smw centralsmbx communitymario fan games galaxy

firefox related css updates (bbcode/shoutbox) - ctrl-f5 if they're still jacked up for you

Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 1/2/3 Updated!)

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess
First name: Servalan

Re: Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 1 v3.26-Final Translation Released!)

Postby Horikawa Otane » 4 years ago

Aaaaand VIP 2 is released. Some of the net-speak and cultural references were rather vague, so there may be some translation errors, but only a couple.

If anyone catches any, shoot me a message or post here and I'll fix it up!
Watch my Butt on the YouTubes
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

vgboy

Re: Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 2 v1.00 Translation Released!)

Postby vgboy » 4 years ago

Which I just did, so once she handles that you can all expect FULL VIP QUALITY. Maybe.

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Re: Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 2 v1.00 Translation Released!)

vgboy wrote:Which I just did, so once she handles that you can all expect FULL VIP QUALITY. Maybe.
Yup! Your notes were super useful! You pointed out one really dumb mistake, a couple clarifications, some very useful alternative interpretations, some suggestions on official wording, etc.

There's one or two things I'm not planning on using for one reason or another (personal preference, etc), but most of them will be implemented tonight and then I'll upload v1.5 (you'll be credited in the changelog there. Thanks so much!)
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

derjet

Re: Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 2 v1.50 Translation Released!)

Postby derjet » 4 years ago

I don't know what caused this, but the background in the second section of A Cave With Bubbles is all japanese characters

(Level 27 on LM, looks fine there)

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

derjet wrote:I don't know what caused this, but the background in the second section of A Cave With Bubbles is all japanese characters

(Level 27 on LM, looks fine there)
Errrrrrm. Umm... I have no idea. Can you upload your save file so I can test it against my copy and a couple emulators?

morsel/morceau

Postby morsel/morceau » 4 years ago

You must have overwritten the graphics of the layer 3 rocks when you made your new character set. You can see this during the title screen movie as well since Nintendo is partially overwritten.
dont wanna jihad no more

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

morsel/morceau wrote:You must have overwritten the graphics of the layer 3 rocks when you made your new character set. You can see this during the title screen movie as well since Nintendo is partially overwritten.
Hrm =/. How would I to about fixing that? I assume it's playable now, so it isn't MAJOR, but it'd be nice to have a fully aesthetically working product.

derjet

Here's the save.

I don't think this is hard to fix, but then again I don't really know a lot about SMW hacking.
Attachments
MIX2.zip
(270 Bytes) Downloaded 32 times

morsel/morceau

Postby morsel/morceau » 4 years ago

Horikawa Otane wrote:
morsel/morceau wrote:You must have overwritten the graphics of the layer 3 rocks when you made your new character set. You can see this during the title screen movie as well since Nintendo is partially overwritten.
Hrm =/. How would I to about fixing that? I assume it's playable now, so it isn't MAJOR, but it'd be nice to have a fully aesthetically working product.
Just redo the graphics and swap them over.

I noticed the butterfly animation in level 10 is messed up. I'll fix that for you if you like.
dont wanna jihad no more

derjet

I just checked, and it seems that all the levels with layer 2 shenanigans have garbled backgrounds

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

derjet wrote:I just checked, and it seems that all the levels with layer 2 shenanigans have garbled backgrounds
Blaaaaaaaaaah. I was hoping to have no non-text issues this time around.

I have some instructions on fixing this and I'll work on it tonight after I get done my project at work, probably.

derjet

Two minor things:

- On Sky World, the first level (The sky is so high wwwwww) has a weird tile in the title
- ABUSE OF ABYSS is now called Star Road... yeah

Sorry to bother you with all this Horikawa :(

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

derjet wrote:Two minor things:

- On Sky World, the first level (The sky is so high wwwwww) has a weird tile in the title
- ABUSE OF ABYSS is now called Star Road... yeah

Sorry to bother you with all this Horikawa :(
Oh no, it's perfect! I love having a 'beta tester' of sorts.

edit: Fixed the layer 2 glitches! I'll fix these weird character problems and then upload again!

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Re: Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 2 v1.60 Translation Released!)

Mmk, all those problems should be fixed (I'll test the butterflies tonight). Keep playing! If you see anything else, please mention it~

derjet

Re: Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 2 v1.61 Translation Released!)

I just finished the game, here are two very small problems:
MIX2_00001.png
That's a strange text box
MIX2_00001.png (8.37 KiB) Viewed 1732 times
MIX2_00002.png
I think this said o3o before?
MIX2_00002.png (4.01 KiB) Viewed 1732 times
Thank you for all the work, it's nice to play the VIPs and actually understand what's going on.

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Re: Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 2 v1.61 Translation Released!)

derjet wrote:I just finished the game, here are two very small problems:
MIX2_00001.png
MIX2_00002.png
Thank you for all the work, it's nice to play the VIPs and actually understand what's going on.
The first one can't be changed by any method I know of. They did a sprite swap =/.

The second one... Yeah, I'll fix it in a couple minutes or so and re-upload within an hour or two.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and I'm SUPER glad you sort of 'beta tested' as-it-were. I'm glad to have these bugs found out before a raocow run or something.

Thanks a lot!

edit: Done and uploaded~

Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Re: Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 2 v1.62 Translation Released!)

Postby Septentrion Pleiades » 4 years ago

Horikawa Otane wrote:IThe first one can't be changed by any method I know of. They did a sprite swap =/.
The usal solution is to have a different Sublevel for the message box. However, since it is a head, you could possibly have a speech box coming out of it signalifying it's purpose.

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Re: Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 2 v1.62 Translation Released!)

So for those paying attention to these things...

I believe the final version of VIP 1 has just been released.

I gave it some additional polish in terms of script editing and natural sounding English. Now that I have the full context, it definitely helps. Not much changed there though, really...

What's more important though is that I have FULLY translated VIP 1.

Yup, all explosions, sound effects, sprites, attacks, credits, etc. have been translated. Even the image at the end.

I'll be giving the same treatment to VIP 2 tomorrow, hopefully!

Enjoy!

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Re: Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 2 v2.0-Sprite Translation Released!)

I just gave the same treatment to VIP 2!

VIP 2 is now fully translated - including all sprite art and coin art and everything~

SnackJackSJ
*Pressing controller buttons and plucking guitar strings furiously*
First name: Adam

Postby SnackJackSJ » 4 years ago

I've got a bit of a problem, that needs to be addressed considering This could be included in my current let's play of VIP 2.

I patched the game on ZSNES, used a hard save to keep my place and yes everything was translated. But the problems that arisen are this. My Rom crashes as I try to enter World 5 or World 1. Where in the Japanese version this problem is non-existent. Anything that can be done to fix this would be appreciated.

Is the problem that I have an older version of the game or something?
Whoa! Jack plays Mario Hacks?!
peace, love, and music

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

SnackJackSJ wrote:I've got a bit of a problem, that needs to be addressed considering This could be included in my current let's play of VIP 2.

I patched the game on ZSNES, used a hard save to keep my place and yes everything was translated. But the problems that arisen are this. My Rom crashes as I try to enter World 5 or World 1. Where in the Japanese version this problem is non-existent. Anything that can be done to fix this would be appreciated.

Is the problem that I have an older version of the game or something?
I know this is troublesome, but could you possibly upload your save? I was able to (with debug mode, admittedly) get through the whole game.

LHB

Re: Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 1/2 Sprite Translation Updated!)

Postby LHB » 4 years ago

Question: Would a better name for 1-1 Revised in VIP 1 be something like '1-1: Hacked!'. While the word for revision or modifying is kai, I think hack would work better there since the the word for ROM hacks in Japanese translates to modification in English.

Bartle

Postby Bartle » 4 years ago

I'd say hacked is too broad a term; if I replaced half the stages I could call it a hack. Revision makes it sound more like the changes still maintain the original intent. Granted, a revision could still replace stages, but coupled with the numerous references to translation the meaning is clear.

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

LHB wrote:Question: Would a better name for 1-1 Revised in VIP 1 be something like '1-1: Hacked!'. While the word for revision or modifying is kai, I think hack would work better there since the the word for ROM hacks in Japanese translates to modification in English.
Bartle wrote:I'd say hacked is too broad a term; if I replaced half the stages I could call it a hack. Revision makes it sound more like the changes still maintain the original intent. Granted, a revision could still replace stages, but coupled with the numerous references to translation the meaning is clear.
I'd say this is an instance of dictionary-thinking, more or less. But colloquial Japanese dictionary-thinking, which is kinda cool in itself.

It is possible that the authors intended the 「改」 to reference the 「改」 of 「改造」 ("Kaizou" - meaning "Rom Hack" in this context, more literally and non-colloquially it is a "Remodeling"). However, I want to make two things abundantly clear about this.

The first is that we are not sure about this - Take a look at the usage of the kanji alone as a sort of encapsulation effect of "the remodeling of X" as used here and here. No one would argue they're not using it as short-hand for 「改造」. It is however undeniable that in the context of 「改造」 meaning "ROM Hack," it is distinctly possible that the meaning is exactly as you say - "Hacked!" Still, the potential of it just being "revised" or "improved" or "revolutionised" or whatever is there too. What we'll see later is that "Hacked!" is likely not the authorial intent, however.

Number two is important and that's the 「意味」 (meaning/intent). This is where most translators fall on their face and it's a trap that's all-too-easy to fall into (I've done it a bunch myself!), particularly if you rely heavily on dictionary and translation resources. You can't think about just the 「意味」 in Japanese - you have to think about it in English too. If I were to say "1-1 Hacked!" it does, as Bartle points out above, imply a sense of a massive change where the 「内容」 (contents of the level, the major elements that compose it) are changed and altered to become something entirely new. If the level was named 「改造1-1」 and it was basically it's own little mini crazy-weird, drastically different hack, then "Hacked" sounds more natural - and in Japanese the use of 「改造」 would sound more natural too. Given the level itself, the gist, intent, and aesthetic of the level was kept pretty consistent with the source. Ergo, in this particular instance, "Revised" or "Remodeled" is ideal. "Revised" sounds better and implies even less change than "Remodeled," which seems to connotate a major aesthetic change as well, so it's why I went with it.

With point 1 in context of 2, and the nature of the ROM Hacks popular in Japan (they're all evil and filled with those 「孔明」), it is most likely that the 「改」 was not meant to reference 「改造」 and was merely being used as in the website examples above.

That was a SUPER neat question though and thanks for asking it! I love talking translation theory~.

LHB

Postby LHB » 4 years ago

The word 'hacked' today has a very different meaning than it was when this hack was made.

This was one of the first full hacks ever created. There were basically no standards in hacking at the time, and next to no extra resources to use. I was never around in those days of hacking, but I would think that blatant level edits would be almost ok in that time, I know at least they weren't frowned upon as much as they are today. As for the level, I think the creator was a first-timer just wanting to show off how well he could 'hack' the level. For example, the one custom block at the beginning of the level just screams "Hey look at what I can do! Custom blocks!" and the level in general just feels like a 'hacked' level in general, meaning this level, very subtly, doesn't feel like it would actually be part of a professional game. Look at it in Lunar Magic to see that most screens have the enemy/tile that was there before, copied & pasted in different spots. When you look at the old Youtube Levels you will see lots of the same things in those levels as displayed in this level. He didn't have very high standards along with the rest of the community to what 'hacked' meant, so while it may only seem like a slight change to us, to him it constituted being 'hacked'.

...sorry if that made no sense. I have a hard time saying what I mean with words.

Return to “the cartridgé”