(shouting)

Starbound

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: Starbound

Post by Alice »

Starbound sucks because it took more than six seconds to download.
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

If I had a computer that could play it, I'd probably play it.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Alice wrote:Starbound sucks because it took more than six seconds to download.
Okay what the hell. I was going to at least get a character made before going to bed but it has been stuck at 100% downloaded for 7 minutes now.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Looks boring

Alice

Post by Alice »

STARBOUND wrote:Steam is probably taxed pretty hard right now. Starbound's server crashed when the beta opened ~3 hours ago.
It was rather odd though, it hit 100% and just sat there for ten minutes before it finally finished. Definitely not disappointed with the game so far. Meant to only play 20 minutes or so before going to sleep and played double that without even realizing it.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

I don't know what Starbound is. It kind of looks like Space Terraria: The RPG or something I guess? It costs money though so I won't be playing it for a long time.
That penguin is cute though.
I don't really get it but okay
Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

i wanna play this SOOOO BAD but my mom will most likely object to it
spatula
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Ah now that I know it's basically terraria I don't care for the game. Thanks for showing me that.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

no thanks ill stick to Risk of Rain

(til i get money)
Image Image
Alice

Post by Alice »

Pholtos wrote:Ah now that I know it's basically terraria I don't care for the game. Thanks for showing me that.
It feels a bit different than Terraria. It doesn't feel quite as grindy and it feels like the devs were actually competent too. There's less of a focus on mining than in Terraria and in fact the basic mining tool can mine up to four blocks at once. (With each block potentially giving up to two blocks itself too since ores can spawn in stone/dirt blocks.) Though if you didn't like Terraria then there's a fair chance you won't like it either since they are reasonably similar.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Huh, neat! Last I heard about Starbound was like a year ago when they abandoned Terraria. It looks pretty neat!

I'm kind of surprised the same team is able to balance updating Terraria while working on the Starbound beta while also developing Terraria 2.

Starbound is on my wishlist; I'll probably wait 'til the Christmas sale and see if it gets discounted
Alice

Post by Alice »

Frozelar wrote:I'm kind of surprised the same team is able to balance updating Terraria while working on the Starbound beta while also developing Terraria 2.
It's not at all the same team. The only person who worked on Terraria that worked on Starbound is Tiy who did sprites for Terraria. I'm not sure why everyone seems to think they're the same people.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Well, there's a difference between "abandoning" and "unreasonably abandoning," which in this case was the former
Alice wrote:
Frozelar wrote:I'm kind of surprised the same team is able to balance updating Terraria while working on the Starbound beta while also developing Terraria 2.
It's not at all the same team. The only person who worked on Terraria that worked on Starbound is Tiy who did sprites for Terraria. I'm not sure why everyone seems to think they're the same people.
Oh, huh, really? I thought it was just like a couple of people.
I guess I was way off
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

alex2 wrote:Just show her this and she's bow down to your every whim.
All that does is make me want to play more Terraria. It doesn't look as good as Terraria.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Alice

Post by Alice »

The game is fun so far. Though there's some things that feel a bit unbalanced at the moment and they need to flesh out the beginning of the game to clear things up. A few things such as figuring out how to refuel my ship or repair my pickaxe took me awhile to figure out and boss summon tokens really need to make it more clear what they do considering the amount of resources they require.

They should also add in some sort of intro quest to get you on the right track for advancing and the first boss needs to be changed up a bit. If you don't reach it with something like a doublejump tech or (if it's even possible) a gun it's really hard to actually win. I had to take it down using a standard hunting bow and when it tried to slam down on top of me a reasonably powerful spear I had. And this took nearly a full in-game day and a good 40-50 bandages to accomplish.

Edit: Oh right, that's what I was forgetting when I posted this. The heat gauge (which has been changed now actually) was confusingly marked playing as a floran. Made me think that it was a lack of sunlight killing me and not me freezing to death.
Frozelar wrote:Oh, huh, really? I thought it was just like a couple of people.
I guess I was way off
I'm really not sure why but this is an absurdly common misconception for some reason.
kilon

Post by kilon »

Two days ago it wasn't on the piratebay or kat yet. Therefore I'm not interested yet.
kilon

Post by kilon »

It is now, so I am interested for the next 15 minutes, probably. After that I get bored, possibly.
Alice

Post by Alice »

I'm stuck near the end of the second tier. I have great weapons that can kill the toughest enemies (excluding bosses and minibosses) in a max of 3-4 hits but I can't find any armor to stop me being killed in one hit by anything above level 16 or 17.
Fireyblaze

Post by Fireyblaze »

So, I bought Starbound, but I'm not gonna play this game without other people. Do you guys have a server going? I assume that it would be hosted by peeps on the IRC if there is one.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

IRC peeps are playing it on their own from what I can tell, no server going.
Alice

Post by Alice »

I haven't played it since this last patch but it was fairly absurd in the first place. The fact it flies too high to easily even hit is a major factor in its difficulty. Do remember though (or if you didn't know just let me point out) that the UFO is likely to be a later boss in the game eventually.

And up until this patch the second boss was even worse. Without exploiting the fact that you could block it in so it couldn't move or attack but you could attack through the blocks it was basically impossible because you couldn't boost your armor high enough to not die in a single hit.
Alice

Post by Alice »

For a beta it's easily the best game released this year that I've played.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I just got this, so I'm just figuring things out. The controls seem awkward, but it's god so far otherwise. I'm still in the early stages, so I'm eager for things to ramp up.
Alice

Post by Alice »

For the most part the controls are the same as they are in Terraria. They really do need to get around to adding the control config menu though. I think it's one of those fairly low priority things though.

Also the third boss is absurd at the moment. I had the second best armor I could have before facing it (though at the time I thought it was the best) and one of its attacks still was able to one shot me. I had to make a bunker with a small hole in the top and kill it 8 damage at a time with a crappy tier 2 gun.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Are they doing the (hopefully) final character wipe soon? I'll be slightly annoyed if that's soon actually. I finally reached X sector and was starting on building a laboratory for an insane floran scientist.