(shouting)

Wii U: The threadening

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Eila

Re: Wii U: The threadening

Post by Eila »

Bwarch wrote:I would probably recommend NSMBU IF you haven't played any other games in the NSMB line of games. Because honestly they're all really samey so if you've played one you've basically gotten all the experience you need out of the series.

If you have played NSMB at all Wario games always seem to be pretty decent so Game and Wario might be worth going for.
I've played NSMB whatever was on the Wii, I think it came with it. The full list of games I can choose are:

Game and Wario, Pikmin 2, Zelda Windwaker HD, Sonic Lost World, Mario and Sonic at the winter Olympics, Wii party, Wonderful 101 and Monster Hunter 3.

I am pretty sure I get NSMBU regardless, as well as NintendoLand. So that makes the possibilities down to 8 games. None of which I can say I know too much about except some stuff on MH3.

Oh yeah, And Skylanders something or other. But that's a boxed game so that comes with it too.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

You've never played Wind Waker? Wind Waker is perhaps the best Legend of Zelda game (Fan opinions always varying quite widely of course, but that's my opinion for you.)

Pikmin 2 is amazing, Wii Party is fun with friends, Sonic Lost World was lackluster from what I hear, Mario and Sonic games I wouldn't wish for my worst enemy to play, and Wonderful 101 I've heard too many mixed opinions to make a judgement call on.

For sure though I think you should go for either Wind Waker or Pikmin 2 then, depending on whether you'd prefer puzzle/platformer/action in the form of Wind Waker or strategy/puzzle/action in Pikmin 2.
Ishntknew

Post by Ishntknew »

Doctor Shemp wrote: SM3DW is pretty much SMB3DL but with one or two different powerups and better levels.
I disagree with this assessment wholeheartedly. Super Mario 3D Land was atrociously boring, but I loved 3D World. 3D Land is the worst 3D Mario platformer, bar none. 3D World is maybe my second favorite. It has the "spark" that the Mario games have been missing for so many years. And that soundtrack. Oh man, the soundtrack.

Nintendo Land is amazing, especially if you have friends to play it with. Luigi's Ghost Mansion is one of the best things ever and shows the potential of the gamepad (which, sadly, hasn't been delivered on much since then).

Those are my top two games for the Wii U. Haven't gotten Tropical Freeze or Mario Kart 8 yet... Those will probably be my next purchases.
I'm a lizard's nightmare

Backloggery:
daypular
Eila

Post by Eila »

Bwarch wrote:You've never played Wind Waker? Wind Waker is perhaps the best Legend of Zelda game (Fan opinions always varying quite widely of course, but that's my opinion for you.)

Pikmin 2 is amazing, Wii Party is fun with friends, Sonic Lost World was lackluster from what I hear, Mario and Sonic games I wouldn't wish for my worst enemy to play, and Wonderful 101 I've heard too many mixed opinions to make a judgement call on.

For sure though I think you should go for either Wind Waker or Pikmin 2 then, depending on whether you'd prefer puzzle/platformer/action in the form of Wind Waker or strategy/puzzle/action in Pikmin 2.
I haven't played any Zelda games apart from one on Game Boy. If I were to get Wind Waker, would I be missing out on the over arching story if there is one?

The series just never really captured me.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Most of the Zelda games are stand alone titles that maybe reference previous ones. Wind Waker sort of references Ocarina of Time, but it's not a big deal.
Medley
The younger sister
First name: It's ambiguous, really
Pronouns:

Post by Medley »

How was it not a big deal, though? The whole game was basically the aftermath of Link and Zelda not knowing just what it meant to split the timelines like that. The world of WW wouldn't even exist if it weren't for them.
Pyon!
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Ishntknew wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote: SM3DW is pretty much SMB3DL but with one or two different powerups and better levels.
I disagree with this assessment wholeheartedly. Super Mario 3D Land was atrociously boring, but I loved 3D World. 3D Land is the worst 3D Mario platformer, bar none. 3D World is maybe my second favorite. It has the "spark" that the Mario games have been missing for so many years. And that soundtrack. Oh man, the soundtrack.
Significantly better levels is still just better levels. And for me, no, it didn't have that spark at all. The whole thing felt like "let's do 3D Land again but actually try and make good levels this time" with cats thrown in because they haven't done cats yet. And I hate that kawaii shit. The only 3D Marios that I felt were trying something significantly new that was good were 64 and Galaxy, and the only 3D Marios I think still hold up as great games today are Galaxy 1 & 2. Galaxy 2 didn't do anything significantly new but it had much better design than Galaxy 1.

If we're throwing around opinions on Zeldas too, I'd say every 3D Zelda has been worse than the previous one. So Wind Waker's not as good as Ocarina or Majora but it's better than Twilight or Skyward Sword (although honestly nearly everything is better than Skyward Sword). I think Twilight did improve in quite a few respects over Wind Waker, it just got worse in more respects. Then of course SS reversed Twilight's improvements and got worse across the board.

For Eila, who hasn't played Zelda, I'll summarise the console games thusly:
Legend of Zelda: top-down fantasy largely non-linear action adventure.
Adventure of Link: top-down fantasy action adventure / action platformer hybrid.
Link to the Past: top-down fantasy semi-linear action adventure.
Ocarina of Time: linear 3D fantasy action-adventure with puzzles in dungeons.
Majora's Mask: linear 3D fantasy action-adventure with puzzles everywhere.
Wind Waker: linear 3D anime action-adventure / waiting for very slow sailing hybrid with puzzles everywhere.
Twilight Princess: linear 3D fantasy action-adventure with puzzles everywhere that goes for too long.
Skyward Sword: hyper-linear 3D anime puzzle-adventure with puzzle-based combat. Half the game is backtracking.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Roy Angrym'n wrote:How was it not a big deal, though? The whole game was basically the aftermath of Link and Zelda not knowing just what it meant to split the timelines like that. The world of WW wouldn't even exist if it weren't for them.
Yes, you're right. What I meant was you can enjoy Wind Waker even if you haven't played Ocarina before, that's all.
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Roy Angrym'n wrote:How was it not a big deal, though? The whole game was basically the aftermath of Link and Zelda not knowing just what it meant to split the timelines like that. The world of WW wouldn't even exist if it weren't for them.
It only matters if you really care about timelines. Which you shouldn't Which is really not that important, because all the games work perfectly fine on their own. Literally any Zelda could be your first, it doesn't matter. There are tie-ins, but they're so minor they're pretty much irrelevant.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
Eila

Post by Eila »

If the general consensus is that by getting it I won't be missing out on too much, then I'll think about it. At the moment I am really unsure what to get, but I still have like another month and 20 days or something before the offer runs out.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Doctor Shemp wrote:The only 3D Marios that I felt were trying something significantly new that was good were 64 and Galaxy, and the only 3D Marios I think still hold up as great games today are Galaxy 1 & 2.
But. But Sunshine ;; I haven't seen a game even NEARLY attempt the same mechanics as Sunshine.
Doctor Shemp wrote: Wind Waker: linear 3D anime action-adventure / waiting for very slow sailing hybrid with puzzles everywhere.
They went for a fix with this in Wind Waker HD actually, they have implemented a much faster sail into the game that you can unlock.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I'm a Zelda timeline atheist. Nintendo clearly doesn't know what the time line is even though they tried to give an official one in the Hyrule Historia but they botched it so I just like to think you can put them in pretty much any order and it doesn't matter.
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Ashan wrote:I'm a Zelda timeline atheist. Nintendo clearly doesn't know what the time line is even though they tried to give an official one in the Hyrule Historia but they botched it so I just like to think you can put them in pretty much any order and it doesn't matter.
That. Exactly. It's also another reason I don't like Skyward Sword. They tried to make it all "woooo'h this is the piece of the puzzle that completes our master plan~" but really they just made that shit up as they were going along and it's so easy to make it tie in as a prequel because there really wasn't any point to make a prequel other than prequels being cool. Imo a prequel is only interesting when it has ground to exist; a mystery of what has already happened to be unfolding.

Get windwaker though. It's awesome.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Bwarch wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:The only 3D Marios that I felt were trying something significantly new that was good were 64 and Galaxy, and the only 3D Marios I think still hold up as great games today are Galaxy 1 & 2.
But. But Sunshine ;; I haven't seen a game even NEARLY attempt the same mechanics as Sunshine.
Emphasis on "that was good". The rocket and charge water packs were ok, although used very infrequently, but the hover pack served to just make jumps easier and the water gun was just used for cleaning up sludge which was pretty dull. It's Mario, I'm meant to be going on a big adventure not being a council worker.
Bwarch wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote: Wind Waker: linear 3D anime action-adventure / waiting for very slow sailing hybrid with puzzles everywhere.
They went for a fix with this in Wind Waker HD actually, they have implemented a much faster sail into the game that you can unlock.
It should be there from the beginning. Also it irks me as someone who knows how to sail that the mechanics are wrong. Sailing with the wind directly behind you is actually very slow! The fastest way to sail is at right angles to the wind. I can see why they wanted to make a simplified abstraction though.
Did they also fix:
  • The game ending in a fetch quest
  • Said fetch quest having multiple high rupee requirements forcing you to go and grind for rupees
  • What was obviously going to be the third dungeon being replaced by a cutscene
  • Several islands that were clearly going to have dungeons on them having nothing at all on them
  • The stealth segments having bad mechanics that largely degenerate them in to trial-and-error
  • The crane being unnecessarily precise which is a big problem when your boat isn't at all
  • Having three items (grappling hook, hookshot and deku leaf) that all function primarily to get you over big gaps i.e. the exact same primary function
  • Forcing you into a cutscene for the grappling hook every single time for no good reason
  • Not letting you change the angle of your grappling hook swing without stopping completely
  • The sail using up one of your item slots, restricting you to two items while sailing
  • Since you'll probably be using the Wind Waker every time you sail once you have the song to switch the wind direction, you effectively only have one useable item slot while sailing
  • One of the bosses being a near-clone of Bongo Bongo
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Doctor Shemp wrote:
  • What was obviously going to be the third dungeon being replaced by a cutscene
  • Several islands that were clearly going to have dungeons on them having nothing at all on them
What's this about?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

They had to rush the game to get out, so some things were cut. Sunshine most likely suffered a similar fate.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Which cutscene is it that replaced "what was obviously going to be a third dungeon"?
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

You have to get the three gems near the start of the game. You get the first one for beating Dragon Roost Cavern, the second one from beating Forbidden Woods and the third one from talking to Jabu. It's a little anti-climatic.

There's a couple of islands on the overworld that are very empty and look like a dungeon could easily go there.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Doctor Shemp wrote:You have to get the three gems near the start of the game. You get the first one for beating Dragon Roost Cavern, the second one from beating Forbidden Woods and the third one from talking to Jabu. It's a little anti-climatic.
Oh, right. Yeah, I didn't even really think of the fact that a dungeon could have been there.
Doctor Shemp wrote:There's a couple of islands on the overworld that are very empty and look like a dungeon could easily go there.
Maybe, but it could also be they just had to fill out the grid and didn't have any better ideas than "an island where you can go in a hole and there's some enemies in there you can fight."
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Did they also fix:
  • The stealth segments having bad mechanics that largely degenerate them in to trial-and-error
This part is why I stopped playing the game. They weren't even remotely enjoyable to me, just frustrating. And you get one quite early on that I failed repeatedly.

And I don't get why people are saying you have to play the games in order or anything. You miss next to nothing important if you don't. To the point I've played every game in one of the timelines beating several of them multiple times and had no idea they were even related past all being Zelda games. (The timeline that starts with A Link to the Past for anyone curious.)
Eila

Post by Eila »

This isn't exactly made clear, but how is the WiiU region locked? I can see it most definitely is, but is it the region lock where I can't import games to play them, or is it an entire region lock where I can't play with people outside my region?

I have alot of doubts it'd be the second, but it's worthwhile asking as I'd like to play with some overseas friends.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Considering that I saw people in a Mario Kart 8 vid playing with peeps from many different countries, probably the former.
Eila

Post by Eila »

Alright, excellent. Maybe I could play something with people here sometime too.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Still might want to do some research, but yeah I've just been watching these guys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sodwIPTqs1k

Canada, UK and USA for the people in their troop. So if your aim was to get Talkhaus shenanigans going on I definitely don't think you'd have an issue.
Eila

Post by Eila »

I've certainly never backed down from shenanigans. Just need to set up the WiiU now but I can't find the time for a few days.