(shouting)

Pokémon

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
metasomnia?
butts

Re: Pokémon

Post by metasomnia? »

Normal types do it better.
Ghost types do it second better.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

LovelyPenguin wrote:
Ivy wrote:I was rather disappointed when I realized that Serperior wasn't Grass/Dragon. Wasted opportunity, that.
And how! I realllly didn't like the Unova starters. I mean, what were they thinking?!

Ah, well, there's always the chance they'll do Mega Serperior, who could be Grass/Dragon.
I definitely want a Pokémon x4 weak to Ice
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Post by Lunikyuu »

My top 3 favorite types are Ghost, Fairy, and Psychic, though if I had to pick one, it would probably be Ghost since it has the highest percentage of pokemon that I like.
Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Dizzybelle »

Steel, Fairy and Grass would be my three.
With my favourite Pokemon being Slurpuff, Forretress, Regice and Vileplume.
ImageImageImage
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Top 10 favorite Pokémons:
10.Meloetta My favorite legendary since Gen 5 came out. Before that, it was Jirachi
9.Sigilyph Cosmic Power & Stored Power. 'nuff said
8.Vulpix ( & Ninetales) Blame Explorers of Sky for stabbing me right in the feels
7.Manectric It become a triangle when it Megavolves
6.Porygon-Z You spin me right round baby right round when you tri-attack baby round right round
5.Tropius Look at it and tell me it's not awesome
4.Lilligant Dance! Dance! The Petal Dance~ is gonna wreck. your. day. I also look rea~lly cool
3.Leaveanny It looks freaking rad. I also had good moments with those during my nuzlockes
2.Gardevoir Come on it's Gardevoir
1.Mienshao 2 words: Regenerator U-Turn. Also he's pretty awesome looking
SS.Milotic
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Clemasterable wrote:
LovelyPenguin wrote: Ah, well, there's always the chance they'll do Mega Serperior, who could be Grass/Dragon.
There are already a ton of 'em. Garchomp, Gliscor, Dragonite, I could go on.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Ivy wrote:
Clemasterable wrote:
LovelyPenguin wrote: Ah, well, there's always the chance they'll do Mega Serperior, who could be Grass/Dragon.
There are already a ton of 'em. Garchomp, Gliscor, Dragonite, I could go on.
And that's why I don't want another one. Ice after all is totally not one of the primary attacking types in competitive battling.
july
七月
First name: e!ɡa
Pronouns: she/her

Post by july »

I like Zebstrika, because hell yeah electric zebra

Lilligant, Absol and Delphox are pretty cool too. As for favourite types, probably psychic, fire and grass.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

I liek mudkipz.

And electro type.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Bug type is best type, I always make sure to use at least one in every game if I can help it.
Also Shedinja is best Bug.
LovelyPenguin
Penguinpenguinpen
First name: \(0v0)/
Pronouns: any are fine

Post by LovelyPenguin »

Clemasterable wrote: And that's why I don't want another one. Ice after all is totally not one of the primary attacking types in competitive battling.
But not everyone does competitive battling. And people like some pokemon just for the new and interesting type combos.

Ug, double weaknesses in general are a stupid concept. To have a pokemon with "one hit from even the weakest move of this type is an auto-kill" is plain stupid. It doesn't even make that much sense realistically if you think about it: so, you have a pokemon that's half bug and half steel. Since both are weak to fire, it makes sense that it's double weak to fire, right? Wrong, because just mashing both fire weaknesses together would be assuming it was both 100% bug and 100% steel, instead of half-and-half.

If they're gonna have weaknesses layer like that, they could at least make it a bit more fair, say 2.5x or at most 3x super effective, instead of the 4x overkill weakness they get.

>.>; In general, the whole element system in Pokemon is flawed, but then again, what's new?
"The penguin is the core of the universe; the penguin is all."
- raocow

HamsterZerg
True Pacifist or bust.
Location: Oh, don't mind me. I'm just contacting you from the distant past. Carry on.

Post by HamsterZerg »

LovelyPenguin wrote:
Clemasterable wrote: And that's why I don't want another one. Ice after all is totally not one of the primary attacking types in competitive battling.
But not everyone does competitive battling. And people like some pokemon just for the new and interesting type combos.

Ug, double weaknesses in general are a stupid concept. To have a pokemon with "one hit from even the weakest move of this type is an auto-kill" is plain stupid. It doesn't even make that much sense realistically if you think about it: so, you have a pokemon that's half bug and half steel. Since both are weak to fire, it makes sense that it's double weak to fire, right? Wrong, because just mashing both fire weaknesses together would be assuming it was both 100% bug and 100% steel, instead of half-and-half.

If they're gonna have weaknesses layer like that, they could at least make it a bit more fair, say 2.5x or at most 3x super effective, instead of the 4x overkill weakness they get.

>.>; In general, the whole element system in Pokemon is flawed, but then again, what's new?
I'm afraid I'm going to have to teach you... *dramatic zoom-in* math. *Scare Chord*

In all seriousness, though, Pokemon uses a lot of math.

Take a Pokemon like Garchomp, for instance. It's a Dragon-and-Ground-type, so it has a double weakness to Ice, instead of the quad weakness Mr. Chugga Arznesoth Conroy thinks it is. A weakness held by any Pokemon with only one type is always calculated as doing double damage if the attacker doesn't benefit from Same Type Attack Bonus. Therefore, if a Pokemon like Dunsparce uses an Ice-type move on Garchomp, it will be calculated as doing four times the regular damage, seeing as double of double is quadruple. However, if a Pokemon like Lapras, as in, an Ice-type, uses an Ice-type move on Garchomp, then the Garchomp will take 6x damage, on account of STAB.

Now, let's take a look at Craily. Both Rock and Grass have five weaknesses each, so Cradily would have ten weaknesses, right?

*insert memetic Lex Luthor line here*

Cradily only has four. Grass cancels out Rock's weaknesses to Water, Grass, and Ground, while Rock cancels out Grass's weaknesses to Flying, Fire, and Poison. Therefore, each of these types would only deal normal damage, as 2 x 0.5 = 1.

Now, let's look at Skarmory. As a Steel-and-Flying type, it has a double resistance to Grass. And since any Pokemon with only one type will always have its resistances calculated as doing half damage, and half of one half is one quarter, Skarmory would only take quarter damage from a Grass-type attack, unless said attack was used by a Grass-type, in which case STAB would multiply the damage output by 1.5, meaning the multiplier would then calculate the damage dealt as 3/8 the normal amount.

So as you can see, if only factoring in the type of attack and the type of target, Pokemon works entirely on powers of two.

EDIT: Immunities are the exception to the above statement, as zero is not a power of any positive integer.

Avatar by Skully (artwork) and bkamakaze (size). Thanks, guys!
Soma Cruz, Linkara, and Olimar for SMBX 2.0

Game King-style Story Briefs, a forum game by me
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

Thanks for explaining.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
ultratowel112
Pronouns: He/him

Post by ultratowel112 »

HamsterZerg wrote:
LovelyPenguin wrote:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to teach you... *dramatic zoom-in* math. *Scare Chord*

In all seriousness, though, Pokemon uses a lot of math.

Take a Pokemon like Garchomp, for instance. It's a Dragon-and-Ground-type, so it has a double weakness to Ice, instead of the quad weakness Mr. Chugga Arznesoth Conroy thinks it is. A weakness held by any Pokemon with only one type is always calculated as doing double damage if the attacker doesn't benefit from Same Type Attack Bonus. Therefore, if a Pokemon like Dunsparce uses an Ice-type move on Garchomp, it will be calculated as doing four times the regular damage, seeing as double of double is quadruple. However, if a Pokemon like Lapras, as in, an Ice-type, uses an Ice-type move on Garchomp, then the Garchomp will take 6x damage, on account of STAB.

Now, let's take a look at Craily. Both Rock and Grass have five weaknesses each, so Cradily would have ten weaknesses, right?

*insert memetic Lex Luthor line here*

Cradily only has four. Grass cancels out Rock's weaknesses to Water, Grass, and Ground, while Rock cancels out Grass's weaknesses to Flying, Fire, and Poison. Therefore, each of these types would only deal normal damage, as 2 x 0.5 = 1.

Now, let's look at Skarmory. As a Steel-and-Flying type, it has a double resistance to Grass. And since any Pokemon with only one type will always have its resistances calculated as doing half damage, and half of one half is one quarter, Skarmory would only take quarter damage from a Grass-type attack, unless said attack was used by a Grass-type, in which case STAB would multiply the damage output by 1.5, meaning the multiplier would then calculate the damage dealt as 3/8 the normal amount.

So as you can see, if only factoring in the type of attack and the type of target, Pokemon works entirely on powers of two.

EDIT: Immunities are the exception to the above statement, as zero is not a power of any positive integer.
And? Penguin was saying that instead of a 4x (non-stab) weakness multiplier, it should only be a 3x or 2.5x.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

I can't believe there are Gen 3 remakes a mere year after X/Y. It's like, woah okay

Don't plan to play it myself, but yeah.

If Scolipede isn't my FAVORITE Pokemon, he's definitely still at in the Top 10 or so. LOOK AT THIS GUY HE'S A NINE-FOOT-TALL CENTIPEDE AND DOESN'T GIVE A CRAP
If Pokemon were real I'd just ride one around everywhere aaaaaaaaaa
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
HamsterZerg
True Pacifist or bust.
Location: Oh, don't mind me. I'm just contacting you from the distant past. Carry on.

Post by HamsterZerg »

swirlybomb wrote:I can't believe there are Gen 3 remakes a mere year after X/Y. It's like, woah okay

If Scolipede isn't my FAVORITE Pokemon, he's definitely still at in the Top 10 or so. LOOK AT THIS GUY HE'S A NINE-FOOT-TALL CENTIPEDE AND DOESN'T GIVE A CRAP

Dialga says hi.

Avatar by Skully (artwork) and bkamakaze (size). Thanks, guys!
Soma Cruz, Linkara, and Olimar for SMBX 2.0

Game King-style Story Briefs, a forum game by me
Bryux

Post by Bryux »

HamsterZerg wrote:
swirlybomb wrote:I can't believe there are Gen 3 remakes a mere year after X/Y. It's like, woah okay

Dialga says hi.
Erm... That's machinedramon, not dialga.

Well, I suppose machinedramon IS a metal dragon but details.
woawoawoah someone spoilered the obligatory signaturtle
I settled with good old Kaguya
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

Bryux wrote:Erm... That's machinedramon, not dialga.

Well, I suppose machinedramon IS a metal dragon but details.
[yt_time time=11]JySVy8AkmAY[/yt_time]
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

X and Y were only about a year after B2W2, too (seriously, the release dates were off by like 5 days in the US.) The gaps between releases are getting shorter, it seems. I'm not personally too happy with this, as it leaves little incentive to actually play a given game for long. What's the point of training stuff in X and Y when ORAS will be out within the year? Not that there was much to replay in XY regardless.

Now, maybe we as a thread can move on to the actually important Pokemon news. They're selling toys at McDonalds, and I went today just to get some. Got me a Pancham and a Fletchling card. It's just about worth the price of slowly killing yourself with chicken nuggets. =D
Leeroh Zenon
Zetta Slow!

Post by Leeroh Zenon »

My favorite types:
Steel (I did a mono-steel run of Black 2. It was good.)
Ghost
Ice
Water
Fairy
...but my favorite pokemon is none of those types.
(Shaymeen)
3DS FC: 2921-9082-9539
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

My fave type is
Water

Psychic is cool too I guess
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
LovelyPenguin
Penguinpenguinpen
First name: \(0v0)/
Pronouns: any are fine

Post by LovelyPenguin »

Who here has any shiny pokemon? I kinda have an obsession with shinies. >.<; I dunno, they're just so cool and rare. Kinda like swag for your pokemon. XD
"The penguin is the core of the universe; the penguin is all."
- raocow

Bryux

Post by Bryux »

LovelyPenguin wrote:Who here has any shiny pokemon? I kinda have an obsession with shinies. >.<; I dunno, they're just so cool and rare. Kinda like swag for your pokemon. XD
I have a shiny poliwag which I randomly found in the wild and a shiny eevee which I somehow got from wonder trades, oh yeah and that shiny gyarados.
woawoawoah someone spoilered the obligatory signaturtle
I settled with good old Kaguya
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

LovelyPenguin wrote:Who here has any shiny pokemon? I kinda have an obsession with shinies. >.<; I dunno, they're just so cool and rare. Kinda like swag for your pokemon. XD
Currently a shiny Gothorita (now Gothitelle), Electrode, and Gyarados, although for me a shiny Gyarados isn't something to really gloat about since there's always one to catch in HGSS, even though mine one was from a Friend Safari. Still, a shiny mega pokemon is certainly something.

This is far less than how many my younger brother has.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

Currently in X I have two shinies.
This pretty guy I found in a friend safari and posted about it previously in this thread. I use it sometimes on battlespot with a quick claw because he has a quiet nature (but 31 speed IV :/).
And a shiny Durant I found in horde battle, but it has pretty bad nature/stats so it stays in my box.

I also have shinies I got from wondertrad/trading but they are probably cloned, plus they don't have my trainer ID so I don't care about them.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]