(shouting)

Mighty No. 9 [TALKHAUSTROPHE REPOST]

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: Mighty No. 9 [TALKHAUSTROPHE REPOST]

Post by ano0maly »

I'm surprised this thread only has two three pages.

I want Mighty Gunvolt on PC too...
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Man, this game's getting pretty huge if they're making retail editions for all the home consoles! I sure hope all the extra time gets used well.

As for Ray being the third player character, I wonder if she'll be much stronger and more ruthless befitting a pseud-organic vampire?
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

So I guess this is tangentially related; 10 years after Mega Man Anniversary Collection is released, they're redoing it but worse because there's less games. Good job Capcom.

This could have at least been exciting if they had Mega Man 9 and 10 on it. But they don't even have that!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

The least that they could have done was add some of the spin-off titles.

I know that it might be a coding nightmare to do so, but this really does seem to be an inferior re-release without them unless the challenges are incredibly substantial.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Ashan wrote:So I guess this is tangentially related; 10 years after Mega Man Anniversary Collection is released, they're redoing it but worse because there's less games. Good job Capcom.

This could have at least been exciting if they had Mega Man 9 and 10 on it. But they don't even have that!
it'll be on steam so actually, its already better

i do want them to add 7-10 tho, and possibly & Bass? i mean... they should go all out with their being complete about this! o:
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Leet wrote:it'll be on steam so actually, its already better

i do want them to add 7-10 tho, and possibly & Bass? i mean... they should go all out with their being complete about this! o:
I can already play Mega Man 1-8 and & Bass on my PC though... So...
If anything I think having it on 3DS will be a bigger deal cause you have it on the go.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

A part of me is happy since they are supposedly adding some content along with just doing a ROM dump here, but at the same time, no Wii U is a head-scratching decision. I'll go 3DS on this pending they don't can it like Namco did with the Pac-Man collection a while back.

I do think it's funny that the 2004 Anniversary Collection had 1-8 (although a terrible sound FX port of 8) and the two fighting games on one disc for just a little more than the price of this. Eh, I don't know. If this is to gauge interest in the franchise, it had better actually have some effort put into those extras.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Bean wrote:A part of me is happy since they are supposedly adding some content along with just doing a ROM dump here, but at the same time, no Wii U is a head-scratching decision. I'll go 3DS on this pending they don't can it like Namco did with the Pac-Man collection a while back.

I do think it's funny that the 2004 Anniversary Collection had 1-8 (although a terrible sound FX port of 8) and the two fighting games on one disc for just a little more than the price of this. Eh, I don't know. If this is to gauge interest in the franchise, it had better actually have some effort put into those extras.
While I can't say how good Challenge Mode will be...

It can't possibly have been that hard to do the concept art stuff.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Bean wrote:If this is to gauge interest in the franchise
I really hope that's not the case, cause I feel there are a lot of Mega Man fans that won't buy this cause... Well, they already bought a better version of it 10 years ago.
And then Capcom will think "oh, I guess people just don't like Mega Man any more!"
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

So, roller coaster of crap going down lately.

Delayed to 2016, then not I guess and it's still coming out next month?
It would be nice if Comcept would make a public statement but I guess they're too busy trying to get more money before their current project is even done.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

There was a statement on their forums on July 22nd that said it was still coming out in September. We'll see, I suppose.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I guess this is the best thread for this, but I just got the email that Red Ash wasn't funded.
I'm still not quite sure what was going on with that? They made an announcement that some Chinese company was going to pay for a bunch of it? Did that happen?

Regardless, I can't say I feel bad for them. Their first game isn't even released yet, and it's not like a lot of the backers are happy with how the Mighty No 9 project went but they're already expecting people to trust them on another project with nothing to show but some concept artwork. They need to prove they can make good games first, then maybe release a prototype or SOMETHING for a new one before asking for more money. I mean, they supposedly did release a "prototype" for Red Ash, but it was a complete joke. They imported some models ripped from Mighty No 9 into Unity, mapped some controls and called it a "prototype". It could have honestly been a joke and you wouldn't know the difference.

Can't say I'm impressed with Comcept so far.

edit: alright, so apparently FUZE is just paying to fund the whole game and they had switched it out so if the Kickstarter got funded, it would go towards stretch goals. Regardless this whole situation is pretty stupid.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

The Red Ash thing is hilarious. Not just because it appears to have failed, but because I called it happening when Mighty No 9 was first announced way back when, and I feel totally vindicated in my distrust for Inafune.

See, Mega Man is easy money. It really is. It may never be a HUGE franchise again, but it can always pull in some dough.

Mega Man Legends is a garbage dump for money. It's inherently more expensive to make then the MM9/10 style cash-in games or even the more impressive MMZ/ZX games. Capcom dug deep and gave it a sequel (and a spin-off) but the stupid thing never took off like it's sister series did. So they dumped it.

Infaune REALLY likes Legends because Legends is the closest thing the MM franchise has to a stereotypical Japanese adventure series. Inafune (honestly) believes Legends could have been successful if he had more time/money/marketing/insert excuse here. Legends 3 was his chance to continue making "anime" games (the marketing focused on a random new protagonist, not even MM). I assume someone in Capcom dropped the axe (wisely) and MML3 was either cancelled (or was on its way to being canceled). So Inafune picks up his ball and leaves.

Then Mighty No 9 happens. Inafune knows damn well that Capcom was right in its thinking (that is, MM = money, MML = no money). So Mighty No 9 is born as a beck and call to fans of the MM franchise. "Come everyone! See, mean old Capcom hates MM. But I love him! I want to continue making those awesome 2D platform/shoot-em-ups you crave! GIVE ME YOUR MONEY!" Had he tried this with Red Ash, the whole thing would have failed spectacularly, and Inafune knew that.

The direction they have taken Mighty No 9 suggests that a cartoon has always been Inafune's end game. The push for voice actors and constant chatter in the levels is likely born by Inafune's desire to backdoor Mighty No 9 as a TV show. But it won't be the show he wanted to make. It won't be the adventure anime saga he's desperate to have his name attached to.

Thus, Red Ash is born. THIS is his baby. This is Legends 3. This is the game he threw a hissy fit over at Capcom for and quit his cushy job to make. This is what he wants. This is why he gave the fans Mighty No 9. "You fans can have one, now I get one."

Except Inafune doesn't get one. The fans don't want one. The fans don't want to be jerked around by an ego-driven anime fanboy. And I'm loving every moment of it. Mind you, I fully expect Red Ash to happen. He'll find a way. He's passionate about getting Legends 3 made, no matter what its called or what medium it takes the form of. But for now, I revel in his defeat, and hope the people who truly do love Mega Man (like Inti Creates) manage to salvage Mighty No 9 and turn the game into a worthy successor for the Blue Bomber.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

This video sums up the Red Ash trainwreck pretty well

Like... It's pretty disgusting that they are pleading for the fans' help and money when in the end they clearly have the means to get some shady Chinese companies to not only fund their games, but also develop them for them

The actual quality of MN9 when it comes out will probably make or break Inafune's reputation after all of this crap. How little he has left anyway.

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

WestonSmith wrote:See, Mega Man is easy money. It really is. It may never be a HUGE franchise again, but it can always pull in some dough.

Mega Man Legends is a garbage dump for money. It's inherently more expensive to make then the MM9/10 style cash-in games or even the more impressive MMZ/ZX games. Capcom dug deep and gave it a sequel (and a spin-off) but the stupid thing never took off like it's sister series did. So they dumped it.
Nope. Mega Man's not proving to be easy money in the last decade, but rather, a waste of money. Off the top of my head, these are the games that either failed to meet expectations or just flat-out bombed:

-Every Battle Network title after 4
-Star Force series
-Powered Up
-Maverick Hunter X
-ZX & ZX Advent
-Mega Man 10 when compared to Mega Man 9
-Archie's Mega Man comic, which is officially going on hiatus after issue #55. In spite of its quality, it's selling less than Sonic Universe does.

I keep saying this, but I really do think that Inafune and his staff were the only ones keeping it around when Capcom was probably going to cut the series in the late 90s. Battle Network was basically what saved it because had that have bombed in the early going, that would've been a lot of money down the drain.

I think the telling thing is when Mega Man 9 came out and there was all this hype, but by the time Mega Man 10 came out a year and a half later, that hype was gone. The return of classic Mega Man didn't even carry from one game to the next. Personally, I find 10 to be the better of the two since it offered more to start out and relied less on "Gotcha!" moments, but I'm in the minority on that one. Either way, when you can't get enough people to buy a $10 digital game, let alone a fully-priced retail one, it's not exactly inspiring hope in the franchise.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Bean wrote:
WestonSmith wrote:See, Mega Man is easy money. It really is. It may never be a HUGE franchise again, but it can always pull in some dough.

Nope. Mega Man's not proving to be easy money in the last decade, but rather, a waste of money. Off the top of my head, these are the games that either failed to meet expectations or just flat-out bombed:

-Every Battle Network title after 4
-Star Force series
-Powered Up
-Maverick Hunter X
-ZX & ZX Advent
-Mega Man 10 when compared to Mega Man 9
-Archie's Mega Man comic, which is officially going on hiatus after issue #55. In spite of its quality, it's selling less than Sonic Universe does.

I keep saying this, but I really do think that Inafune and his staff were the only ones keeping it around when Capcom was probably going to cut the series in the late 90s. Battle Network was basically what saved it because had that have bombed in the early going, that would've been a lot of money down the drain.

I think the telling thing is when Mega Man 9 came out and there was all this hype, but by the time Mega Man 10 came out a year and a half later, that hype was gone. The return of classic Mega Man didn't even carry from one game to the next. Personally, I find 10 to be the better of the two since it offered more to start out and relied less on "Gotcha!" moments, but I'm in the minority on that one. Either way, when you can't get enough people to buy a $10 digital game, let alone a fully-priced retail one, it's not exactly inspiring hope in the franchise.
Two things worth noting:

(1) The above series did all fail, yes. This is an issue of quality. Fans were willing to go gaga over a return to form for the franchise. MM9 generated interest. Mighty No 9 generated interest. The quality just wasn't there. At this point, the good will may very well be gone.

(2) I find it telling that, with the exception of MM10 (and the comics, which I can't speak on) that all of the failures stem back to series with increasingly anime influences. Powered Up had kawai chibi nonsense all over it. Maverick Hunter had a mini-anime-movie attached to it. The ZX series was a super-sentai series with unappealing lead designs. Star Force and the BN series were both text-heavy anime games. MM10's failure likely had more to do with the obvious cash-in nature of the game then anything else (though the poor quality of MM9 wouldn't have helped).

I maintain that MM SHOULD be easy money, and it certainly has been in the past. I think the basic tenants of the MM franchise can still print profits, even if the series good name has been sullied beyond recognition. Mighty No 9 is a good indication of this, at least before the wheels started to fall off and what was really happening became apparent.

But yes, my wording was terrible and you may be correct in saying that MM the brand is largely dead to both fans and Capcom alike.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I know it's likely very armchair-CEO-that-probably-doesn't-know-what-he's-talking-about of me to say this but I still would like if Nintendo just bought the Mega Man IP. I'm sure some would argue against it cause Nintendo really likes to cash in on sequels and remakes, but at least they make money and they're generally pretty good. I'd trust them to do stuff with Mega Man and not screw it up at the very least compared to Capcom which I'm not quite sure if they remember Mega Man exists at this point.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Now it's been officially delayed until the nebulous Q1 2016 period due to the online component being too buggy at this point in time. The main game is supposedly finished. It's literally just the online features. Go figure.

On the positive side, I now only have to see around another half year's worth of that one "business man" tweet taken completely out of context from a developer whose games don't sell anyway even though I buy most of them. Hooray.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Bean wrote:Now it's been officially delayed until the nebulous Q1 2016 period due to the online component being too buggy at this point in time. The main game is supposedly finished. It's literally just the online features. Go figure.
Yeah, I got the email about that this morning. GREAT
Bean wrote:On the positive side, I now only have to see around another half year's worth of that one "business man" tweet taken completely out of context from a developer whose games don't sell anyway even though I buy most of them. Hooray.
I'm not sure what this is referring to
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah. That's the one, all right!
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Not so fast!
Just when you thought the money begging was done, they're asking for funding again, this time it's further funding for the anime, via a Kickstarter clone(?) nobody has ever heard of that can't even spell "supporters" right
http://www.fun-and.studio4c.jp/index.ph ... red_ash_en
Solaris
flowercuco
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by Solaris »

i think thats like, that studios own personal crowdfunding website for their studio which is... interesting as a concept i guess, and it makes sense in so far as like, being able to raise more money outside of the usual kickstarter stuff now that they Made it, but it is a bit weird that it like, has that time limit stuff given that like, the Slacker Backer stuff for some other kickstarters went on for like, a year or so?

like additional crowdfunding for ppl who were late to the show or whatever isnt, abnormal, but them setting up a whole website and also not hiring a good translator for it is... weird

i dont think its the worst thing about this whole situation given that its the anime people

edit yeah uh like
http://www.fun-and.studio4c.jp/index.ph ... mode=guide
makes me think more like, "this is a patreon we are setting up for our animation company, on our own website"

/(=✪ x ✪=)\
FancyFancy

Post by FancyFancy »

All backers to Mighty No. 9 will get a code for a trial version that contains 4 levels and will be playable from September 15th for one month, as the latest Kickstarter update reports.

No mention of how you will be able to play it.
FILMED IN
ImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I would guess that would be PC-only for those that did back it. And I'll mention it again in here since it's out today and Mega Man related that Azure Striker Gunvolt is releasing on Steam today with some added content.