(shouting)

Nintendo is the future with the Wii U

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
freelop

Nintendo is the future with the Wii U

Post by freelop »

AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Re: Nintendo is the future with the Wii U

Post by AUS »

OK, that video was fantastic. I am reasonably hyped, and also that video was fantastic.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Can't wait for Pikmin 3.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

yes pikmin 3 is a thing that is needed
also ssb4
also animal crossing but that's 3ds
can YOU use the packet sauce?
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

I couldn't stop laughing when they streamed this. Godsdamn they were going for a funny advertisement with their signature quirky humor and by golly gosh they NAILED IT. PERHAPS TOO MUCH EVEN.

The only thing I'm happy for the actual thing they're advertising is the circle sticks being changed, other than that... Nintendo is unabashedly embracing their casual audience. I'll still buy it probably, much to my chagrin, if only for the new Paper Mario, new SSB, new Mario and new Zelda.

They've managed to keep the actual gamers just because of their main franchises, whilst also bringing in the casual audience with all of the gimmickry of the system. Gods dammit they're brilliant.
Dollop of Mayo

Post by Dollop of Mayo »

My favorite part is where the people talked exactly like actual people talk

tbh honest I think maybe this is some sort of meta sendup of that awful Big Bang Theory show? Which might be an ironic sendup of how Hollywood portrays nerds? Man I never thought of it like that. I mean if that's true BBT is fucking genius and not utter tripe like I had previously thought. And thereby a commercial with the veneer of awfulness in the same mold as BBT is either like, extra super genius or like, just dumb because it doesn't get that BBT is genius. SO MANY LAYERS
The nature of the signature is significant and natural.
http://dollopofmayo.tumblr.com/ - I put comics here because they demand it.
Bagi80

Post by Bagi80 »

I'll be buying this for sure, just as long as we get some original content rather than tons of remakes. Yes mr 3ds, I'm looking at you.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I was actually expecting something good after reading your posts.

Yeah pikmin 3 is something I'm interested in but they'd better have more than that. It's already likely I'm gonna get a 3DS just for 2 games (paper mario and fire emblem) so unless the announced games are actually good I'll probably take a pass on this one

Also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... tdDI#t=96s

"Kidding, it's me Wareng"

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Price point will be a big issue with me, but Nintendo already said they won't be announcing that at E3. I'm sure I'll get the machine eventually, but I do like what they're saying the controller will offer. You know I'll be there the moment that fourth NSMB hits anyway.
kilon

Post by kilon »

I think they are going to miss the boat with this one. At least as far as gaming is concerned. The Wii didn't have much new game franchises to go with, nor does the 3DS. And the things I see from the Wii U aren't impressing me either. Although the whole idea of mixing a tablet with a console is really nice.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

kilon wrote:Although the whole idea of mixing a tablet with a console is really nice.
To be honest, it's the idea that I find quite terrible about this.
The tablet is more than 10 inches wide and apparently quite heavy, and you're supposed to use it as a motion-sensor as well as using the touchscreen AND the built-in controlpad.
Personally, I see this as a massive overload to put onto the player. I also don't see the benefit of the touch screen at all, everything that can be done with the screen can be done with the controlpad too, and people who want more "interactivity" can just shake it around like mad.

It's like if someone looked at the Wii controller and said:
"You know, we've got standard controls, motion controls, a weird nunchuck addon... What is there left we HAVEN'T added to that console yet?"
And then the janitor who just so happened to enter the room at that point said:
"I KNOW! WHAT IF YOU ADDED A TOUCHSCREEN? YOU KNOW. LIKE WITH THE DS. OR THE DS LITE. OR THE DSi. OR THE DSi XL! OR THE 3DS!"

Can't wait for the 3D-Wii u, guys.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

They already announced a classic controller that's basically their version of the PS3/360 controller, so it's not like it's that big of an issue. Still, I'm not worried about that part of things. Nintendo always designs their consoles to be able to create the games they want to make. With the controller option available, hopefully that will entice third-party companies to not leave Nintendo hanging... but I'm sure they'll find some excuse like they always do.
kilon

Post by kilon »

So it'll be more like how often will the game producers try to shove the new gimmick down your throat without it benefiting the gameplay and when do they realize they don't need to (over)use it.. Fair enough.. Because a second screen in itself can come in handy for say an inventory.
Until you're in a heated boss battle where you are focussed on the main screen and need a heath potion, which forces you to look at the controller. Which can be vital seconds. Because unlike hotkeys a touchscreen gives you less feel of where on the screen you are pointing.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

kilon wrote:So it'll be more like how often will the game producers try to shove the new gimmick down your throat without it benefiting the gameplay and when do they realize they don't need to (over)use it.. Fair enough.. Because a second screen in itself can come in handy for say an inventory.
Until you're in a heated boss battle where you are focussed on the main screen and need a heath potion, which forces you to look at the controller. Which can be vital seconds. Because unlike hotkeys a touchscreen gives you less feel of where on the screen you are pointing.
If you use the item inventory enough and the slots for things are in the same position always, I think you'd memorize where the health potion is. Even without the tactile feel of a button you can still get the position of something ingrained in your brain.

I'm already seeing some okay functionality from the touchscreen, personally:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi1snHeoQf8

I love the idea of it as just an inventory or menu screen better though, as well. I dunno. I'm really split on the WiiU. I kinda wish they'd just stuck with a regular controller but eh, oh well.
(There will never be another controller as great as the Gamecube controller.)

Also hey Nintendo's conference is today and I'm not getting any sleep for it. Yay!...?...! Watching Miyamoto while out of my mind with sleep deprivation is going to be an experience.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

It was a good presentation to start, but it really needed another "hit" title to go along with the Pikmin 3 and NSMBU showcases... unless you count Ubisoft's Rayman Legends which did look great. Still, I was totally expecting Retro to have a non-Sakamoto Metroid or Donkey Kong Country title at the end, but it never came. It was a bit of a letdown, to be honest, and I found myself enjoying the footage of the 3DS games more.

Edit: Reznor's back in NSMB2 on the 3DS. Sold. Okay, it was already sold since it's a Mario game, but yeah. I'm also digging the emphasis on coin collecting in that one.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Both the nsmb games looked really good, but i'm still mad there was no zelda, metroid, or pokemon (BECAUSE TOP SELLING FRANCHISE ISNT GOOD ENOUGH FOR E3 HUH)

Also rayman legends was cool, did anyone else notice in the ubisoft conference gameplay that the sliding part was synced to the music? I really love it when developers show that much detail in their games, it reminds me of <just about everything from the team who made DKJB>.

I am probably most excited about nsmb2 since it is coming out august and is about capitalism. Seriously he said "mario's all about the gold, hes gonna be the best and get all the gold" i am sure this is a subtle jab at how much money nintendo can make from these
can YOU use the packet sauce?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Well, Zelda not being there was pretty much a given since they used that card up at the end of the Wii with Skyward Sword.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Pikmin 3 is enough to make me content.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

That's kind of what I'm thinking here, although add NSMBU and Rayman to the list for me. They've shown as much as they did with the Wii's release in 2006. It's just that they were only showing launch window titles from what I could gather, and out of all the companies, they're the only one that seems to be targeting everyone this year.

Both Sega's one game and Retro's were taken out of the conference due to their current states. Still, the ones going that Nintendo is doomed yet again have me scratching my head. Underwhelming performance, but it's certainly not the end of the world... or the company.
Paperkoopa

Post by Paperkoopa »

I agree, though the lack of Metroid is quite dissapointing. Also it seems that Nintendo isn't intrested in the Star Fox franchise anymore, although I've heard that they planned to make something new in case Star Fox 64 3ds sells good.
I'm pretty sure though, that they've still got something intresting left. (At least I hope so)
Unless they announce something completely amazing, I will most likely not be interested.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Can we hijack this as the general E3 thread? Attention is already dying down but-

Ubisoft blew it out of the park completely game-wise in my opinion.
(They chose horribly spokespersons in my opinion)
(Absolutely dreadful really)
Seriously, Watch Dogs seems pretty neat, AC3, Rayman Legends, and Far Cry 3. Four titles that look to be absolutely cool and definitely worth a buy. They had some very casual titles as well but... eh. At least they still cater to both sides of the issue.
Dan

Post by Dan »

I'm looking forward to Nintendo Land and nothing else, except maybe for that Wii U zombie game where you can fight melted-face Reggie Fils-Aime in a DLC
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

^^^
I liked how the software was totally bombing during the presentation, and they just played it off like "It's a zombie! It's supposed to look like that!"
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Here were my thoughts summed up in a post on my YT feed of all places:

Ubisoft was definitely the best. They basically did what Nintendo should have done. Still, I'm not as down on Nintendo's conference as some are, but I was confused by their unbalanced focus. Having Pikmin for the niche crowd and Mario right off the bat is a good thing, but I think most were expecting more after the long wait.

Sony blew it with trying to make the Vita look relevant while the PS3 lineup looks fine. Microsoft doesn't interest me, but they're doing the same as Nintendo by trotting their main franchises out for another go. Good for them. 3DS looks to be the best platform moving forward. Go figure.