(shouting)

Some guy plans to do a Kickstarter for a brand-new* "retro" cartridge-based console (Up: COLECO Chameleon)

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
AlchemistHohenheim

Some guy plans to do a Kickstarter for a brand-new* "retro" cartridge-based console (Up: COLECO Chameleon)

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

*Recycling the design of the Atari Jaguar.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/08/this- ... e-console/

I...I dunno man. I can appreciate the passion and effort that seems to be going into this, but this seems like an absolutely awful move from a business perspective. Like...the Ouya barely mustered any actual developer support/interest, and that was targeting a much broader market than this thing seems to be aimed at.

That's not even getting into actually producing the cartridges to put games on. Even using "cheap" Flash storage, that stuff is going to be a lot more expensive to mass-produce than a bunch of optical discs, or just allowing digital downloads to internal storage. Nintendo and Sony can pull it off with the 3DS and the Vita because they're Nintendo and Sony. Some niche start-up company? Uh...color me skeptical.

Still, best of luck to them in attempting to actually pull this off.
Last edited by AlchemistHohenheim 8 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: Some guy plans to do a Kickstarter for a brand-new* "retro" cartridge-based console

Post by Ashan »

I don't trust Kickstarter hardware projects.

I mean, best of luck to him but I'm pretty sure the only Kickstarter hardware projects that have fulfilled what they promised we Oculus Rift and Pebble. And this seems pretty ambitious.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Re: Some guy plans to do a Kickstarter for a brand-new* "retro" cartridge-based console

Post by ZephyrBurst »

That's going to fail pretty bad I'm sure. I see the passion behind it, but it's not going to get any developer or market support. Not while the mobile market is around.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I had no faith in the ouya and I have no faith in this, and this actually sounds kind of cool
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Kuupa
That's me on the beat, btw [:
First name: Alex
Pronouns: the male ones

Post by Kuupa »

I dunno how I feel about the whole retro thing in general. Like yeah, it's nice, but rebooting what is essentially obsolete technology for the sake of nostalgia doesn't make sense. Yeah, "the kids are going to miss out on it", but are they really missing out on anything? For those who grew up with cartridge based systems, plugging in a cartridge feels nice. I feel nostalgia for the clicking of a Gamecube disc and lid. But if you're trying to market to kids who grew up in a world of discs and digital downloads (or really anyone without a nostalgic bias), it's going to seem kinda weird and backwards.

Eh, best of luck to them, I guess. They're gonna need it.
So here we are. Plays have been enacted. Empires have come and gone. The mightiest have passed away and withered, alike the least. Fires have burned, thousandfold. Yet, did not the great wind serenely continue its course? Does not the blackbird still sing its song? Does not the mistletoe still dwell in the oak's crown? Forgotten, what once has been told. Veiled, the words that once so rang out. Shrouded, like the larva in its cocoon. Let him hear it, who will.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Siwwy Wabbit
Bearded viking man (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Siwwy Wabbit »

I don't hold much hope for this, but cool none the less.
FancyFancy

Post by FancyFancy »

Couldn't he not have picked the toilet bowl of console designs?
FILMED IN
ImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Ashan wrote:I don't trust Kickstarter hardware projects.
Argumentable wrote:I had no faith in the ouya and I have no faith in this, and this actually sounds kind of cool
This is literally my opinion on this

The fact that they picked an Atari Jaguar case is sheer ironic comedy I have to say
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Redesignated
but what even is tuna
First name: Red
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Some guy plans to do a Kickstarter for a brand-new* "retro" cartridge-based console (Up: Indiegogo)

Post by Redesignated »

That is — not the most encouraging or impressive of comparison charts.
stuff 'n' things this will get filled in eventually i swear
WasabiJellyfish

Post by WasabiJellyfish »

"We can't fix problems with our system OR our games! Isn't that impressive??"
Gema Gema
This account is up for grabs.
First name: If you want it, read the
Pronouns: details in sig.

Re: Some guy plans to do a Kickstarter for a brand-new* "retro" cartridge-based console (Up: Indiegogo)

Post by Gema Gema »

Dont get me wrong, i love carts, but they not practical. there expensive to make and don't hold enough memory.
I'm done with this account and anyone can have it for their own use. No payment of any sort required. If you're interested, send an email to barrywhit@email.com. First come, first served. Upon receiving an email, I will log in to delete this sig and then send a response e-mail containing the password. If this sig is still up, then this account is available!
AlchemistHohenheim

Re: Some guy plans to do a Kickstarter for a brand-new* "retro" cartridge-based console (Up: COLECO Chameleon)

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Now owned by COLECO and known as the COLECO Chameleon, supposedly:

http://www.retrovgs.com/press.html
Trabuco Canyon, CA (PR) – December 17, 2015 Video-game industry pioneer COLECO re-enters the market, partnering with Retro Video Game Systems, Inc., to introduce a new, modern-day video-game system called the COLECO Chameleon.

COLECO Chameleon is a versatile new video-game system that serves as a modern day take on the classic game console and will accurately play classic games from the past. The COLECO Chameleon also has the ability play brand-new games in the 8-, 16- and 32-bit styles, a growing and popular genre in today’s game scape.

Chris Cardillo, a partner in COLECO said, "Mark [Thomann] and I are excited to work hand-in-hand with Retro Video Game Systems, Inc. in the launch of the COLECO Chameleon. It's ironic that a new ‘retro’ video-game system would actually revolutionize and revitalize the COLECO brand."

And, for the first time in nearly 20 years, the COLECO Chameleon will once again play brand new games on long-lasting, durable cartridges that can be played, traded, and collected for a lifetime. And all game cartridges will include high quality, plastic clamshell cases with illustrated instruction manuals and game developer liner notes.

Retro Video Game Systems, Inc. President Mike Kennedy adds, “The COLECO Chameleon is a love-letter to all the classic cartridge based gaming systems that came before it and we love the fact it will succeed COLECO’s successful Telstar and Colecovision product lines. It will take gamers and their families back to a simpler time where games were all about great gameplay and fun factor.”

The COLECO Chameleon will launch in early 2016 and will also be demonstrated at Toy Fair New York 2016, February 13-16.
I'm...not sure how to feel about this.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Re: Some guy plans to do a Kickstarter for a brand-new* "retro" cartridge-based console (Up: COLECO Chameleon)

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

And that's only because the original Indiegogo campaign faceplanted hard
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

If you haven't kept up on this, here's an update, courtesy Checnkpoint.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

if by poorly executed you mean that they couldn't even get to the point where they took anyone's money
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

I eagerly await further news, bag of popcorn in my hand and wallet safely tucked away in a cabinet with the rest of my empty tupperware. Hopefully they make an accompanying CD add-on that makes it look like a toilet tangled up in a cable salad of life support, SEGA CD 32X-style. And, uh, do something that justifies the price tag of a disc-based, high-definition, internet and digital media-supporting console.
qazcake
A cake masquerading as a burger
First name: qaz

Post by qazcake »