(shouting)

Official "Mario Maker"!

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Re: Official "Mario Maker"?

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

onpon4 wrote:This level editor is no good: it's going to be proprietary.
Post of the year 2014

(I mean seriously that's a good point)

Let's hope that statement about expanding the game will be truer than what it seems.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

onpon4 wrote:This level editor is no good: it's going to be proprietary.
What, exactly, would be the benefit to Nintendo as a company otherwise? It's not like they're designing it to be run on your computer - it's going to be run on a gaming console that you probably don't/won't own anyway.

This is something that Nintendo probably could have done starting with the Wii/DSi, to be honest. The infrastructure has been there for a while, and there's been interest in one for years (especially with the redigit situation). Making an official one to sell will be a windfall for them, especially if it's comparatively inexpensive.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Oh man, who would have ever thought that a game being released a year from now would have more features than are being demonstrated in its first public appearance.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Sebby19 wrote:I wonder how Tall and Thin Mario looks like in the New Mario Bros. style.

Perhaps to prevent overwhelming first time creators, they can keep some elements locked until later. Hopefully, unlocking stuff will be in big chunks, rather than bit by bit.
Didn't everyone hate that locking idea in the "Super Mario Uprising" topic on here?
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

TiKi wrote:
Sebby19 wrote:I wonder how Tall and Thin Mario looks like in the New Mario Bros. style.

Perhaps to prevent overwhelming first time creators, they can keep some elements locked until later. Hopefully, unlocking stuff will be in big chunks, rather than bit by bit.
Didn't everyone hate that locking idea in the "Super Mario Uprising" topic on here?
thats because that was a pc thing

an official nintendo product makes more sense to have that kinda thing
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

Or they could just give you a tutorial using only the simple items and then show you what you could do with that and then after that's done sorta show them that other palettes of stuff exists and leave it up to the players to experiment with how stuff works.
If they did a thing like have a (bi?)weekly "make this kinda level" contest thing like they did with Check Mii Out it'd encourage players to make dynamic, quality levels.
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag
First name: beatboxingboo

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

darkychao wrote:If they did a thing like have a (bi?)weekly "make this kinda level" contest thing like they did with Check Mii Out it'd encourage players to make dynamic, quality levels.
Maybe they could reward people with nintendo club coins to inspire them to actually create good levels.
Bryux

Post by Bryux »

But nintendo club doesn't exist everywhere :( It doesn't exist here
woawoawoah someone spoilered the obligatory signaturtle
I settled with good old Kaguya
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

You're kidding, right?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

Bryux wrote:But nintendo club doesn't exist everywhere :( It doesn't exist here
Where does Club.Nintendo not exist?
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Ignore my last post, I misread yours.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

New Mario Maker trailer (VGA 2014)

Post by Rixithechao »

For those who missed it earlier...

And Miyamoto mentioned the possibility of it becoming a series.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Game looks way more interesting on that trailer. Hopefully the different games will have different mechanics and physics too. Not being able to switch between games during gameplay would help. It would ensure that players wouldn't need to design for multiple styles at once.
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Post by Lunikyuu »

@0:26 in the trailer: looks like Nintendo recognized people's love of danmaku levels

but yeah, it does look a bit more exciting than it did at launch. Still probably not going to have the functionality of Lunar Magic or SMBX, but it's a step forward. The cannons being able to shoot different objects was something I didn't expect.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Here's the full thing with the stuff leading up to it and the part at the end that was cut off on the Youtube vid.

Even if it won't end up rivaling SMW/SMBX/the bajillion and a half engines we're all working on, the editor is still shaping up to be pretty robust. So far we have:

- SMB, SMB3, SMW and NSMB skins with multiple themes/tilesets per game
- A seemingly decent selection of objects, items and enemies that aren't tied to individual themes
- A music composition feature a la Mario Paint
- Variations of certain enemies and objects (shaking koopas to change their shell colors, multiple terrain types, etc.)
- NPC modifiers (wings, size, projectile-swapping and who knows what else)
- Interactions between different elements (stack enemies, enemies and objects bounce on springboards, blocks that can be broken with shells)
- The possibilities of Youtube/social media integration, other playable characters, non-Mario game skins...
Last edited by Rixithechao 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

the cutoff part at the end also shows off the tanooki tail, so we're gonna get more then just small/big/fire mario, and maybe others. I wonder what smb1 tanooki mario will look like.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

Well that hints that maybe the cape or acorn suite will appear in the game.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Even if the game lacks a proper way to connect levels (whether it be through hubs, world maps, etc.) the kit seems super neat and I'm officially excited for a Mario game in the first time since... well, since I was a kid, I guess.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

Why did I only notice this just now and not earlier

I think I'll buy it once it's released, the most convincing point being music a la Mario Paint. Seriously.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I said they were going to expand this significantly but nobody listened

this looks amazing
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Lunatic Quark wrote:@0:26 in the trailer: looks like Nintendo recognized people's love of danmaku levels
I'm sure some people here will be happy, I'm sure.

Since when could Spinies shoot our their spines? The only time I could think of was Mario RPG, but not any platformers... I call shenanigans!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Leet wrote:I said they were going to expand this significantly but nobody listened
because nintendo doesn't like to give nice things if they don't say so

but
this looks amazing
I agree
(Formerly Jayoshi)
skyluigi2

Post by skyluigi2 »

I'm definitely looking forward to this, but I wonder how they'll handle the physics and stuff? I mean, for example... you can only triple jump in New Super Mario Bros.; will they remove that? And what about the spin-jump? Either way, it looks super cool. And I really don't think it'll stop new Mario platformers from existing.
Emmeth

Post by Emmeth »

With this and raocow getting/already have gotten a Wii U, would a future 'Mario Maker' level design series still too much to hope for?
Sometimes it's easier to let go than go on.
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

Best to wait to actually see how it turns out and how the level sharing works for a contest.

Plus people are going to need some time to see what they can make with it before they start making an actual contest.