(shouting)

OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

Post by AUS »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouy ... me-console
Watch the video. It's an open-source console, the kickstarter was opened today with a goal of 950K and it's very nearly there. It'll be there by tomorrow most definitely. EDIT: As of this edit, it's more than triple its goal.

It's fun to just watch the numbers count up on refresh. I'm very excited about this.
Last edited by AUS 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Paperkoopa

Re: OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

Post by Paperkoopa »

Okay, that looks interesting. Might be an inexpensive alternative to todays consoles and the amount of Indie-games makes it even more interesting. Indies were mainly a PC-only genre so far (except for that Xbox stuff that's way too expensive) so it's always nice to see the not-so-well-known developers getting more attention.

Too bad I hardly use my TV for playing video games, the PC has Steam after all. ;)
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Seems interesting enough. Not sure how it'll turn out, but I'll most likely buy one. I mean, for $99 it's not that big of a deal if I wasted my money.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

They've made their pledge goal now. Color me not surprised.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Meh. I was interested in the idea of a new console hitting the scene but I'm not a fan of the free-to-play model. I'll pass.

I wish them the best of luck against the big three though.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Aw shit this looks like a dream coming true to me.
I love independent game development, I love DRM-free software, and Sony and Microsoft's recent stance of controlling their users' consoles over the internet really upsets me.
If this succeeds in all the goals it's established for itself, this project is definitely going to spawn a very interesting and money-worth console.
Not to mention it's only 99$ at that!

Does this project happen to have any sort of website? I can't seem to find much over google...
Qwarq

Post by Qwarq »

I did console development for a little while, and the amount of hoops even an established company has to jump through is completely ridiculous. That, combined with the exploding cost of games, has really stifled the console market lately. I love that they're pushing back against that.

My only concern is it's ability to pull in the mass market. Most people aren't going to go out and buy a console, even for a mere $100, if they see it as "HD Angry Birds - on your TV!". As popular as Angry Birds is, it's a pretty shallow game (same with many mobile games). What they need is games with good recognition and more depth in order for the platform to be taken more seriously by the average Joe. Minecraft is a great start on that front and I hope they can keep that up.

I still do some game development as a hobby, so even if it doesn't go as mainstream as the existing consoles, I'm pretty excited since it'll be a plus for the indie community either way.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Holy hell I just realized - that kickstarter page started merely 2 days ago!
They raised 2 million dollars in 2 days.
I-is that the power of kickstarter?!
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Yes.
Lots of success stories like that on kickstarter.
Just ask Tim Schafer, haha.

Edit: Also there are a lot of good points in the posts below my first one. I dunno! I'll agree that security has been getting pretty ridiculous lately, and I love indie games myself! I just... really don't like the free-to-play model. I don't like how it's like "Okay so you get to play this small section of the game heeeere, but if you want more you can always pay more." I just want to pay for the full game at a decent cost. It seems to me like you could really sink MORE money into a free-to-play game, then an all-new triple A title that you buy for 60$. That frightens me. One of my friends just sunk a ton of cash into Maplestory, I mean, really?
And like, it is free-to-play, you don't have to sink in any money at all most times, but what if they entice you enough to where you DO want to sink money in? I don't want that choice.

I truly hope they allow non-free-to-play games on the console. Minecraft has a model that I actually like because that was a one-time cost for a truly massive game. If they have more games with THAT kind of model, consider me interested.

Edit 2: ALSO ALSO, does everybody remember the rumors on a Valve console? We might be getting TWO new systems on the market!
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

It really depends on what the developer feels.
Developers can offer a free demo with a full-game upgrade, in-game items or powers, or ask you to subscribe.
I'd probably offer a free demo with the rest of the game for like a buck. :P
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

AUS wrote:It really depends on what the developer feels.
Developers can offer a free demo with a full-game upgrade, in-game items or powers, or ask you to subscribe.
I'd probably offer a free demo with the rest of the game for like a buck. :P
Oh yes, I like this a lot. The free demo option is just fantastic.
Okay yeah if they have games on there that I want I'm getting this.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

3 million $ in one day holy shit

Kinda curious to see how this will turn out. Not too interested in having games I already have on my computer on the TV just for the sake on having them on the TV but we'll see what other stuff it'll be able to do

Also OUYA is like the best name ever

Dollop of Mayo

Post by Dollop of Mayo »

Hey guys, I'm designing a console too. It's called the SLIPPY FART because like, the dumber the name, the more success it will find, so I'm going whole hog. Watch out Wii U and OUYA. SLIPPY FART is coming for you!

It'll be a revolutionary new concept where

Anyway it seems like what they're trying to market is a smart phone that only plays games on your TELEVISION. That lady liked to say TELEVISION a lot. I mean I'm all for the little guy getting into the industry and showing the big publishers that they are dumb, evil dinosaurs.

But uh, like, where are the examples of games? All I saw was a woman blabbing on about a CONCEPT. They haven't, like, pieced together a prototype? Did nearly $4 million as of typing this just get shunted into the void?

WHO CARES, ALL I HAVE IS A NAME, AND THAT NAME IS SLIPPY FART, GIVE ME YOUR MONEY
The nature of the signature is significant and natural.
http://dollopofmayo.tumblr.com/ - I put comics here because they demand it.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

DancingMad wrote:But uh, like, where are the examples of games? All I saw was a woman blabbing on about a CONCEPT. They haven't, like, pieced together a prototype? Did nearly $4 million as of typing this just get shunted into the void?
Actually, they do mention that they have a prototype built in the video, and show some menu footage. Whether the 4 million are gonna be put to good use is another entirely different thing, mind you, but the kickstarter funding time isn't even over yet and apparently people are still pumping money into this despite it having reached its goal more than 4 times over.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

My console would have been called the S System, shaped like the letter S, and be absolutely massive.

I do like the same I came of with for it.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

People are wasting their time coming up with names, but the best way to attract customers is to make them WANT to play your console. You know, like controllers that release caffeine and nicotine to be absorbed by your skin or something.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Why harp on the name? Unlike the Wii, Xbox, and Playstation consoles, Ooo-yuh is actually fun to say.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Am i the only one who pronounces it like it's japanese
It makes it sound like you're always going off on a tangent when you ask someone to play it
"Hey, wanna play angry birds with me on the -- oh yah, i forgot i had something else to do, nvm"
can YOU use the packet sauce?
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Using it to play Angry Birds would be such a waste of its potential. :lol:
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Bartle wrote:I don't know a single person IRL who thinks the console will do well. Angry Birds is too prominent for anyone to think of it as anything other than the Angry Birds console.
Translation, you know a lot of ignorant people.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

AUS wrote:
Bartle wrote:I don't know a single person IRL who thinks the console will do well. Angry Birds is too prominent for anyone to think of it as anything other than the Angry Birds console.
Translation, you know a lot of ignorant people.
AUS bought stocks yo.
DeadlyLampshade

Post by DeadlyLampshade »

This is not a bad idea, really. I'd much rather throw my money at this $99 good idea than even support the other more expensive plain ideas out there.
"If you want to be taken seriously in the great modern world of ours, you'll need to learn how to face facts, by charging at them with a hammer or a screwdriver, freaking plunging it in the wall, and people will ask you, "what the hell are you doing?", you don't even answer them, you just keep on plugging at the wall, once you get rid of your house in that fashion you'll probably be commited, and you'll be set for life!"
-raocow
Cadwyn

Post by Cadwyn »

I'm always excited to hear about these sorta projects, it seems like consoles have been a dead zone for indie games since indie game publishing has been around. But then, I also thought that cloud computing console was a good idea, and I haven't heard hide nor hair of it in years, so time will tell I guess.

Kinda wish they could put up proof for how great their controller is though. Like a quarter of the video was just about the controller, and it'll be hard to stand up to the awesomeness that is the Xbox controller. If it can't at least hook up to Windows and just play that's a huge uphill battle for them.
sschol

Post by sschol »

On one hand, it has terrible specs and may be phone: the TV, but on the other, I'm really really interested in it because if we're lucky it might end up almost as an SNES 2 (in that it has a lot of good original and pretty games, not that it's a OH MAN DON'T YOU REMEMBER THESE VIDEO GAMES). I say this because the hardware isn't so great but will certainly be able to handle a good 2D game, and I think developers will probably tend towards them for this. Of course I could be wrong and it may end up as actually phone: the TV and gross looking triple A titles for the masses but I have some high hopes for an actual gaming renaissance not held down by the minecraft idea of an indie game.
[looking at every post i ever made] [crying and wishing i could delete posts]im seriously so so sorrythis is ont a joke i am being serious
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

sschol wrote:phone: the TV
It's more like the ouya features phone: the TV as a side gig. All the random crap, then the SDK for games, and also android apps.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"