(shouting)

Nihon Falcom

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Re: Nihon Falcom

Post by Jesuiscontent »

A little something was released yesterday.
The 3rd has got to be the strongest prologue out of the 3 Sky games, holy shit. As great as Estelle and Joshua turn out to be later in the first two games, Kevin and Ries give such a better "first" impression.

cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

Jesuiscontent wrote: 6 years ago The 3rd has got to be the strongest prologue out of the 3 Sky games, holy shit. As great as Estelle and Joshua turn out to be later in the first two games, Kevin and Ries give such a better "first" impression.
I really like the laid back nature of early game FC actually, much more so then the frankly quite generic villain confrontations in SC.
As for the third, I gotta say I wasn't really on board with its structure early on, and I was still quite neutral on Kevin as a protagonist, but by the endgame I really enjoyed his story and development.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

PC version of Trails of Cold Steel 1 is out on Steam/Humble Store/GOG:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/the- ... cold-steel
https://www.gog.com/game/legend_of_hero ... _steel_the
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Atom x7-Z8700 2.4 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Shader Model 5 (GeForce 400 / Radeon HD 5000 / Intel post-2012 series)
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 17 GB available space
Additional Notes: 1280x720 / 30 FPS with portable settings

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel i3 3 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Geforce GTX 770 / Radeon R9 280X
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 17 GB available space
Additional Notes: 1920x1080 / 60 FPS with high settings
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Looks pretty sweet compared to PS3, and probably worth it just for full control over script/voices/mods. I might buy this again, but not before it goes on sale (come on now, full price for a 4 year old ps3 game?)

AlchemistHohenheim

Well, I mean, the English version is closer to 1.75 years old (came out December 22nd, 2015), and XSEED kinda had to commission the development of the PC port themselves (which involved some fairly extensive reworking of the underlying game engine and also adds stuff like Turbo Mode), and they also recorded an extra, like, few thousand lines of voiced dialogue for this version compared to the PS3/Vita release.

I can't really justify spending that much on it right now, either, but I think the asking price is pretty fair considering.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

That's true, but the price of a game is usually relative to the original release date, no matter how long it took for the game to be translated (something that XSEED themselves usually do, with the Sky trilogy being at what, 20$? because the games are more than 10 years old). I know there was a fairly big amount of work to make sure this release meets PC standards, but I dunno. I feel like a 5-10$ cut would've been fair considering the vast majority of the work was already done.
Also if you ask me, Turbo mode wasn't really necessary in Cold Steel considering you already have a fast-forward feature. That's the Sky trilogy that desperately needs it, because you can't speed up or skip ANYTHING. If you want to retry a hard, optional fight or something, you have to go through the whole cutscene all over again. :ehh:

Not a big deal either way, and it seems to be selling pretty well regardless, so that's good

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Well, since this is the Falcom thread, here's an update on the LoX/LoXII fran translations:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index. ... #msg502310
elmer wrote:
Vimtoman wrote: Whens the expected release date? Christmas?
I have no idea.

Recording has been going a lot slower than we'd hoped, and we temporarily lost a couple of actors to summer vacations.

Good post-production and lip-sync will take time after all of the recordings are done.

Then there's final-testing to catch typos or mistakes that we've made.

I'll be really, really sad if we miss this year but, at this point, I just can't be sure.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
AlchemistHohenheim

Jesuiscontent wrote: 6 years ago That's true, but the price of a game is usually relative to the original release date, no matter how long it took for the game to be translated (something that XSEED themselves usually do, with the Sky trilogy being at what, 20$? because the games are more than 10 years old).
They released the PC version of the first Sky game for $20. SC and The 3rd are both $30.
Jesuiscontent wrote: 6 years agoAlso if you ask me, Turbo mode wasn't really necessary in Cold Steel considering you already have a fast-forward feature. That's the Sky trilogy that desperately needs it, because you can't speed up or skip ANYTHING. If you want to retry a hard, optional fight or something, you have to go through the whole cutscene all over again. :ehh:
Extremely relevant:

Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Haha yeah, I saw these tweets this morning. I wonder why she didn't seem to want to add this before Cold Steel though.

SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Decoy Blimp
I still exist it turns out
First name: Samantha
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by Decoy Blimp »

Always nice to see more Ys games come to Steam. I heard there was a PC port of Ys VII made a few years ago by some Chinese company but it wasn't very good, nice to see a more official rerelease. Ys VIII should be put up on Steam soon as well IIRC.
AlchemistHohenheim

Ys VIII's PC version has actually been delayed until further notice because apparently the port is bad and they need to dedicate more time to making it not bad.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/579180/ ... 7990560200
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 6 years agoYs VIII's PC version has actually been delayed until further notice because apparently the port is bad and they need to dedicate more time to making it not bad.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/579180/ ... 7990560200
You'd think they might be able to see something like this coming in advance (especially since the delay is clearly big enough that they don't know how big it will be) rather than waiting until literally the god damned day of release to announce the delay. This doesn't make me particularly optimistic for future releases. Maybe they should've just kept using XSeed for future releases since they don't seem to be this uncommunicative.

Edit: http://www.pcgamer.com/ys-eight-lacrimo ... to-launch/
Gog has yet to verify this but it seems there may have been a miscommunication somewhere and the delay looks to be the Steam version specifically.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Yeah NISA is trash. People who tried the YS VIII beta also said that some parts of the translation were machine translated (especially so in the 2nd half of the game apparently), along with multiple name inconsistencies with both previous Ys and Trails games.

Cruberry becomes "wall nut" (???) and Waissman (reference to Weissman in Trails) becomes "Viceman"

I'm actually surprised they delayed the game for once, usually they just release their broken shit anyway, and tell people who ask for patches when the game crashes after 10 minutes to go fuck themselves.

Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I am that close of getting a PS4 and Sen no kiseki III... There are pics floating everywhere, more or less spoilerish, I'm not sure how long I'm going to resist nyoro~n

AlchemistHohenheim

Last edited by AlchemistHohenheim 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Lmao what the hell? That's the first time I've seen NISA actually admit at least SOME of their mistakes. Something's bound to have happened, I don't know if it was from Falcom directly (either because of that one email campaign or because some japanese websites reported it) or not, but it can't have been pretty.

Also I love how that message is basically confirming the PC version won't be out before the END OF NOVEMBER. What a mess. Good lord I hope they are eventually limited to fucking up Disgaea, at least these are import friendly. Or just disappear altogether, that's fine too. I really don't understand how they have been around for so long and are yet by far the most incompetent game editing company with no signs of improvement. :slow:

Alice

Post by Alice »

Jesuiscontent wrote: 6 years agoLmao what the hell? That's the first time I've seen NISA actually admit at least SOME of their mistakes. Something's bound to have happened, I don't know if it was from Falcom directly (either because of that one email campaign or because some japanese websites reported it) or not, but it can't have been pretty.
Seems like tons of people are pissed about it so if there was an email campaign to try and get Falcom's attention or something then they may have ended up getting shit from Falcom over it. And they totally deserve it. If Falcom doesn't drop them after this game I may just end up passing on the next one even if the Ys series is one of my favorites. I can't support this level of incompetence.
AlchemistHohenheim

People elsewhere have noted that the idea that NISA is going to have a new translator and editor comb through pretty much the whole game script to touch things up in the span of approximately seven weeks (never mind apparently also recording new voice acting for the touched-up lines, and also getting the patch through whatever Sony's certification process is like these days) seems a bit...ridiculous.

Even if they actually started the whole process in secret a couple of weeks ago or something, it's hard to imagine the redone version actually having any real care put into it given the time constraints.
AlchemistHohenheim

Oh, what do you know, getting the Ys VIII localization fixes out by the end of November was a pipe dream after all:
http://nisamerica.com/blog/ys-viii-lacr ... ion-update
Hello everyone,

My name is Alan Costa and I’m a Senior Associate Producer here at NIS America.

I'm heading up the Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA revision project directly under our president, Mr. Takuro Yamashita.

I’ve started this blog series to keep you all apprised of our progress for the revision and plan to make this a weekly update.

So, what exactly are we doing with this revision? Well, as NISA President Mr. Yamashita mentioned in his message, we are addressing the localization of Ys VIII from the ground up including the below:

- Reviewing and revising the translation with a new translator
- A complete re-edit of the script (voiced and unvoiced) as well as corrections to item names and descriptions with a new editor
- Voice re-recording
- Debugging the new build

We also intend to incorporate external feedback and I’ll be sharing more details on what exactly that entails in a later update.

This is going to come as no surprise to many of you, but after beginning this revision, we have realized that due to the scope of this undertaking, we will unfortunately not be able to release by the end of this month as we had originally intended.

I don't want to throw out a hard date then have to backtrack again, but, barring any unforeseen issues, we are currently looking to get this out early next year.

On that note, as we want this version to be the definitive release of the title, we will be holding the PC version back to coincide this this release as well.

While this does constitute a further delay of the PC version, please rest assured that this time will be used to further optimize the game.

Thank you so much for reading and please look forward to another update next week! If you have any feedback, please do not hesitate to head on over to the Steam discussion page.

Best Regards,
Alan
Alice

Post by Alice »

What ever possessed them to think they could ever make the original release date if they're still this far from having it in a releasable state?
AlchemistHohenheim

Steam page for Tokyo Xanadu eX+ is up:

Hopefully this is less of a trainwreck.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Update on that LoX Fan Translation, from pcenginefx
It keeps on moving forwards ... but at a very slow speed. :roll:

Both SamIAm and I have been distracted with Real Life (tm), as have a lot of the cast.

But, on the positive side, SamIAm has sent the core cast some early mixes of a number of the LoX1 scenes so that they can hear very-roughly what things are going to sound like. :D

They clearly point out to me that I'm going to have to do a *LOT* of messing around with the timing of the visuals in order to make each scene sound natural and not like it was assembled from a bunch of separately-recorded cuts (which it is, of-course, being assembled from). ](*,)

To my great sadness, there's not a hope-in-heck that the dub will be done and released this year.
AlchemistHohenheim

http://steamcommunity.com/games/579180/ ... 0468559722
NIS America is pleased to announce that the PC version of Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA has a target global release date of January 30, 2018.
*9 days later*

http://steamcommunity.com/games/579180/ ... 9647481008
To all of you who have been anxiously awaiting the PC release of Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA, we have a very regrettable announcement: we are once again pushing the release to an as-of-yet indeterminate date.
Amazing.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

As the PC version of the game was originally envisioned as a port, we avoided touching the core programming as much as possible and focused on PC performance optimization. However, in light of the feedback of those who have participated in the second beta test, we have concluded that we cannot avoid modifying the core programming.
They JUST realized that? What have they been doing for the last year?