friend put it, the games are adventure with a capital A. FC came out at a time when I wanted a good throwback jRPG, and it definitely scratched that itch.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Truhan wrote:
As for Nihon Falcom, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Trails in the Sky. A shame we won't get TC, but I was instantly put off when I found out Estelle and Joshua weren't the MCs anyways. Estelle is really a great character and, as a friend put it, the games are adventure with a capital A. FC came out at a time when I wanted a good throwback jRPG, and it definitely scratched that itch.
Never say never, so far we haven't got any official word whether it's going to come or not, and the spacedrake guy who made the translation draft for SC hinted that it might already be in the works, so... (though it would be pretty generous of XSEED to contract him again after the SC debacle but eh)

Also haha you're being pretty harsh on the 3rd here. I mean, don't get me wrong, no Estelle is obviously a bad mark, but it supposedly reveals so much about so many characters from the previous games (and most of them become playable to boot), and it's apparently more gameplay-focused than FC or SC which I can definitely get behind. You aren't going to get Cold Steel either? I so want to know what's going on in Erebonia myself that I already preordered it since last month. And I never preorder anything usually.

Speaking of which, since they put up the official website yesterday I cannot stop listening to this amazing track
and I'm kind of afraid I'm going to listen to it so much that I'll be tired of it by the time I recieve the game at the end of the month, haha

I'm realizing I probably sound like a shill but I don't care I'm really excited about this !!!!!!!!!!!

Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Post by Truhan »

No PSVita (bro), so Cold Steel is a no go. My PC is my console pretty much.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Might interest some people, but Fan Translations of Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu I and II are being worked on: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.p ... #msg291980
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

That's actually pretty cool. I'm definitely giving them a try if they do get finished. Out of the whole series I only played Faxanadu (which isn't even Falcom's, technically) but I really need to give the series a shot (good thing Xanadu next is coming to PC next year)

Juanbro

Post by Juanbro »

SAJewers wrote:Might interest some people, but Fan Translations of Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu I and II are being worked on: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.p ... #msg291980
I saw a couple of videos from these games, and they look kind of fun. I would really like to play it in english in the future.

Now, if we are talking about japanese Falcom games, I would really like to try Dragon Slayers: The Legend of Heroes 2, mostly because of this song:

Man, it starts with full energy and retains that same energy. This song actually makes me really happy and pumps me up.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Ys VIII (PS4, PSV) apparently coming out in the summer of 2016 in Japan. They also announced Trails of Cold Steel 3 at their shareholder meeting.
Juanbro

Post by Juanbro »

After playing some bits and pieces of Trails in the Sky SC, I finally finished...the first chapter...

As a full-fledged chapter, this one is a bit short on the dungeon "crawling" side, but story driven...is really good. The ghost mystery is kind of hilarious with Estelle's phobia of the paranormal, and Kevin is somehow lovable. I was really happy when Olivier arrived, as I enjoy the banter he makes with everyone else, but the top of all is the Olivier vs Blueblanc situation...now we have two crazy people that talks about beauty in a somewhat elegant manner, but I am in Olivier's side ("beauty is but a hollow ilusion without love"). BTW, I took Agate as the experienced bracer partner.

As for the main dungeon: it was kind of "short", but the monsters there are kind of annoying, specially those mechanical horse thingies that boost attack and speed of their fellow monsters when you kill them (making the fights vs them when you open some chests a bit hectic if you don't defeat a lot in a swoop. The boss itself, I don't if it's because I spammed Kloe's craft that reduce attack/defense and I always managed to stop his charging attack, but it felt easier compared to the bosses of the prologue. Even with two "death throes" in effect, his attacks barely surpassed 1000 of damage. Other thing that may have got an effect in the "easyness" of the boss is that I managed to kill one Shining Pom in this dungeon, giving me like 2500 exp for Olivier and Kloe (and letting them level up like 4 levels) and 800 to Agate and Estelle (letting 'em level up at least 1 level).

Now, I hope that I can get enough to even finish chapter 2 before the end of the year.

By the way, I am planning to resume my Let's Play videos soon enough (my last uploaded video was like 2 years ago), and I am planning to do some YS Let's Play (it may take a while, since I want to finish the last LP that I started). I will start with YS 1 & 2, and YS Origin, but I want to know if it would be better to do YS Origin first and the YS 1 & 2, or do YS 1 & 2 first and the YS Origin (I am more inclined to do this plan).
Bean wrote:Ys VIII (PS4, PSV) apparently coming out in the summer of 2016 in Japan. They also announced Trails of Cold Steel 3 at their shareholder meeting.
Man, Nihon Falcom, stop releasing new games that I can't play in a close future...

Oh, and an OFF-TOPIC kind of thing:
I was listening to a random video game music playlist in internet, when I got across one remix of a melody from Undertale (haven't played it yet), and I was in an awe from start to end.

The thing is, the part that sounds from 1:59 to 2:15 reminds me a LOT of one melody from a Nihon Falcom game, but I can't remember which one. Of course, there is the chance that said reminiscence is from other entirely different place.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I saw the announcements this morning. Cool stuff, but since they said Cold Steel 3 would have "significant graphical improvements" I hope that doesn't mean they are abandoning the PS3. I bought an used PS3 recently pretty much exclusively for Falcom games.
Juanbro wrote:
As a full-fledged chapter, this one is a bit short on the dungeon "crawling" side, but story driven...is really good. The ghost mystery is kind of hilarious with Estelle's phobia of the paranormal, and Kevin is somehow lovable. I was really happy when Olivier arrived, as I enjoy the banter he makes with everyone else, but the top of all is the Olivier vs Blueblanc situation...now we have two crazy people that talks about beauty in a somewhat elegant manner, but I am in Olivier's side ("beauty is but a hollow ilusion without love"). BTW, I took Agate as the experienced bracer partner.

As for the main dungeon: it was kind of "short", but the monsters there are kind of annoying, specially those mechanical horse thingies that boost attack and speed of their fellow monsters when you kill them (making the fights vs them when you open some chests a bit hectic if you don't defeat a lot in a swoop. The boss itself, I don't if it's because I spammed Kloe's craft that reduce attack/defense and I always managed to stop his charging attack, but it felt easier compared to the bosses of the prologue. Even with two "death throes" in effect, his attacks barely surpassed 1000 of damage. Other thing that may have got an effect in the "easyness" of the boss is that I managed to kill one Shining Pom in this dungeon, giving me like 2500 exp for Olivier and Kloe (and letting them level up like 4 levels) and 800 to Agate and Estelle (letting 'em level up at least 1 level).

I had the exact opposite experience actually haha, the dungeon monsters were pretty easy but the boss was super annoying. Maybe that's because I had Schera instead of Agate? I like to abuse the whip to get 2 full turns before the enemy can act but that's not too useful against bosses.

Also I'd watch an Ys Origin LP.