(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by thatguyif »

Work's starting to clear up a bit. raocow's SMG playthrough made me decide to go through Super Mario 64 via the 3D All Stars. It's still somewhat fun, but perhaps it's not meant for portable Switch? I'll have to try it on controller soonish. 12 stars so far. It's interesting that, technically, you can access Wing Cap without ever doing more than the first world (100-coin star is tricky but doable), you can earn enough stars to access Dire Dire Docks/Bowser in the Fire Sea without clearing Bowser in the Dark World, and similarly earn enough stars to unlock Bowser in the Sky without clearing Bowser in the Fire Sea. They probably never intended you to play the game like that, but still...

I think, when I finish SM64, I'll go into completing Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga, alongside Metroid: Samus Returns.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

thatguyif wrote: 1 year ago They probably never intended you to play the game like that, but still...
They very likely did considering how much of World is technically optional if you go through the shortest route possible. Sunshine is very much obsessed with structure on the other hand for some reason, but I still like it.

Megami Tensei II - Probably the final grind? I'm at the Fly Village after beating up Mithra and Astaroth. Astaroth was tough but using a few Jewels (Beads?) and the Vajra sword helped, Mithra was also a bit tough but Sword Knight, Heroine and Hero did a lot of the job. 9 Tailed Fox also helped with Mediama, but I also had Heroine doing double duty as a backup healer. Gonna work on upgrading my guns before heading to Lucifer's Temple to fight Beelzebub and get to Lucifer's Castle for the Hinokagutsuchi iirc (Hero needs a new sword) and recruit said Lucifer, almost at Suzuki Company.

EDIT: Finally. YHVH is dead and I killed him. A long standing personal demon (haha) has been slain. Now to move on to better things.

EDIT 2: Grandia - Hoooooo. Did a lot today in the span of like five hours? Finished the Valley of the Flying Dragon (there were so many paths obscured by the camera), and went through Mt. Typhoon and Typhoon Tower which were both somewhat of an ordeal respectively. The Serpent was a bit tough yet manageable, but only because I'm very stupid and conservative with SP. Don't be me. Shotgunnova's FAQ describes it as sort of piss easy (not their exact words) so I'm clearly playing wrong. Next up is Lama Mountains as we get closer to finishing Disc 1. :eyes:
-------
EDIT 3:
One day later:

Grandia - Did Lama Mountains, the Volcano and the Twin Towers. This game will not stop hitting all the chords with me now, the Gumbo Village questline was super cute and the stuff at Twin Towers were really touching. Man I'm not ready for

Sue to leave the party

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Through Chapter 2 now in Xenoblade Chronicles 3. Saw how long the next one is from a mini-guide, and yeah. This will probably take at least as long as the previous two did combined. Ten hours in, by the way. Fun game so far.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Grandia - Past the Mysterious Vanishing Hill and Pirate Island and into Disc 2. I'm also past Virgin Forest (lol) and Petrified Forest (;_;), parked at the werehouse savepoint in Tower of Doom. Milda's a huge cutie, fucked up that the big guest characters (her and Gadwin) are just absolute darlings. Also the part where

Sue leaves your party

was just heartwrenching. I wanted her to be with us forever.

Doom - Beat Knee-Deep in the Dead. I used some saves but man it's still pretty tough! Super fun game, though, gotta start Episode Two soon.
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Working through the side and hero quest grind that is Chapter 3 right now in Xenoblade Chronicles 3. Would be doing better at it if I'd stop exploring areas that have high level enemies that I'm just running from to get some quick warp points now.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

I'm back to punching above my weight in Xenoblade 3, myself - I'm level 66 and... probably about halfway through Chapter 5? I keep getting sidetracked by exploring. It doesn't help that I basically need to fight stuff higher level than I am to keep uncorking classes.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Super Mario 64 continues. I'm at 52/120 stars. I feel like, overall, this game has not aged well. The big problem I feel is that the controls were always just too iffy, especially for certain tasks. Like the Big Eyeball star in Big Boo's Mansion requires (as far as I can tell) grabbing a Vanish Cap, then rushing to do a double-jump/U-turn jump into a wall jump, then rush to the screen before the Vanish Cap fades. It's the middle part that took me 20 minutes to get right: Either I didn't have enough space to get the height for the wall kick, or I didn't execute the u-turn jump in a spot that's really hard to execute anything, or the wall jump went off at an angle. Some stars aren't that hard, but when you have some weird tedium going on, like any coin star, it becomes frustrating to go through.

It also feels like making mistakes are far more costly than they should because a lot of things feel sluggish. Red Coins for Hazy Maze Cave, for example: You fall off that platform, you have start the platform over, and it's slow as all get out. Still, I'll chug along at this. No further progress for the next few days though.

That said, also randomly joined this streamer's Civ V campaign with his friends. Got Oda Nobunaga. It's been fun, though I fucked up early on by accidentally buying a Work Boat (which has made my gold count a little unappealing). May declare war on Morocco next time the session starts up.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

raekuul wrote: 1 year agoI'm back to punching above my weight in Xenoblade 3, myself - I'm level 66 and... probably about halfway through Chapter 5? I keep getting sidetracked by exploring. It doesn't help that I basically need to fight stuff higher level than I am to keep uncorking classes.
I'm finding myself running through areas I shouldn't be, too, but without fighting as much to make sure it's easier to level up classes. Level 23 I think halfway through Chapter 3 now? I'm usually 4-5 levels under what I'm facing when it's time to fight and avoiding many normal encounters which will probably screw me up when it's time to do item collecting, so yeah. Game's basically been a case of can I keep my healers from getting aggro while I whittle them down at the moment? The answer is usually.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Oh no

Next Fest is this week

Got 36 demos

send halp
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Grandia - Got majorly distracted the past few days, but finally did Zil Desert, Soldier's Graveyard up to Chang (Dark), Savanna Wilderness, Brinan Plateau and Warp Space/Abandoned Laine. I was not ready for Kung Fu Master. Maybe some other playthrough when I bother to level up magic. Abandoned Laine's third section just reminded me of the Is Vore Illegal thread, it's basically the smash hit sequel to the Anus Castle in one of the Lunar Saturn/PSX games (probably Zophar's last dungeon in Lunar 2).

I also did not bother with super clearing the Savannah outside of getting one Mana Egg because lmao, no checkpoints. Zil Ruins is next.
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I had the time, so I decided to do an extended session of Xenoblade Chronicles 3 tonight. Powered through the second half of Chapter 3 and am right at the tail end of it now. Not much to say other than I'm still going to places I shouldn't be for the quick travel points down the road.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

so today i learned that punching above your weight in Xenoblade 3 is a vicious cycle - to keep unlocking classes for characters other than the class inheritor the monsters you're fighting have to be no less than five levels below the party level.

i'm level 66, and the plot monsters are about level 45.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, that's the reason I'm trying to keep the levels down and just fighting side and some main quest enemies and only going back to fight weaker stuff for items after the fact. It's real tricky since it's so easy to level up. Basically, never use your bonus experience. Kind of wish you could just de-level your characters as you go because of that fact.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Just played 9 rounds of Ninja Kun on MAME despite it technically only having three stages that repeat over and over and also a bonus stage or two so I'll add that to the games beat this year

I first played a bit of Red Earth to test out the latest MAME (only just found out it uses MEWUI instead of command lines now) and made it to Ravange as Leo (i'll play as the other three someday), then I played some Ikki, also on MAME because of its NES port's infamy as the originator of the "kusoge" term and also because NES Works Gaiden reached it in its pre-NES Famicom title coverage and holy shit This Fucks

To be fair Ikki was only called a kusoge because of its dumb setup, it's a farmer's revolt but there's only 1 farmer

Anyway I'm Gonbei and Jajamaru-kun now

-------------------------------------------

EDIT: One day and a few hours later (1:38 am rn)

Grandia - Tried to do Zil Ruins, and I managed through out the dungeon despite the FAQ writer comparing it to Rogue Galaxy (granted Shotgunnova included a rough ASCII map). But the boss kept destroying me, imagine, one enemy and it's two sub hitboxes just going at it through out an entire battle, in Active Time Battle style, and they also have incredible speed, and its Ax's main attack is an AOE sweep attack. And everytime you get attacked you get staggered a bit in the ATB timeline.

So I'm just gonna grind to unlock skills since I didn't level up magic at all. Already levelled Fire to Lv8, 10 and 11 with Justin, Feena and Rapp. Also went out of my way to get an extra Mana Egg in the East Savanna to unlock all magic for Rapp.
Last edited by KobaBeach 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Did a decent chunk of Chapter 4 in Xenoblade Chronicles 3 last night. Going to try to knock down another chunk after some quick work tonight.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Chapter 5 of Xenoblade 3 complete.

All i have to say is "daaaaamn"
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Day 1 of my efforts to play all the Next Fest demos. One was dropped because I found out it was online PvP.

Azure Striker Gunvolt 3
I've seen this game series from time to time from various places. Some Mega Man type game. The third was available as a demo, so I thought why not? Inti Creates puts out good stuff, usually.

Then I realized why not: Controls for this game feel weird. Too weird. I don't like the primary attack being on a bumper, while the face buttons do little in the way of actual attacks unless you do a lock-on. And while the game tutorialized in a light way, it failed to explain how to use Arc Chain, which is a very important mechanic. It took me minutes.

Game felt overwhelming at times, not helped by various amounts of dialogue and a big plot dump after the intro stage that just didn't feel all that appealing. Not to mention the characters seem way too comfortable joining forces with a corporation that were supposedly their enemies? (I dunno, didn't play the first two games) Narrative reeks of too much anime, and bores me. The controls I don't know if I can recommend in good faith, but otherwise…it's fine for people who are into this stuff, but probably not for me.

MiLE HiGH TAXi
Okay, interesting concept: What if Crazy Taxi but with those flying taxis from The Fifth Element? It seems like a cool idea, at least in theory. It's set in a Neo-Toronto of some sort (I recognize the street names and the vertically oriented TTC trams). The demo was short, maybe only 20 minutes. I think there's a kernel of a good game here, especially because it does capture the essence of Crazy Taxi pretty well. Trouble is, the arcade-like speed of Crazy Taxi doesn't really work well in a three-dimensional space, especially when said space has many tight corners and spaces to get around. It just never felt good to move around. Maybe they'll fix this on release, but I dunno.

Inu's Adventure
So, this game ain't much. It's a 3D platformer, where the premise seems to be you're a Shiba Inu escaping a lab filled with robots. The controls are far jankier than they have any right to be. Jumping doesn't feel right, the physics for velocity are way off. I died a bunch of times because I jumped too fast, and the game assumed I was falling (oh yeah, you die from fall damage, how quaint). The robots were cool, but they do so little (and when they kick you, you give off the weirdest death noise…sounds more human than dog). It has some interesting ideas (like comic-based storytelling). But it just feels off.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Day 2. There be a lot of demos.

Jett: The Far Shore
Okay, this is the first interesting game I saw. This game was actually released on EGS and Sony consoles last year, with the Steam release coming with a free expansion pack. It's a first-person adventure game with ship piloting. It's got a very unique style towards it. Feels like…Central Asia? Like this weird cross between old Soviet-era architectural aesthetics and Mongolic/Turkic tribalism. Still, not a lot of the game was shown, namely just the prologue. Still, I liked the vibe going for it. First real game I've liked, so far.

DIMENSIONAL SLAUGHTER
Okay, very short demo to make here. Basically it's an arena FPS, where every kill you make regens your health. Got some Quake II-era graphics going for it, and it's pretty much a fast-paced shooter that kind of reminds me of Tribes. Has a wall jump and stomp mechanic, but the arenas they demonstrated were kind of useless toward that sort of thing. Still, I can see the fun in it, though the interest for me wouldn't last.

Kaku: Ancient Seal
A modern action-adventure game, done by a Chinese developer. Definitely one that fits in with a lot of similar games, including (presumably) Breath of the Wild. You play some wild kid in some ancient time. Low fantasy-esque to a degree. It was a rough start, but eventually got the hang of the game and its quirks. That said, camera controls were a bit much, and eventually the game hard-crashed my computer. It's a very rough-around-the-edges demo.

American Commando
A Quake-esque game that is also Wolfenstein, where your lead character is a World War II era Duke Nukem. Except the voice acting is even more…boring? It's not particularly compelling. Maybe I'm just getting rusty, but I felt like a lot of the time, I wasn't sure my shots were landing. It also didn't help that, in an attempt to properly simulate stairs, I kept feeling stuck against the geometry. Probably played the game longer than I wanted to, in part because the secret "Nazi zombie" level didn't really give a good guide post on one of its objectives and I spent maybe 10-15 minutes trying to find what I was supposed to do. Very clunky.

Mist Slayer
Okay, this game I feel I've seen a couple times before: Action-adventure, trying to clear the land of some dark miasmic force that's spread, hack and slash your way through stuff. Hob, Twilight Princess, stuff like that. Only major difference is that it's a roguelike, with various aspects associated with it. Has a multiplayer element, but I didn't bother trying it. Honestly, it's all right. I wouldn't say it's particularly interesting, but it does an okay job at what it does. Though I will admit the demo basically ended before I really got a chance to examine the roguelike nature of the game.

Gunbrella
All right, first good game to write home about. Looks to be a Metroidvania, by the guys who made Gato Roboto. This is decidedly…less wholesome, but still great. It's a kind of modern, steampunk-looking game, where you're a man wielding a gun that's also an umbrella. The umbrella is extremely powerful, capable of making you dash, go on ziplines, and deflecting AND reflecting bullets. (Also you can glide with it.)

Game feels really good to play. Movement is really good for the most part and aiming is a cinch, and the combat is really solid. The atmosphere is potent: Reminds me in certain ways of Iconoclasts. It also portrays its ominousness very well. And your character is rather dashing! This is definitely a wishlist game. It's likely they'll go long on this game unlike Gato Roboto, but we'll see how they handle it.

Wavetale
Yet another good game worth looking into. A game that gives off Wind Waker vibes, even to the era of graphics that it pulls from (highly stylized GC era). I would even suggest the setting fits it: Submerged city setting, with something important under the surface. I only played for about 15 minutes, but that was enough to be all "YEAH, let me see more of that." Game seems to be about a girl who gains a shadow that helps her move around the waters of where she lives. Movement on this is incredible, especially when you're able to just glide on the water. Also, easy grapples and such. It just feels right. I'll wishlist this one.

Pile Up!
Sooooo, you may as well call this Kowloon Walled City Simulator. Basically you're building a city on a small island, and you do this by building upward in small modules. The modules are given to you ala a card system. It reminds me of a game I played a couple years back called Simmiland, where actions were dictated by the cards you got, and you had to play them out. Obviously, building upward has risks, such as accidentally building a power generator next to a gas tank, or a water tank above an apartment complex. It's interesting for sure. Doubt I'd stay interested long, but it's a good one regardless.

Togges
Hard to describe this one. It's a weird 3D platformer where you are a Roomba Toomba, designed to suck up and spread Togges, these cute little cubes that seem to be matter for the universe. Movement's easy, but to actually get stuff done, you have to spread these cubes in order to activate switches, eat fruit, grab letters, and more. It's a comfy game, and definitely interesting in terms of play. There are a lot of Katamari vibes going on with this one. I doubt I'll get this game, but some people will definitely enjoy it for sure.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Closing in on the end of Chapter 4 in Xenoblade Chronicles 3 now. Also did a few side quests that were listed in the Chapter 5 part of the guide to get to level 40 for the party. First time that I'm a little higher in level than the enemies I'm facing, but I think that'll change once I enter the place I'm going to.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

there's a PSX port of the FF7 retranslation project so now I'm playing that too.

Xenoblade 3: I got a new class thanks to plot and now I'm... back at Lower Maktha Wildwood grinding the unlock points, because apparently my playstyle lends itself well to accidentally being too overlevelled to get unlock points off of the plot monsters (I'm level 71ish, the last boss I fought was level 50). Also holy shit chapter 5's ending.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

When Tears of the Kingdom was announced I decided I should probably go back and finish the DLC from BotW cause I never did that before. I originally played the Wii U version, and when they were drip feeding the DLC content I think I grabbed a couple pieces of the new armor and tried Trial of the Sword one time and said "screw that" cause it had been so long since I played the game I barely remembered how to play and wasn't exactly prepared to jump ring back into the game by doing the hardest challenge in the game. Then when Champion's Ballad came out I had already resigned to the fact that I didn't know how to play any more and wasn't prepared for it. And eventually it was just forgotten. Not to mention I eventually had gotten a Switch which took over my Wii U's HDMI port and went into a box, so I didn't really want to hook it back up.

I didn't even get a copy of BotW until Black Friday last year, but it's sat on my shelf since then until TotK was announced and put me in the mood to finally do another playthrough of BotW, this time actually doing the DLC (though I had to buy it again cause it's a different platform which is sick). It was a fun time! I once again did all 120 shrines in the base game, in addition to completing all the side quests this time (which I didn't do last time). Not planning to get/upgrade all the armor cause who cares. And DEFINITELY not grabbing all Korok Seeds cause I want to actually have fun. Then once I finished all that I bought the DLC and played it over the past week or so, starting with getting all the new armor, playing through Champion's Ballad, then finally tackling Trial of the Sword over the past couple days which was ever looming on the horizon and terrifying me because it looked hard.

I did the first and second trials yesterday and left the final one for today. On my first try this morning I ended up getting to the final floor before dying, though I didn't know it was the final floor and I thought "this is insane is probably only gonna get worse and I'm not interested in redoing 30-45 minutes of work every time so I'm just gonna look up strategies for the end" and that's when I discovered I got to the final floor. Second attempt I died from some moblin smacked me to death in the fire levels. Third attempt was successful and went pretty smoothly. I also looked up the locations of the ancient arrows cause whatever. It actually didn't end up being too bad once I knew how to handle things.

But yeah, guess I'm done BotW for now. First game I played in a few months.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Day 3 of demos. I was exhausted yesterday (need to rethink how I do work so I don't actually work weekends), so I only got to two demos.

The Eternal Cylinder
This is a game that is very interesting, but I have sincere doubts it's for me. Another EGS migrant by the looks of it, made by the team responsible for that strange series Zeno Clash. It's a game where you're some future species, possibly descended from man, facing off against a constantly moving eponymous cylinder, which crushes everything, EVERYTHING, in its path. It's a very pretty game, and an interesting premise based on evolutionary traits mixed with leading a tribe of your kind around. But I feel like the game is not to my taste, as I feel like I'm just constantly on the move, unable to really explore things. Still, it's pretty good.

Meg's Monster
So this was a cute number. It feels like…what a professional Japanese dev would do if they wanted to create Undertale. It's an RPG with an interesting dynamic based on the premise: A couple monsters find a little human girl named Meg looking for her mom. Humanity and monsterdom are not on good terms, enough they initially sought to eat her. However, it turns out, if the girl cries for an extended period of time, the world is destroyed, as evidenced when she starts crying for about 10 seconds and nearly kills the two monsters and causes the world to light up a little. So now the monsters are tasked with protecting her in a very hostile world.

Game has an interesting setup going for it: Battle system takes cues from Pokemon (visually) and Earthbound (mechanically). Your main character, a monster, has 99999 HP, buuuuuut you're also protecting a little girl who starts at like 30 "HP," which is actually the strength of her heart. If you get hit too often, she'll start crying. To calm her down, you give her toys to play with. The game also showcased moments where you can send the girl away, and then you just get to straight fighting. Game is story-heavy as fuck, at least at the start, but it was fine, and adorable. I won't wishlist this, but I think it's interesting.

From today, the number of demos I actually play will be a wild variable, as some of these devs simply remove their demos after Next Fest. We'll see how it plays out.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Chapter 5 has way more side stuff that's not really side stuff, huh? Xenoblade Chronicles 3 continues. It's also right around the part where I was watching someone's stream of the game from there until the end a month or two back, so I'm getting into familiar territory.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

guess who just got smacked across the face with weird tentacle tongues in a nightmare flesh palace in Grandia for like three? hours in game??????????????''''''''''''''''

it was me.

i did it to level up water spells

working on fire now at the savanna

might play tobal 1&2 soon
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Oh no. I've almost caught up to the guide I've been using in Xenoblade Chronicles 3. Might just take care of that last Chapter 5 side quest today and then get ready for the

big ol' heavy plot dump that is the end of Chapter 5 and start of 6

. Yep.