(shouting)

Jail segments in video games...

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Saturn Moriya

Jail segments in video games...

Post by Saturn Moriya »

One of those interesting video game tropes. Maybe it's an easy way to strip players of their equipment and put them in a sneaking situation. Or just to make you feel helpless. Some that come to mind are Chrono Trigger, Ys, Sword of Mana, Illusion of Gaia, Ocarina of Time Wind Waker Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, Metal Gear (?!)...the list goes on and on.

IDK I just think it's funny how games love putting you in prison. Even funnier is how easy it is to get out. Be it a random hole somewhere or someone resquing you almost instantly. Kinda takes away the impact of it when you experience it for the 100th time. It changes from "oh crap what's happening?!" to "heeeeere we go *eyeroll*".

What are your favorite jail sequences? What are your least favorite jail sequences? What are jail sequences and why? Jail sequences!!!!.....!

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Jail segments in video games...

Post by Bwarch »

Good Guy Mario: could probably break out of his prison in Sunshine but does his time and community service even though he was framed.

Like, the only character to NOT break out of prison.

The "prison" segment in Super Paper Mario is probably my favorite gameplay-wise, also the only one but I really liked the puzzley nature of it.

Wait nope, Wind Waker too I played. Pretty sure we all unanimously hated that part. Too annoying and tedious to be fun.

Its funny in Freedom Planet how they really build up the "we're trapped here now!" thing and they just bust through a wall at the start of the level. Super powered furries yo.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

-Mega Man Zero 4 has a decent one, except you're trying to break into and out of the place to rescue someone instead of being put there.

-A lot of RPGs use this mechanic. For some reason, I remember Xenogears standing out. I think there were enemies that had the ability to one-shot you in the sewer escape, so that might be why.

-Bwarch mentioned Freedom Planet. I'm still not sure they broke out of prison so much as a scene happened and wham! You're in Jade Creek outta nowhere.

-The two mech-shooter stages in Sonic Adventure 2 were okay. Eggman's breaking in, Tails is trying to break Sonic out if I remember it right.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

Bean wrote:-Mega Man Zero 4 has a decent one, except you're trying to break into and out of the place to rescue someone instead of being put there.
I was actually going to write that initially, but I thought "eh that won't count".

But yeah, it's my favourite level from Megaman Zero 4.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

The golden sun optional stealth segment to rescue Ivan's master/mentor/dude guy I consider for this. It's pretty neat actually. You get this psynergy that makes you invisible in the shadows and go sneaking IN to a jail.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Just use the hookshot.

Jeeze
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Euparkeria
Palaeontological Platformerer
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Euparkeria »

Mother 1 has the optional funny "underage drinking" scene, and Mother 3 locks you in jail briefly as a story point. Those I recall.
Cool banner by Neutron Star!
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Final Fantasy VIII - beginning of second disc in the D-District Prison which was located in the middle of a desert. Music was pretty rad too.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Gerudo FortressImage
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Tower of the Sorcerer is basically one big jail sequence. When you start the game you already have OP equipment and are plowing through all enemies easily, but about 2 minutes in you are trapped by evil wizard and end up in jail with no equipment at all. When you escape, the same enemies you effortlessly squished moments ago are now wrecking your face. And you don't get your starting equipment until the very end of the game.

I like when games do this, I think one of the castlevanias did it? Not sure

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I've played a lot of room escape games. They are usually very simple point and click games, that are played for the puzzle or the aesthetics. They rarely have any kind of proper story. Most of them are bad, since they are fairly easy to make and tend to be boring to play and easy to get stuck in.
Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Dizzybelle »

demon gaze starts in a jail, and its never really explained or revisited
its just kinda, you wake up in a jail, theres a demon there, have fun

then you leave the jail and nobody really tells you why they stuck the amnesiac with the weird magic eyeball in the basement dungeon without explaining anything to him

oh man jrpgs
ImageImageImage
spitznagl
­­­­~1.68e+7 real colors

Post by spitznagl »

My favorite prison segment is in Drill Dozer for the gba. It's not much of a challenge, but it's quite satisfying.

ImageImage
Mystick
Pronouns: he/him/his!

Post by Mystick »

Duuuuuude, can't believe no one mentioned that one jail segment in Ghost Trick when you need to rescue

Detective Jowd

and there's a rock star and a very fat guy.
Yo'
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Zero Escape series had some interesting takes on this trope too. I was reminded of it on the recent Extra Credits episode, which talked about escape the room games a little too.

Imaynotbehere4long
Gone, but...yeah, pretty much forgotten.

Post by Imaynotbehere4long »

Saturn Moriya wrote:IDK I just think it's funny how games love putting you in prison. Even funnier is how easy it is to get out. Be it a random hole somewhere or someone resquing you almost instantly. Kinda takes away the impact of it when you experience it for the 100th time.
To be fair, if the games actually made you wait in jail, it would get really boring. That's why I hate Illusion of Gaia's jail sequence so much: it actually makes you wait. You don't have to look for an item or secret passage or anything; you just have to wait there for the game to set you free.

Of course, Illusion of Gaia's jail sequence has nothing on its raft sequence. I'd go on a rant about it if it weren't off topic.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)

SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026