(shouting)

Video Game Hot Takes

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
11clock

Video Game Hot Takes

Post by 11clock »

What hot takes on video games would you want to share?

Reminder: Keep things civil! We’re human, we all have opinions that hardly anyone will agree with.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: Video Game Hot Takes

Post by KobaBeach »

oh this thread is gonna get fucking obnoxious

anyway i honestly believe singa's songs for falcom aren't really that bad and most of the blame should be placed on falcom milking him to death because he's the cheapest freelancer they have. forever an ishibashi stan though (rest in peace my dear)

also star ocean 3's plot twist isn't that bad, it kind of retcons everything into being a giant mmo but honestly it works in terms of intelligent life being given birth to in some sort of massive program
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Yukiko is best girl.
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

Here's a take that probably isn't that spicy, but it's our particular frustrations that go alongside it probably are: 99% of the problems with Nintendo's releases as of late rest firmly in them trying to put "Future updates at a later date!!!"-style updates in games that have no fucking reason to have them.

Like, no, sorry, Nintendo Switch Sports only putting Golf in the game months after the fact is not the problem here, it's the fact they just kinda released that game and put golf in it half a year later after everyone had already settled on the take of "It's not like, awful, but Wii Sports Resort is probably still the best of the Console/Thing games" and nobody gave a shit. It's not even the most interesting instance of this shooting a game in the foot (see: Animal Crossing: New Horizons), it's just yet another victim of Nintendo haphazardly applying this release strategy onto a game that doesn't fucking. Gel with it. At all. Because the only game that this actually made sense in was Splatoon, because those "future updates" generally took minimal effort to make but still impacted the game a lot. Not designing a full-on new character that usually just amounts to an extra button on the character select for players who came in late.
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

There's no such thing as good design and bad design
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
11clock

Post by 11clock »

Most Jackbox games actually suck. For each collection, you're only really buying it for one or two games. It kind of feels like that they throw ideas at a wall and hope that some stick.
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

Paper Mario is the only good Fire Emblem game.

(they're both made by Intelligent Systems and i've been thinking about this ever since cow dubbed it a strategic game in yesterday's video)
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

maro isn't real
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

Crow wrote: 1 year agomaro isn't real
NO!!! NO!!! FUCK NO!!! "Mario" is REAL yuou just need to BELIEVE in him like we do & he jump in the air & stomp the boma and go "Waho" & we go "Yahoo" in response 2 O.K.??? this is HURTING don't EVER say this!!! AGAIB
we're 99% sure we're experiencing acid reflux please take exactly 0% of this post seriously aside from this disclaimer. we refused to fix a single typo here because it's funnier this way.
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

One thing that comes to mind for me is in Golden Sun (and its companion, The Lost Age).
I was displeased that the two despicable characters in the games - Lady McCoy of Bilibin and the Mayor of Alhafra - never got justice served. I felt that all the other characters in the game - even the villains - had some class or style, but these two characters had no redeeming value. There should have been a way in the game to walk away from them feeling satisfied instead of on a sour note.

I felt bad for Agatio and Karst when the Wise One blocked them from lighting the Mars Lighthouse, and then forcibly transformed them into the Flame Dragons to be fought by the party of protagonists (and left them to die afterwards). They were the antagonists of most of TLA, but it turns out that they were doing something that was necessary to save their hometown of Prox and ultimately the whole world of Weyard; the protagonists learned this truth over time and did the same. I would have preferred if the Wise One turned Lady McCoy and the Mayor to those boss creatures instead - would have been just desserts.
Also, this thread may be of relevance: guilty pleasure games
Last edited by ano0maly 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

IT IS NOT A SIN TO PLAY ON EASY MODE!!!!!!!!1111
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Lord Ruby

Post by Lord Ruby »

Uh, let's see ... I like the second half of Bravely Default? I think it has clever ludonarrative consonance, and I like the climax it leads up to.
a
11clock

Post by 11clock »

I don’t like Psychonauts 2’s combat. Because every move you have is useful in combat, and they designed different enemies specifically to be countered by different moves, it led to battles feeling way too chaotic and messy. I think that Guacamelee handled moves that integrate into both platforming and combat better, by keeping things down to only 4 attacks. Also, the usefulness of the move depends more on the environment than on the enemy type. Enemies do have different colored shields, but they are still vulnerable to any attack, letting you use other moves to reposition the enemy into a more favorable position before breaking their shield.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Lord Ruby wrote: 1 year ago Uh, let's see ... I like the second half of Bravely Default? I think it has clever ludonarrative consonance, and I like the climax it leads up to.
THANK YOU! Good company! I appreciate it!

as for my own "hot take" I can't think of a nuanced one right now so I'm just gonna go with Resident Evil 4 is absolute dreck and I'm so so so so so sick of hearing about it because it's been remade again it's Capcom's fucking skyrim, I don't care and couldn't bring myself to. I get it's really popular! And apparently plays great! But I am fundamentally incompatible with that game and I fucking hate Leon.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Speaking of Square, we were talking about this in Discord, and I still think they make really fun games to this day. They just get overlooked due to all the dumb business decisions they've been making with others (Microtransactions in Chocobo GP, hopping on the NFT craze after it's burned out, poor advertising when not assisted by another company).

I mean, their lineup this gen has been fun and sometimes experimental. Obviously have the big ones, but then you also have Bravely Default II, Octopath Traveler 1 & 2, Triangle Strategy, NEO: The Advertising Ends With You, the Trials of Mana remake, Harvestella, and then actually remaking stuff that is on the older side like with the Pixel Remasters and Front Mission games.

If they could just push out the dumb decisions and just focus on the games and spreading them out in a decent manner, they could be considered in their second-best period after the 90s.
11clock

Post by 11clock »

Being rewarded for skill is better than being rewarded for time spent. It feels more accomplishing to achieve something since you got better at it, not just because you played the game for long enough to be handed it. This is one of the key reasons why I don’t like the traditional experience point system in RPGs. Leveling up doesn’t feel satisfying at all, I just get a “well that happened” feeling, unless it’s a crapton of exp at once from defeating a difficult boss or something.

I also do not like dynamic difficulty at all for similar reasons. Don’t take pity on me just because I am struggling, it cheapens the payout from finally winning! I really wish that you could disable the free masks in the Crash games from dying too many times. Instead of imposing a difficulty based on how well the player is doing, why not just let them set the difficulty themselves?

My views on skill vs time spent bleeds into my tastes in roguelikes. I don’t like permanent character progression popularized by Rogue Legacy. You’re turning the game from a test of skill into a test of patience. Keep unlocks to characters, new items and areas in future runs, higher difficulty levels, etc. Don’t defeat the whole point of this genre with permanent upgrades!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 1 year ago I fucking hate Leon.
leon is only good for furthering the redfield bloodline

Bean wrote: 1 year ago Speaking of Square, we were talking about this in Discord, and I still think they make really fun games to this day. They just get overlooked due to all the dumb business decisions they've been making with others (Microtransactions in Chocobo GP, hopping on the NFT craze after it's burned out, poor advertising when not assisted by another company).
+1'ing this but i feel like a lot of the other more prominent non-indie JRPG devs are either Idea Factory+Compile Heart, outright Idea Factory tier, or stuck working on one IP and nothing more, so I think the bar isn't high at all lmao

Idea Factory isn't all bad, yes, but I'm very tired of most of their games being mostly anime girl conveyance mechanisms first and actual games second, I'm pretty sure even PC98 and early 2000s Windows bishoujo games and eroge were better than that (I actually haven't really played eroge outside of five minutes of Morenatsu's translation patch when I was like 14 so)
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

my hot take is that star ocean is bad
star ocean enthusiast -->
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

sonic is a penguin
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Crow wrote: 6 months ago sonic is a penguin
correct

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i always fucking hated sonic's goddamned attitude in fleetway it makes me want to choke the bastard
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

KobaBeach wrote: 6 months ago i always fucking hated sonic's goddamned attitude in fleetway it makes me want to choke the bastard
he was real for this one though
tumblr_7b055e2ade9da8953dd88161170dc4f2_1b51ad96_540.jpg
tumblr_7b055e2ade9da8953dd88161170dc4f2_1b51ad96_540.jpg (85.05 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i like charmy but yes, sega writes him very poorly even if he is like 6 now (the voice direction makes it worse)
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

KobaBeach wrote: 6 months ago i always fucking hated sonic's goddamned attitude in fleetway it makes me want to choke the bastard
skill issue
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 6 months ago skill issue
if i eviscerate you with a spoon is that also a skill issue