(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by thatguyif »

I was thinking of playing more GTA IV yesterday, but given the long session the night before, I decided against it. I had two demos I wanted to play, so I went with those.

SteamWorld Build is part of the larger SteamWorld franchise. I played the first game, Dig, on my 3DS many moons ago, and enjoyed it. This is a city-builder/strategy game due later in the year, which probably has elements of survival. It maintains the overall SteamWorld style of being “Western with steampunk robots,” which is cool. The demo only focuses on the city-building side of things, but it still offers an interesting dynamic in play, as you basically operate under two systems: Building up a mining town on the surface, and building a mining/archaeological excavation operation underground. The game only showcased the opening act, so we don’t get to see any monsters and such.

The plot is very interesting, to say the least: The planet is heavily hinted to be dying, and the robots of the SteamWorld…world are trying to make an escape. The whole mining operation is to build, presumably, a rocket using parts of ancient tech to escape the planet before it implodes. Of course, the “daughter” is the vessel to get information on these parts, and the family is backed by a robotic orb of some kind that looks like a dead ringer for GLaDOS’ Personality Constructs, and the game gives an odd vibe that this orb might betray you at some point. Regardless, it’s a dece setup. It made me realize that I’ve yet to play Dig 2, and should probably pick that up before the 3DS eShop closes in a couple months. (Update: Turns out I don't need to, got it for free (presumably) on Steam at some point. Still, might put that in the backlog list.)

Chorus is a game that I saw and should’ve immediately been all over, but then forgot. I guess I had a suspicion that it had some horror and FPS vibes, possibly also that it was a Playstation 5 centerpiece. But that’s not the case at all: It’s a space combat game through and through. I really loved playing it. Plot is rather interesting: You were the second-in-command of an intergalactic cult that defected and have been waging a one-woman war against them since with a living ship of sorts. Demo starts some time after the beginning of the game, and I can see the reason: Gives a sense of the difficulty and the type of play, which is a semi-open world vibe similar to Freelancer’s main campaign.

Main issue was difficulty. I get the sense they took some cues from Dark Souls because man, you can’t take a lot of hits, and it’s really hard to know where anyone is. (Plus there are timed dodges.) This alleviated by a teleport function that allows you to jump right behind a ship and attack it. They also have a lot of checkpointing, which is nice. That said, I probably spent 45 minutes on the last mission of the demo, because I couldn’t clear the second checkpoint: I constantly got massacred if not by ship then by turret. Once I got to the next checkpoint, I cleared the rest in one go.

I wishlisted the game. It’s on sale, but considering I just bought Space Engineers, and my next PC games purchase will likely involve Sonic games, I’m holding off for now. Still, it’s pretty high on the wishlist.

(Speaking of, might bop around on Space Engineers during this week, just to get the hang of it.)
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Decided to check how well my current PC runs PS2 games on emulator. Turns out, pretty well! Been going through Klonoa 2 since I've been in the mood for it after listening to some of the soundtrack again. It's one hell of a nostalgia trip, since it was my first PS2 game (funnily enough, Klonoa 1 was my last PS1 game). Does it hold up? I'd say yes; it was never a particularly hard game, but it's pretty engaging. The levels are very lively and fun to navigate, and it introduces some new enemies that change things up a little. There are certainly a few difficulty spikes, but they never feel frustrating because lives are so plentiful. The real challenge is getting all the crystals in each level, especially since so many of them rely on those fairies that double their value, and they just barely last long enough for you to get as many as you need. The skating levels are also really tricky, since they are autoscrollers. I decided not to worry about it for the time being, though. Gonna do a second loop after I beat the game. Right now I just completed Mountains of Mira-Mira, gonna save the museum level for later since it's kind of a butt from what I recall.

It's also a really good palette cleanser while I continue to play suffer through ASMT.
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
11clock

Post by 11clock »

EllenHouraisan wrote: 1 year ago Decided to check how well my current PC runs PS2 games on emulator. Turns out, pretty well! Been going through Klonoa 2 since I've been in the mood for it after listening to some of the soundtrack again. It's one hell of a nostalgia trip, since it was my first PS2 game (funnily enough, Klonoa 1 was my last PS1 game). Does it hold up? I'd say yes; it was never a particularly hard game, but it's pretty engaging. The levels are very lively and fun to navigate, and it introduces some new enemies that change things up a little. There are certainly a few difficulty spikes, but they never feel frustrating because lives are so plentiful. The real challenge is getting all the crystals in each level, especially since so many of them rely on those fairies that double their value, and they just barely last long enough for you to get as many as you need. The skating levels are also really tricky, since they are autoscrollers. I decided not to worry about it for the time being, though. Gonna do a second loop after I beat the game. Right now I just completed Mountains of Mira-Mira, gonna save the museum level for later since it's kind of a butt from what I recall.

It's also a really good palette cleanser while I continue to play suffer through ASMT.
I was pleasantly surprised by Klonoa 2. I was expecting it to be as mediocre as the first one, but no it’s great.
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Yeah, Klonoa 2 is definitely a big improvement over the first, which while I wouldn't call mediocre, is rather plain in some aspects. I already played it a couple years back since I had never beaten it when I was a kid, but I might replay it later in the year to prepare for raocow's LP. Maybe now that my PS1 emulator is configured properly, the Nahatomb fight won't play at single digit FPS, lol.
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

BBN3: slowly working my way towards HeatBug Lv3 for DarkLicense. I should go ahead and do the PlantMan scenario while I've still got HeatBug, not just because HeatBug but also because I can't get the Jungle program until after I get to the undernet proper, and BBN3 lets me select my style change element by using these programs (the first change is still random but it's manipulatable now, but I didn't look too closely at how to do so since AquaShld is good enough for BubbleMan) and the best element for the final boss is Wood since it's multihit and clears away Alpha's barrier just from the charge shot.

EDIT
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands - I'm back on my bullshit again, apparently. I actually want to try my hand at hex editing the executable to bypass the copy protection check (someone else already did this for Dune 2 which yes thank you), but that's a lot of debugging/asm I'd have to learn in a short amount of time. Anybody got a guide for reverse-engineering MS-DOS games?

Advance Wars - up to Aerial Ace or whatever that first mission against Eagle is called. This could have been a fast mission but they only gave me one Transport Copter and Eagle insists on shooting it down with his copters first, so I have to grind my way over to his HQ instead of seizing the means of production (I haven't tried to get rockets in range of that isolated factory quick enough to stop his capture of it and that would work too, I want to say I haven't tried it yet simply because of those same copters)
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Bean wrote: 1 year agoNow if that one rare Liquid Metal Slime accessory drop would actually drop, that would be nice. Putting rare drops on a rare enemy that rarely wants to stick around is always a silly idea.
Yep. At this rate, I'm going to 100% the game without a break just because of all the money and medals I've been able to grind up to buy missing weapons while taking down nearly 70 of those little buggers in general. It's apparently a 5% drop, so yeah. Odds are not coming through here.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt

Post by Slimeman01 »

I'm seconding the Pizza Tower notion- this game is phenomenal, and with my playthrough only being 5 hours to beat the final boss, this leads to excellent replay value and speedrunning tactics!
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

pruned my nintendo switch wishlist - somehow re:boot camp ended up on it twice. still scratching my head over that one.

Advance Wars 1: up to Mission 8; going through Sami's Debut because her capture power is more resistant to disruption and Eagle is... Eagle. Max might be a better fit? I'm not actually sure what the different loadouts are.

Advance Wars DS: Hard Campaign Mission 1 beaten... in 46 days. Eugh. I know I can do better than that.

BBN3: PlantMan pulverized, with a few battles to spare on the style change (which is... probably going to be Aqua at this point due to timing but I can just rush the plot if it is)

Adventures In Dosbox: I managed to install Gruntz and Civ2 into a Win95 Dosbox-x system, so... that's a thing I can do now I guess? Still poking around trying to pin down which games need Windows and which ones can be played in DOS (anything with 32 bit executables will require some form of Windows just out of necessity but some of these 16 bit games need Windows and some of them don't and I don't know off the top of my head which are which). Win95 is interesting but it's a bit outside of my wheelhouse - Win3 would feel more "correct" for a dosbox while Win98 would be closer to the paradigm that I'm used to (Win95 has some weird quirks that I'm not yet used to and I'm starting to dig my heels into this one - this is the fifth dosbox-x hdd image specifically for Windows that I've made in the past week and I want to stick to it).
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Grand Theft Auto IV continues. 84.17%. You know, I was going to come on here and make an observation about Dimitri Rascalov, the game's villain. How he, strangely, just didn't really appear all that much in the game. Like...Officer Tenpenny, he was omnipresent throughout GTA: San Andreas. You wouldn't get through a few missions without him stringing your sorry ass around for his bloodthirsty schemes. In GTA: Vice City, Sonny Forelli wasn't around that much, but he kept tabs on you frequently and threatened you a lot. Dimitri, though? Dude basically up and disappeared after he betrays you and kidnaps your cousin (again). So I was going to be all about that.

Then I played Florian Cravic's Bernie Crane's second mission, Union Drive, and he finally reappears, as his goons try to blackmail Bernie's lover, the "family values" deputy mayor. His gopniki thugs also show up in the following mission for Bernie. In between the two, he calls Niko, trying to carrot-and-stick him into forcing said deputy mayor to accept some contract of some sort. But therein is the rub: For someone who seemed ready to take out Niko, and for all the apprehension Niko shows about potentially being killed by the bretva, Dimitri doesn't seem all that interested in getting rid of him. Like, it's almost like he just coincidentally stumbled upon Niko while he was busy trying to skim a deal off of City Hall. I mean, were it not for Niko hunting down Florian, there's this sense Dimitri probably wouldn't have gone after Niko for at least a couple years. It's such a weird thing.

Still, another villain sticks out in that vein: Bukharin, the human smuggling boss Niko owes money to. He got introduced during Dimitri's betrayal...and hasn't been seen since. No calls, no implied appearances, no goons, nothing. For someone who is implied to be an even bigger deal than Dimitri, that's really weird. It's almost like the villains don't really matter all that much here.

On a related note, another bizarre thing is that there have been dialogue moments (like tonight, during Union Drive) where events are described which the game gives the impression have been discussed before, but I've never witnessed directly. Some of them are innocuous, but there are others—like Niko namedropping the two survivors of his unit to Roman as though he has discussed them before—that seem really off. I feel like sometimes the game just glosses over important plot details, and it's a little jarring when it does.

Meanwhile, I'm halfway through what seems to be the last side mission set, the Fixer jobs. One mission gave me a lot of trouble, but the rest have been refreshingly easy and quick. The last one I did tonight I was able to just get out of my car, fire a rocket, and BOOM, done. (The benefit of "missions wipe Wanted Levels clean" certainly helps.) My hope is that this weekend I'll reach 90%, next week I finish the game.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

so i'm giving up on the win95 dosbox thing - i did something that made the cdrom drive completely inaccessible to the guest system. I'll make an attempt to install gruntz to a win31 instance but because of the directx requirement i do not have high hopes for it.

I got a N64 NSO-compatible gamepad from RetroFighters today... and proceeded to not want to play it at all. Goldeneye feels about the same, Zeldas feel a hell of a lot better. I just wish ZR and R were switched around (ZR is a lot easier for me to use as R than R is)
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Follow up to Grand Theft Auto IV: Now at 90.66%. All side missions are done and all required random characters have been encountered, all that's left (hopefully) is to finish the storyline. Currently midway through Phil Bell's and Jimmy Pegorino's missions, and I've yet to start the Gambetti missions. Not entirely sure if I've done enough to clear everything (possible I've yet to do one activity or another with the required friends).

Of course, I open my mouth about the villains, and the villains finally show up. Bulgarin (telling I got his name wrong, shows how much I forgot about him) finally shows up and sends an army after Niko during one mission. And we get the full details (for once) on what Bulgarin's beef is with Niko. Still, my point kind of still stands, since it's very clear we are fast reaching the endgame and only now are Dimitri and Bulgarin making appearances. It makes me wonder why the devs did that.

Fixer missions were fun and short. I was actually surprised when I finished the last one and got the cheevo, I thought I had another mission or two to play. Random characters...I'm kind of glad that's done with, not because they weren't fun but because I probably would've missed them somehow and then have to make up for it in the end.

I don't expect to finish the game this weekend, but I'll probably have it done next week. And now I can start thinking about what to do next. It's always been my intention to follow up GTA IV with BioShock Infinite DLC, namely Clash in the Clouds followed by Burial at Sea Part 1. Then I would return to GTA IV and play The Lost and Damned. Then I'd repeat it with Burial at Sea Part 2 and The Ballad of Gay Tony.

With that said, I'm probably going to put my Switch to more use by playing Paper Mario. I made an attempt many moons ago to play through the game, I think I stopped at Chapter 3 or something. And I've always wanted to give the Paper Mario series a fair shake. I have N64 Online, might as well play before raocow gets into it.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Wound up getting that one item drop in Dragon Quest Heroes II after way too long of a search. By that point, since the item itself is an experience-boosting accessory, the only people that could use it effectively would be the main characters if I switched their classes. Everyone else was maxed out. Also chuckled when two more of it dropped from the next ten or so enemies that were taken down. Anyway, all that's left is getting all the weapons and getting every weapon type to max proficiency for the 100% save file. Had that accessory dropped way sooner, I would've taken a break from the game. Now, I might as well power on through and finish it off.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I played through Dark Souls Remastered and actually finished it for the first time (specifically Remastered, I've beaten PTDE probably 20-30 times)

I moved onto Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin now. I've played quite a bit of the original DS2, and when SotFS came out I ran through it once, found it weird, and never came back to it. I don't even know the last time I did a playthrough of either version of the game at this point, that SotFS run might have been it. So I've not only forgot a lot about the game, but even what I remember is unreliable since they moved around all the enemy and item positions in this version. So I suppose it feels somewhat fresh, but I don't love some of the changes too. DS2 always had a problem with spammy enemy placement, and you'd figure if they're gonna move enemies around they'd do less of that, but I've found in a lot of places it's just different enemy spam. I'll generally take my time going through areas, but when I suddenly get ganked by 4 turtle knights who were all placed right next to each other, I'll probably just run past them cause it's not worth the time/risk to fight.

Also the movement being locked to 8 directions is as awkward and annoying as ever.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

spent most of three hours installing windows 95 into a dosbox (again) only this time I made sure to not lose the CD-ROM drivers when installing DirectX 6. So now I can play Gruntz inside of that Win95 box. And I think I found part of a workaround I need to play it "outside" of said box, I just need to have access to the Launcher (and add a windowing wrapper because Win10 does not like legacy fullscreen)

AWDS: Koal's kicking my ass, I forgot that Hard Campaign actually has teeth if you can't nab factories quickly.

Sparks of Hope: still cleaning up world 1 (I'm actually kind of glad that I don't get penalized for finishing with a KO'd character in Sparks of Hope, I just need to get the "Recover HP after victory" abilities ASAP).
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

Have beaten every main level of AltverZ at the moment, including the Extra stages. NMTX is... A thing. One moment it's the hardest part of the mod by far, the next it's the easiest. We don't get it either, aside from "it's still new and they haven't fully balanced those levels yet, we guess?" Overall would recommend it, however.

Recently, we got the urge to replay an Animal Crossing. But we didn't want to go back to our old village in New Leaf, and didn't want to play New Horizons at all, so... We split the difference and got a used copy of Animal Crossing: New Leaf and have been playing that instead, on a brand new save. The game holds up way better than we thought it would compared to New Horizons, like we honestly don't feel much was lost aside from "no placing furniture outside", which is kind of a shame, but it's honestly felt worth it thus far. except for that damn "100% approval to get a permit" thing seriously WHO signed off on that one isabelle

In addition, we were recently gifted and now on Floor 3 of Pizza Tower and ADORING this game, holy cow. It's rare we ever decide to just, actually replay levels in a game to play them faster/find more secrets/whatever, but Pizza Tower is one of those games. We've actually done no-hit runs of bosses. For FUN. This game feels like the dev somehow read our mind on our favorite aspects of certain games and just, put them into its own video game, and it's amazing. PLEASE play Pizza Tower if you haven't already.

what does it say about the modern AAA videogames industry that our three major games right now are "a game mod", "a decade-old game", and "an indie game"
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

camwoodstock wrote: 1 year ago what does it say about the modern AAA videogames industry that our three major games right now are "a game mod", "a decade-old game", and "an indie game"
its been that way for the past decade my sibs
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

camwoodstock wrote: 1 year ago what does it say about the modern AAA videogames industry that our three major games right now are "a game mod", "a decade-old game", and "an indie game"
It says nothing at all.

Anyway, it is done. Didn't expect to be done so fast, but Grand Theft Auto IV is finished. 100%, playing out both endings. 96.7 hours.

The endgame...it's hard to articulate what I feel about it. It had some very good ideas in play, narratively speaking. But I also think that there was not enough to distinguish the two paths in terms of gameplay. Both have the same last mission in principle up until the last third, where both the narrative and the gameplay mechanic split. The mission(s) were kind of a drag, made difficult by limited heals. I died multiple times because of this. The checkpoints were nice, buuuuut they suffered from the same reset problem: Ammo doesn't reset, nor does armor.

Narratively...
It's worth saying that I was spoiled long ago about The Choice, and how it ends up with either Roman or Kate dying. So it didn't impact me as much as it probably should. (Though I must say, the fact that Niko directly had a hand in Roman's death by letting his parry direct the gun into the crowd was horrifying. Instinct over perception, worst thing.) I do appreciate that the choice basically twists the knife by making the person whose advice you take die, emphasizing that you made a terrible choice no matter what.

A minor touch I liked: After the shooting, the game places you in the Bohan safehouse, and Niko is back in his original clothes. The additional touch of setting A Dish Served Cold in the boat Niko arrived in was good, gave a false sense of security that we've bookended the story, let's have a happy ending to what has been a miserable experience.

Honestly, I preferred the Deal ending, my previous statements about Dimitri notwithstanding. It fits in line with how much Niko has been broken in his life. There is a greater oomph to the loss, even though I never cared much for Roman. Moreover, we see Dimitri as he truly is: A serial backstabber who only cares about his ambition, killing off Pegorino (who, let's be real, was a joke of a mob boss, despite his airs) when it becomes clear he's baggage. And then the phonecalls after the credits: Brucie for the first time in his life is fucking bewildered, completely lost as he comes to grips with his best friend/closet crush dying. Mallory really twisting the knife in revealing the pregnancy and pointing out that the child will grow up without a father, and how she knows firsthand how that goes. Kate, who forcefully turned her back on Niko not hours before Roman's death, opening up in ways she didn't the entire time we knew her. The ambiguity of what awaits Niko, now that he's free...but without anything. A purely alienated state of affairs...I strangely understand that feeling.

Revenge, on the other hand...while the bookend was cool, kind of undermined itself in the sense that the writers clearly had no experience writing relationship dialogue. Kate and Niko's final conversation felt overly ominous and extremely awkward, especially for two people who were only starting to acknowledge the nature of their relationship. Niko was clearly in pain, but it was more because he made himself vulnerable for a brief moment. And honestly, I've seen that sort of thing done better elsewhere. Packie's post-game phone call breakdown was pretty sad though...

...Also, what the fuck happened to Bulgarin? He just disappeared after his one appearance in that mission I mentioned. His absence was bizarre.
I've spoken highly of the game's music choices and overall radio soundtrack. The use of "Швайне" by Glukoza as the first track you hear when you get in a car was brilliant. I will say the same of the ending: The use of "Pruit Igoe" by Philip Glass as the closing song before credits...that was fucking beautiful. It's a shame we never hear the full song on the radio, though it is there:

Of course...I did not reach 100% when I finished the storyline. One of the main drawbacks is that, for about 5 or 6 missions at the end of the game (from

That Special Someone

to the final mission), you're locked out of the Friends system. Yes, I know, I hated it. But it just so happens that I needed to do one friend activity to reach 100%. Cue 2-3 hours of trying to figure what the missing activity was...which was playing Darts with Packie. (Thank fuck I did the

Revenge

path first, since I could still use

Roman's taxi service

after the game ended during Drinking activities.)

Overall? Honestly, given a lot of the antipathy I've heard about this game, it's a lot better than people make it out to be. Was it a great game? Not by any stretch of the imagination, especially almost 15 years since release. Was it flawed? Certainly: The incredibly needy Friends system, the poor PC port, the somewhat arbitrary bits to 100% the game being similar to (though less obnoxious than) Bully...there were a lot of issues. These issues ultimately prevented me from doing such things as using the Girlfriend system outside the bare minimum, and I never watched TV or went deep into the talk radio (which I enjoyed in previous entries) Does that make it a bad game? Nah. It was still a good game, and I still appreciate being able to play this 10+ years after buying it.

I'm going to hold off on gaming a spell. Got some letters I need to write. Then, probably starting Paper Mario before segueing into the BioShock Infinite DLC.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

i forgot how uneven the difficulty curve in AWDS's hard campaign is. like I got stuck on missions 1, 5, and 8 (but getting stuck on 8 is normal since that's when you lose the advantage of AI not using Tag powers) but I breezed my way through the other missions (well I say breezed but I only got a couple S-Ranks on predeployed maps. Game's not exactly hard if you're just trying to beat missions). Up to mission 10 now (using Drake+Grit which this combo usually wrecks the AI) and I need to remember to grab the map for the Black Boats mission because damn it they're still cheaper than landers.

Ocarina of Time: Finally picked this one back up after getting upset at an NSO crash killing my progress (I'm savestating every time I do a regular save now, just in case it happens again). Grabbed the Adult's Wallet and 9/10 beans, gonna get the Giant's Wallet and a nice fat nest egg before I go ruin the timelines.

Paper Mario 64: Finally picked this one back up after getting upset at an NSO crash killing my progress. Crystal King has been shattered and now it's time to make my way up to Star Haven go get the last three power up blocks that I missed.

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands: So apparently after so many fights in the arena the game just throws a whole bunch of CR 15 monsters at you all at once (three Rampagers, three Mastyrials, a Mountain Stalker, and a Bulette - the level cap in this game is 9 so even if you're on New Game+ you're outmatched and need all your powers available). It... might be doable in a clean game? But I'm not equipped to do it (I don't have an arcane spellcaster at the moment and so can't cast the all-solving Web spell)
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i almost started tactics ogre yesterday....
raekuul wrote: 1 year ago Ocarina of Time: Finally picked this one back up after getting upset at an NSO crash killing my progress (I'm savestating every time I do a regular save now, just in case it happens again). Grabbed the Adult's Wallet and 9/10 beans, gonna get the Giant's Wallet and a nice fat nest egg before I go ruin the timelines.

Paper Mario 64: Finally picked this one back up after getting upset at an NSO crash killing my progress. Crystal King has been shattered and now it's time to make my way up to Star Haven go get the last three power up blocks that I missed.
nso n64 emulation being shit????? who'd have fucking thought
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I'm getting real close to getting 100% in Dragon Quest Heroes II. Seven items left to get. Five are weapon drops from this one dungeon that's randomized while the other two are waiting in the special shop. It's not too bad, but we're still talking a ten minute run that may or may not have what I want.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago i almost started tactics ogre yesterday....
raekuul wrote: 1 year ago Ocarina of Time: Finally picked this one back up after getting upset at an NSO crash killing my progress (I'm savestating every time I do a regular save now, just in case it happens again). Grabbed the Adult's Wallet and 9/10 beans, gonna get the Giant's Wallet and a nice fat nest egg before I go ruin the timelines.

nso n64 emulation being shit????? who'd have fucking thought
unfortunately it's also my only real option at this juncture, since retroarch's n64 emulator doesn't actually run on Switch at the moment. Like it boots the testrom so it's "functional" but it won't actually load any games.
11clock

Post by 11clock »

I’ve been playing the Spongebob platformers from Purple Lamp.

BFBB Rehydrated was pretty fun, but it felt like I was playing a beta with the absolute avalanche of bugs and glitches. I learned that the game lost development time from COVID, so it’s pretty unfortunate.

Cosmic Shake so far is proving to be much better, with very fun level design and a much more polished moveset…. but it still feels somewhat unfinished. I get it, Purple Lamp is not a big team and they are on a tight budget so they can only do so much, but with how gorgeous these games look the unpolished areas are incredibly distracting.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

steam next fest started so here's my highlights so far:

Rusted Moss - run'n'gun metroidvania with a really well-implemented grappling hook mechanic that leads to really cool exploration potential, demo seemed to have a lot of meat on its bones and i didn't even finish it bcuz i was sold by the end of the first area

Cavern of Dreams - n64-style platformer without all the bad parts - smooth controls, no lives system, smart level design and clever puzzles, the world feels super interconnected and i ended up playing it for like two hours just trying to find secrets. peak video games

The Last Case of Benedict Fox - this seems to be a really neat concept, combination of metroidvania & detective game, tho it ran like crap on my PC so combat was a bit jank and i gave up on the first boss 'cause i couldn't really play the game well enough... keeping an eye on it tho
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
11clock

Post by 11clock »

I beat Pirate Goo Lagoon in Spongebob Squarepants: Cosmic Shake. Yeah, this game wasn't ready. I like your games, Purple Lamp, but I think that you need to up your QA, and don't be afraid to delay if you need more development time. For now I'm putting this game on the backburner. I'd rather play as a gamer than as a playtester.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Next Fest is this week.

I got 41 demos.

Why do I fucking do this to myself
Crow wrote: 1 year ago steam next fest started so here's my highlights so far:
Thought about getting Rusted Moss, but my list is huge enough as it is. Also, got serious Momodora vibes from the visual style. Not sure what to make of that.

Do have Last Case though :pal:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image