(shouting)

Mighty No. 9 [TALKHAUSTROPHE REPOST]

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Bean
Yep.

Re: Mighty No. 9 [TALKHAUSTROPHE REPOST]

Post by Bean »

I had a feeling it was that or Parks & Recreation, but thank you for solving that mystery for me.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

...Honestly, after having actually seen MN9 game in action? It's not bad. More than anything, it just looks... average. There are flaws here and there and everywhere - flaws which, given the kickstarter and the endless delays, really have no excuse to exist - but it doesn't look unfun. Do some stages look unfun? Yeah. Some bosses, too. But the game looks fairly enjoyable overall. Heck, if it goes on sale for about $10 or $15, I'd buy it and give it a whirl.

Been a little conflicted about saying this since it received such a brutal backlash, but... yeah, it's a decent enough game. It's just not as good as it should be.
I don't really get it but okay
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Never mind. I just straight up bought it for the PS4 since we have one of those here now. I'll try it out either tonight or tomorrow. Somehow, I don't think this impulse buy is going to be as good as last year's Dragon Quest V (DS) online purchase.
ACesspoolofHatred
What vision is this? What happens to the world?!

Post by ACesspoolofHatred »

$286

$286 to the campaign

for a Wii U code

uuuuurrrrrrrgh :(
I have no social media presence, my only purpose here is to dismay and terrify you all, and I hope to continue to do so - Me, on one of Duvi0's Drawful streams
Y'know, Cesspool, that is, like, honestly... That was what I expected from you, and y'know what? That's my favorite thing that anyone does, specifically. Cesspool I adore you. - Duvi0 that same stream
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I'm so sorry for anyone that donated more than the $30 I paid for the physical copy of the thing. You all did get shafted.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

What happened? Are backers not getting physical copies any more?
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

ACesspoolofHatred wrote:$286

$286 to the campaign

for a Wii U code

Why would you donate that much to a Kickstarter for God's sake!???
ACesspoolofHatred

Mata Hari wrote:
ACesspoolofHatred wrote:$286

$286 to the campaign

for a Wii U code

Why would you donate that much to a Kickstarter for God's sake!???
dreams

dreams and hubris
I have no social media presence, my only purpose here is to dismay and terrify you all, and I hope to continue to do so - Me, on one of Duvi0's Drawful streams
Y'know, Cesspool, that is, like, honestly... That was what I expected from you, and y'know what? That's my favorite thing that anyone does, specifically. Cesspool I adore you. - Duvi0 that same stream
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Well, I just faced Cryosphere. I want ten minutes of my Mega Man playing life back. Decent boss, but I was awful at it.
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

Bean wrote:Well, I just faced Cryosphere. I want ten minutes of my Mega Man playing life back. Decent boss, but I was awful at it.
Really? out of all of them Cryo is the worst, literally all of her attacks are freeze stun and you have to button mash every time you get hit, its obnoxious. Bosses in this game are actually fun, i just wish the absorption wasn't a thing.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

See, I like the absorption thing for the combos. If you can avoid taking out an enemy that you know you won't get an 100% on, you can keep your combo going. You just lose out on a few points is all. It's an interesting deal. I'm trying to play it like a combo of Mega Man X and Gunvolt even though it isn't better than either.
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

Bean wrote:See, I like the absorption thing for the combos. If you can avoid taking out an enemy that you know you won't get an 100% on, you can keep your combo going. You just lose out on a few points is all. It's an interesting deal. I'm trying to play it like a combo of Mega Man X and Gunvolt even though it isn't better than either.
I mean the bosses. the enemies arent really an issue since im going to be dashing all the time anyway, and i wouldnt mind the bosses doing it if they didnt regenerate thier health if I miss a dash and they fly/teleport away *shakes fist at avi*
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Ashan wrote:What happened? Are backers not getting physical copies any more?
Nobody's answered this still.
What's this about paying $250+ and only getting a code? Did they decide to not give out physical copies to backers who paid for it?
ACesspoolofHatred

Ashan wrote:
Ashan wrote:What happened? Are backers not getting physical copies any more?
Nobody's answered this still.
What's this about paying $250+ and only getting a code? Did they decide to not give out physical copies to backers who paid for it?
Got screwed there too.
Swindlers and Thieves wrote:Q: Can I upgrade my Kickstarter pledge to the recently-announced physical version?

A: The new physical retail version is manufactured and distributed by Deep Silver, and is separate from the disc, USB add-ons and other rewards offered during the original Kickstarter campaign. Therefore, the retail version is not applicable towards redemption of Kickstarter backer rewards.

Q: That’s not fair, I backed at the ____ level to get a USB/disc/etc. because there wasn’t a physical version! You should let me change/update my pledge!

A: While we love that you’re excited from Deep Silver’s retail release of Mighty No. 9, the aforementioned separation between Kickstarter and retail versions currently makes this impossible: As of now, the process involves two different manufacturers (Fangamer and Deep Silver) and multiple distributors (Humble Bundle, and Deep Silver’s regional distributors) for the Kickstarter and retail versions of the game. That’s why making this change would not as simple as upgrading your pledge. That being said, rest assured that your feedback has been heard and passed on to the appropriate channels.
EDIT: Note that I may be reading this wrong
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

dont remember about the higher teirs, but there was an additional funding option of buying a 30 dollar usb stick shaped like an nes or famicom cartridge that also contained the game. I've not heard a thing about it since despite ordering one myself .
FancyFancy

Post by FancyFancy »

I'm supposed to be getting a physical copy myself in retro packaging but its still not here. I've asked around on another forum I go to and no-one has answered whether they got any of the physical rewards.
FILMED IN
ImageImage
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

How young and optimistic we were

This was the video of gameplay at the time. Much nicer looking than the final release.

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

That's what developing a game for a six-platform simultaneous launch with a decent amount of content will get you!
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Well I finally finished this game. I rented and played the Wii U version.

Is it just this version? This game's frame-rate is horrible! it seems like the game poorly optimized. In the training levels with no backgrounds the game runs reasonably well. But if you use the crash-bomb power the game chokes up in most areas, doesn't help that this weapon is a basically this game's metal-blade too.
Since I'm on the topic of functionality. Did anyone else notice that the Final boss and the turrets on the Helicopter in Avi's level have this really janky, awful, animation (like someone put in some place-holder key-frames but forgot to add in the animations to connect them?)
Game is also really visually inconsistent too. Avi's level is really ugly.

Overall I think the game is decent. But I think the level design is pretty mediocre. Rather than letting you use Beck's strong mobility in more open maybe branching levels, you are usually confined to enemy filled halls and tight platforming challenges. Mighty Number 7's level stood out to me as an interesting departure from typical Megaman levels but it's a bit too long, it has instant-kill lightning wire traps, and if you die in stage, no checkpoint.
The level design reminds me alot of Megaman X6. And that is NOT a good thing. In this game most of the major hurdles are abundant instant kill spikes. The other major hurdle is the needle thin jumps, usually put right at the end of the stage.

One particular problem that bothered me was that the game would put 2 enemies one in front of the other. making it difficult to dash-absorb the first one without getting hit by the second.
The bosses seemed a little bit too tanky for my tastes and I would've liked to have break-points on their healthbar to prompt you to absorb.

The dash-absorb power-ups are also pretty out of whack. The speed-up power can sneak up on you and cause you to overshoot your movement. The pierce-shots are actually a damage loss if you can hammer the button fast enough. It also felt really random as to when you got an E-tank, and if you die you lose it.

One particular thing that bothered me. In this game, it felt like every time I trusted my instincts or muscle memory it betrayed me. This is the only Megaman game where you can't switch weapons in the pause menu! And it seemed like it was really clunky to fumble through your power-ups in 1 direction and then hit another button to switch a form so that you could use it. (What was wrong with L/R weapons switching) At the same time, unlike other Megaman games where you'd want to switch out of an empty weapon, You should run around with the empty weapon because of the passive regeneration, passive regeneration which doesn't work if you unequip the weapon. (please correct me if I'm being stupid and couldn't figure out how to switch in the pause menu)

Notably I found 2 significant bugs.
1) if you stand on the far left side of ice blocks on cyro's level it will make a bunch of landing noises as you float in midair.
2.) if you press the "Switch forms button." on Avi's stage while riding the helicopter robot into the background (after you beat the mini-boss) you will switch forms and softlock the game falling into an infinite void below the level.

By the time I tuned out the chatterbox NPCs one of them said "Look out!" and I got killed by an instant kill falling pillar. Game sure did love blathering alot. Not sure I deserved that one.
For a game that I think really wanted to start it's own series and had the high aspirations to be the new megaman series. It sure is really hard and rough for any newcomer.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

The Wii U version is notorious for being one of the worst platforms for this engine. Unreal 3 was never optimized for the Wii U. It still has hiccups and one instance of chug if you use a certain weapon near the end of the game on the PS4 and PC, but it definitely runs better on those platforms.

The game does rely way too much on instant kill stuff, and I don't mean in a "Gotcha!" way like Mega Man 9 either. It's literally designed to take you down with traps like those pillars in 1's stage, turbines in 3's, and wires in 8's. Even some bosses have insta-kill attacks that are not always easy to avoid. It can be really annoying. Weapon switching was definitely on the dumb side, and I made sure to map my controls around to get a better setup going.

Like I said somewhere before, this game reminds me more of X5-X7 and that Gamecube Battle Network game in its level design, and that's not a good thing. There's some good to be had here, but Gunvolt does what this game tried to do better.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Bean wrote:The Wii U version is notorious for being one of the worst platforms for this engine. Unreal 3 was never optimized for the Wii U.
Thanks for the info regarding that the Wii U version is the worst. I tried asking on discord about the frame-rate issues on discord and it turned out that no one actually had played the game.

Because if you use "that certain weapon." in almost any part of the game on the Wii U the frame-rate dips to unplayable levels.

Just overall, they decided to change specific things in the megaman formula, that were gold standards for no reason at all and just made it really clunky.
Overall It's pretty apt to say that most of the things that this game tries to do striker gunvolt does better. To me this game felt really rushed. Which is weird cause it was delayed.

Also is it just me? the music seems pretty meh? and is just this bland synth.
At the same time. The script is pretty awful, they got some big-wig VAs, but all the dialogue is super redundant and not informative or interesting.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Music's got some high spots, but yeah, it's not the best soundtrack in the world... and that's even when you can hear it as the audio balancing made it way quiet for some reason. Rather hear that than Beck's repetitive lines, that's for sure.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

And this is why I got the game in a $5 Humble Bundle.
These people do not deserve money.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... in_general
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I was reading the comments below that article and it's interesting that someone there believed that Capcom actually fired Inafune.

I also wonder if someday a competent group would get the rights to revive this franchise with a better product so that the concept doesn't get wasted.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

ano0maly wrote: 6 years ago I was reading the comments below that article and it's interesting that someone there believed that Capcom actually fired Inafune.

I also wonder if someday a competent group would get the rights to revive this franchise with a better product so that the concept doesn't get wasted.
Mighty Gunvolt Burst by Inti Creates was pretty dang good, but I get what you're saying.