mario fan games galaxyirc.cat.biosmw central

firefox related css updates (bbcode/shoutbox) - ctrl-f5 if they're still jacked up for you

Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 1/2/3 Updated!)

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess
First name: Servalan

Re: Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 1 v1.25 Translation Released!)

Postby Horikawa Otane » 4 years ago

raocow wrote:I,m seriously thinking it would have been simpler to just have them in .txt files at this point, if it demands that much extra world going so far as REBUILDING LEVELS, hahaha
Well, rebuilding a couple screens =P. And so far I've been pretty lucky in that I haven't had to do that hehe. It's only been three screens in this first VIP and it's taught me how to use Lunar Magic, which I appreciate~.
Watch my Butt on the YouTubes
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

alex2
Banned

Postby alex2 » 4 years ago

I'd be happy to help you out with that level name patch!
Warning: Opinions expressed by alex2 or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of alex2 himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
raocow wrote:a3xt will be my last project, after which I will quit lp forever
SPASM - LevelASM for Yoshi's Island!
My mosts things:

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

alex2 wrote:I'd be happy to help you out with that level name patch!
I sent you a message x.x. How do we do this?
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

OKAY EVERYONE.

I have officially got xkas and the longer text thingy working! It turns out to be pretty easy and doesn't screw up the game in any way I can tell. Therefore... The next update will be the v3.0-final (2.0 was internal and featured fixed levels) update.

It will include:

Rebuilt broken levels
The lack of the gfx patch so that 01D will not screw up at the beginning.
Longer level names and therefore less explanation boxes!

I am in finals week, so I'd say a tentative final VIP 1 release is 12/22-12/23.

At that point I will begin VIP 2 and that will not take me more than a couple days, so expect a Christmas miracle for VIP 2, probably...

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 4 years ago

Oh man~~~!!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

VIP 1 3.0-Final has been released! I will move onto VIP 2 this weekend.

Unless there are major issues or something that people notice, I will not update VIP 1 beyond this.

Maybe get a raocow playthrough? =P

Daarkbuu

Re: Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 1 v3.0-Final Translation Released!)

Postby Daarkbuu » 4 years ago

raocow wrote:Oh man~~~!!
Celebratory Vip Quadrilogy Run Mark 3 savestateless after she finishes the other ones! gogogogogogo!!!!
unf

morsel/morceau

Postby morsel/morceau » 4 years ago

I didn't visit every sublevel but I was able to get every exit and everything looked and played as it should (as far as I can tell). You did a great job. I do think it would be better to have the patch so that it's to be applied to SMW rather than VIP 1, though.

Some minor things:
-Many of the warp stars have a string of As instead of a name.
-Thrill Life.
-The Submerge-Trick Castle (?).
-Taquila should be Tequila (in the cocktail bar message).
dont wanna jihad no more

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

morsel/morceau wrote:I didn't visit every sublevel but I was able to get every exit and everything looked and played as it should (as far as I can tell). You did a great job. I do think it would be better to have the patch so that it's to be applied to SMW rather than VIP 1, though.

Some minor things:
-Many of the warp stars have a string of As instead of a name.
-Thrill Life.
-The Submerge-Trick Castle (?).
-Taquila should be Tequila (in the cocktail bar message).
I intended to patch against SMW! My mistake! Musta selected the wrong source file!

-Not sure why... I copied and pasted a bunch there, so I'll take a look
-Derp
-That is an accurate translation, but it is awkward. It's a "trick" (Oyster translated as "device," also valid, but contextually trick makes more sense) that sinks the castle, theoretically. I'd be open for another suggestion
-Fiiiiiiine. I don't drink okay =P.

Since these are basically spelling errors I'll pop in the ROM and do them tomorrow or something.

derjet

Postby derjet » 4 years ago

Wow, man, I finally got the gimmick on Slippin' (3-3), finally that level makes sense to me.

Totally waiting for the other VIPs

AUS

Postby AUS » 4 years ago

Raocow playing VIP a third time on camera is such a hilarious concept to me. It feels absurd1, but it makes sense with the new translations. I understand that the translation reason is basically just an excuse to play something beloved again, but still. It does make sense~~...

1. Absurdity is my favorite humor
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Well the two spelling errors are fixed and I'm officially working on VIP 2... Shouldn't take too long, especially since I don't have like anything to do tomorrow.

I could not get the Star Roads to fix. I'm not sure why. It isn't too important, they just all read " AAAAAAAAA" - if someone has a fix, I'll apply it. Otherwise I'm basically done VIP 1.

Also, I'd totally support a Raocow playthrough~. He's never done it without tools before and that'd just be amazing.

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Re: Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 1 v3.01-Final Translation Released!)

Okay, for this next one... I will need to basically either put things all in caps or figure out how to edit the available characters...

The current set is pretty difficult to use in English. No apostrophe ;_;

Incidentally... For those wondering what the deep plot of VIP 2 is...

derjet

Postby derjet » 4 years ago

I edited some GFX files from VIP 2, so this should have the default SMW characters working:

http://www.mediafire.com/?fw7335bwf3gs4lq
Patch to a clean SMW ROM

Also, you should keep another VIP 2 with the japanese characters around, since you won't be able to read any messages in this one

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

derjet wrote:I edited some GFX files from VIP 2, so this should have the default SMW characters working:

http://www.mediafire.com/?fw7335bwf3gs4lq
Patch to a clean SMW ROM

Also, you should keep another VIP 2 with the japanese characters around, since you won't be able to read any messages in this one
Thanks so much! This will be a great help!

Incidentally, I just figured out why the Warp Zones were messing up and I'm uploading (hopefully) the final patch now! 3.10-final - let's hope we caught all the bugs!

morsel/morceau

Re: Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 1 v3.10-Final Translation Released!)

Postby morsel/morceau » 4 years ago

Re: VIP 1, there's a submap (it's 7B) in 1.52 that's impossible to complete by normal means. There's a default map 16 block (it's on screen 07) that's supposed to be a directional coins block (which it was in version 1.51) - I wonder if they were going to replace it with a custom block you could hit multiple times or something. Anyway, to complete this sublevel in its current state you need to bring Yoshi via black magic or jump off a pwitch in midair. Maybe we should fix this?
dont wanna jihad no more

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

morsel/morceau wrote:Re: VIP 1, there's a submap (it's 7B) in 1.52 that's impossible to complete by normal means. There's a default map 16 block (it's on screen 07) that's supposed to be a directional coins block (which it was in version 1.51) - I wonder if they were going to replace it with a custom block you could hit multiple times or something. Anyway, to complete this sublevel in its current state you need to bring Yoshi via black magic or jump off a pwitch in midair. Maybe we should fix this?
Was this something Lunar Magic broke or something they broke? If it isn't something broken by translation... I'm for leaving it in. We'll see if Raocow goes insane P-switch jumping and maybe then we can fix it?

If it's something Lunar Magic screwed up somehow, we better do it I guess x.x

alex2
Banned

It's possible that it's an emulator bug as well. 1.52/1.53 shit all over older hacks all the time.
Warning: Opinions expressed by alex2 or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of alex2 himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
My mosts things:

alex2
Banned

Horikawa Otane wrote:We'll see if Raocow goes insane P-switch jumping
He casually p-switch jumps all the time, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.
My mosts things:

ZaCloud

Re: Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 1 v3.20-Final Translation Released!)

Postby ZaCloud » 4 years ago

I'm curious about the text box for Matanki Park... It seems to contradict itself. Is it really supposed to do that?

If the P-Pakkun are terribly dangerous, why would you then be advised not to fireball or eat them?

I know that's Bowser, but then why the warning about their danger?

"Kiken" is in katakana for some reason... Could it be to emphasize a change in context meaning they are "distinguished people" (instead of "dangerous") and thus worthy of protection instead, combining with the "taihen" (terribly) making them "terribly distinguished people" or VIPs?

I'm not fluent in Japanese at all, so I'm just trying to understand what's going on there.
Thanks. :3
Which voice-in-my-head should I listen to today?

AUS

Postby AUS » 4 years ago

They are an endangered species, is what I thought it meant.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

ZaCloud wrote:I'm curious about the text box for Matanki Park... It seems to contradict itself. Is it really supposed to do that?

If the P-Pakkun are terribly dangerous, why would you then be advised not to fireball or eat them?

I know that's Bowser, but then why the warning about their danger?

"Kiken" is in katakana for some reason... Could it be to emphasize a change in context meaning they are "distinguished people" (instead of "dangerous") and thus worthy of protection instead, combining with the "taihen" (terribly) making them "terribly distinguished people" or VIPs?

I'm not fluent in Japanese at all, so I'm just trying to understand what's going on there.
Thanks. :3
Ermm, think about it this way. The box is King Koopa/Bowser being a dumb.

So he goes all "Man this trap I've laid is super dangerous. WHAHAHAHAHAA. Just don't you dare use fire or eat them 'cuz that'd ruin it!"

And later he's all "If you go through the gate quickly it'd be great for you... So don't you dare do it, okay!"

I'm paraphrasing of course. The katakana is generally unimportant - for instances like this imagine that word just being in caps is all. It's emphatic, to use a linguistic-y term.

(aaaalmost done VIP 2 btw)
(EVERYONE be sure to vote in the community Questionairre! It affects my translation!)

ZaCloud

Postby ZaCloud » 4 years ago

Horikawa Otane wrote:(Elaboration)
Sweeeet, I see now. Thanks. :D
AUS wrote:They are an endangered species, is what I thought it meant.
I thought so too before I started learning Japanese, it would've been a cute gimmick. But, that would be phrased differently (I fail at grammar though, so I can't say how, unfortunately), probably even using the actual term for endangered species (zetsumetsu kigushu, I think).
Which voice-in-my-head should I listen to today?

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Re: Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 1 v3.26-Final Translation Released!)

For the record, I am on-schedule to get VIP 2 translated by this weekend.

There are a couple text boxes that are EXCEPTIONALLY hard to translate and one or two stage names that are quite tough. There was one box that I had SERIOUS problems fitting stuff into, so it may not make as much sense as I would like. However, I think it's fine.

VIP 2 is a more difficult beast than VIP 1 by far, but I'm also more prepared to handle it. I'm pretty confident in the product as of now and it's even got hacked boss attacks for the final boss battle~.

Also, it appears that no stages require reconstruction! Yay!

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Re: Oyster-Free VIP! (VIP 1 v3.26-Final Translation Released!)

I take that back. I managed to figure a couple nasty translations out (the flavour text is the hardest part and takes the most time and it's now done) and did my best guess on one (native speakers aren't sure and unfortunately I can't keep it ambiguous in English, so... I had to make a choice and I did the one that made the most sense), so...

I think I will have it done tonight-ish. Soon as I figure out like two or three level names and re-edit the boss message boxes to have a less wide M for "Mash Y."

edit:

All names and cultural notes are in.
Just need to edit that M and we'll have a patch incoming.

Return to “the cartridgé”