(shouting)

Nintendo Direct Discussion Thread

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Re: Nintendo Direct Discussion Thread

Post by Lunikyuu »

I missed the direct, but I think seeing the words "sticker star 2" was enough to destroy my interest in it
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

M-maybe we'll get a reverse Sticker Star, where it starts out looking like SS but in later promotional material we'll start seeing partners and more RPG elements and freaking heck Nintendo why must you torment us like this
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Lots of potentially good games announced and/or shown, especially if you still play handhelds... which you should. Hook me up to Gunvolt 2, Kirby, DQVII, and a few other games right now, yo.
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

Kuupa wrote:-CATMANCER CATMANCER CATMANCER CATMANCER CATMANCER CATMANCER
Fixed it for you.

Besides CATMANCER, some neat stuff here, but some major disappointments. Sticker Star 2 is the worst idea ever, especially since it was the worst in the series by a country mile. Bowser's character is probably also going to be as flat as paper again. (pun intended) I can understand the hate for Federation Force for that reason. Its like going from Metroid Prime, to Other M, to Other M 2... without Samus. Ok, not quite the same... But yeah.

Edit: ALSO THE ARTSTYLE LOOKS AWFUL OH GOD MY EYES :tidE

also there was monster hunter and my icon may or may not be monster hunter so i'm probably excited about that or something

BUT CATMANCER GUYS! The 10th can't come soon enough.
Blivsey wrote:also
> everyone complaining about paper mario
> mario vs donkey kong series's corpse is right there, renewing its stench

IT LITERALLY ISN'T EVEN MVDK ANYMORE THEY KICKED THEM BOTH OUT OF THE TITLE BECAUSE MINIMARIO LEMMINGS GAME IS WAAAAAAAY BETTER IDEA I GUESS???
I'll give you that. I only played the first one with Minimarios because I liked the idea of designing my own levels and it was ok I guess. Since then it's been meh... But I don't remember it ever being as big as Paper Mario was, especially with how great TTYD was.
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

so, aside from the fact that it's not a true New Metroid Game, what's with all the incredible hate for Federation Force?

I haven't seen trailers mind you. All I know is that there's a ridiculous amount of hate.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Whimsical Calamari wrote:so, aside from the fact that it's not a true New Metroid Game, what's with all the incredible hate for Federation Force?

I haven't seen trailers mind you. All I know is that there's a ridiculous amount of hate.
The word Metroid means a solo adventure through an unknown world gaining upgrades and exploring.

What is federation force? Not that.

You don't put Metroid in the title of a game that isn't Metroid.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Dizzybelle »

[has been playing Bravely Second for like a week already]
catmancer is the cutest, can confirm

seeing more pokken is always a plus hell yeah (god damn i cant wait for that game)
and FINALLY we're getting more 3ds virtual games
and whY IS NOBODY FREAKING OUT ABOUT DRAGON QUEST
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
HELL YEAH
get in the robot, kirby
the new kirby looks super rad ♥

im super glad rhythm heaven and monster hunter fans are getting what theyve been waiting for~
ImageImageImage
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Post by Lunikyuu »

Ok so I looked at some of the other stuff because I felt bad about being a salty steve and the new Kirby game actually does look pretty cool. Also I don't know exactly when/where it was revealed, but Catmancer sounds like the best class ever.
warpio

Post by warpio »

Hmm... this may be foolish of me, but I am cautiously optimistic about this Paper Mario game. At least in this case we know right off the bat that it's not going to be OG Paper Mario but something different. The extreme backlash from Sticker Star came mostly because it started out as an OG Paper Mario only to crush everyone's hopes later on when it was released.

One thing that I thought Sticker Star did really well were its puzzles. That game had some really cleverly designed puzzles that legit made me stumped a few times. But unfortunately that wasn't enough to redeem it for all its flaws including a terrible combat system, terrible boss battles that require no strategy, and terribly minimalistic story with very few interesting characters/locations.

The only thing we know for certain about this new Paper Mario game is that it uses the same sort of terrible combat system as Sticker Star, which sucks... But there's still a good chance they'll improve in all of the other areas where Sticker Star failed... From the few glimpses of the game we've seen, it seems like they're not going with the usual grassland/desert/forest/snow/etc theme this time but instead going with a more unique world design that is more suited to what Paper Mario should be.

Who knows, it could be good. At the very least it'll be better than Sticker Star, it's just a question of how much better. I can't say I'm not interested.

Other than that, the lineup for the first half of 2016 is pretty solid... Star Fox Zero is everything I've wanted out of a SF game, Mario Maker getting keys/red coins makes me happy, Kirby is always good, and Rhythm Heaven and a new Dragon Quest getting localized really made my day. A+ direct overall.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

pholtos wrote:The word Metroid means a solo adventure through an unknown world gaining upgrades and exploring.

What is federation force? Not that.

You don't put Metroid in the title of a game that isn't Metroid.
Yeah, but they've made it very clear what Federation Force is by this point. I could understand the backlash with the initial announcement, but the continued hate, despite that it's abundantly clear that it won't magically become a standard Metroid game?

Does it look like that bad of a game? Or is it just that nobody wants it to be a good game?
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Whimsical Calamari wrote:Does it look like that bad of a game? Or is it just that nobody wants it to be a good game?
It's a game that looks nice, but they decided to make it a metroid game. They shouldn't have done that.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

Oh yeah the SNES VC is ONLY on the New 3DS.

Because cashflow.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

No Lynch wrote:Oh yeah the SNES VC is ONLY on the New 3DS.

Because cashflow.
waiting on a possible price cut to nab one of those bad boys
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Okay, it doesn't resolve a lot of the issues that were shown, but I did notice something interesting with that Paper Mario game's OW that I'd like to point out. I'm lazy so I'll just copy my message from another site.
Notice that there aren't a lot of dots, but theres a number of points of interest on that map that would most likely be separate levels? I'm starting to think that the OW map may be more of a quick travel type deal than anything else. Like you will have free exploring in a "world", and then you can jump to the OW to travel to another area, instead of the quick travel warp pipes used in the first two PM games. I'll be honest, if this is the case, then my interest in the game has gone up, if only a little.
That desert like area to the right backs this up the most I think. You can see 3 clear points of interest. A mountain, train, and some sort of temple, but the level icon is nestled in the bottom center.
Nao
Pronouns: he

Post by Nao »

Chaoxys wrote:Okay, it doesn't resolve a lot of the issues that were shown, but I did notice something interesting with that Paper Mario game's OW that I'd like to point out. I'm lazy so I'll just copy my message from another site.
Notice that there aren't a lot of dots, but theres a number of points of interest on that map that would most likely be separate levels? I'm starting to think that the OW map may be more of a quick travel type deal than anything else. Like you will have free exploring in a "world", and then you can jump to the OW to travel to another area, instead of the quick travel warp pipes used in the first two PM games. I'll be honest, if this is the case, then my interest in the game has gone up, if only a little.
That desert like area to the right backs this up the most I think. You can see 3 clear points of interest. A mountain, train, and some sort of temple, but the level icon is nestled in the bottom center.
Nope, I don't think this is going to happen. I bet there are more level points in that which we just can't see yet. Also a single level can connect two themes like train and mountain easily.

Overall I think the Paper Mario has the potential to be better than Sticker Star atleast, even though it still disppoints me. The world map and the presence of per-level collectibles are clues that this game is as linear as a jump'n'run game. There is one original character yet, the color bucket, but considering this looks to be a replacement for Kersti I doubt there will be original enemies and characters (also considering that Miamoto said he didn't want original characters in Sticker Star, I don't think he has changed his mind). The graphics are indeed pretty nice, though.

Otherwise there weren't many things in the Direct that catched my interest. Starfox looked good but I have no experience with Starfox at all. I stopped caring about Mario Maker. Metroid looks disappointing.

I look forward to the E3, as I hope they will be doing better with NX.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Whimsical Calamari wrote: Yeah, but they've made it very clear what Federation Force is by this point. I could understand the backlash with the initial announcement, but the continued hate, despite that it's abundantly clear that it won't magically become a standard Metroid game?

Does it look like that bad of a game? Or is it just that nobody wants it to be a good game?
Mostly because people despise change or straying from the 'norm' of they want Metroid to be. It's a game that looks like it handles fairly similar to Metroid Prime and utilizes its lore in the story as seen in the direct. And yet, at the same time, it doesn't follow the standard blueprint of something like the original Super Metroid.

The game will get belittled just because it doesn't follow the standards of what many people found to be great of past Metroid games, things like full exploration or playing as Samus herself. It's a shame too, as there still isn't a whole lot to go from just directs or previews of the game, and yet people are shitting on it for mainly because of using 'Metroid' in the title. Just from seeing "Metroid" in the title -- with how "different" the game seems to compare to the Metroid series in terms of mechanics -- a lot of people are going to be turned off by it.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Nao wrote:
Chaoxys wrote:Okay, it doesn't resolve a lot of the issues that were shown, but I did notice something interesting with that Paper Mario game's OW that I'd like to point out. I'm lazy so I'll just copy my message from another site.
Nope, I don't think this is going to happen. I bet there are more level points in that which we just can't see yet. Also a single level can connect two themes like train and mountain easily.

Overall I think the Paper Mario has the potential to be better than Sticker Star atleast, even though it still disppoints me. The world map and the presence of per-level collectibles are clues that this game is as linear as a jump'n'run game. There is one original character yet, the color bucket, but considering this looks to be a replacement for Kersti I doubt there will be original enemies and characters (also considering that Miamoto said he didn't want original characters in Sticker Star, I don't think he has changed his mind). The graphics are indeed pretty nice, though.

Otherwise there weren't many things in the Direct that catched my interest. Starfox looked good but I have no experience with Starfox at all. I stopped caring about Mario Maker. Metroid looks disappointing.

I look forward to the E3, as I hope they will be doing better with NX.
Really? Because we can see the entire forest area, and theres only one point, right in the center of the world. Same with the desert, theres only one point right in the center, away from the more noticable locations. Idk, the more I look at it, the more it looks like it may be something like SMRPG's OW.
Nao
Pronouns: he

Post by Nao »

There could also be sub-overworlds with three levels each or something for the different worlds. Or the levels are just very long with many checkpoints.
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Nao wrote:There could also be sub-overworlds with three levels each or something for the different worlds. Or the levels are just very long with many checkpoints.
I'd be cool with longer levels, as long as the extended length is for a reason and not just longer for the sake of it.
warpio

Post by warpio »

I'd say it's almost a sure thing that the levels are going to be grander in scale than Sticker Star, because Sticker Star was made as a portable game, meant to be played in shorter sessions. Nintendo devs usually treat their mainline console titles as bigger projects than their portable counterparts.
Nao wrote:Overall I think the Paper Mario has the potential to be better than Sticker Star atleast, even though it still disppoints me. The world map and the presence of per-level collectibles are clues that this game is as linear as a jump'n'run game.
Nah, the world map doesn't say anything about whether the game will be linear or not. Have you actually played Sticker Star? I wouldn't describe it as a "linear run+jump" game at all... The game's levels have quite a lot of backtracking and exploration in them, despite being separated by a world map. The areas themselves aren't any more linear than the self-contained areas in other Paper Mario games. The world map is essentially only replacing the sewer system as the method of travel between areas. Sticker Star had many problems, but "linearity" was not one of them.
Money

Post by Money »

if they could merge sticker star's creative use of the paper aesthetic with ttyd's general gameplay/story/characters/pretty much everything else i would be soooo happy

buuuuuuuut it doesnt look like thats gonna happen any time soon so

man, it's weird. paper mario's been "not paper mario" for more games than it's been "paper mario" and i dont know what to think about that.
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

I read a good point to further my mention of Federation Force.

It has been 6 years since a new Metroid game. And Other M was a mess of a game for many reasons for many different people. People have been waiting for something new for years, and they get Federation Force. To better reference back to Paper Mario, it would be like going from TTYD straight to Sticker Star, with the same time difference between games. Years after the greatness that was TTYD, Paper Mario fans are waiting... and waiting... and Sticker Star.

I also saw the argument about there being Metroid spinoffs before, this one should be fine too. But same answer applies here too. The other spinoffs, main-line Metroid games were coming out. The last main Metroid was 6 years ago, people didn't like it, now they get a spinoff. It would be the same with Starfox if instead of Zero, we got some spinoff. Pikmin 2 to Pikmin 3 was a huge wait. Let Pikmin 3 be a farming game. If we ever get a new F-Zero, it'll just be a full version of the one Nintendo-land mini game. Not exact parallels, but trying to relate it to as many people as possible.
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
Ignoritus
O◡O
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ignoritus »

one of, if not the single most important thing about how a game is received is expectations

that more or less is the laconic reason for why federation force is a bomb
LHB

Post by LHB »

Late, but FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEAH RHMM FUCK.
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

My thoughts on the Direct summed up: