(shouting)

Paper Mario Series

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
SnackJackSJ
*Pressing controller buttons and plucking guitar strings furiously*
First name: Adam

Re: Paper Mario Series

Post by SnackJackSJ »

Let's be honest and say that the Paper Mario series as a whole is definitely up there for me at my top 5 favorite gaming series of all time. In general it's got brilliant sound tracks, and intriguing and grabbing story lines.

For gameplay my favorite would have to go for TTYD, mostly due to the battle style. Not sure why, but I just think the team coordinated, 2D, turn based attack system is super neat and fun!

Although SPM's story never ceases to leave an emotional scar on my psyche, in ways that I couldn't properly describe.
But I also really love the fourth wall breaking in that game, it's pretty hysterical at times.
Whoa! Jack plays Mario Hacks?!
peace, love, and music
CM30

Post by CM30 »

I loved Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door. The characters, the graphical style, the music... it's still one of the best RPGs ever made and I still look back on it fondly. Heck, I still get somewhat depressed when I see the cutscenes during the final battle with that crystal star music...

The other games though, I have to admit I've never found enough interest in to buy. Super Paper Mario seemed okay, but I had a lot better games in my sights, many of which were for the Wii and took my attention away from this one. I liked the characters (from what I've seen of the videos) and some of the humour, but never really felt the game interested me enough to make me want to buy it.

Sticker Star? I like new characters in my games, I like RPGs with level up systems and I suck horribly at trial and error based 'puzzles'. The minute I heard what the game was like, I pretty much said 'nope, not even gonna attempt this one' and waited for Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon and Mario & Luigi Dream Team instead. I just knew it wasn't going to be a game I'd ever enjoy.
SnackJackSJ

Post by SnackJackSJ »

CM30 wrote:Heck, I still get somewhat depressed when I see the cutscenes during the final battle with that crystal star music...
It just tugs on the heart strings doesn't it?
peace, love, and music
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Depressed? That song fills me with a serene happiness.

How can you be sad when everyone is cheering you (or Luigi) on?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I don't remember if I ever finished TTYD, although it was the first one I played, and I did play a good chunk of it regardless of whether or not I ever finished it.
I've finished both SPM and SS. I actually didn't mind Super Paper Mario. It kinda got irritating how story heavy it was considering the story really wasn't that interesting but I don't know. It was clever and fun.

Sticker Star I didn't like at all. Finishing it felt like a chore. I mean, I'm glad Nintendo is trying out new things but having a finite amount of mundane attacks is just stupid and annoying! Also, sometimes you progress just by doing something really stupid like bringing x sticker to y place because you're just supposed to know to do that. After I finished the game I put it down and never touched it again.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Diggertron wrote:I was very disappointed with Star Sticks, TTYD is beyond godlike, thinking of doing a 10hp run of it after my exams are over.
Why not full-on 5HP Danger Mario run!!
Although that is probably a very dominant 'strategy', so perhaps 10HP would add some challenge instead.

Paper Mario the first was pretty alright, though I don't know how well it still stands up besides "pretty alright". I feel like there's an element of 'blandness' to it with the partners' lack of distinct/interesting personalities and not really doing much with the 'paper' theme besides a handful of visual gags, but yeah, it's alright.

Thousand-Year Door is unsurprisingly my favorite by far; besides some blatant "we're gonna make you go back and forth through the same areas a few times (specifically Chapter 4)", it's just pretty fantastic all-around.

Super Paper Mario is a divisive shift for sure, but I still think it was pretty interesting. I feel like people probably dislike it because they're expecting another JRPG rather than a platformer.
...Also I think people disliking the Pixls for being one-dimensional might be missing the mark, considering them to be 'partners' like the first two games rather than the 'tools' they actually are.

I think I've heard enough about Sticker Star to confidently say that it sounds generally terrible.

...Since Sticker Star seems like such a bomb, I have it in my head that my theoretical Paper Mario fangame idea thinger would go over well if were to ever be made, but the chances of that happening are slim to none, so... yeah. I can still dream.

For what it's worth, I did manage to 100% both Thousand-Year Door and Super, though never the 64 one; most likely because it does nothing to help you track which recipes you've made (only 'how many') and the like.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Post by Lunikyuu »

I would totally want to work on a Paper Mario fangame if it were an actual thing. The Paper Mario series was one of my biggest inspirations for getting into game development.
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

Lunatic Quark wrote:I would totally want to work on a Paper Mario fangame if it were an actual thing. The Paper Mario series was one of my biggest inspirations for getting into game development.
Coming up next: APMT
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

SPM's Pixls were pretty funny (especially the one who was stuck in the toilet without paper... on the moon... for thousands of years... poor guy.)
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
SnackJackSJ

Post by SnackJackSJ »

darkychao wrote:Coming up next: APMT
Now that is an idea that should be pitched. If even virtually possible to pull off.
peace, love, and music
Leeroh Zenon
Zetta Slow!

Post by Leeroh Zenon »

SnackJackSJ wrote:
Now that is an idea that should be pitched. If even virtually possible to pull off.
This sounds absolutely amazing, though quite difficult. It's not impossible but more... unusual.
3DS FC: 2921-9082-9539
LovelyPenguin
Penguinpenguinpen
First name: \(0v0)/
Pronouns: any are fine

Post by LovelyPenguin »

Leeroh Zenon wrote:
SnackJackSJ wrote:
This sounds absolutely amazing, though quite difficult. It's not impossible but more... unusual.
Oh my gosh, we HAVE to do this! Does anyone know if this is techinically possible?
"The penguin is the core of the universe; the penguin is all."
- raocow

Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

You'd have to create the game from the ground up and wherein fangames are concerned you'd have to worry about Nintendo coming along and slapping a C&D on the project.

As well if people would even be able to stick with the project. We've had three failed collabs now. You guys gotta not overestimate what the community is willing to work on.

Short, sweet projects like Superb Demo Sisters work. A full fangame of Paper Mario would be doomed to fail. You only have so many programmers on the Talkhaus, and all of them are busy with their own projects. Docopoper is working on a game, Rena shall soon be working on a game, Alex is busy decompiling, etc. etc.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

It's been done before. Well, people on Mario Fan Games Galaxy have tried it, and I'm pretty sure some Paper Mario fan games exist over there.

You're also not likely to be sued. Seriously. Otherwise Mario Fan Games Galaxy, Fusion Fangaming/Gameworks or SMW Central would be toast by now. You just need make it extremely clear that it's not official, make it so the name isn't a blatant rip off of a Nintendo one/there isn't a rip off domain and that it's not being sold. The demo/ASMT graphics would probably help here too.

But yeah, I doubt it'll be possible to get a collab working on a game like this. Too much work needed, especially given how it's 3D.
LovelyPenguin
Penguinpenguinpen

Post by LovelyPenguin »

Awww. Yeah, I see what ya mean.
- raocow

Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

People were actually serious about making a fangame? That would be nigh impossible with our resources.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

CM30 wrote:It's been done before. Well, people on Mario Fan Games Galaxy have tried it, and I'm pretty sure some Paper Mario fan games exist over there.

You're also not likely to be sued. Seriously. Otherwise Mario Fan Games Galaxy, Fusion Fangaming/Gameworks or SMW Central would be toast by now. You just need make it extremely clear that it's not official, make it so the name isn't a blatant rip off of a Nintendo one/there isn't a rip off domain and that it's not being sold. The demo/ASMT graphics would probably help here too.

But yeah, I doubt it'll be possible to get a collab working on a game like this. Too much work needed, especially given how it's 3D.
Don't be so sure about not getting a cease and desist. I've seen far too many projects recently getting c&d'd, from Hasbro, Sega, and didn't SMBX at one point get a c&d? Or was that a lie? I'm still unclear on the details on that one.

Hacks of course people don't have to worry about, but original games are a tiny bit more risky, especially with the work involved.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Tyrant Bwarch wrote:
CM30 wrote:It's been done before. Well, people on Mario Fan Games Galaxy have tried it, and I'm pretty sure some Paper Mario fan games exist over there.

Don't be so sure about not getting a cease and desist. I've seen far too many projects recently getting c&d'd, from Hasbro, Sega, and didn't SMBX at one point get a c&d? Or was that a lie? I'm still unclear on the details on that one.

Hacks of course people don't have to worry about, but original games are a tiny bit more risky, especially with the work involved.
I hear Super Mario Bros X's cease and desist was because Nintendo wanted the domain name. Yeah, real bright registering 'Super Mario Brothers.org'.

And trust me here, many, many people have attempted Paper Mario fan games. Lack of effort, time or just plain lack of skill killed most of them. I've seen none get shut down via legal notices. People are way too paranoid, because again, these sites I mentioned are a much bigger target than you'll ever be.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Aaaaah, yeah pretty silly mistake there.

Then I suppose in that case there really isn't any cases of Nintendo themselves shutting down any fan projects, which is nice.
LovelyPenguin
Penguinpenguinpen

Post by LovelyPenguin »

Tyrant Bwarch wrote:Aaaaah, yeah pretty silly mistake there.

Then I suppose in that case there really isn't any cases of Nintendo themselves shutting down any fan projects, which is nice.
Yeah, I heard Nintendo doesn't really mind the fan stuff as long as they don't try to monetize it.
- raocow

Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

I always thought that redigit thought that SMBX was finished, and moved on to his next project (in that case it was Terraria).

I usually only believe proven and official news... SMBX got ceased by Nintendo? Show me your decisive evidence, then I'll believe ya.
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

Fluffi-dono wrote:I always thought that redigit thought that SMBX was finished, and moved on to his next project (in that case it was Terraria).

I usually only believe proven and official news... SMBX got ceased by Nintendo? Show me your decisive evidence, then I'll believe ya.
Umm.. I'm pretty sure he stopped work on SMBX before the C&D... just a sec...
Yeah, heres some stuff
MFFG.net wrote:In January 2011, Redigit secretly began work on Terraria[...]Redigit said that SMBX 1.4 would likely not be out for a while, if at all. In April 2011, Redigit officially announced that SMBX was cancelled.

Shortly afterward, Redigit received a call from Nintendo's lawyers with a cease and desist, telling him to take down SMBX (along with all of his YouTube videos) and hand over SuperMarioBrothers.org. Redigit complied with everything except the last condition (and didn't give his website over until sometime in 2012).
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

It's weird that Nintendo even did that...
SnackJackSJ

Post by SnackJackSJ »

Fluffi-dono wrote:It's weird that Nintendo even did that...
As weird as it is I see where Nintendo was coming from. At least we still get to play and appreciate the brilliant engine that it is.
peace, love, and music
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Wait, was anyone actually serious about some kind of A Paper Mario Thing? That's just silly. Although coming up with concepts or ideas for such a thing just for kicks might be fun.

Just to clarify, the 'theoretical Paper Mario fangame idea thinger' of my own that I mentioned is really more just a rough concept; I'm well aware that I'd never actually be able to make such a thing without a full-on game studio at the least.
...Also it's not actually Mario-related so I dunno if anyone here'd actually care anyway??
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.