smbx communitypge projectsmw central

happy birthday talkhaus!!!

Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 1/2/3 Updated!)

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess
First name: Servalan

Re: Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 1/2 Sprite Translation Updated!)

Postby Horikawa Otane » 4 years ago

LHB wrote:The word 'hacked' today has a very different meaning than it was when this hack was made.

This was one of the first full hacks ever created. There were basically no standards in hacking at the time, and next to no extra resources to use. I was never around in those days of hacking, but I would think that blatant level edits would be almost ok in that time, I know at least they weren't frowned upon as much as they are today. As for the level, I think the creator was a first-timer just wanting to show off how well he could 'hack' the level. For example, the one custom block at the beginning of the level just screams "Hey look at what I can do! Custom blocks!" and the level in general just feels like a 'hacked' level in general, meaning this level, very subtly, doesn't feel like it would actually be part of a professional game. Look at it in Lunar Magic to see that most screens have the enemy/tile that was there before, copied & pasted in different spots. When you look at the old Youtube Levels you will see lots of the same things in those levels as displayed in this level. He didn't have very high standards along with the rest of the community to what 'hacked' meant, so while it may only seem like a slight change to us, to him it constituted being 'hacked'.

...sorry if that made no sense. I have a hard time saying what I mean with words.
Hmm, that is also true. Personally, I think that, taken in the context of the rest of the levels, it is less "hack-y," but you do make a point. Really, it's up to interpretation here - like in English, we can't know which is more accurate without asking the author themselves. Like I said though, I personally think "Revised" works better so I'm keeping it there.

Thanks though! This has been interesting!
Watch my Butt on the YouTubes
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

LHB

Postby LHB » 4 years ago

That makes sense, besides, 1-1 Revised would fit better for the mindsets of today since it seems even less modified today than it would've been long ago.

It was nice to hear your take on this! I have started teaching myself Japanese recently, but it's hard to learn what word would fit the right context without a native speakers help. Take that with the fact that I only know about ~200 Japanese words (excluding Katakana), and don't even know where to start on the thousands of kanji (I know about 10-20), I am bound to make some errors :P

Anyways, I can't wait until VIP 3 is released! You are doing a great job of translating some of my favorite games ever!

Also, is Roy's Castle referencing this guy?

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

LHB wrote:That makes sense, besides, 1-1 Revised would fit better for the mindsets of today since it seems even less modified today than it would've been long ago.

It was nice to hear your take on this! I have started teaching myself Japanese recently, but it's hard to learn what word would fit the right context without a native speakers help. Take that with the fact that I only know about ~200 Japanese words (excluding Katakana), and don't even know where to start on the thousands of kanji (I know about 10-20), I am bound to make some errors :P

Anyways, I can't wait until VIP 3 is released! You are doing a great job of translating some of my favorite games ever!

Also, is Roy's Castle referencing this guy?
No, it actually refers to those annoying Kaizo trap-hidden-block things. There's a meme loooooosely coming from that guy you linked to, but he's largely irrelevant in its usage.

I'll try to get VIP 3 done tonight or tomorrow night. I've been a bit busy and lazy lately since raocow wasn't even on VIP 2 yet =P.

edit: In case you were wondering about the meme... Basically, that guy was this amazing strategist, so the concept is "Oh my god... Anything here could be a trap! This person can blend brilliant traps and strategies directly into the scenery! I need to be worried about everything!" And then you fall into a trap and yell "Koumei!!!!!!" (The strategist's name). So it's sort of you as a player going up against a "war strategist," but like I said... It's mostly used for those invisible blocks and the background meme doesn't matter as much.
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Okay, so I've translated most of VIP 3 at this point, but I'm having a problem.

When I try to change a level in Lunar Magic, for example to add an additional textbox, it breaks the entire game upon saving. It doesn't even make it to the title screen, though the music plays. Any chance someone can look at this for me? This is the pre-broken version. So just open it, put a dialogue box in a level, save, and then open it in zsnes and see what happens.

edit: Nevermind, got it working.

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Re: Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 3 Released!)

VIP 3 has been released guys! Give it a look!

LHB

Postby LHB » 4 years ago

1. In X, the word for quick save should be savestate.
2. You should move the message box in the Yellow Switch since that level is kind of a race. The switch room would work.
3. In Author's Challenge, are you sure the second paths name is Spicy? It seems a bit weird... maybe a more fitting name would be harsh.

And that's what I have seen at a glance. Good job translating!

(Also, I still have no idea why that one level is named Gay Cruising Spot, haha)

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

LHB wrote:1. In X, the word for quick save should be savestate.
2. You should move the message box in the Yellow Switch since that level is kind of a race. The switch room would work.
3. In Author's Challenge, are you sure the second paths name is Spicy? It seems a bit weird... maybe a more fitting name would be harsh.

And that's what I have seen at a glance. Good job translating!

(Also, I still have no idea why that one level is named Gay Cruising Spot, haha)
1. Oh, good point. I'll change that eventually. Want to get some more feedback before I make an update.

2. I'll take a look. Thanks!

3. Yes. It is Spicy, which contrasts with the Mild other door.

A "Gay Cruising Spot" 「ハッテン場」is a place where many gay men gather to find someone for sex. They decided to base the level on that concept... For some reason. Which is why the note blocks say "Woah! Let's do it!" or thereabouts. One such place is the park toilet area, apparently. Which is why they referenced that silly ASCII art about the park toilet.

Bartle

Postby Bartle » 4 years ago

When you've done them all, you should do a play-by-play on differences between the literal, your translations and Oyster, like Tomato does with Legends of Localization

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Bartle wrote:When you've done them all, you should do a play-by-play on differences between the literal, your translations and Oyster, like Tomato does with Legends of Localization
Oh that does sound neat. I do have a couple rants I could do on Oyster's more... Mysterious translations. I won't be doing EVERY single instance though - probably just some nice examples between mine, literal, and Oyster's as well as some basic history on the translation and my evolution of working with small space and Mario hack translation.

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Re: Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 3 Updated!)

Okay, so in VIP 4 the message box in the Kinda Noisy Storehouse (I forget how Oyster translated it) was SUPER neat.

Basically the message box has a lot of text and random stuff. As raocow found out though, there is a vertical message. The first line (which says "Poor Stupid Horse lololol") has a space as the first character, which means you skip it... Then you see the rest of the vertical message says...
LとSTART - Which means "L and Start," telling you how to beat the level~

That said, translating that was hard! Due to the nature of the one-character Japanese "and/with" being used there, I had to translate 'and' in one character!

Ultimately I decided to use LnSTART. And then make the character next to the n an apostrophe, to sort of emphasise it. The rest of the characters on the line are the corresponding 1-1 to the positions of the original text. (So it sort of reads L n' Start)

Just thought I'd share that little translation story since some people seemed interested in some of the interesting decision-making processes that go into translating a game like VIP.

alex2
Banned

Postby alex2 » 4 years ago

&
Warning: Opinions expressed by alex2 or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of alex2 himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
raocow wrote:a3xt will be my last project, after which I will quit lp forever
SPASM - LevelASM for Yoshi's Island!
My mosts things:

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

alex2 wrote:&
Too obvious - and it isn't in my character set. And I'm rubbish with yychr x.x.

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Re: Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 1/2/3 Updated!)

Some notes on the recent VIP 1/2/3 updates.

I just figured out what TDN Polyphony meant~. So I had to go change it and fix it, but I thought that level was in VIP 1... So then I went and fixed some derps in VIP 1.

Then I went to VIP 2 to fix the TDN Polyphony level (turns out Polyphony references this literary concept! It's a term also used when discussing Western literature in Japan).

Then I had to go update VIP 3 to reflect the TDN-Tadano change because the lyrics of the song there had the term TDN in it.

I also had to go and rebuild all the culture-note-block-additions and the coin/line art in VIP 1-2 because they had graphical bugs when being opened by Lunar Magic 1.64. So by doing that and making them stable with 1.64, it's possible that weird bugs that may have been in the games (though no one reported any), have been fixed. The VIP 3 translation was done entirely in 1.64, so there was no additional action needed there.

All-in-all they were time-consuming updates, but not SUPER important ones for people to upgrade to I suppose.

(I'll be working on VIP 4 a good amount tomorrow. School is cancelled, so once I do my tls work, I'll be doing some VIP stuff)

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Well, I'm resuming VIP 4 officially now that summer's here. I'll try to have a finished version out in a week or two.

Also VIP 2 has been mildly updated. I fit the full translation for a puzzle in there now. I intentionally left out some bits I thought weren't important, but they ended up being so or something.

yoshicookiezeus
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby yoshicookiezeus » 3 years ago

So since all the attachments got wiped, any chance you could reupload the patches?
My Youtube channel (mostly dead)

Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Postby Septentrion Pleiades » 3 years ago

yoshicookiezeus wrote:So since all the attachments got wiped, any chance you could reupload the patches?
If you need them right now I supposed this website might work: http://horikawaotane.pythonanywhere.com/vip1

yoshicookiezeus
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby yoshicookiezeus » 3 years ago

Thanks a lot! I didn't even know that page existed. Although I should probably wait until we're done with the hack remoderation until I start playing other hacks, it's nice to know that the translations didn't disappear entirely.
My Youtube channel (mostly dead)

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Postby Horikawa Otane » 3 years ago

yoshicookiezeus wrote:Thanks a lot! I didn't even know that page existed. Although I should probably wait until we're done with the hack remoderation until I start playing other hacks, it's nice to know that the translations didn't disappear entirely.
Oh wow yeah. I also have them on my computer still.

I've been working 119 hours a week for the last year or so, so I haven't had the time to update them. On Friday, that goes down to about... 20-40. But it's good - it's actually more money. Haha.

My current plan, starting next week, is to do the following:

1. Re-bake my VIP 2 from scratch in order to fix the graphical bugs (-_-;;; About two annoying hours of tedium)
2. Re-Verify VIP 3 is fine with a quick game-genie run-through of the game (more fun)
3. Resume VIP 4 translation (about half way done as of when I left off)
4. Resume translation of Vantage Master Japan (actually, I may just do this instead of VIP 4 since Raocow is nowhere near playing VIP 4 yet and VMJ is much more deserving of my time anyway)

Hopefully by the end of January or thereabouts I'll have VIP 4 done and hopefully by the end of next week I'll have VIP 2 and 3 completely fixed or whatever.

glitch4
positivity
Pronouns: glitch

Postby glitch4 » 3 years ago

yay you're back :D :D

LHB

Postby LHB » 3 years ago

Hey Horikawa, I was wondering how you went about translating the first box in Quiz Time where you had to identify the second stroke in the kanji 「右」 into something sensible in English?

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

LHB wrote:Hey Horikawa, I was wondering how you went about translating the first box in Quiz Time where you had to identify the second stroke in the kanji 「右」 into something sensible in English?
It's been awhile since I've taken a look. I kinda forget. I think I changed the riddle to a similar English right/left one or something.

I wasn't expecting the MaGL to be as popular as it was, so I won't be able to get back to this until after it's done.

norwegianguy

Postby norwegianguy » 3 years ago

it does not seem like this thread or the translation website has been updated in quite a while.
is VIP 4 still getting translated? i know about the MAGL... but isn´t that over now?

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

norwegianguy wrote:it does not seem like this thread or the translation website has been updated in quite a while.
is VIP 4 still getting translated? i know about the MAGL... but isn´t that over now?
no magl is always and forever.

right now vip 4 is on the backburner because raocow isn't anywhere near it and there's been very little demand for it.

Don't worry - I haven't lost my progress. It's right there and it's like 60% done. I'll finish it once raocow is doing VIP 3 or when there's substantial demand.

zemoose

Postby zemoose » 2 years ago

Can the files be re-uploaded to Mega or something? All files are down.

LHB

Postby LHB » 2 years ago

I took a little time to polish the current VIP 2 patch into something more official. Namely, I inserted the ultra-extended 56-character level names patch, made some of the graphics nicer, removed the in-game translation notes and put them in an alternate text file, and am currently working on some script editing.

VIP 2. This is where I'm at right now. If there aren't any major bugs I find in playtesting I should be able to finish in a couple days.

Return to “the cartridgé”