(shouting)

redacted

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Gema Gema
This account is up for grabs.
First name: If you want it, read the
Pronouns: details in sig.

redacted

Post by Gema Gema »

redacted
Last edited by Gema Gema 8 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
I'm done with this account and anyone can have it for their own use. No payment of any sort required. If you're interested, send an email to barrywhit@email.com. First come, first served. Upon receiving an email, I will log in to delete this sig and then send a response e-mail containing the password. If this sig is still up, then this account is available!
Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir
Pronouns: Male

Re: Games you love but hard to recommend?

Post by Gardenolva »

Anything that is not graphically appealing to my friends and colleagues.

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

En Gardevoir wrote:Anything that is not graphically appealing to my friends and colleagues.
That, and games that have their... problems I guess.

One of those games (and one of my abosutely favourite games) is The World Ends with You. I already said that I love it plenty of times here already, but to be honest, the battle mechanics are very, very hard to master. Granted, you can switch between different difficulties, but you only get really useful pins (attacks/spells) on Hard and Ultimate, which both require good skills.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Octagon
zentraidon
Pronouns: she

Post by Octagon »

Any tower defense game. I feel like tower defense is objectively dull, but I like to waste my time on it.
And Final Fantasy VIII. I enjoy the story because it deals with alienation in a nonsensical world, but it's nowhere near good. I might still recommend it for the junction system if you're the kind of person who likes fiddling with builds and breaking the game.
Image WHAT DOES THE P STAND FOR
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

En Gardevoir wrote:Anything that is not graphically appealing to my friends and colleagues.
Oh man... the pains of middle school are already coming back to me :oops:

On a more serious note, one RPG maker game I like a LOT is called Densha. (well, technically it was made by Wolf RPG, which is something different entirely) It's one of those games that sets you into an environment that you literally WILL NOT know anything about what you're doing, and a lot of it you'll have to figure out for yourself. Since I played through the entire game while being able to understand what was going on, (eventually) I personally find it absolutely amazing. It's just really weird in comparison to a lot of other things, though.
Last edited by Zha Hong Lang 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

The entire SaGa series
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Zpto
Totally not a robot

Post by Zpto »

Crypt of the Necrodancer, only play it if you like rogue-likes and don't care about achievments
Solaris
flowercuco
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by Solaris »

Skullgirls, Bayonetta 1/2 and similar Technically Proficient & Fun Games full o' questionable visual design choices
Most fighters just because no one i know seems to really be into them in the same way I am
....................final fantasy fourteen..................

/(=✪ x ✪=)\
Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Dizzybelle »

The Atelier series. I love it to bits and it's probably one of my favourite series of all time...

...But at a gameplay level, it's not that great. It's a time management game, where you have to gather resources, then choose whether you want to work towards completing quests, make some weapons to make things easier, make gathering equipment and passive items, or work on your relationships with the townspeople. It's also very... kawaii. Most of the characters are super cutesy, and it doesnt take itself too seriously. So yeah, a lot of people find it boring, but I love it, and I will keep playing them until the end of time ♥
ImageImageImage
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I still have nostalgia for the Commander Keen series, even though a lot of the games, especially the later ones had a ton of flaws. aterraformer's LP of it showed it to me quite well.

There is also this really old dos game called Bluppo, I used to play a lot with my brother. It's a Boulder Dash clone with some amusing levels and a lot of fish. It also gets quite hard towards the end, with some huge levels, chain reactions, and resource management.

Edit: The two player mode is especially fun, since there is a glitch that gives infinite bombs if both of the players drop a bomb at the same time when there is only one of them left, causing the bombs to go to negative values.
Coryman
The road to nowhere leads to me
First name: Cory

Post by Coryman »

A couple flash games that I like for reasons I don't understand. They're just strangely enjoyable.
Runescape certainly fits the criteria, I spent a couple years of my childhood on that game, but it's kinda... Broken now? I dunno, it's not the same as it was back on '06. Private servers and stuff are still fun, but... Yeah.
Basically any oldish game that isn't graphically amazing, and is moderately complicated. Sid Meier's Pirates, for example. Once you get into it, it's super fun, but it's hard to get into and doesn't look all that impressive. Dwarf Fortress is probably like 50x as much but I'm still trying to get into it :P
raocow wrote: In a world where shag carpeting wins a fight against a helicopter, we spend a lot of time reading and comparing numbers.
Sasquatch
Don't mess with sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Coryman wrote:A couple flash games that I like for reasons I don't understand. They're just strangely enjoyable.
Runescape certainly fits the criteria, I spent a couple years of my childhood on that game, but it's kinda... Broken now? I dunno, it's not the same as it was back on '06. Private servers and stuff are still fun, but... Yeah.
Basically any oldish game that isn't graphically amazing, and is moderately complicated. Sid Meier's Pirates, for example. Once you get into it, it's super fun, but it's hard to get into and doesn't look all that impressive. Dwarf Fortress is probably like 50x as much but I'm still trying to get into it :P
Do you mean the Pirates from the mid-2000s or the one from the 80s? I bought the newer game earlier this year and it's really a blast to play.
Nathan the Talkmaus
Unofficial Talkhaus Mascot

Post by Nathan the Talkmaus »

I'll agree with the sentiments already expressed about tower defense games (I rarely enjoy them but get really hooked when I do, and would not really recommend any of them to anyone else).

There's also quirky flash games that override my hatred of clunky control with my love of cuteness or unlikely romance, like Rabbit Love Wolf. Or just with a really strong sense of humor.

There's also probably hundreds of such games for the Official Hamster Republic Role-Playing Game Construction Engine which I played and enjoyed in spite of them being objectively terrible games, or just where they're tedious to play (grinding is lame).
Winner of the Horikawa Blessing 2015
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Pathological is such an amazing experience. It's very emotionally draining, exhausting and frustrating, which is why I loved it.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Yggdra Union & Sting games in general. Usually people get turned off just by seeing the cluttered UI

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Flower, Sun and Rain. It's more or less a lot of walking around and talking to people with the occasional vague yet easy number puzzle, and the only version you can play in English (or anything that isnt Japanese, for that matter) is the DS one which has... significantly worse graphics. The plot relies on twists involving characters who appeared in The Silver Case, a game which still has yet to be released internationally (a remake is still coming eventually) so the very point of the game, the story, doesn't really work for any non-Japanese players. The game makes bad design decisions like forcing you to walk long distances back and forth between a few characters, and it makes these decisions completely consciously.

And yet, I love the surreal dreamlike atmosphere, and the little lines and scenes that make the player raise their eyebrow. It's not a satisfying gaming experience, it's not a particularly fun to play gaming experience, but it's certainly special.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom.

It probably speaks for itself why it's hard to recommend this, honestly. Which is a real shame, as it's definitely one of the better "collect all the things" style games I've come across. It has a much greater sense of progression than you normally get from the genre, there's no "lives" nonsense, it lets you travel instantly to any area or sub-area you've ever entered no matter where you are or what you're doing (believe me, this is absurdly convenient), and cases where you need to find every instance of a particular collectible are few and far between. In fact, there's only one type of collectible that comes anywhere close to "scouring a level", and even then it's less "something there are 100 of in each level, better hope you don't miss one" and more "something there are roughly 10 of in each level which draw attention to themselves more often than not".

It's actually really great.
I don't really get it but okay
Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)

Post by Dizzybelle »

cheez8 wrote:Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom.
oh! i remember that game!
a guy i knew in school had it, and i wanted to go to his house purely so i could play it
that game was super fun~
ImageImageImage
Octagon
zentraidon
Pronouns: she

Post by Octagon »

Xenogears is a game that I remember fondly and still gives me feelings every now and then. It's also a pretentious, inconsistent, tone-deaf, overwrought mess.
That said, I kinda do want other people to play the game because I'm curious about their reactions.

And then there's Dhux's Scar. It's just as confusing as Xenogears, has tedious and unbalanced gameplay, and just feels edgy with its over-the-top gore and bigoted writing.
I didn't enjoy myself during most of the time spent playing it because the combat is stressful yet repetitive, but I can look back on it fondly because it's very unique.

Deadly Premonition seems like it'd fit into a trinity with these games, but I haven't played it.
Image WHAT DOES THE P STAND FOR
Leet

Post by Leet »

Octagon wrote:Xenogears is a game that I remember fondly and still gives me feelings every now and then. It's also a pretentious, inconsistent, tone-deaf, overwrought mess.
That said, I kinda do want other people to play the game because I'm curious about their reactions.
Oh man, I really want to play that eventually. That description does not deter me at all, because I'm used to seeing my favorite things described as "messes", even by myself
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Hey You, Pikachu! I've always wondered how people DON'T LIKE THIS GAME.

Who has the most?
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Toejam and Earl: Panic On Funkotron

It was my first game, so I'm a bit biased. A platformer that was designed as a followup to a roguelike, for whatever reason. Full of fetch quests and somewhat clunky platforming, and it's just absolutely weird in a lot of ways. But I still think it's decently fun after the first few levels, I like fighting some of the enemies, and, well, the nostalgia factor.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Duvi0
Artist, streamer, level designer, and more, for the low low price of a jar of peaches!

Post by Duvi0 »

Will Fight For Food. Everything about this game is absolutely stunning and amazing, except for one factor:

IT'S AN HOUR AND A HALF LONG.
Yo peeps! I'm Duvi. Wanna know more about what I'm like, look at my tumblr, http://duvi0.tumblr.com
talk to me on Skype (mossyduvi0) or Steam (duvi0), or watch my streams at http://twitch.tv/duvi0!
However, my description of myself goes like this: I'm a smart idiot who writes and designs well, but as jacks of all trades go, I can really do jack.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

SaGa Frontier. I love this game to death (even wrote the internet's first full FAQ/walkthrough for the North American release), but it has a steep learning curve, and it will murder your face off if you're not careful. It's also very easy to get completely lost, as the game does a very poor job of letting you know where to go. If it even bothers at all.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Leet

Post by Leet »

I just remembered that I actually love the original CRAZ'D, in all its arbitrary anti-glory