(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Bean
Yep.

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Bean »

And got 120% in Spyro the Dragon. This is one case where I prefer the remake with the Reignited Trilogy version thanks to a better camera and just being able to gauge my jumps better. The PS1 wasn't exactly great with textures in some cases, and they don't mesh well with my vision. Still got it done fairly quickly though. Back to playing some golf.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Legend of Heroes III - At the Hawktalon since yesterday. Taking my time to translate+transcribe dialogue with the help of my recordings, and write a walkthrough for the game. The translation is still only just past the first two encounters west of Ragpick, but, I'll do it at my own pace. May need to replay the game to find any missing dialogue. I should learn how to dump text but...

Might play today:
* Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1
* Trails in the Sky FC
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Side Pocket since that got added to NSO's Super Nintendo games. Save states were used at the start of each round. Kind of cheating, but completed it. You should've realized games would get official in-game saves in a digital edition thirty years later, Data East.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Dragon Quest - Beat it at a low level... ish.

The record for the SNES version is 17 since that's when you get Healmore but that's like 35% and I didn't want to grind it out lmao

Image Image
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

FFTA: one of the fun things about this "buy skills with JP" mod is that you can seriously up-punch through the story. I'm consistently five levels behind the mission enemies now but because I have consistent ways of pairing sleep/stop with frog/death it's kind of a non-issue? but I definitely need to grind up for Mateus, there's not much I can do to cheese that fight and it's one of the few times that I'm guaranteed to run into undead which I still need for their Blue Magic abilities.

Spelunky 2: I managed to uncork another spelunker and I got the Qilin to the Tiamat fight! But I screwed up the timing on the lightning barrier and got the Qilin killed before I could transcend through to Sunken City. I think my next goal is a Volcana -> Anubis trek to get the alien compass registered. Oy do I not like dealing with Anubis.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

me absolutely twisted smithing a load of dull swords
me waking up the next day with a room full of dull swords

cw unhinged ass post

Star Ocean - First I did a low level run based on this dude, ちーな (china)'s RTA (speedrun) doc, which you can find here but it was way too risky and built for people who can menu at a rapid speed, which Man I'm Garbage At Star Ocean 1 Menuing.

(DeJap terminology from here on out, just for simplicity)

So I'm "playing by ear" for now, no semi-solo runs for now. Started out by going through the early game as normal, got the chests south of Clatos (scoring a Necklace in the process) and the hidden Ruby in front of Cool, along with the the chests on the way to said town, as well as the Talisman chest behind a plant at the Clatos weapon shop (forgot to take away Ronixis' gear FUUUUCK). Equipped the Talisman and Necklace on Ratix to boost his Evasion and Defense. The six mandatory battles raised Ratix and Milly to around Lv3-4.

After the Planet Stream nonsense, I got the chests at past!Clato for a Blackberry, 420 Fol and some Spectacles. Decided to ask the old lady for girl clothes since it sounded the funniest/most dangerous if it was IRL, though the speed strat is picking the second option when replying to Iria and swiping from the drying laundry outside of the old lady's house. Heading to Hot, we still ran from most battles.

Doing the nonsense to get Cius, I get the Skills at the Skill shop and work on increasing CON through Patience, STR through Kitchen Knife, and berry healing capabilities through Herbal Medicine (turns out that doesn't affect it in battle ;w; ) as well as unlocking running in the field by levelling up Gale once. Fighting a few battles, we make it to Portmis, retrieve the Bunny statue, take it back to Hot, go all the way back, and peruse Portmis.

I may have used the money I had to buy new gear. Ideally you'll want a Saber, a couple Banded Mails, and a Round Shield. If you can I'd pick up some extra Flare Bombs if you're running low, they pack a wallop, china's speedrun uses them quite a bit. Clearing the Velcant Hideout, we recover most of the chests, but triggering the event flag for Perisie didn't let me go back for the other ones ;;.

The Velcant boss took a few tries. Not sure if I levelled up for em, I may have been around Lv11-12. Being good at timing your Flare Bomb throws so they hit the target is good, Blaze Sword helps, Chi Kung Fist may be okay, Rift Wave was eh. Keep trying and make sure to level up STR and CON. Got Peri's Ocarina since I want her, but I did not get the Saint Elmo, sadly, wasn't aware of it. Moving on from Moore (Muah) to Astral.

I avoided the arena due to not wanting to level up too much, so we moved on and headed to Astral, much to Cius' distaste. Meeting up with Fear (and cackling at the text because I named Cius "racist"), we go through the Astral Caves. I had an easier time working my way through it this time, but I still had to miss out on a lot of chests. The knights and Black Widow were the literal worst.

I had to grind a bit for Blueberries since the stores were all closed aside from the inn, need to figure out if the inn opens up anything by sleeping there. I was around Lv14 and not very prepared for the Black Widow. The Stropers were a non issue but the Widow kept murking me. Eventually I got lucky, maybe some levelling up helped? I forget. Trading the Sinclair for the Long Sword+1, I decide to not get Fear, for now.

Got a Claymore, got a Chinese Gi, got two Banded Helms, got two Ring Mails, got two Iron Greaves, got the Ruby Wand for later, I'm heading to Parj Temple. But its very hard. The Magi are completely bonkers, so I may have to look at my strategies for now. I've stocked up on Blueberries and I'm trying to trigger the "meeting Joshua at the cliffside event". I may not go for Joshua just so I can get Tinek but.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MID POST UPDATE: i booted up bsnes to look at the stats and

Okay so I have Joshua for now. I found a Smith Hammer in the Astral overworld, invested in Art (to clone stuff), Cooking (to make dosh), and Smithing (oh god). So far my current strategy is to clone my current Smith Hammers, Resurrection Bottles, possibly Rebirth Dolls (im not calling them reverse dolls) and current available Smithing minerals with Magic Colors that I can buy at Tataroy, while making up money by bullying Iria into making nothing but booze with Grain for quick dosh, when I'm able to I'll try to invest in a Violin to clone it by the thousands.

So far in terms of smithing materials I have Damascus and Moonite, but it's good enough for decently strong weapons. I should be able to get the following out of it using the Moonite:

Code: Select all

Saber        -> Long Sword +1 / +2 -> Moon Falux (700 ATK + Holy Elemental)
Orihalcon is slightly better and usable in Customization

Claymore     -> Claymore +1 / +2   -> Berserk Sword (810 ATK, several hits)
Meteorite is slightly better
Mithril is usable in Customization

Hard Knuckle -> Knuckle +1 / +2    -> Dragon Claw (550 ATK)
Rune Metal is usable in Customization (by Ronixis)
The only issue is that the chances of it working are very low, even at Lv10 with the Originality talent. So I've set up a hotkey in bsnes to reset faster and keep gaming the RNG. I'm pretty sure I did this for SO2 and other games in the past, so it's not a problem.

I'll need Customize later to make better weapons for the rest of the party (Ratix, Cius, Ronixis, Milly, Marvel, Perisie, Tinek), maybe Alchemy to make some Orihalcon and such, and Crafting to make some accessories and we should be good enough.

So far here's other places I can find Smithing material:
  • Damascus - it's free real estate
  • Meteorite - Between Tataroy and Tropp, and Parj Inner Sanctum (should be coming up to it soon, but I can also hop skip and jump straight to the oasis near Tropp to look for it, or where ever else it may be)
  • Mithril - I'll have to wait for the Trial Labyrinth, can't be cloned at all
  • Moonite - it's free real estate
  • Orihalcon - can be made through Alchemy, I'll wait until Demon World to clone it
  • Rune Metal - "between Astral and Tataroy" need to find this bitch
And what I'll need to make the weapons to be Customized:
Ra -> Orihalcon
Ci -> Mithril
Ir -> Rune Metal through Ronixis, bc they're gay (straight) for eachother
Ma -> Rainbow Diamond (just the gem itself)
Pe -> Orihalcon
Ti -> Orihalcon
As -> Mithril (not on my party, I have Cius)
Fe -> Rune Metal (not on my party)

Josh (not on my party) and Milly's best staves are purchasable in Sylvalant, and Ronixis' best bows can be found in Revorse Tower (main game) and Seven Star Ruins (post-game), as the three are spellcasters.

Current Party loadout:
Ratix "Beyoncé" Farrence
Level 19
Max HP 1140
Max MP 117

STR 104
INT 33
AGL 60
CON 91
GUTS 13
STAM 46

ATK 304
DEF 135
ACC 70
EVA 70

Talents:
Originality
Sense of Taste
Design Sense

Equip:
Long Sword +1
Ring Mail
Round Shield
Banded Helm
Iron Greaves
Talisman
Necklace
Max MP 123

STR 103
INT 25
AGL 76
CON 88
GUTS 36
STAM 46

ATK 203
DEF 123
ACC 76
EVA 12

Talents:
Sense of Taste
Writing Ability

Equip:
Hard Knuckle
Chinese Gi
Boots
Max MP 120

STR 112
INT 25
AGL 97
CON 98
GUTS 29
STAM 30

ATK 242
DEF 128
ACC 97
EVA 14

Talents:
Sixth Sense

Equip:
Claymore
Ring Mail
Banded Helm
Iron Greaves
Skill Loadout:

Skill:              Ra|Ir|Ci
Biology
Herbal Medicine     4  4  4
Psychology
Mineralogy          6  2  7
Item Lore           1  1  1
Recipe                 9  2
Musical Notation       2
Esthetic Sense
Good Eye               5  1
Playfulness
Danger Sense        2  3  2
Perseverance           1
Patience            7  6  7
Workmanship
Kitchen Knife       6  8  7
Performance
Whistling
Sketching           3     2
Writing             3  6  3
Forging             3     1
Technology          1
Gale                5  5  4
Animal Training
Below the Belt      2  2  3
Strong Blow
Flip                1  1  1
Counterattack
Feint
Mental Training

Unique Skills:
Edarl Style (Ra) 0
Close Combat (Ir) 0
Self-Taught Style (Ci) 0
Ability Levels:
Beyoncé (Ra)
Crafting ★☆☆
Identify ★★★
Authoring ★
Alchemy ★☆☆
Dash ★
Cooking ★☆☆
Art ★
Compounding ★☆☆
Training ★☆☆
Smithing ★☆
Scout ★

Identify Lv4
Authoring Lv3
Dash Lv5 (who cares)
Art Lv3
Smithing Lv5
Scout Lv2
Authoring ★
Alchemy ★☆☆
Dash ★
Cooking ★★★
Music ★☆
Compounding ★☆☆
Training ★★☆
Smithing ★☆
Scout ★

Identify Lv2
Authoring Lv6
Dash Lv5 (who cares)
Cooking Lv7
Scout Lv3
Authoring ★
Alchemy ★☆☆
Dash ★
Cooking ★★★
Music ★☆
Compounding ★☆☆
Training ★☆☆
Smithing ★☆
Scout ★

Identify Lv4
Authoring Lv3
Dash Lv4 (who cares)
Cooking Lv3
Art Lv2
Smithing Lv4
Scout Lv2
Skills that can help:
Stat Up:
Biology - HP
Psychology - MP
Piety - INT
Patience - CON
Perseverance - GUTS
Kitchen Knife - STR
Gale - STM
Workmanship, Writing - AGL

Arts:
Kitchen Knife, Recipe, Good Eye - Cooking (quick money)
Mineralogy, Fairy Lore, Technology - Alchemy (mineral creation for customize)
Sketching - Art (cloning items, ez money with cloning violins)
Writing - Authoring (quick skill level up)
Mineralogy, Workmanship, Esthetic Sense - Crafting (various accessories)
Workmanship, Esthetic Sense, Functionality - Customize (best weapons)
Forging, Mineralogy - Smithing (Image this sucks)
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Started playing Paper Mario today. It's been on my todo list forever but I don't care much for emulating and didn't have enough of a desire to purchase it through official means for years. So once it was announced as part of the NSO subscription I figured I finally have an excuse to play it.

I played TTYD years ago, though never finished it. I had just borrowed it from a kid at school and played a chunk of it, and I didn't really get turn-based RPGs so progress was slow. But I do remember enjoying it, and I definitely want to go back to it at some point (I feel like that game is prime tier for a GC/Wii-era remaster to come at some point like Skyward Sword and Metroid Prime).

I'm like 3 hours in and having fun! It's very simple, as expected. Some stuff is a bit clunky but nothing too annoying. Writing isn't as fun as something like Superstar Saga or even from what I remember in TTYD, but whatever.

Also the game unironically has an oddly meta opening cutscene that is too high-level for even my brain to understand. Like I get that Nintendo likes to think of the Mario cast as actors telling stories, and that's especially the case with Paper Mario, but the intro sets itself up to be like they're telling the story of what's happening in the game, but then Bowser interrupts the retelling of the story to steal the wand, which sets off the events of the game. Like, he broke into the retelling of the story that's being told, and now we're watching a retelling of the retelling being broken into? Does that explanation even make any sense? I gave up trying to figure it out.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Spelunky 2: so the temple of anubis is a lot less scary than I remembered? but that's probably a combination of me being used to it by now and the fact that most of that areas difficulty just outright vanishes if you take your time. I screwed up against Anubis 1 and so couldn't get into The Duat, but still got Au unlocked. I need to keep going Volcana -> Anubis for a while though for alien compass, and I also want to get into The Mothership for the next unlock. Once I get Pilot I can go back to Volcana -> Tide Pool to practice Lava Skip with. (Thematically, The Duat is fascinating, but I really don't like the forced ankh usage. Especially since the self sac isn't to Kali.)

Pokemon Emerald: Went to start a new game, forgot I had a save file already. But it's at Slateport which is probably why I stopped playing to begin with. Nincada, Shroomish, Mudkip, Zubat, Aron.

FFTA: The interminable grind sessions continue. I need one more nu mou still, and I think another viera as well? If I get a random Gadgeteer I'll take one of those too but I won't hold my breath for that. I might have an easier time grinding if I push the plot forward to just before Mateus, for more chances of overworld spawns and contested territories? But I don't want to deal with the full set of laws just yet.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Long while, a combo of travel and just dealing with writing and work has slowed me. Regardless, I am done with Chapter 4 of Paper Mario, which puts me...halfway through the game?

I cleared

Shy Guy's Toy Box

including defeating

Anti Guy

. Took a lot longer than I thought it would, probably because of the backtracking you have to do in that dungeon. The backtracking was kind of a frustrating deal, because it feels a bit unnecessary. At the same time, I probably spent more time last night than I should've looking for Star Pieces once I figured out that

tile stomping is a thing

, so maybe that's what soured me. I probably won't take as much time doing that tonight or tomorrow.

That said, one benefit I have over raocow is NSO's save-scumming, which I mainly use for

earning cash at Jump Attack

. This makes a lot of things easier, especially now that I've

given the Cookbook to Tayce T

, which should make item use a little more quaint. I know that peeps were saying item use is actually important in this game, so I'm keeping that in mind.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure I'll get all the Star Pieces and/or Badges, if I'm being perfectly honest. The trouble I have with it is not so much the hunt for them in game, but learning that

64 of them out of 160—40%—you get from Quizmo's quizzes, and that just seems like a pain in the ass to find him repeatedly in different parts of the world. If they just had him give 5 quiz questions at a time rather than 1, or at least have him re-appear by exiting and re-entering the screen, that would make it worth it?

I dunno, it just seems remarkably tedious.

I was hoping to play more last week so that I could finish the game before my next trip next weekend, but that seems unlikely. I'm aiming for a somewhat less ambitious finishing Chapter 6 before Thursday. I'll be playing more tonight, we'll see how things pan out.

I have thoughts on the controls, but that'll appear in the Paper Mario thread later.

In addition, last weekend I bought a bunch of games as part of the final days of the Wii U/3DS eShop. Probably spent more than I should have. But regardless, here's what I got, based on whether I played them or a prequel before, whether they're available as physical copies, and whether said copies cost a fortune to get:

Wii U
  • Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Chasing Aurora
  • Sonic Lost World (more to compare with raocow's PC playthrough)
  • Gunman Clive HD Collection
  • DuckTales Remastered (it was like 3 bucks)
3DS
  • Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn (game is like $200 on eBay right now)
  • Kirby Planet Robobot
  • Fairune 2
  • Liberation Maiden
  • X-Scape
Sonic Lost World I'll get to sooner rather than later...rest I'm uncertain. It dawned on me too late that Dragon Quest VII was on there as well, but honestly I've still yet to finish II (midway through that on my phone? I should probably restart and finish that game someday), so it's going to be a long time before I consider touching that game again after playing about...10 hours of it on PSX decades ago.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Star Ocean - At Sylvalant for now.

People are gaining a few levels, if only for the sake of getting Milly up to speed. Milly and Ronixis have joined our team, but sadly Marvel had to leave, probably due to having Cius but no Josh. nyoro~n Reaching Ecdart and Ionis, I've took the time to build up Fol to purchase one Violin, so we could meme on the game completely by having essentially limitless Fol by cloning them. Trying to get every skill I can raise through books to Lv7 too, but I've taken a break from that for a while.

I can't raise the following this way: Piety, Esthetic Sense, Patience, Playfulness, Perseverance, Danger Sense, Functionality, Radar, Effort, Whistling, Gale, Animal Training and the Battle and School skillsets, but this only affects Oracle (not necessary outside of postgame), Training (not necessary outside of grinding), Scout (not necessary outside of avoiding enemy encounters), Familiar (mostly necessary for buying items in dungeons, having people at different levels in this is also ideal due to the shopping list changing), Customize, and partially Crafting.

Before getting the Sylvalant Emblem, I'm trying to get the Silver Sword for Cius to customize into the Cius Special. I'll have to level someone's Fairy Lore + Technology + Mineralogy to max level to be able to make more Orihalcons and Rune Metals before getting the Sylvance, Metal Fang, Cat Fang♪, Spinning Spear and Bloody Sword for Customization, as they can't be cloned.

A successful smithing usually takes around an hour of resets so, I have to be patient. Not a big problem though, it's just a bit boring. I'll have to raise Functionality and Esthetic Sense the traditional way to level up Customize and Crafting as well if I need it, as well as boost Mineralogy, Fairy Lore and Technology that way too, for Alchemy. Very happy you can never really need more than one Mithril at a time if you're going for the best weapons, as Ashlay and Cius can't be on the same party without cheats. Only if you want every weapon.

I'm also gonna take the time to buy two Tri-Emblems for everyone but Ratix, I'll likely get one of Milly's Charms for Ratix for extra elemental immunity, as well as boost most of everyone's skills to Lv7 for now so they can be decent enough at most Item Creation abilities. I don't know how to get Milly to give Ratix a charm at Sylvalant through PA though, it's not triggering. My final party will probably be Rati/Peri/Tine/Mill for full furry.

Ah... This isn't low level anymore, is it, it's just min-max lol. That's a fun run too, it's fine.

Incredibly confused as to why the price for Tri-Emblems is 8000765 (8000-na-mu-co), I thought tri-Ace was slightly bitter at Namco over the Tales of Phantasia development hell lol

Current Party loadout:
Ratix "Beyoncé" Farrence
Level 25
Max HP 2128
Max MP 197

STR 127
INT 41
AGL 86
CON 114
GUTS 15
STAM 71

ATK 1027
DEF 252
ACC 126
EVA 114

Talents:
Originality
Sense of Taste
Design Sense

Equip:
Moon Falux
Steel Armor
Fine Shield
Steel Helm
Silver Greaves
Tri-emblem
Necklace
Max MP 208

STR 134
INT 30
AGL 102
CON 116
GUTS 46
STAM 55

ATK 684
DEF 176
ACC 122
EVA 60

Talents:
Sense of Taste
Writing Ability

Equip:
Dragon Claw
Battle Suit
Chinese Shoes
Max MP 202

STR 136
INT 32
AGL 119
CON 119
GUTS 30
STAM 35

ATK 946
DEF 191
ACC 149
EVA 18

Talents:
Sixth Sense

Equip:
Berserk Sword
Steel Armor
Steel Helm
Silver Greaves
Max MP 201

STR 35
INT 62
AGL 44
CON 47
GUTS 4
STAM 12

ATK 135
DEF 84
ACC 44
EVA 7

Talents:
Originality
Love of Animals
Blessing of Mana

Equip:
Crest Rod
Holy Cloak
Boots
Max MP 159

STR 90
INT 0
AGL 55
CON 90
GUTS 12
STAM 0

ATK 430
DEF 120
ACC 55
EVA 32

Talents:
Design Sense
Pitch Sense
Blessing of Mana

Equip:
Arbalest
Brigandine
Leather Boots
Skill Loadout:

Skill:              Ra|Ir|Ci|Mi|Ro
Biology             7  7  7  7  7
Herbal Medicine     7  7  7  7  7
Psychology          7  7  7  7  7
Mineralogy          7  7  7  7  7
Item Lore           7  7  7  7  1
Piety               0  1  0  0  0
Recipe              0  9  2  0  0
Musical Notation    0  2  0  0  0
Fairy Lore          1  1  1  0  0
Esthetic Sense      1  2  3  3  0
Good Eye            0  5  1  0  0
Functionality       1  1  2  3  0
Playfulness         0  0  0  0  0
Danger Sense        2  3  2  0  0
Radar               0  0  0  0  0
Effort              0  0  0  0  0
Perseverance        0  1  0  0  0
Patience            7  6  7  1  0
Workmanship         6  5  4  6  0
Kitchen Knife       6  8  7  0  0
Performance         0  1  0  0  0
Whistling           0  0  0  0  0
Sketching           3  1  2  0  7
Writing             3  7  3  0  0
Forging             5  1  1  0  0
Technology          1  1  0  1  0
Gale                5  5  4  0  0
Animal Training     0  0  0  0  0
Below the Belt      2  2  3  -- --
Strong Blow         0  0  0  -- --
Flip                1  1  1  -- --
Counterattack       0  0  2  -- --
Feint               0  0  1  -- --
Mental Training     0  0  0  -- --
Motormouth          -- -- -- 2  0

Unique Skills:
Edarl Style (Ra) 0
Close Combat (Ir) 0
Self-Taught Style (Ci) 0
Ability Levels:
Beyoncé (Ra)
Crafting ★★★
Identify ★★★
Authoring ★
Alchemy ★★★
Dash ★
Cooking ★☆☆
Customize ★★★
Compounding ★★★
Art ★
Training ★☆☆
Smithing ★☆
Scout ★

Metallurgy Lv5
Identify Lv8
Authoring Lv3
Alchemy Lv3
Dash Lv5 (who cares)
Customize Lv3
Compounding Lv7
Art Lv3
Smithing Lv7
Scout Lv2
Authoring ★
Alchemy ★★★
Dash ★
Cooking ★★★
Customize ★★★
Music ★★
Oracle ★☆☆
Compounding ★★★
Art ★
Training ★★☆
Smithing ★★
Scout ★

Metallurgy Lv5
Identify Lv7
Authoring Lv7
Alchemy Lv3
Dash Lv5 (who cares)
Cooking Lv7
Customize Lv3
Music Lv2
Compounding Lv7
Art Lv1
Smithing Lv4
Scout Lv3
Authoring ★
Alchemy ★★☆
Dash ★
Cooking ★★★
Customize ★★★
Compounding ★★★
Art ★
Training ★☆☆
Smithing ★★
Scout ★

Metallurgy Lv5
Identify Lv7
Authoring Lv3
Dash Lv4 (who cares)
Cooking Lv3
Customize Lv3
Compounding Lv7
Art Lv2
Smithing Lv4
Scout Lv2
Alchemy ★★☆
Customize ★★★
Compounding ★★★
Training ★☆☆
Smithing ★☆

Metallurgy Lv5
Identify Lv7
Customize Lv4
Compounding Lv7
Alchemy ★☆☆
Compounding ★★★
Art ★
Smithing ★☆

Identify Lv5
Compounding Lv7
Art Lv7
Best for Item Creation at the current time:
Crafting - any but Ronixis
Cooking - Iria
Compounding - any
Identify - Ratix
Customize - Milly (will have to do it with everyone but Iria though)
Art - Ronixis
Authoring - Iria
Alchemy - Ratix and Iria
Smithing - Ratix
thatguyif wrote: 1 year ago Fairune 2
That game and its predecessor are on my to play list as they're anime-esque indie obscurities. Of course when I say anime-esque, I do mean like. CrossCode (despite it being German), EasyGameStation, Desunoya, somiso, Sky and Crossbell-era Trails, even Korean MMOs like TalesWeaver or Ragnarök.

I also need to start my physical copy of DQ7 3DS, but I'm trying to finish my ROM of DQ5 DS first, then start and finish DQ6 DS. I do intend on playing stuff like Monsters and Rocket Slime, Builders 2 and Heroes too if I can get them to run at a reasonable if low framerate on my PC, Builders 1 and Treasures if I can purchase em on my Switch (<Erik> hehe). Though, that'll be on its own time without worrying about release order, like the Mystery Dungeon games and most of the notable FF spinoffs*. Swords looks kind of meh, but...

I'm absolutely not rushing the Roguelikes, that's just impossible and me savescumming them feels wrong to me. Itadaki Street? No sir...

I also heard that, similar to DQ6 SNES in comparison to DQ6 DS, DQ7 PSX is kind of much worse than 3DS, especially with its

Myst-like 8 hour [citation needed?] long prologue? That got completely downscaled for 3DS from what I heard

. DQ8 seems to be pretty comparable though, probably aside from MIDI instrument abuse (Sugiyama, you nazi.... and I'm saying this as a MIDI enjoyer), oldie but a goldie!

* - TAY + Interlude (working my way to em on PSP as I replay FF4 first), X-2 (coming up soone, before XII Zodiac), XIII sequels, Tactics subseries + Vagrant Story (already started Tactics, I'm just doing a semi-completionist run with a large amount of JP grind to unlock most abilities to learn the game), Revenant Wings, Crisis Core, 7R, Mystic Quest (already beat this last one), Dirge of Cerberus (for the lols), Chocobo Mystery Dungeons + Racing PSX, 4 Heroes, Dissidia, Type 0, World, Theatrhythm, CHAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS, MAYBE the Crystal Chronicles RPGs, if they aren't complete dogshit to play singleplayer (pholtos did NOT like the DS one)
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

thatguyif wrote: 1 year agoThinking about it, I'm not sure I'll get all the Star Pieces and/or Badges, if I'm being perfectly honest. The trouble I have with it is not so much the hunt for them in game, but learning that

64 of them out of 160—40%—you get from Quizmo's quizzes, and that just seems like a pain in the ass to find him repeatedly in different parts of the world. If they just had him give 5 quiz questions at a time rather than 1, or at least have him re-appear by exiting and re-entering the screen, that would make it worth it?

I dunno, it just seems remarkably tedious.
It can be made slightly less tedious -

using the blue pipes is enough to trigger a new appearance

. I agree on the one-at-a-time issue though (as do most modders, since most mods I've seen do up to five at a time provided you don't fail any)
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago That game and its predecessor are on my to play list as they're anime-esque indie obscurities. Of course when I say anime-esque, I do mean like. CrossCode (despite it being German), EasyGameStation, Desunoya, somiso, Sky and Crossbell-era Trails, even Korean MMOs like TalesWeaver or Ragnarök.
I liked the original. Short but simple, very straightforward. I'll see what the sequel's like eventually.
I also heard that, similar to DQ6 SNES in comparison to DQ6 DS, DQ7 PSX is kind of much worse than 3DS, especially with its

Myst-like 8 hour [citation needed?] long prologue? That got completely downscaled for 3DS from what I heard

Your statement is true. It took me about 8 or so hours before I had my first combat in PSX DW7 (as it was known then). I think I went another

island in the past

over, but then just quit because that point in my life I was kind of getting bored when RPGs were too long (plus I was getting more into music then).
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Been quietly going through a fan game of the Blue Bomber's called Mega Man: Rock N Roll on the YT channel. Not going to put it in a thread in the LP section since it's literally a silent run just being done for fun on my own time. Enjoy! It's pretty fun, and the mid-fortress saves are nice.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

FFTA: Omega Exodus (Viera totema) defeated. Now the real game begins dot png (the mod I'm playing has a Good Bad Bug where I can assign "blank" skills - it shows as Curaga on a Nu Mou but in the Movements slot it has the effect of Move +4 so my Alchemist/Illusionist having zero speed doesn't actually matter when he can outrun gunfire)
Last edited by raekuul 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

thatguyif wrote: 1 year ago I liked the original. Short but simple, very straightforward. I'll see what the sequel's like eventually.
That's my type of game! I say, as an RPG whore.
thatguyif wrote: 1 year ago Your statement is true. It took me about 8 or so hours before I had my first combat in PSX DW7 (as it was known then). I think I went another

island in the past

over, but then just quit because that point in my life I was kind of getting bored when RPGs were too long (plus I was getting more into music then).
I managed to beat FF7 and FF9 at around 40-45 hours, mostly due to using guides, but a lot of PSX RPGs (maybe some JP-only Saturn ones too? not sure) went hard on content. FF8 took me around 95 but I think that was mostly me harvesting magic, including Ultima, in a very inefficient way, along with leveling to Lv100 on purpose so

Ultimecia

was at her best when facing her (still not too much of a challenge).

FF10 (PAL version) was circa 25, but I did mostly stick to the main game and Kimahri's Blue Magic (I accidentally wound up making him a bit of a physical attacking MVP, build wise). I am absolutely not the most efficient person when playing RPGs for the first time, I spend a lot of my time following guides to learn the games' intricacies, and these days I'm more open to doing challenge runs, just need to get more creative with them.

If you're wondering, yes, FF5 FJF is deffo in the cards, I just don't know if I'll do it this summer specifically, could be before, could be after, as an unofficial thing.

Speaking of inefficiency...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Star Ocean (Vita savefile) - Trying to somewhat replicate the brokenness of my Desktop file on this one. Currently getting Millie to raise us enough money through booze-making (she's like 18, is it okay?) to buy a violin so we can clone it and work on our skills and ability proficiency. I may go more towards semi-completionism on this one. Ironically enough the timer is much lower and most of us are around the same level!

I do have Mavelle and Ashlay in this file now due to us zooming to Ionis to get item creation nonsense, but I do want Felicia and Talbain Pericci and T'nique out of the available three. Alas Cyuss and Phia will have to be in the sidelines for this run, Ioshua gets boned entirely! Gonna try to unlock every Authoring field with dear ol' Ilia to boost up everyone to see if we can unlock some extra talents through Violin spamming.

I'll have to do all of the super weapon unlocking and smithing (Swords for Ashlay and Roddick, Knuckles for Ilia and Peri, and Spears for T'nique) again but it's fine. It should be easier to work on Alchemy and such due to not worrying about keeping everyone at a semi-low level, if still overpowered. I could probably just summon Gabriel Celeste a few times with The Devil's Aria (Clarinet 2) and do my best to whoop his aggressively cute ass for like 60000 EXP. I should draw him and make him into a babyface bara like some Housamo bois or how I've seen people draw Cinderace, I love that shit

MMOs - I tried to reinstall the FF14 Free Trial to check out my Roe, do some quests, look cute with new clothes, but alas, the installation crapped out on me halfway through and the time estimate started going haywire. Ah well, I can always try again.

I might boot up PSO again from time to time when I'm especially bored, might start PSO2 when I have enough space on my harddrive (shit's way too big). I also need to find private servers for FF11, Ragnarök, and I've also downloaded a Japanese VPN, SoftEther to see if I can bypass TalesWeaver's Japanese server's region lock, kudos to a Facebook post pointing that out.

These are entirely casual, so if I do find myself getting too addicted to the games I will try to distance myself from them, I don't really get addicted to anything that's in any way transient, even gambling, but just in case. Single-player games always come first to me.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

MMOs - Okay so trying to use SoftEther as a VPN to creep onto Nexon JP's servers made my router go haywire and crash, must be my ISP (NOS Portugal) trying to keep me from doing weird piracy adjacent shit or w/e. Thus, I'm in the Ketuana (ketsuana, literally "asshole" in JP) TalesWeaver private server's Discord waiting for Ketuhole (the GM) or the other dev (singular? I only see F0) to make me an account. This could take days since I'm sure the devs are busy, on top of the sheer baggage that comes with being Japanese, busy jobs and such plus timezones.

The server does have a partial English translation, so it should be much easier than trying to play in the JP servers. I've also finished downloading FF14 for now and I'll boot it up later (shit's 44 GB... I'll have to periodically uninstall it when necessary) and made an account at OldschoolRO, still have to make a character. I'll keep these as my "rotation" along with PSO for now.

Go Go Ackman - At the third stage, Chapter of the Cursed Ancient Ruins. Instantly recognized the desert background from myriads of SMW hacks. Fun game, only had one game over this time (playing on desktop). Seems to only have five stages, but the fifth one seems to be extra long. Played this while I accidentally tore my internet down OOP

LoH: Trails in the Sky - Doing the Prologue. Taking it easy and grinding a bit of Sepith when I need it to unlock slots, I'm trying to get as much as many recipes as I can too, but I won't stress over missing a few. I am trying to do every mission though! So far, I've done the following:
  • Training: Retrieval - Mandatory
  • Child Rescue - Mandatory
  • Find the Shiny Rock!
  • Milch Main Road Monster
  • Perzel Farm Monsters - Mandatory
  • Mushroom Hunt
  • Orbment Replacement
  • Medical Necessities
  • Soldier Training
  • Mayor Klaus' Request - Mandatory
Gonna do the optional Lost Kitten and Elize Highway Monster quests, before doing the mandatory Liberl Media quest.

At 32 BP, Junior Bracer 8th Class.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

LoH: Trails in the Sky - Around halfway through Chapter 1's Missing Airliner quest. Did everything in Rolent. Did the following sidequests:
  • Letter Carrier
  • Ravennue Monster
  • Ingredient Seeker
  • East Bose Monster
  • Bear Claw Survey
  • Nebel Valley Monster
  • West Bose Monster
Olivier and Schera are so horny and disgusting they're pretty much me, I just wish they wouldn't creep on Joshua. Dude's 16

Final Fantasy XIV - Did the following quests:
  • We Must Rebuild
  • Nothing to See Here
  • Underneath the Sultantree
  • Step Nine
  • Catch Your Breath
  • Nor Rain nor Heat nor Gloom of Night
  • I Believe You Can Fly
It's pretty gay. Gonna progress more on the Main Scenario a bit before cleaning up some sidequests, but only when I feel like it
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

FFTA - so it turns out there's a broken cutscene shortly after Exodus in the mod I'm playing; hopefully I'm just playing on an out-of-date version but this means research at the very least and saveram conversion at worst. I might just shelve and restart under vanilla when it inevitably comes to NSO (because of course it will).

Pokemon Emerald - Oh, right, Rival 2 is why I keep stopping at Slateport. Level 20 starter, level 12 wilds, and not enough trainer EXP to go around. At least since I started with Mudkip I can just use Electrike+Zubat to keep the rival team in check.

I poked my head into Dungeon Keeper 2 over the weekend but I don't like how zoomed in the camera is even when maximally zoomed out; I'll try playing at a higher resolution (game offers up to 1024x768) but I may need to either use a mod or a fan rebuild for better zoom out range. It certainly seems more forgiving than DK1 but at the same time I don't know how much I'll like the "organic" dungeon hearts (I blame Dungeon Keeper Ami for biasing me against DK2 content in general though)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

And beat Mega Man: Rock N Roll earlier tonight. Definitely recommending this fan game since it plays great with a fun main gimmick with the two characters, some good weapons, and a handful of secrets to scope out.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Spelunky 2 - Hundun Hounded 2023-04-05. This run wasn't actually supposed to even get through Ice Caves - I intended to go Volcana -> Temple for the Alien Compass so that I could unlock Pilot, but I accidentally went to Tide Pool out of Habit... but it wound up being a happy accident - the 4-3 generated a back door exit from the lava trap so I was able to Lava Skip without actually having to Lava Skip, which meant I got to keep not only the Ankh but also all the Kapala health I'd accumulated thus far. Thus emboldened, I bravely ran away from Tiamat and just made a dash for Hundun (I missed out on Hou Yi's bow during the Moon Challenge - I dug in the wrong direction at first and ran out of mattock before could see which alcove had the bow in it - but as that was my first Hundun battle per Steam I would have aborted at Hundun anyway instead of passing within to Cosmic Ocean so that I could unlock Classic Spelunker).
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

So, I got a chunk into Chapter 7 of Paper Mario, after the

"murder mystery" and the subsequent Jr. Trooper fight

. I was not expecting that, but I was also not expecting Chapter 6 to be as...short as it was? I was expecting a sort of lengthy set of 2-3 different areas, sort of like what it was with Chapter 5. I wasn't really expecting it to just be one area. The boss of the chapter kind of just snuck up on me. I was expecting a big dungeon when you

went up the beanstalk

. But no, just the boss and boom, End of Chapter. It's interesting that Nintendo chose to make 6 a bit of a breather episode? Though it didn't really project it as much. There were definite hints that something bigger was imminent that didn't come to pass. Makes the pacing a bit weird.

That said...odd that the game, whose leveling mechanic consists of enemies losing Star Points over the course of levels until they become none, chose to have a

"rare" enemy whose Star Point value is not only very high but also fixed

, thus defeating its purpose. Still, I'll take what I can get.
Also, glad to get Bump Attack, as this solves the "weak enemies" problem. I just wish it was available around the same time as the Blue Pipes, rather than after you get Sushie. Yes, I know, First Attack does the same thing, but landing a first attack can be inconsistent!
Also got around to facing off with The Master at the Dojo two times

and the third

. The first and second were relatively easy because by that point I had enough badges and badge points to make a "build" for those fights.

The third was an honest struggle though, for he hits hard. 40 HP ain't enough if you're not careful.

Got through almost all the Quizmos, though I noticed that Quizmo disappears

after Chapter 7 starts

. Might be a weird event flag thing for him to reappear? I dunno. Pretty sure I also finished all the Koopa Koot favors. Looking at how many Star Pieces I have left, I probably need to use Merluvlee to figure out where the rest are. Will do a sweep after the Chapter is over.

I might play a bit on my flights to and from New York, but I'll busy all weekend doing cool stuff, so prolly no serious progress for a while. That said, I should finish this game next week.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Phantasy Star II - Did most of Dezoris. The Zan and Gizan items and Gires items are helping me murder the game better, truly lifesavers. Cleared out Skure (Mogic and Magic Caps get), met up with Lutz, and cleared the Manobe and Guaron dungeons for extra magic items and the first four Nei items. Amy is a tank now, despite being the mage of the group... Oops, shouldn't have equipped her with two Laconia Emels :)

Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes - Trying to translate the text and... The first chapter is around one hour. Whoa
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

thatguyif wrote: 1 year agothough I noticed that Quizmo disappears

There's new questions with each chapter end, so if you've exhausted all available questions

he won't show up.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

...With only 4 questions left?

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Dragon Quest V - Building my monsters, trying to recruit more and updating their gear.

Current status:
On team:
Kim the Chimaera
Level 19

Max HP 157
Max MP 85

STR 107
AGI 95
RES 84
WIS 52
LUC 63
ATK 107
DEF 132

Wpn: (aiming for Edged boomerang)
Arm: Cloak of evasion
Shld:
Hlm: Top hat

Tech:
Midheal
Cool Breath
Snooze
Fullheal
Multiheal
Evac

Max HP 171
Max MP 87

STR 102
AGI 112
RES 98
WIS 40
LUC 51
ATK 137
DEF 151

Wpn: Steel fangs
Arm: Tortoise shell
Shld:
Hlm: Top hat

Tech:
Spooky Aura
Body Slam
Sap
Woosh
Paralysis Attack
Swoosh

Max HP 204
Max MP 0

STR 83
AGI 22
RES 20
WIS 25
LUC 16
ATK 113
DEF 75

Wpn: Sledgehammer
Arm: Iron cuirass
Shld: Iron shield
Hlm: Iron helmet (aiming for Iron mask)

Tech:

Max HP 118
Max MP 72

STR 41
AGI 60
RES 40
WIS 35
LUC 40
ATK 86
DEF 75

Wpn: Morning star
Arm: Cloak of evasion
Shld: Scale shield
Hlm: (aiming for Top hat)

Tech:
Frizz
Fizzle
Sizz
Sizzle
Drain Magic
Frizzle

Max HP 228
Max MP 21

STR 106
AGI 21
RES 27
WIS 35
LUC 4
ATK 139
DEF 73

Wpn: Steel broadsword (aiming for Cautery sword)
Arm: Full plate armour
Shld: Iron shield
Hlm: (aiming for Iron mask)

Tech:
War Cry
Tongue Lashing
Buff
Absorb Magic
Kabuff

Max HP 127
Max MP 32

STR 78
AGI 82
RES 49
WIS 36
LUC 43
ATK 113
DEF 72

Arm: Iron cuirass
Shld:
Hlm: (aiming for Iron helmet)

Tech:
Crack
Tongue Lashing
Sweet Breath
Midheal
Crackle
With Monty:
Gootrude the Slime
Level 24

Max HP 136
Max MP 35

STR 55
AGI 92
RES 44
WIS 32
LUC 17
ATK 90
DEF 77

Arm: Tortoise shell
Shld:
Hlm:

Tech:
Poof
Kabuff
Kasap
Fuddle
Evac

Max HP 80
Max MP 19

STR 50
AGI 56
RES 33
WIS 23
LUC 33
ATK 50
DEF 33

Wpn:
Arm:
Shld:
Hlm:

Tech:
Dazzle
Snooze

Max HP 113
Max MP 0

STR 63
AGI 68
RES 66
WIS 28
LUC 99
ATK 91
DEF 66

Wpn: Chain whip
Arm:
Shld:
Hlm:

Tech:
Weird Dance
Weirder Dance
Sleep Attack
Weirdest Dance

Max HP 159
Max MP 55

STR 64
AGI 67
RES 53
WIS 37
LUC 47
ATK 109
DEF 89

Wpn: Cautery sword
Arm: Iron armour
Shld: Bronze shield
Hlm:

Tech:
Heal
Drain Magic
Midheal
Squelch
Bang
Tingle

Max HP 109
Max MP 0

STR 80
AGI 74
RES 67
WIS 46
LUC 102
ATK 125
DEF 67

Wpn: Morning star
Arm:
Shld:
Hlm:

Tech:
Sultry Dance
Weirdest Dance
Sweet Breath
Burning Breath

Max HP 158
Max MP 0

STR 84
AGI 52
RES 52
WIS 33
LUC 42
ATK 117
DEF 82

Wpn: Steel broadsword
Arm: Full plate armour
Shld:
Hlm:
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Still playing Paper Mario. I had about 15 hours clocked before I finally gave in and Googled if there was some kind of fast travel system. I had noticed suspicious platforms embedded in the ground at every major hub and figured those would be the things for fast travel, but maybe I just hadn't gotten far enough into the story yet to activate them or whatever. Turns out I was correct about those being related to the fast travel, but I'm just an idiot and never noticed the accessible pipe to the sewers in Toad Town that would have let me fast travel from the beginning. Actually, I did notice the pipe the first time I got to that area of Toad Town, but it had a warning about a tough enemy and I was doing something else anyway so I figured I would come back to it later and just forgot about it. In my defense, the path to it is really weirdly hidden. I don't think intentionally so, it's just like, kinda hidden and nothing too obvious is marking it's there so I just kept walking past it not noticing it.

I'd probably be at quite a bit under the 15 hour mark if I had discovered this much earlier. I had done a bunch of fetch quests for various NPCs, including Koot in Koopa Village, made I-don't-know-how-many treks across the map to get there, going back to Goomba Village, and even like... probably over 5 trips out to Dry Dry Outpost. Which is a god damn tedious journey -- going way South to the train station in Toad Town, taking the train to the desert, climbing up the mountain, trying my best to dodge the enemies (especially the rock guys who up until I got some power-ups were tough to kill), using Parakarry to cross a gap, getting into the desert itself, crossing like 5 mostly empty screens and dodging Bandits which are another pain-in-the-ass enemy, and finally getting to the outpost. And then doing it all again in reverse to get back. Thankfully I found the Speedy Spin badge pretty early on which has been great for saving some travel time as well as dodging enemies. But I felt like an idiot for wasting all that time not knowing about the sewer. Oh well.