(shouting)

Probably a Bad Idea

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Kerkec

Probably a Bad Idea

Post by Kerkec »

I probably shouldn't say anything about it so early on, but I also feel like maybe doing so will give me more motivation to actually work on it. My work ethic is so sporadic and I need to do something about it. I've been working on trying to make a decently sized smw hack, if not an entirely full hack, but I'm not very far in. I have 7 levels finished and a few more set up to be worked on, and more than half of that was done in two weeks recently. The rest was done very slowly and randomly over the past year. And for the past week or so I haven't had any motivation to touch it again. I really do enjoy it, but my motivation is just very all-or-nothing with no real pattern. So I can't really promise that it'll ever be fully finished, this is more of an attempt to make me feel obligated to do so.

So far the hack is mostly just customized in terms of music and graphics. There are custom sprites and blocks, but none of what I've made so far relies on them too heavily. And really I would say I'm still a beginner, I have very little understanding of how asm works or anything, I just know how to insert stuff. And even then I feel like there's probably more to inserting stuff than just inserting stuff. Anyway, I don't have a name for it, and I don't have any sort of "plot", it's just mario for the sake of mario. So I don't have too much to say about it, but hey, screenshots
One of the earlier levels, if not the first (haven't decided on that yet, it might be slightly too difficult for first level). Only very slightly changed graphics, might touch it up later.

Cave-type level with graphics I did my best to rip myself (from Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle 3 on the gbc, if you're wondering). One of the levels that doesn't really "exist" yet, but everything is set up to be worked with (so this shot may not be final). That 'W' is a warp block.

Snow level because you gotta have a snow level. Using lots of resources from smwcentral throughout this whole thing, stuff will obviously be properly credited later (assuming this ever sees any kind of release).

Current design of the bonus rooms throughout the game. Those arrow blocks aren't conveyors or anything, despite what it looks like. And yes, I'm very aware that you can glitch here as big mario. Very aware.

Another unfinished area.

And two more actually completed levels. That ship is probably the hardest out of all of them so far, I'll probably need to edit it a bit, it's harder than the level I'm working on for the actual final world right now.
There's a couple more things I have enough of to show off, but I don't want to reveal everything, since it's endgame and postgame stuff.

But yeah, this is just me trying to get myself to keep sticking to this. I personally feel like it's going well, so I don't want to just let it rot.

Is it going as well as I feel it is? Thoughts maybe? Though I guess there's not much to talk about other than graphics at this stage. Still.

I do feel a little bit more motivated to work on it already just by typing all of this up, though, so I guess that is good.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Probably a Bad Idea

Post by Bwarch »

This looks pretty cool ^^ Especially on some of the later screenshots.

It's also gonna be nice to have a solo hack to look forward to as well, we don't have nearly as many of those going on anymore.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

This looks great! The graphics really fit the level.

About "no motivation": If you got some free time, draw some of your level ideas on a piece o' paper. If you feel like creating a level, take the paper and use the ideas in the level. Usually works.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

massive half-a-year bump, but this thing isn't quite dead
in fact, it's been more alive than ever, lately

to summarize, I stopped working for a while, but I've suddenly made 5 levels in the past week, all of worlds 1 and 4 are done (minus 1's end castle, which I'm gonna do now), I have the general layout of the overworld planned, and now that it's come this far, I can actually believe that it can be finished, so I feel no lack of motivation

as for how long that'll last, well... let's just hope it does
I don't feel close to running out of ideas yet, and that's basically why I stopped in the first place

so this is basically just a message to say that this hasn't died off completely
it's still far from finished, though

anyway, have a couple of screenshots of new world 1 stuff to make up for the huge bump
the actual first level of the game (for real this time)

stuff
I don't really have anything else to say except for that I upgraded to AddmusicK and it seems to have made the "no music" option stop rooms from being silent like it used to do? instead it just keeps playing the music from the previous room. so if anyone could tell me how to make rooms silent with this, that'd be great
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

Looks nice. gj
Kerkec wrote:I don't really have anything else to say except for that I upgraded to AddmusicK and it seems to have made the "no music" option stop rooms from being silent like it used to do? instead it just keeps playing the music from the previous room. so if anyone could tell me how to make rooms silent with this, that'd be great
Use a custom music that is empty, something like this:

Code: Select all

#0 q3F t48 w200 y10 l16
r1
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

yogui wrote:Looks nice. gj
Kerkec wrote:I don't really have anything else to say except for that I upgraded to AddmusicK and it seems to have made the "no music" option stop rooms from being silent like it used to do? instead it just keeps playing the music from the previous room. so if anyone could tell me how to make rooms silent with this, that'd be great
Use a custom music that is empty, something like this:

Code: Select all

#0 q3F t48 w200 y10 l16
r1
well, that makes a lot of sense, and thanks for including the code too, because I would've been completely lost otherwise

and thanks, your stuff is pretty great, so I'm glad you like it
I'll keep at it!