(shouting)

How About Them Etrian Odyssies?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
paste

Re: How About Them Etrian Odyssies?

Post by paste »

I played EO1 a while back (when it first came out), but things have delayed me in starting a new one. Gonna try out EO2 when bartle finishes 1. i like the games when i'm in a grindy mood, but the art style bothers me. i wonder when atlus is gonna go the next step and just have babies in diapers saving the world.
Love, paste
BARF!
Yonowaaru

Post by Yonowaaru »

Woah, you got to stratum 5 in two weeks? Dang, I'm only up to 3 after that much time.
The bloodants are kind of annoying because the foes keep joining in in the lower left of B12, so quickly that I can't even end the battle and run out of PP even though my alchemist has cocytus and 10 TP skill points. Time to rethink my strategy. Or just give up on not using TP items and use my amritas.
GENERATION 25: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
lukaramu
not lukaramu
First name: not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

I ordered EO1 now, gotta arrive 2nd or 3rd April because of easter...

You guys (and gal) made me expect a good game, so I hope it can hold up that expectation!
lukaramu
not lukaramu
First name: not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

EO1 arrived yesterday and I'm having alot of fun!

At the moment I only do physical damage which kinda worries me, so I might change something up later. I have Protector, Dark Hunter, Landsknecht in the front row and Survivalist and Medic in the back row, but I might later (when I unlock it) exchange the Dark Hunter with a Hexer later, the class seems pretty interesting from what I've heard.
I got to the first room in B3F, and although I already beat B2F FOEs without anyone dying, I'm kinda afraid of the FOE in that room, so I'm trying to avoid it as good as I can. Let's see what it holds!
Yonowaaru

Post by Yonowaaru »

Wait, you were in stratum 5 with under level 50? I'm at floor 18 with all 50 or higher.
Guess that means I'm overleveled. I tried the Golem at 44 or something, but I ran out of TP and stuff so I lost in the end. Guess I'll try again.

(Also, is the Ice Spine Coguatl's (Or whatever it's name is, the second stratum 3 boss)) secret drop? Because it gave me access to a bow which is like 114.000 while I only have 70...)
GENERATION 25: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
cramps-man

Post by cramps-man »

Pretty fun series for me. Excited for Etrian Odyssey 5 now that they've said it's in the final stages of development. Currently playing through Untold 1 in story mode, while waitin' for Untold 2 (damn PAL region!).
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

cramps-man wrote:Etrian Odyssey 5
This can't come soon enough. Kind of tired of being disappointed by the remakes

Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory

Post by Juanbro »

Jesuiscontent wrote:
cramps-man wrote:Etrian Odyssey 5
This can't come soon enough. Kind of tired of being disappointed by the remakes
I think the remakes are meant to attract potential new fans, and for those who can't get enough of Etrian Odyssey. But yeah, a brand new game wouldn't be bad...in fact, I can't wait to see what new things ATLUS will implement.

And, by the way, since just now I noticed this topic, I will leave my current team of the only Etrian game I have:

- Etrian Odyssey IV
Front Row:
- Fortress/Dancer: It may sound dumb, but adding evasion to the chance to completely block attacks makes him so good to endure some punishment, and it can serve to put some ailments/bind healing dances when he isn't needed for anything else)
- Bushi/Nightseeker (actually it's Kibagami): Dual weapons makes him a powerhouse, and gets to recover so many HP and MP in basic attacks. Follow Trace helps a lot when using the head binding attack (a chance to use said attack again means higher chances to get the bind working)
- Nightseeker/Arcanist: Really helpful to deal with the annoying monsters in the 6th labyrinth, specially those horrible Muskoids...if you can't bind their head or kill them with magic quickly...they are the worst. The damage isn't as good as the Bushi, but deals a good punch.

Back Row:
- Runemaster/Imperial: The obligatory elemental damager. Imperial subclass just adds to the already high elemental damage the runemaster can do, and getting some TP back helps for long periods of dungeon craweling.
- Landsknetch/Medic: This one...I wasn't so sure about this one when it was suggested to me, but now I know why it was suggested. The Vanguard skill of the Lands, added to the Mastery skill, and then a Star Drop from the Medic makes way for amazing powerful strikes from the Bushi, Nightseeker and Runemaster (yeah, I don't know why, but after the Star Drop, my Runemaster spells are more powerful).

Before getting to the second floor of the 6th labyrinth, I had a Nightseeker/Bushi in place of Nightseeker/Arcanist. It was for the same reasons I had a Bushi/Nightseeker, but N/B relied more in doing damage via ailments, and not via raw power. I re-replaced N/B with the Nightseeker/Arcanist (I had him in my starting team, and created N/B at the 4th laberynth) when pure raw power started to make enemies like the muskoids more dangerous, and when they were really durable and damaging.
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

I really need to get back to EO4 one day.
I lost a couple times to the Hollow Queen, and then picked up SMT DS Overclocked or something and didn't touch it for a while.
Then I went back and beat her... and Persona Q came out or something.
KinuNishimura
Pronouns: she/her

Post by KinuNishimura »

Persona Q is insanely garbo and nobody should play it.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Oh man, Etrian Oddysey. I just picked up EOU2 for Christmas currently dithering through story mode Just made it to floor 15 . I finished EO1 (the very first one) a while ago.

I finished EO1 with a team of level 70

Front Line
Sword Landsknecht:Sieg
Medic: Louis
Sword Dark Hunter:Dirk (I think? don't remember)

Back Line
Alchemist: Hilda
Survivalist: Fletch

With Protector Braun: as a newcomer to replace the Dark Hunter for dragon and

Primordial Evil

hunting.
Special Thanks to Bessy,John, and Tim, survivalists who gave up their adventuring life for mining the

Drywall

of Stratum 5 funding the overly expensive equipment the A-Team wanted.

My team report.
My overall strategy for the game was, sustained offense. Sieg and Hilda were so powerful together it made me wonder if I even needed most of the team. Sieg was a champ, He needed healing support but he could take hits and efficiently deal with enemies using Tornado, or his elemental combo-attacks.
Dirk the dark hunter would use drain sword if he was hurt, and paralyze sword to remove enemy turns, he wasn't the top damage dealer, he usually never needed any special attention due to his health sustain,
I always kinda regretted never replacing him with a second landsknecht, but he was fast and didn't need extra healing.
Louis mostly clubbed monsters into the ground on the frontlines, but when big encounters came around he usually spammed healing salves the entire time.
Fletch was the high damage dealer from the back-line and his support skills were useful for dodging enemy attacks and avoiding enemy attacks.
Hilda struggled to keep up with the rest of the group. Her elemental attacks were very valuable and her synergy with Sieg propped her up, but when she had to conserve her TP she was very weak, at the same time her spells were quite slow, her inferno spell would always go after all the enemies had attacked.

Braun was needed to fight the dragons and the bonus boss, and after a long training montage in the nightmarish stratum 6 he conducted, lightning, doused flame, and weathered winter with his shield. Without him we would've been dragon fodder.

I didn't find floor 26/27 that bad.[ispoiler]I figured out that the FOE's only stood on correct spaces and then I used one of my chump survivalists to use Owl-Eye to scout the routes of the FOES. Still requiring the use of a specific skill to pass something is dumb. now floor 29 was traumatizing...the moment I found out that the game had a limited number of memos...I was infuriated, baffled, and fed up. It wasn't that I was having trouble with Stratum 6 after all the Alchemist/Landsknecht could wipe out every combination of enemies in a single turn. I felt like I was cheated, like that I was told to take a test and the joke was that there was no ink in the pen. I tried to get creative with my lines but yeah, that floor was made to sell strategy guides.[/ispoiler]

In EOU2 the story mode team, (which you can change anyone's class to any other class at the cost of 5 levels) is Fafnir Knight, Soveriegn (a renamed prince/princess), Protector, Survivalist and War Magus.

The Sovereign is kinda like a heavily armored troubadour, they can wield a variety of weapons (whips,swords, and maces) and their primary skills involve buffing and dispelling buffs/debuffs.

The Fafnir Knight is the OP Plot powered class. The Fafnir knight is similar to the Ronin wielding Katanas and swords, but no stances, weaker AoE and a focus on force boost mode. In Etrain Odyssey 2 the force gauge lets you go into a 3-turn power up state, what kind of power up you get depends on the class. The Fafnir Knight focuses on this power up state and he ends up being a better damage dealer than the entire starting party combined...but I think that is mainly because the party they give to players is very defense focused.

Currently I'm on floor 15 in EOU2. We survived an avalanche and then got shot in the face by an old man and my whole team died because of it.

My biggest problem with EO1 is that the Ronin and Hexer are given out way too late and the game has no catch up mechanic for new recruits (besides just throwing them onto a small team for boosted xp) I like the idea of Stratum 5 and the aesthetic is pretty neat, but the area itself is a huge slog, it's gigantic and the the encounter rate seemed higher than usual, the FOEs of Stratum 5 seem much weaker than the gauntlet thrown at you in Stratum 4. Not to mention that at almost any given time you can instantly die on stratum 5 due to getting ambushed by some evil flowers and sleep-locked.
Just it felt kinda dumb that I was more afraid of the 5 armadillo squad random encounter than the FOEs running around on floor 25.
At the same time, I can't really tell if they balanced their game around immunize or not, because it's super strong and yet without it some bosses kinda wreck you.

A couple other things that kinda irk me about the series, is the art style. Like it's almost there in terms of it's design. But something is off?
I can't put my finger on it. Is it the fact there there are too many little girls and older men? the way that protector armor is somewhat over designed looking and it kinda clashes with the cartoony anime heads, is it that monsters that sometimes look really derpy,
I'm not really sure.
It did bother me that the

Forest Folk specifically Kapula

had a much better designs than my characters and it kinda bummed me out that I had to

commit a genocide against them to further the needs of capitalism.

I didn't mind destroying people, but man, if people are cooler looking than me, it sure does make it hard for me to justify destroying them.
In my head cannon for this game

Kapula ends up becoming the Alraune that you fight in a mission later on. In the final moments after you defeat Big Bird she literally sinks into the walls of the forest, to my implying that she became part of it.

Leeroh Zenon
Zetta Slow!

Post by Leeroh Zenon »

KinuNishimura wrote:Persona Q is insanely garbo and nobody should play it.
Oh, Persona Q isn't that bad... kind of. The story is sort of dumb, but it's... mostly acceptable?
The gameplay is really broke as shit, though. My whole team just stood there as Naoto cast nearly perfect all-hit instant kills on every single encounter, and all other magic was completely worthless because it cost too much and did like no damage compared to the physicals.
I guess Persona Q is kind of bad, then.
3DS FC: 2921-9082-9539
LHB

Post by LHB »

Looking to get into this series. Which game would you recommend to start on?
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Etrian 4 is the most user-friendly and also the easiest (as in, every team comp should fare reasonably well) so I'd start with that. Probably the least "repetitive" too with the overworld exploring and all so it's probably good for newcomers?? It's also my personal favorite but that really tends to change depending on who you ask. I'd recommend them in reverse order (4-3-2-1)

Avoid Untold 1 (remake of the first game), the "story mode" has nothing going for it (except MAYBE the grimoire thing...), the writing sucks, the voice acting sucks, but more importantly you're locked into a garbage party which completely kills the point of Etrian odyssey. Oh and sure, you can play classic mode but then you cannot play the "new" dungeons, in which case you're better off just playing the original game. I can't speak for Untold 2 as I haven't played it.

cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

Jesuiscontent wrote: Avoid Untold 1 (remake of the first game), the "story mode" has nothing going for it (except MAYBE the grimoire thing...), the writing sucks, the voice acting sucks, but more importantly you're locked into a garbage party which completely kills the point of Etrian odyssey. Oh and sure, you can play classic mode but then you cannot play the "new" dungeons, in which case you're better off just playing the original game. I can't speak for Untold 2 as I haven't played it.
Untold 2 fares better in that unlike Untold 1 the only thing you can't access on a fresh classic mode run is the class of the main character of story mode. Since the game has 14 classes total you still get plenty to choose from. I've been told that story mode is better written, but after playing though it in Untold 1 I wasn't willing to take a chance. I also absolutely hated managing grimoire stones in Untold 1, but the systems have been completely overhauled into something tolerable. I still prefer subclassing from EO3 and EO4 though. Another change I really love is that analysis finally displays enemy resistances to status effects and binds. Expert mode is also hard from the get go, unlike in 1 where it takes until mid-late game to happen (the postgame on the other hand was harder in EOU1 imo, but that may have been because as you mentioned the story mode party is pretty bad). Anyways, expert being consistently challenging is a plus for me but your mileage may vary.
Last edited by cozyduck 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Leeroh Zenon
Zetta Slow!

Post by Leeroh Zenon »

Jesuiscontent wrote:Etrian 4 is the most user-friendly and also the easiest (as in, every team comp should fare reasonably well) so I'd start with that. Probably the least "repetitive" too with the overworld exploring and all so it's probably good for newcomers?? It's also my personal favorite but that really tends to change depending on who you ask. I'd recommend them in reverse order (4-3-2-1)

Avoid Untold 1 (remake of the first game), the "story mode" has nothing going for it (except MAYBE the grimoire thing...), the writing sucks, the voice acting sucks, but more importantly you're locked into a garbage party which completely kills the point of Etrian odyssey. Oh and sure, you can play classic mode but then you cannot play the "new" dungeons, in which case you're better off just playing the original game. I can't speak for Untold 2 as I haven't played it.
I can't speak for story mode in Untold 2, but the classic mode has a surprisingly good party balance. I was able to get through most of the game with unusual gimmick parties. I really enjoyed classic mode, even if it wasn't my favorite Etrian (That would be 4).
Land/Beast/Gunner
Medic/Princess
Spam links all day and all night.
3DS FC: 2921-9082-9539
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

The story mode for Untold 2 isn't bad, but it feels very stock. Like the characters in the party feel very stock. My biggest problem is that they start dipping into the flanderization problem, Where their quirks end up becoming their personality.
Like the War Magus healer is really flat and uninteresting and really the only thing notable in her personality is that she likes food.

Another thing that bothers me is that some of the secondary characters you meet along the way just kinda get dropped. You do whatever with them and then never see them again, kinda bugs me considering that a bunch of guilds are supposed to be exploring the labyrinth.

Atleast you can have a bit of fun by choosing silly dialogue options.
ImageImage

I don't know about for untold 1 but in untold 2 you can Re-class any character (except for the Fafnir knight) into any other class (except for beast and Fafnir Knight) At the cost of 5 levels of course (This is seperate from respecing your skill points which costs 2 levels) but if you really don't like the line-up of Fafnir, Soveriegn, Protector, Survivalist and War Magus, you can change it. The party they give you is pretty decent, but you kinda need Link Order and depend on the slow Fafnir for offense.

Grimoires aren't really that bad in this game. They don't take up inventory, you get tons of them, They are rather boring and ineffective though outside of opening up options like healing and giving offensive spells to classes like the War Magus and Hexer. You will use most of them for passive and boosting the levels on skills you already own.
I think they went with grimoires over sub-classing because they figured that when people subclassed they were mostly aiming for OP ability combos anyways. So rather than people classing a landesneckt who could protect the party, people would just class a bushi who massacred everything.

Another big problem with Untold 1 is that for newcomers the story mode spoils Caution significant Spoilers
The best part of the game, the reveal of Lost Shinjuku.

I didn't really care for the plots of EO1 or EO2U. But I like the atmosphere of the areas and I liked the mini-puzzles of navigating around FOEs. But like EO1's plot has some pretty frustrating parts in it. Caution significant Spoilers
"Hey we found some weird humans living in the depths of the labyrinth, They've politely asked us to not trespass any further. What should we do Mayor?"
"Welp they are in our way, and my swimming pool filled with money isn't deep enough. We'll just have to kill them, otherwise we won't be able to pave that solid gold sidewalk in front of the Pub that I always wanted."

After fighting through Stratum 4 you stop and think for a second.
Our protagonists strip off the clothes and items off of the Forest folk. looting the Sand Cloth from their bodies and looting the Ink Sticks from them as well. the Ink stick reads: "Carried in a pouch and used for writing."

Like if you think about that, that is pretty horrible. We murder them (in semi-self defense? as they attack us for pillaging their resources) Then take their writing utensils and use the ink to make sturdier armor. We convert what they use to express themselves culturally into weapons and armor for war.

One item that really made me realize how pretty much evil the protagonists of EO1 are was the Ogre's Evil shell. Which reads: "Forest Ogre Shell drenched in sorrow." I'm pretty sure that means that it is covered in tears.

Remember in Etrian Odyssey every run is a Genocide run. Capitalism Ho!
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

Zummorr wrote:
I don't know about for untold 1 but in untold 2 you can Re-class any character (except for the Fafnir knight) into any other class (except for beast and Fafnir Knight) At the cost of 5 levels of course (This is seperate from respecing your skill points which costs 2 levels) but if you really don't like the line-up of Fafnir, Soveriegn, Protector, Survivalist and War Magus, you can change it. The party they give you is pretty decent, but you kinda need Link Order and depend on the slow Fafnir for offense.
But your stat development doesn't change to reflect your class change, making this pretty suboptimal. For instance, there's no point in reclassing your protector into a hexer when your luck stat will then be garbage.

Zummorr wrote:
Grimoires aren't really that bad in this game. They don't take up inventory, you get tons of them, They are rather boring and ineffective though outside of opening up options like healing and giving offensive spells to classes like the War Magus and Hexer. You will use most of them for passive and boosting the levels on skills you already own.
Grimoires are absolutely essential for many of the most OP strategies, such as Stigmata Hexers. To be fair, you will probably have to play very far into the game until you can make really good builds with grimoires (unless you use the QR code functionality to get good ones early), but for endgame/postgame they're very useful.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

cozyduck wrote:
But your stat development doesn't change to reflect your class change, making this pretty suboptimal. For instance, there's no point in reclassing your protector into a hexer when your luck stat will then be garbage.
Huh didn't know that, so is the stat growth of each character (in story mode) tied to the character and not the class. What I'm asking is, if you reclass early instead of later on would it lessen how bad you screw up your stats, or is Flavio just guaranteed high agility and Bertrand guaranteed high vit?
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

Zummorr wrote:
Huh didn't know that, so is the stat growth of each character (in story mode) tied to the character and not the class. What I'm asking is, if you reclass early instead of later on would it lessen how bad you screw up your stats, or is Flavio just guaranteed high agility and Bertrand guaranteed high vit?
Iirc it's the latter, it doesn't matter when you reclass.
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

Oh man EO
I've played EOU and EO2U and plan on playing the others eventually
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

cozyduck wrote:
Iirc it's the latter, it doesn't matter when you reclass.
huh makes me wonder why put in the option to class change if it is going to be suboptimal. I'd have to test this to see if this is truly the case.
cramps-man

Post by cramps-man »

Well demo for EO2U Pal region was released around 2 days ago. Pretty fun, can't wait for full version to get the most out of grimoires and classic mode classes. Story mode shall be for another playthrough :O
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory

Post by Juanbro »

OH MAN, Etrian Odyssey 5 will have dual audio for the OST, one akin to the newer Etrian Odysseys, and one in FM format! YES!!! I love the OST in EO4, but missed the catchiness of the FM font.

Watch minute 47:04 to hear the FM version of one of the battle themes.