(shouting)

Top 5 Legend of Zelders?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Re: Top 5 Legend of Zelders?

Post by Jesuiscontent »

It's ok, this thread is a disguised survey for Nintendo, thanks for helping :

Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I've read most of them but I stopped eventually cause everyone's is basically the same thing.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Wind Waker's the divisive one. I like it, but man, if it didn't just kill all interest I had in the series back in the day. I think I was getting annoyed with that whole timeline thing and really just wanted them to continue with the OoT/MM Link. Nowadays, I don't care anymore.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

dr_kraid wrote:I didn't read anybody else's post and I don't think anybody else did either
I actually enjoyed reading all the ones where people gave their reasoning. I dunno, maybe it's weird, but I just think it's cool to get to learn about all the different viewpoints people have on stuff like this.

That also probably explains why I have no qualms talking my face off so frequently, but still, differing opinions are interesting to me.
I don't really get it but okay
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

My favourite ones are:

1) ALTTP
2) ALBW
3) LA
4) Oracle of what you prefer
5) Hyrule Warriors (screw the rules, this one is a Zelda game to me)
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

1: Oracle of Ages
2: Link's Awakening
3: Minish Cap
4: Twilight Princess
4: ocarina of time
4: Wind Waker
4: Oracle of seasons
4: Link To The Past
5: Majora's Mask
:pal: Image :pal:

Miyuron

Post by Miyuron »

1) Majora's Mask
2) Wind Waker
3) Ocarina of Time
4) Twilight Princess
5) A Link to the Past

I always prefered the 3D Zelda's over the 2D ones.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Bean wrote:Wind Waker's the divisive one. I like it, but man, if it didn't just kill all interest I had in the series back in the day. I think I was getting annoyed with that whole timeline thing and really just wanted them to continue with the OoT/MM Link. Nowadays, I don't care anymore.
Well if you're worried about it killing your Zelda marathon, put it off until last, but it's really good once you get into it!
How far did you get in any of your attempted playthroughs?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

No, that's not what I meant. Sorry. I actually beat Wind Waker back in the day on the Gamecube. I just have no desire to play it again even though I thought it was fine. I'll just keep going with the ones I haven't beaten for the time being.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I've watched LPs of Majora's Mask but I never got into it myself. Because I don't like time limits or sidequests. Am I a Hitler?
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

I could never get into Wind Waker. I've watched playthroughs of it and can see it does some awesome things later on, but I still haven't given it a third chance. Overworld is extremely important to me, and WW's overworld really doesn't suit me well.

Which is a real shame because the later islands and dungeons look so cool!! ...I should really just take the hit and make my way through sometime. Maybe when I don't have literally a hundred RPGs in my backlog.

I've also played Link's Awakening and the Oracle games, invested a good amount of time in them and even getting near the end, but for no good reason I just stopped. And I really enjoyed them too. Some of the finest 2D Zelda dungeons.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

I realize that I'm in a significant minority here, but I actually love WW's overworld. Love it. Nothing in any other Zelda game has ever given me the same sense of excitement and discovery. You could be travelling to the next plot point and see a shadow on the horizon, and sail over and discover a new island with a new puzzle or mini-dungeon with a Heart Piece or a fat Rupee or a Treasure Chart or all sorts of shit. I love it. But then, I've always loved the ocean, and I have been known to look at various tiny islands on Google Maps when bored in class, so maybe I'm the only person in the target audience.

In fact my only beef with the overworld is the Reefs. Boring filler. Fuck 'em.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

dr_kraid wrote:I realize that I'm in a significant minority here, but I actually love WW's overworld. Love it. Nothing in any other Zelda game has ever given me the same sense of excitement and discovery. You could be travelling to the next plot point and see a shadow on the horizon, and sail over and discover a new island with a new puzzle or mini-dungeon with a Heart Piece or a fat Rupee or a Treasure Chart or all sorts of shit. I love it. But then, I've always loved the ocean, and I have been known to look at various tiny islands on Google Maps when bored in class, so maybe I'm the only person in the target audience.

In fact my only beef with the overworld is the Reefs. Boring filler. Fuck 'em.
My thoughts too. WW was the one to really scratch that discovery and adventure itch.

Helped that the sailing music and atmosphere was phenomenal, with little touches like the seagulls.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Yup, Wind Waker really felt like it had the biggest world of any Zelda game.
I think it's something that Skyward Sword tried to imitate but it didn't do very well since there was basically one significant island and then a few floating rocks with chests on them.
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

Yeah Skyward Sword was rubbish, most of the islands had fuck all on them. They really dropped the ball on that one and I'm not sure how come.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I think Skyward Sword in itself was a good game, the flying stuff was just boring.
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

I have alot of issues with Skyward Sword. The overworld isn't just empty but it's also very tiny. Exploring it is worthless. There's maybe two or three significant locations, and the goddess cubes are all marked on your map, so it turns into flailing your arms around until you're nearby.

To me the ground areas generally feel like a straight path with some tiny intersections here and there rather than actual areas. It's really unsatisfying.

I just don't like motion controls. I can't. And there's so much of it. You're supposed to think your motions through, but it becomes repetitive and obnoxious very quick, and gets in the way of proper combat and item mechanics.

And speaking of obnoxious, Fi wastes your time twice as much as any helper character before. That makes two of the main mechanics very unfortunate timewasters.

Then there's just the little things, like a stamina bar and a crafting system, or a random sequence where you have to protect a stupid robot carrying a tub of water. Or dowsing for five Kikwis. Or fighting the imprisoned several times. Or the backtracking because you randomly have to talk to someone somewhere else. Or the even longer than ever before warmup/intro/tutorial sequence.

As you can tell, dungeons aren't high on my importance list. I've always found 3D Zelda dungeons to be very simple, and they can be a nice experience, but they really don't do all that much for me. Some dungeons are really cool, like just about all of them in Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask, where even the first dungeon has you thinking about what you're doing. In Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword I found the puzzles to be a mere "figure out where to go from point a to b to c etc.".

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
spitznagl
­­­­~1.68e+7 real colors

Post by spitznagl »

1. 1. Oracle of Seasons
    2. Minish Cap
    3. Oracle of ages
    4. Ocarina of time
    5. A link to the past
ImageImage
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

Wind Waker may be my favorite all time game as well
That crazy voice dude
GanonTEK
Evil King
Location: Ireland. The Emerald Isle. (We got no emeralds though)

Top 5 Legend of Zelders?

Post by GanonTEK »

#5 - Twilight Princess
I remember really liking the style of the game. Bit repetitive at times though and at one point things feel like you wasted your time. The town wasn't as alive as it could have been. I liked the mechanics and the dungeons and the bugs.

#4 - Oracle of Ages/Seasons
Bunching them together because they are both great games. I preferred the Seasons mechanic overall. The link system was clever. Good amount of dungeons, items and rings to find.

#3 - Link's Awakening
An amazing game for such a small cartridge. Great dungeons. Nice trading sequence. Cool bosses and an emotional storyline.

#2 - Skyward Sword
I really liked this game. The style was nice like a cross between alttp and oot. I actually liked the controls. Some of it was a little repetitive but it kept me interested. I liked the Goddess cubes, bugs and things. The upgrade system I thought was interesting.

#1 - A Link to the Past
My 2nd favourite game of all time. Just a hair behind Metroid Prime. Amazing game, loads of dungeons and items. Cool bosses and enemies. Many memorable characters. Love replaying it.

As a bonus I'm going to mention why I don't like certain games
Legend of Zelda - bit difficult. I've never beaten it.
Zelda II - so so hard!
Ocarina of Time - I do like it. Might have been #6
Majora's Mask - Dungeons too long and the time limit doesn't help. Not enough dungeons. Also I sort of ruined the game for myself the year I got it so, yeah, my on fault partially.
Minish Cap - the fact I'm missing one kinstone match for the last 10 years bothers me. It's a good game. I missed the light arrows too. I don't like, essentially, points of no return in games. (Depending on the game)
Phantom Hourglass - ok dungeons, too repetitive at times.
Spirit Tracks - great dungeons but everything else I hated. Especially the train mechanic.
Four Swords Adventures - I like this game, need to play more of it.
Wind Waker - great game. Too much sailing. Maybe needed another dungeon or two.
A link between worlds - yeah, this game. Found it very easy. Loved the mechanic but bit repetitive at times. Had very clever ideas though. Loved the maiamais. Too many characters introduced in a short space of time I hadn't a clue who some were but knew they all would be sages.
GalaxyOfJ
The Mysterious Stranger Except Incompetent

Post by GalaxyOfJ »

I'm a bit mentally taxed right now, so I won't be including any big summation, but I'll still post my list for posterity's sake

In no particular order:

Oracle of Seasons
Majora's Mask
Twilight Princess
Link to the Past
Wind Waker
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

- Wind Waker
- Minish Cap
- Skyward Sword
- Ocarina of Time / Four Swords Adventure
- Spirit Tracks / Link's Awakening

Keep in mind that I haven't played Twilight Princess or Majora's Mask yet. They'll probably make it on there somewhere.
Duvi0
Artist, streamer, level designer, and more, for the low low price of a jar of peaches!

Post by Duvi0 »

1- Minish Cap
2- Link to the Past
3- Link's Awakening DX
4- Twilight Princess
5- Zelda 2
Yo peeps! I'm Duvi. Wanna know more about what I'm like, look at my tumblr, http://duvi0.tumblr.com
talk to me on Skype (mossyduvi0) or Steam (duvi0), or watch my streams at http://twitch.tv/duvi0!
However, my description of myself goes like this: I'm a smart idiot who writes and designs well, but as jacks of all trades go, I can really do jack.
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

My opinions on Zelda have kind of flip-flopped over the last year or so, having played ALttP and replayed Majora's Mask.
Also, I haven't played any of the new Zeldas like ALbW or Warriors, or either of the DS Zeldas, so this might be subject to change

So here, have a top 5 in no particular order (With one toss-up):
Twilight Princess
Wind Waker
Minish Cap
Majora's Mask
A Link to the Past/Link's Awakening
ohmato
hey idiot

Post by ohmato »

1. Wind Waker
2. Link Between Worlds
3. Twilight Princess
4. ALttP
5. Majora's Mask

That said, I find that a lot of people on the internet criticize certain games in the series for the dungeons, and yet MM is at the top of their list.

When it has this: