(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Ashan »

Still going back and forth between TTYD and Elden Ring.

TTYD I finished chapter 6 today. Played the boss of the chapter pretty risky -- equipped all my power++ badges including the P-up D-down badge or whatever it's called. Mario only had 20HP and one of the boss's attacks did 10 damage to him, but I managed to kill him in 2.5 turns, including spending
Goombella's first turn on a tattle. Was proud of myself for that

Elden Ring I'm right before Fire Giant. I've been pretty aimless in my routing through the game, just trying to experience enough of the major stuff in the base game to be ready for the DLC drop in a couple of weeks. I also took the opportunity to do the Volcano Manor questline to get the alternate entrance into the Rykard fight, as previously I had only ever done the trip around the castle to get to him. Seems kinda pointless cause the last invasion you have to do is in Mountaintop of the Giants, which means you can't use Rykard's great rune to enter Leyndell I think? Maybe there's routing tricks I don't know about, idk
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Mario Party 3 is closing in on the story end while Make a Good Mega Man Level 3 is just getting underway.
KobaBeach
Diversity Win! Bean the Dynamite Is A Scientologist ‼️
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Secret of Mana Turbo - Did Sage Jacques' trial, the Tree Palace and the Grand Palace. Heading to Mana Holyland.
Image All nations are on a single continent shaped like Australia. Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
backloggery
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

I guess I'm on an igavania kick because I just rolled up a randomized game of Aria of Sorrow. Like I will still defend Harmony of Dissonance as being my favorite of the three GBA games but (as I said before) its map is just a castle filled in with a maze rather than actually being designed - Aria's a bigger castle but it flows way better since the warp points are built into the first visit instead of the unexpected second visit.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Sketcho
Sparkledog Factory
First name: Sketchy
Pronouns: 28

Post by Sketcho »

What do you guys think the least worst williams arcade game on the williams arcade collection for snes is?

I like Joust but Sinistar is the first game that ever made me feel real fear.

You could not ask me to beat more than two levels of defender.

Robotron is ok i guess.

Imagine you're a gamer in 1988 and the only game your town has is Robotron and you have to pay like 5 1980s dollars to play it for two hours.
- Sketcho, bud ▼・ᴥ・▼

##################################################### ---
You Know Sometimes We Just Gotta epic fail To Understand The Nature Of Our Efforts.
-Super Mario (world)
Ive been here for like 15 years and I just got here.
--- #####################################################
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Sketcho wrote: 2 days ago Imagine you're a gamer in 1988 and the only game your town has is Robotron and you have to pay like 5 1980s dollars to play it for two hours.
if i was in 1988 and i had to play robotron i would simply boot up my dreamcast and bangai-o
backloggery
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Secret of Mana Turbo - Alas, dropped (maybe)

I'm not super mad at the game, I had fun with what existed before this it's just that. The Dragon Wyrm is dogshit? I'm sure there's a good solution to it, maybe I should just raise my Sylphid magic more as Popoi(e), I might give that a shot later, but I'm at least gonna take a break for now.

I have my Secret of Mana Turbo set up to have seamless magic casting, and that results in the Wyrm being able to constantly spam its bullshit, Balloon status, petrification, micronizing+Moogle, high level magic attacks... It's the same feeling I get from FF-style ATB, where I just get endlessly pelted with attacks without being able to dodge and without the pause from pure Turn Based to get a breather to think of a good strategy so I can catch up, and it feels like eating someone else's vomit.

Only in FF-style ATB, I do have like. The ability to go into a submenu to force a pause if I have Wait selected in Config, like RTwP would allow me to do in Infinity Engine games.

I'm gonna zone out to Ocarina of Time for now (maybe Hydlide II grind with the Ghouls and NPCs to get better Armor?), and then see if I can work on Sylphid's magic a bit when I'm feeling better rested. Not in the mood for pure Turn Based or ATB rn (Strategy/Tactical is fine, but I'm not in the mood for Summon Night 3/Astonishia DOS/Arc the Lad 2/Front Mission).
backloggery
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Finished Aria of Sorrow. I think I said this before but while it's the better game, the grinding rubs me the wrong way so I'll be sticking to Harmony of Dissonance.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I FINALLY fixed the shoulder buttons on my DSi (which was an adventure in of itself) so I continued my long-neglected playthrough of Chrono Trigger DS. Same Chrono Trigger, same fun. Doing something different this playthrough, that is
I am not resurrecting Crono and I accidentally killed Janus/Magus lol. I selected the wrong option and fought him to death

And I started new playthroughs of Oblivion and Skyrim. Thinking of restarting my Morrowind playthrough since my save started getting buggy and crashy. I do also have a playthrough of PEAK VIDEOGAMING Arena, but... I kinda saved myself into a corner and I don't feel like picking myself out of it lmao.
Noelle
I only exist inside those people who are aware of my existence.
First name: No-L
Pronouns: she/bog witch ❦

Post by Noelle »

raekuul wrote: 4 days ago Thanks for the suggestions, and yeah, this challenge probably works the best in Yellow.
:ace_pride: "No matter where you go, everyone is connected."
:mgmnds:

You are too big to be a slug.

lifelike noise
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

HatKid wrote: 1 day ago I do also have a playthrough of PEAK VIDEOGAMING Arena, but... I kinda saved myself into a corner and I don't feel like picking myself out of it lmao.
sounds normal for tes1 i think

I might restart my FFVI playthrough too, idk why but I want a complete PokéDex Rage and Blue Magic menu like a complete stupid fucking moron shithead piece of trash (I'M JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M JOKE I DON'T HATE MYSELF THIS MUCH)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Finished the vore level.

33 Skulltulas, Deku Stick, Nut and Bomb upgrades, 15 Heart Pieces, Spin Slash, Din's Fire, Farore's Wind. Also got Bombchu, Stone of Agony, Silver Scale, maxed out my Magic Beans, finished the Bombchu Bowling minigame and the Fishing Pond Heart Piece. Current mask I have is the Bunny Hood and I set up a song for the Scarecrow (ULDR ULDR).

I used savestates on Bombchu, but it was fun, I just wish you didn't have to expend rupees for it. Getting the first Heart Piece you come across on Zora's River is super funny because, tossing the Cucco partway through to latch on at the last second is the sort of non-tutorialized thing I expect from a romhack that uses more advanced mechanics that aren't obvious in a normal playthrough of a game, like say, a JUMP Team collab. And it's honestly pretty good.

Cleaning up the Past for now before heading to the Temple of Time.
backloggery
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Final Fantasy VI - Did two of the three scenarios, and got what I could of Gau's Rage skill set. If I'm not mistaken (and I probably am) I just have the following to find:

Areneid - North Figaro
Dark Wind - North Figaro
Sand Ray - North Figaro
Rhodox - South Figaro
Gold Bear - Figaro Cave second visit

I can deal with North Figaro on Terra's scenario, the other two I'll have to loop back after the Battle of Narshe (maybe after getting the Blackjack). Also did the wounded soldier's letters sidequest in Mobliz.

Getting all rages sucks dick but Gambler's Fallacy. I'm so glad I'm using an HTML guide instead of txt files.
backloggery
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Final Fantasy VI - Didn't do too much progress, but did Terra and Locke's scenario, the battle at Narshe and the events at Zozo. Maining Gau/Celes/Locke before heading to the Opera House, some magic already learned.

The plot is so good....

Currently looking for the following on the Veldt for Rage List purposes before moving on, already encountered them all in the main overworld, everything else encountered until now is obtained:
Dark Side
Rinn
Spectre
Gold Bear
Bounty Man
Fidor
Tropper
Red Fang

Pondering what to boot up rn, maybe Hydlide II. Fallout 1 would be nice (as it's an actual good game compared to Hyd2), but I could also boot up LoH5: A Cagesong of the Ocean.

Also in the mood for some Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst, gotta see if my Ephinea credentials are still good, but I may postpone it for when I clear up more of a game or two, even if this specific MMO has an end due to being in a private server.

I love the PSO1 NPC and character designs, I wish the PSO2 designs weren't so samey looking on the faces and general vibes. Too many elf-ish fair skinned Newman and Human twinks and petite girls, let me see some variance. The Beasts in PSU/PSP1&2 weren't too furry but they were pretty interesting and cool looking (neat mix of the bara and shorty MMO race tropes).

Will definitely force a dopey old man into my player character's design if I ever get sucked into that hellhole, as much as I like Casts (robot boyfriends...).

Will deffo start Phantasy Star III soon, it may be that time... Hold out for me Wren, you big doofus!
backloggery
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Hydlide II - They really made this game huh

Best equipment got, dungeon under the boulder done, and dungeon in the waterway to kill Azer (he's a shithead but Pr*J*red wasn't wrong when he brought up D&D for Hydlide 1's Stirges) for the Green Crystal. I thought I'd have to grind for a key to get the Green Crystal, due to already using one key to unlock the path to the correct Azer (the other one just nets you an extra key, timewaster).

And grinding for extra Keys depends on drops from Orcs in the Tower which is an ordeal since they're more likely to drop Salves, and the 5th Floor layout is Ass, so Orcs are prone to leaving offscreen and thus despawning, you have to repeatedly leave to the floor below and then check the right half of the screen if you want them to spawn semi-regularly. And even then I was at it for like an hour with nothing but Salves to show for it.

The boulder dungeon thankfully had an extra key in a chest, and that got the job done. I'd say imagine this game but without the terrible crunch that went into it, but that game exists and it's literally called Hydlide 3 (Super Hydlide if you're nasty), and it's the dinkiest fucking Action RPG ever and if you like weird ass games with mechanics that barely work but are still relatively fun, you should play it.

----------

I also found a solution for Secret of Mana Turbo's Dragon Wyrm and it MAY be Dryad's Wall spell.

Some of the spells got shuffled around but you do get Wall with Dryad still. It's too broken lmao but everything before it can be handled by being fastidious with enemies, give or take a bit of mindless levelling up. Moon Energy did get shunted to Dryad with a rename for balance issues though (and also for rebalancing, Lumina has Revivifier due to the increased difficulty, much appreciated).

Will give it a shot soon.
backloggery
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i beat dragon wyrm (secret of mana turbo) and please know it involved
  1. spamming wall so if anything, the earth slide spell got reflected
  2. spamming thunderbolt as popoi
  3. wrangling item heals because the bastard moves in diagonals and for some reason has a hurtbox covering its entire body
who ever thought this was good boss design should have their balls shot clean off
a rare koba is mad at video games moment, i "love" it when romhackers confuse strategy with making bullshit unbearable by design

im approaching mana holyland with the utmost caution and I REALLY fucking need a breather rn

EDIT: mana holyland cleared >:)
backloggery