(shouting)

Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U: NO ITEMS, FINAL DES--PRESENTATION!

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Ignoritus
O◡O
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U: CLOUD...CLOUDS IN!

Post by Ignoritus »

pholtos wrote:Honestly if Isaac doesn't get in I'm gonna be shocked.
if Isaac DOES get in I'd be shocked.

I don't think the majority of Smash players (ie casual players) have any idea who Isaac is. Golden Sun's not exactly an obscure franchise, but it's dying and never had the iconism of plenty of other games out there. Even if he has niche popularity in the smash community, I genuinely doubt that was enough to boost him in the ballot, nor do I think he would provide the monetary returns Nintendo want.

I really don't think the smash ballot is going to be K. Rool or anything like that that all of the smash fans think are a "shoe-in" because they're the most popular in the smash fanbase. You have to remember that this poll was advertised directly by Nintendo on an official direct as well as their official site for smash, meaning it's going to reach the less devoted fans unlike the past fanmade polls.

Ninja Bomberman confirmed.
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

I always dream of Klonoa getting in, but I know it ain't gonna happen.

Realistically Ima hope for another Sonic character, mainly Tails or Knuckles...oh no.

Who has the most?
HamsterZerg
True Pacifist or bust.
Location: Oh, don't mind me. I'm just contacting you from the distant past. Carry on.

Post by HamsterZerg »

Katazuki wrote:I always dream of Klonoa getting in, but I know it ain't gonna happen.

Realistically Ima hope for another Sonic character, mainly Tails or Knuckles...oh no.
Classic Sonic?

Avatar by Skully (artwork) and bkamakaze (size). Thanks, guys!
Soma Cruz, Linkara, and Olimar for SMBX 2.0

Game King-style Story Briefs, a forum game by me
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

Jesuiscontent wrote:Any of these two would be a lot more interesting than goddamned cloud
salt is real

I like Cloud. His moveset looks like something I always wanted to have in a fighting game.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

The issue with Cloud is he seems so out of left field he's out of the ballpark. Beyond that, he's from the most overrated final fantasy (don't argue me on this) and I'd think someone from a nintendo final fantasy would make more sense, simply because the game was actually on a nintendo console.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Regardless of what anyone else feels, I'm super-hyped for Cloud. I'm not even a huge FF7 fan (I've never played past the first disc, and that was quite a long time ago), but when he was revealed I was literally screaming with excitement/disbelief. He looks like a lot of fun, and I look forward to playing the heck out of him (just hope that he'll have an English voiceover >_> ). Midgar looks like a fun stage too.

Obviously I'm hyped for this presentation too, but I really don't know what to expect... (Wolf or riot) Though I'm glad that the presentation is in the evening rather than during the day, so I don't need to be wondering about it all day at work.

Was there ever a discussion on who peeps here voted for in the ballot?
My top wishes are Simon Belmont (Castlevania), Krystal (Starfox), Rayman, Wolf (he was not a Fox clone and was one of my favorites in Brawl), and Bomberman. I don't think any of these would be too much of a stretch to fit in Smash (though perhaps Simon seems iffy because... Konami).

Past those, my "dream choices (that probably have no chance)" include Shanoa (Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia), Mii Mage/Wizard (hard to tell if they could actually add a new Mii Fighter type, but I really want this because there are a lot of 'magic' characters I'd like to use but can't because they don't fit in one of the existing three types), Serperior (Pokemon), Geno (Mario RPG), Marina Liteyears (Mischief Makers), and Red Savarin (Solatorobo: Red the Hunter). I think they all could have potential, but they're probably too obscure/unlikely to make it.

...As if that weren't enough, there are a few I had on my ideas list that I didn't submit, because I ran out of time (I seriously kept forgetting to submit any at all until like September >_< ) and/or wasn't as interested in them;
Isaac (Golden Sun)- I also find it odd that he disappeared in the transition between Brawl and 4, and I think he could be a unique character if they focused more on using Psynergy/Djinn rather than sword/weapon things, but at the same time I've come to dislike Golden Sun and would be okay with it not getting more representation?
Lloyd/Colette/Regal (Tales of Symphonia)- I REALLY want Tales representation (Symphonia especially, since it was on the Gamecube and I love it to bits), but admittedly Lloyd and Regal (he's only here because he's my favorite <3 ) wouldn't be very unique (and putting the Lloyd costume on a Mii Swordfighter with Blade Flurry (Sword Rain), Airborne Assault (Tempest), Stone Scabbard (Tiger Blade), and Power Thrust (Sonic Thrust), with a Beam Sword for good measure, already makes a pretty good Lloyd); Colette on the other hand is one of the most important protagonists and had a unique/unconventional fighting style, so maybe I should've given her a vote anyway?
Reyn (Xenoblade Chronicles)- Probably wouldn't get a second Xenoblade character, but Reyn could probably be an interesting defensive-themed character (and he is the second character in the party as well)? Though perhaps I'd rather see him as an assist trophy, doing something like charging forward with his weapon like a battering ram before using Sword Drive to launch people.
Bandanna Dee (Kirby)- Spear-based fighting hasn't appeared yet, but he may not be considered important enough.
Phoenix Wright- He was already in Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3, so I'm not sure if he could make an appearance (plus there's already two Capcom characters)...
Paper Mario/Wolf Link- While they might be upsetting for being "another Mario/Link", they're definitely different enough from their vanilla counterparts to be their own unique characters.

Besides characters, hopefully we'll get some new features as well...
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

pholtos wrote:The issue with Cloud is he seems so out of left field he's out of the ballpark. Beyond that, he's from the most overrated final fantasy (don't argue me on this) and I'd think someone from a nintendo final fantasy would make more sense, simply because the game was actually on a nintendo console.
Technically, 7 was supposed to be a Nintendo game, but the whole cartridges vs. discs thing made Square lean toward Sony instead. So now he's where he rightfully belongs.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)

Post by Dizzybelle »

no matter what happens, everyone is going to get irrationally upset
like, they could add the entire smash ballot and people would still be mad
ill honestly be happy regardless of what happens, this is all just icing on an already delicious cake
the smash community is full of whiny babies and i cant wait to see the world go down in flames
ImageImageImage
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

bkamakaze wrote:the smash community is full of whiny babies and i cant wait to see the world go down in flames
heck that's going to be one of the best parts of this announcement
all the salt
all of it

i'm going to ask my friend to send me some screenshots from his private competitive smash group because there's sure to be gold in there.

as for "dream requests", one that should have been in brawl (because of timing) but has no reason to ever be in smash 4 because sega will never (and should never) do much to revisit it, butitwouldbe a great fighting game character nonetheless is the werehog from sonic unleashed. yeah, the night stages of unleashed were basically a god of war clone, but dang it the potential moveset would be interesting

also inklings

[ispoiler]also sash lilac[/ispoiler]
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

The salt's going to be a great part of the announcement for sure. That, and the silly jokes that inevitably follow. I'm personally hoping for K.Rool to be the second character, but I won't be crying if he doesn't.

If he does get in, though...

The salt jokes will write themselves. That'll be glorious.

I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I don't blame you guys for not having an opinion about a game you don't actually play but please respect those who do nyoro~n

Also at this point I'm really expecting one of the 3 latest PM characters, most likely Isaac. It's just too much to be a coincidence.

TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Jesuiscontent wrote:Also at this point I'm really expecting one of the 3 latest PM characters, most likely Isaac. It's just too much to be a coincidence.
*crying intensifies*
But seriously, If Isaac makes it in, I'm definitely going to be playing a heck of a lot more for at least a while.
SL the Pyro

Post by SL the Pyro »

There's going to be lots of whining for days to come after the Direct, I can assure you. The salt is going to make a nice topping for my popcorn.

As for my expectations, I can't really predict any new characters anymore since Cloud's reveal, but I'm 90% sure there's going to be news on the ballot. There has to be, because they wouldn't just throw ballot news into a random Nintendo Direct and steal the show from everything else they're trying to promote. Shit's going to go down on the 15th and I can't wait.
pholtos wrote:The issue with Cloud is he seems so out of left field he's out of the ballpark. Beyond that, he's from the most overrated final fantasy (don't argue me on this) and I'd think someone from a nintendo final fantasy would make more sense, simply because the game was actually on a nintendo console.
I suspect having Cloud in place of another Final Fantasy character was more Squeenix's meddling than Nintendo's. FFVII is overhyped, certainly, but that doesn't change the fact that the 3D leap for its time contributed to making Cloud the character people think of when they think of Final Fantasy. Coupled with the remake making him relevant again, Cloud was probably the logical choice for Final Fantasy on the roster.

That and Cloud in Smash has been a fanbase in-joke since Melee and Sakurai probably wanted to capitalize on that.
SL the Pyro

Post by SL the Pyro »

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/13/sakurai-fe25/

Interview with Sakurai about Fire Emblem characters, and his opinions on what decides characters joining the roster. Relevance at the time of decision seems to play a bigger part than I thought.

Also eyesight problems, oh no :(
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

That was a very good read. That explains why Smash Roy and FE6 Roy are so different.

Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

It's clear Sakurai makes decisions based on his love of the series involved... Ness getting into Smash has to be an interesting story, too.

So this is the (nearly) final wave of DLC for Smash, then... I can say that I've been mostly satisfied by the outcome.
Vision problems are never too good...
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
SL the Pyro

Post by SL the Pyro »

Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
SL the Pyro

Post by SL the Pyro »

BIG FUCKING WARNING LABEL

The update got pushed to the Nintendo servers but hasn't been released yet, but some dataminers apparently got the update early the same way they did for the Roy and Ryu update. If you don't want to be spoiled before the Direct, now's the time to stop snooping around.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

SL the Pyro wrote:BIG FUCKING WARNING LABEL
The update got pushed to the Nintendo servers but hasn't been released yet, but some dataminers apparently got the update early the same way they did for the Roy and Ryu update. If you don't want to be spoiled before the Direct, now's the time to stop snooping around.
ok but if i want to get spoiled where do i look
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
SL the Pyro

Post by SL the Pyro »

Ivy wrote:
SL the Pyro wrote:BIG FUCKING WARNING LABEL
ok but if i want to get spoiled where do i look
Twitter or /vg/ (which is also watching Twitter). The leaks are even being done by the same guy (NWPlayer123 "Nikki") who did the Roy/Ryu leak, so it's actually a reliable source.
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Eh, it's one more day at this point. I can wait.

Who has the most?
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

Nikki has gone though the updates and
cloud is released tomorrow alongside midgar, there is no other character data,

direct tomorrow will likely reveal more.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

i saw this and honestly thought it was legit for a second.

the only thing that would make it more believable is if it were another GLA.

freakin product placement everywhere, i wouldn't be surprised if they did do it somewhere in smash anyway.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Whimsical Calamari wrote:i saw this and honestly thought it was legit for a second.

the only thing that would make it more believable is if it were another GLA.

freakin product placement everywhere, i wouldn't be surprised if they did do it somewhere in smash anyway.
New main acquired.