(shouting)

Brutal Mario Demo 9.5; Is It Real?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: Brutal Mario Demo 9.5; Is It Real?

Post by Leet »

hey apology how do we know that's actually true i mean

not to be harsh but youve gradually lowered your means of information - first that you were carol, second (on smwcentral) that you knew somebody who knew carol (i dont know if this was proven to be a lie or not), and now that the info is from carol's pms. like, yeah you've done this big apology for all that but youre still giving us info from an official source of sorts, even if youve admitted to each other thing.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
apology

Post by apology »

Leet wrote:hey apology how do we know that's actually true i mean

not to be harsh but youve gradually lowered your means of information - first that you were carol, second (on smwcentral) that you knew somebody who knew carol (i dont know if this was proven to be a lie or not), and now that the info is from carol's pms. like, yeah you've done this big apology for all that but youre still giving us info from an official source of sorts, even if youve admitted to each other thing.
I'm not going by secret sources and shit like that. I read it somewhere, I just forgot where (I think it was an SMW Central thread, though if so it could easily have been a fan theory). Oh yeah, and I did read carol's PMs while in his account, which is where I read him tell someone (roberto zomfdgvdfg i believe?) that Luigi was not the final boss. In fact, I think he included it in that interview he did.
SMCslevelengine
eh

Post by SMCslevelengine »

levelengine on SMWCentral wrote:If this is a joke, then get out. You're taking attention away from people who are actually trying to become known on this site, and who are actually wanting to make good hacks.
Firstly, I am proud that you apologized and didn't run and hide like over 90% of trolls would have done.

Secondly, I think that I may have been a little harsh there myself. Let me explain. This goes into my own psyche and my own way of thinking (which has been gradually more and more pessimistic as I saw the world dematerialize bit by bit), and triggered that part of my ideology that fought in favour of underrated users who wanted to become known on SMW Central. Since being upstaged by several YouTube whores on YouTube, it has affected me in a way that I'll live with the fear that no matter how talented I am, I'll be stuck in the starting gate. Forever. With a bunch of tragic news stories and other shit that made me nervous, I became even more paranoid, constantly thinking about the day greedy corporations might just kill all of us off (and themselves too). Now back on topic, I decided to use the method the average droolie would use to determine popularity, by number of replies / comments. I was upset to see that your werk in prograss, super hard world (your joke hack) was getting double the replies my hack threads (and others by underrated users on SMWC) got on average. Others were upstaged by you, too, though they must not have cared like I did. I was upstaged on SMW Central several times before super hard world, but the key difference that prevented me from wanting to track them down and tell them to GTFO, was that they were talented (which paid them great dividends), and they gained their attention fair and square. I raged and I said to myself: "I'm being upstaged by fuckin' sheep!", knowing that this clearly didn't add up. I apologize for my own misconduct, even if it doesn't seem too extreme. There was an explanation behind it, and I just had to put it out there.

Thirdly, I read your last post in the Gazebo. If you want to be liked, you're in a bad position, because you did stupid shit, and dug yourself a deep hole which you immediately jumped in. But then again, I said that you should start simple if you're going to be serious. I've been hacking SMW for almost 6 years now, and I know nothing of ASM (granted I was being dumb in the first 3 years, but still). The part before I told you to get out had some helpful tips, just in case you needed them. My best advice is to hang around here or Jul (if people still go there nowadays). SMW Central is not likely to be in a forgiving mood, after having problems with other reregs that were nearly synonymous with cockroaches (they couldn't get rid of them). Not much else I can do, since I'm not in your sort of deep hole. All I can say is good luck. You'll need every last bit of it. Feel free to ask for help. Or just use Google.
more often known as levelengine
apology

Post by apology »

I'd say my best shot at being accepted would be to show off my coding abilities. I've only been at this for a month, but I've coded near perfect replicas of a bunch of different DKC2 sprites including a Kleever battle as a work in progress. Though I suppose I should keep that to myself until I have enough to actually show instead of talk about.
apology

Post by apology »

alex2 wrote:Can we keep his fake carol bullshit in his fake carol thread
I do not understand.

I'm carol
Leet

Post by Leet »

you mean his apology thread that got locked after you and others turned it into the trading-insults thread? :|
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
apology

Post by apology »

Leet wrote:you mean his apology thread that got locked after you and others turned it into the trading-insults thread? :|
We need a Roberto zampari thread more anyways tbh
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

apology wrote:which is where I read him tell someone (roberto zomfdgvdfg i believe?) that Luigi was not the final boss.
It's probably Peach gone god-mode somehow

There's a text message in the hack that goes
"Congratulations Mario, but if you want my hand in marriage you must kill your brother"
or some stupid poop like that

It could also be some JRPG cameo of sorts
CM30 wrote:On another note, this has to make people wonder what the hell Luigi's World is actually going to consist of in the final game.

Is it gonna be traditional Mario style castle levels/dark world areas?

Something based on some RPG like Romancing Saga or perhaps Chrono Trigger? It's probably not Seiken Densetsu 3 given how the three 'final' stages (Mirage Palace, Dark Castle and Dragon's Hole) were already basically remade.

It could also be Donkey Kong Country themed when I think about it. K Rool's Castle tileset would go nicely for a final world.
The level that had the Peach, Poochy, Parry and Goddess sprites, plus the Goku and Frieza portraits had Dracula X graphics

Does that mean anything???
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
apology

Post by apology »

I've actually been thinking about using the cheap demo, data.zip, and my own coding abilities to turn Brutal Mario into a full game. I know Roberto did it some time ago, but he did it pretty badly (for example, Bowser's Castle ends with a Boom Boom fight...yes, you heard that right), and his "new" levels for the Special World and Luigi World are just horrible clashing tilesets with abnormally "normal" level designs.
Leet

Post by Leet »

In my opinion, I think you should try and make your own, small thing with your coding skills. Since carol apparently would still like to finish his game someday, I don't think it's right to try and fan-finish it at the moment.
apology

Post by apology »

Leet wrote:In my opinion, I think you should try and make your own, small thing with your coding skills. Since carol apparently would still like to finish his game someday, I don't think it's right to try and fan-finish it at the moment.
Honestly, I do want to make my own hack. But also honestly, I'm a mess with level design. I've read a bunch of tutorials, but I honestly cannot make an interesting level. Though I suppose I could make a Mario Fantasy/Mario LD type hack which is basically ASM showcasing.
Leet

Post by Leet »

So you're basically Western!carol
apology

Post by apology »

Leet wrote:So you're basically Western!carol
In a way, I suppose. I don't consider carol to be a bad level designer, it seems to be his millions of pieces of custom GFX that would make any level hard to build. The Dark Castle stage for example, has like millions of pieces required to build the stage, which is basically why most of the level is running across a long room and flying over a long fire.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

apology wrote:
Leet wrote:So you're basically Western!carol
In a way, I suppose. I don't consider carol to be a bad level designer, it seems to be his millions of pieces of custom GFX that would make any level hard to build. The Dark Castle stage for example, has like millions of pieces required to build the stage, which is basically why most of the level is running across a long room and flying over a long fire.
To be fair, the Dark Castle tiles aren't that hard to build a level with; carol just makes one little mistake:

He tries to reuse the same three or four pages of map16 for every level in the game. As a result, he has to spend hours going through pages manually pasting down different tiles rather than just building levels in bulk by point and click stuff.

Seriously, I ripped both the Dark Castle and Mirage Palace tilesets for myself (and others), and both are far easier to make a good level with than carol's versions.

If you want really hard gfx sets to use, try Wario Land 4's tiles, especially those from more 'natural' looking levels.

http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/GBA/WarioLand4- ... icLake.png

http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/GBA/WarioLand4- ... Jungle.png

I've ripped the tiles from the former. It's taken about an hour or two to just assemble two screens worth of level.

I'm still working on getting tiles from the second. Unfortunately, that'll mean both hellish construction and having to manually edit rain out the tiles because no one bothered to rip a sprite sheet.

And then there are tiles from Donkey Kong Country. Or Kirby Super Star. Those are a right pain to build any level with.
Icelink256

Post by Icelink256 »

Wario Land 4?! O_o
I thought that tileset was easy to work with!
That is... assuming you work in 32x32 blocks at a time.

Or am I thinking of something else that I was ripping tiles from out of boredom? Hmm... I don't remember.
:catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2:
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Icelink256 wrote:Wario Land 4?! O_o
I thought that tileset was easy to work with!
That is... assuming you work in 32x32 blocks at a time.

Or am I thinking of something else that I was ripping tiles from out of boredom? Hmm... I don't remember.
Depends on the level. The Sapphire and Topaz Passages are mostly easy to work with, because the tiles are generally square. Same with the Ruby Passage for the most part.

The Emerald Passage however, is extremely annoying to rip, because the tiles don't have any clear 'start' and 'end' points. And the collisions are quite a bit off compared to Super Mario World.

The game in general also causes you issues with palette and tile space issues, since the backgrounds often use 400+ tiles, the foregrounds use at least two or three pages of EXGFX files and the palettes... well, use more colours than Super Mario World can often cope with.

Seiken Densetsu 3 on the other hand, varies. The exterior areas are annoying to rip, because like in most RPGs, the overworld is mostly made up of diagonal lines, curves, etc and is just annoying to fit into a grid. So this:

http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/Seiken ... eavens.png

Would be hell to rip and reassemble. I remember someone did it though.

On the other hand, the interior areas (Dark Castle, Mirage Palace, dungeons, etc) are actually fairly simple to turn into a tileset. Why? Because they use very few colours (about 64 at the most from what I remember) and fit perfectly into a 16 x 16/32 x 32 etc grid. It's just that carol completely screwed up the map16 for many of his levels in an attempt to avoid using extra pages, so instead of being able to mass select tiles and paste them down quickly, he has to assemble them one by one.

http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/Seiken ... Castle.png

Above: Actually quite easy to get tilesets from. I personally have ripped every single foreground and background in this level.

Of course, if you want truly annoying, this tileset was definitely it:

Tiles from the Minish Cap's overworld. Take up every possible ExGFX slot, every possible palette and took about six hours to assemble.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Since this thread is about Brootul Murrio and stuff um

I have a .txt file with a list of games that Carol took stuff from and what he took from them, if anyone wants it I can upload it

The only things I'm missing are the following:
The jellyfish graphic from Deep Sea Investigation (the one with the cycling palette, not the Jelectros)
The train sprites from Night Galaxy Train
The aurora background from Snow Star and Athletic Special
The graphics of the World 9 submap (except for K. Rool's Keep, the SMB3 skulls and the Spade Gates)

I also included some stuff I found in addmusic and data.zip in case Carol may use stuff from there, and I removed stuff Carol either confirmed or is likely to remove/replace (every Koopaling boss except Roy and Ludwig, Giant Kirby, Wall Face, possibly the Sun level from World 5 and the Bramble level from the Star World)
CM30 wrote:Tiles from the Minish Cap's overworld. Take up every possible ExGFX slot, every possible palette and took about six hours to assemble.
Oh my lawds
Image Image
CM30

Post by CM30 »

KobaBeach wrote:Since this thread is about Brootul Murrio and stuff um

I have a .txt file with a list of games that Carol took stuff from and what he took from them, if anyone wants it I can upload it

The only things I'm missing are the following:
The jellyfish graphic from Deep Sea Investigation (the one with the cycling palette, not the Jelectros)
The train sprites from Night Galaxy Train
The aurora background from Snow Star and Athletic Special
The graphics of the World 9 submap (except for K. Rool's Keep, the SMB3 skulls and the Spade Gates)

I also included some stuff I found in addmusic and data.zip in case Carol may use stuff from there, and I removed stuff Carol either confirmed or is likely to remove/replace (every Koopaling boss except Roy and Ludwig, Giant Kirby, Wall Face, possibly the Sun level from World 5 and the Bramble level from the Star World)
CM30 wrote:Tiles from the Minish Cap's overworld. Take up every possible ExGFX slot, every possible palette and took about six hours to assemble.
Oh my lawds
I'm pretty sure the world 9 submap tiles come from Romancing Saga 3. You can see it in this final boss video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPyWxYLr5Y0

The aurora BG is a mystery (if it's the one from the level with Santa and the likes). I've wondered about it myself.

Don't remember any level with unknown jellyfish sprites though.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I was referring to the ones in Deep Sea Adventure (the water stage with the limited visibility)

And yes, that's the aurora BG. At first I thought it may be from something like Demon's Crest or those three Mickey Mouse games on the SNES and GBA (and also MD in the second game's case) that Capcom made, but alas...

Thanks for the help with the World 9 submap tiles' source.

I also found 8-bit Mega Man sprites in the "Kichiku Ou Mario" (Brutal King Mario) stage in World 9 (the MM3 capsule room stage).
Might have something to do with the final boss?

Here's the txt file though in case anyone's curious about anything (sometimes I get bored and I like writing weird poop in notepad):
EDIT: Please see page 3.
Last edited by KobaBeach 10 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
Image Image
CM30

Post by CM30 »

KobaBeach wrote:I was referring to the ones in Deep Sea Adventure (the water stage with the limited visibility)

And yes, that's the aurora BG. At first I thought it may be from something like Demon's Crest or those three Mickey Mouse games on the SNES and GBA (and also MD in the second game's case) that Capcom made, but alas...

Thanks for the help with the World 9 submap tiles' source.

I also found 8-bit Mega Man sprites in the "Kichiku Ou Mario" (Brutal King Mario) stage in World 9 (the MM3 capsule room stage).
Might have something to do with the final boss?

Here's the txt file though in case anyone's curious about anything (sometimes I get bored and I like writing weird poop in notepad):
a.rar
Never mind, found the water level in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJHajkos7RM

Nope, no idea where they're from.
apology

Post by apology »

Perhaps if you want to find the background, I suggest taking an emulator photo of the BG (turn off all other layers), uploading it, and drag and drop it onto Google Imagea search, potentially finding a match.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

apology wrote:Perhaps if you want to find the background, I suggest taking an emulator photo of the BG (turn off all other layers), uploading it, and drag and drop it onto Google Imagea search, potentially finding a match.
I already tried that and nothing. Oh well.

Fun fact: Google's Reverse Image Search was how I discovered the source of the dragon in Bowser's Castle (it's Divinegon from the SNES remake of Dragon Quest III/Dragon Warrior III).

(also I updated the list, I accidentally mixed up Meta Knight's theme from KSS with Aboard the Halberd, and I forgot about the Fountain of Dreams sprite in Wendy the Gal/Wendy the Girl, my apologies!)
Image Image
CM30

Post by CM30 »

You know, perhaps someone should just ask carol what the background's from. That might finally clear this issue up.

Maybe I will.
Icelink256

Post by Icelink256 »

Isn't that aurora background from Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventure?
:catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2:
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Icelink256 wrote:Isn't that aurora background from Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventure?
Not as far as I know. Just quickly flicked through a full game playthrough video of it, nothing like said background appears in said game.