(shouting)

Overlooked Environments and Atmospheres

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Wolfolotl
cryptid
First name: ovid
Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr

Overlooked Environments and Atmospheres

Post by Wolfolotl »

hello so I have been thinking about potential video game ideas a lot because I kinda wanna dabble in Game Dev and I realized that, even though there are a lotta places and feelings that they have emulated, there are some that they have overlooked! so I made this thread just for a talk-kinda thing of what would be really neat to see in a video game (and if there are any video games that feature those things prominently that I have not known about)

the ones I can think of off the top of my head are:
-the weird desolate beauty found in a drought-stricken wasteland
-pretty things that just seem too beautiful to be real
-finding a belonging that isn't yours and wondering what the story behind it is
:nb_pride:
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Re: Overlooked Environments and Atmospheres

Post by Mata Hari »

You are a dog in a world of sports
Art dealership
Losing your phone simulator
Pygmalion: The Video Game
The genesis of horrorcore
The Incredible Adventures of the Man with No Eyelids
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory

Post by Juanbro »

I don't know if this was used in recent games, but I have rarely seen some kind of tower/castle that is collapsing and you must traverse it, but not like your normal "the roof and some pillars are falling, along with some debris blocking your way", no, but the likes of "there is literally no floor, you must get to the upper level via falling debris, platforms and other things.

One idea that came to me, and is actually in relation to what I wrote above, is a tower that keeps generating when you climb it, but the bottom floors start being destroyed with the passage of time. This is happening due to some kind of dimensional portals in the bottom and in the top, which will cause you a game over if they are touched. If you go close enough to the top portal, the flow of the tower will suddenly change, and now the top is the one who is being destroyed, and the bottom the one who is being generated. All of this while you search the core that is generating this phenomenon. There are monsters too, and can be killed by the portals too.

I hope that you can understand that environment.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Juanbro wrote:I don't know if this was used in recent games, but I have rarely seen some kind of tower/castle that is collapsing and you must traverse it, but not like your normal "the roof and some pillars are falling, along with some debris blocking your way", no, but the likes of "there is literally no floor, you must get to the upper level via falling debris, platforms and other things.

One idea that came to me, and is actually in relation to what I wrote above, is a tower that keeps generating when you climb it, but the bottom floors start being destroyed with the passage of time. This is happening due to some kind of dimensional portals in the bottom and in the top, which will cause you a game over if they are touched. If you go close enough to the top portal, the flow of the tower will suddenly change, and now the top is the one who is being destroyed, and the bottom the one who is being generated. All of this while you search the core that is generating this phenomenon. There are monsters too, and can be killed by the portals too.

I hope that you can understand that environment.
While this isn't exactly what you're describing, it's akin to the second part of Savant Ascent, a rather strange take on the twin-stick shooter by replacing the free range of left analog movement with two dynamic platforms and two means of moving between them.
LovelyPenguin
Penguinpenguinpen
First name: \(0v0)/
Pronouns: any are fine

Post by LovelyPenguin »

A level environment I haven't seen in a whole lot of video games would be plains/farm land. They can be pretty beautiful and peaceful; might make for a good "first level".

Otherwise, the reason it probably isn't used is because plains are relatively featureless, so the terrain isn't very interesting. But I dunno, if you've got farmlands, you could have barns, irrigation stuff, etc. to break up the monotony.
"The penguin is the core of the universe; the penguin is all."
- raocow

HamsterZerg
True Pacifist or bust.
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: Oh, don't mind me. I'm just contacting you from the distant past. Carry on.

Post by HamsterZerg »

Anyone else remember Level -0 from Stinkoman 20X6? I feel that the concept used in that level is highly underused.

Avatar by Skully (artwork) and bkamakaze (size). Thanks, guys!
Soma Cruz, Linkara, and Olimar for SMBX 2.0

Game King-style Story Briefs, a forum game by me
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

There needs to be more cliffside beaches in games. They are objectively the best kinds of beaches.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Kuupa
That's me on the beat, btw [:
First name: Alex
Pronouns: the male ones

Post by Kuupa »

I really love level environments that function as things other than levels. That's one of the things I think Super Mario Sunshine had over Galaxy and 64, all of the environments were still very clearly a part of a tropical resort, and it was a really well built world.
So here we are. Plays have been enacted. Empires have come and gone. The mightiest have passed away and withered, alike the least. Fires have burned, thousandfold. Yet, did not the great wind serenely continue its course? Does not the blackbird still sing its song? Does not the mistletoe still dwell in the oak's crown? Forgotten, what once has been told. Veiled, the words that once so rang out. Shrouded, like the larva in its cocoon. Let him hear it, who will.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

What I have seen rarely in games I play is Lava + Water levels. You could make pretty neat things out of that.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

hmm

the kind of place that makes you feel at home but in a surreal way

i dont know what that means

but yume nikki + some yume nikki fangames accomplish it at times, somehow

yume 2kki and lcd dem are my house
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.