(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by KobaBeach »

Bravely Default - Grinded for a hot second on Centro Keep, gonna try to boost Monk and White Mage a bit for now, then work on Black Mage and Knight after Heinkel.

--------------------------------------

Somehow seeing a blood test needle inside me doesn't weird me out anymore. That's just what happens when you grow up anemic and have to do thousands upon thousands of blood tests and take a whole bunch of vaccines. Slept well today though, a good rest at night then a good nap in the middle of the afternoon after my batteries ran dry (to the point of getting super anxious). It's hard technically being special needs.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Shantae: Risky's Revenge: Whoops, I guess my brain just filtered out where the other water segment in Hypno Labyrinth was.

various classic MD/Genesis games, courtesy of both Sega Classics and NSO Genesis: wait there's more than just shaq fu and sonic?

Super Metroid: "Can we get crocomire while we're here?" "We have crocomire at home."
KobaBeach wrote: 1 year agoBravely Default
I forget, does BD use the 3DS friend list or does it use its own separate friend list?
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

raekuul wrote: 1 year ago
KobaBeach wrote: 1 year agoBravely Default
I forget, does BD use the 3DS friend list or does it use its own separate friend list?
I have zero clue, I should check about making my Mii show up. My 3DS is soft modded though, so I don't want to directly go in Nintendo's servers on it.
raekuul wrote: 1 year ago various classic MD/Genesis games, courtesy of both Sega Classics and NSO Genesis: wait there's more than just shaq fu and sonic?
There is a lot of really good shit on Mega Drive and Mega CD, mostly on the arcade-y side of things, but a lot of it is buried under really bad western shovelware (not that there isn't any good western made games, there are a lot) and in the case of Mega CD, weak FMV titles. I guess that's the double edged sword bit of making your console easy to program.

Mega CD does have more appeal if it's a console where you're willing to put up with ports due to novelty or disregarding access to better versions released in recent years, like Final Fight or MK. It does have some bomb ass titles like Soul Star and Lunar EB, though.

Sonic CD depends on how you feel about it, it's a divisive game. Personally I don't like it because its exploration doesn't feel as natural, even if Sonic stages are the ultimate 2D platformer playgrounds. There is the option of using the special stages to get the good ending and futures more easily, but I became incredibly rusty at the UFOs in the span of a few years. The remaster, which will be added to Sonic Origins, excuse SO's "Anniversary mode only widescreen" nonsense, adds a better Spindash, Tails and possibly better engine and physics (need to start it soon it's on my Steam rotting away), so feel free to skip the original for that should you wish.

Un-Worked Designs patches on WD's RPGs are a must, will add that Silver Star doesn't need it unless you want uncensored enemy sprites and graphics and the lowercase font to be used (and edited a bit so it doesn't look jarring in text, it was unused), and Vay's patch has the issue of the MP counter underflowing when running on Auto Battle, this is restored by exiting the battle. Text is the same however, good and bad parts.

Supper apparently couldn't find much documentation on the Mega CD's innards so a lot of the patches are kind of bullshit-y. There are also no good Mega CD and 32X debuggers yet. :pray:

I haven't played them yet, but the Laserdisc ports: Road Avenger, Time Gal, Dragon's Lair, seem solid compared to the majority of FMV titles, if hindered by lesser video capabilities. Also pretty good cel animation, it's in worse quality, but hey who can say no to a nice cartoon or anime.

32X, well, there's Virtua Fighter (really fun, really solid), Doom (if you want to see what it's like instead of playing on Choco Doom or GZDoom or the DOSbox pack-ins Bethesda sells), Virtua Racing Deluxe, Space Harrier (better than SpaHarri2 on MegaDrive), After Burner, Tempo, but a lot is just really mid gameplay-wise, or worse ports of MegaDrive games.

32X CD titles are worth it to play for a hot second just to see the discrepancy in quality from the originals to the port, it's roughly above YouTube video quality, which is a marvel when you think about the MegaDrive. But they're all a novelty. Surgical Strike 32XCD's entire existence gives me whiplash along with its bizarre video framing (it looks like a nightmare to play, but it's so surreal), but again, you don't need these.

Maybe if Sonic 2 Special Edition was real (what am I talking about it is real /j) it'd be worth more than a curio. Excuse my navel-gazing comment on the S2SE Archive.org page, I'm a sperg.

Sorry for the wall of text, SEGA stan since I was a wee cub, roughly around the time they were considering ending the Dreamcast actually, maybe a year or two before (1999/2000).
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I'm playing Dragon Ball FighterZ for some reason. Guess the DB kick wasn't done after Xenoverse 2.
Matthew_Coco
I do be vibin' though >o<
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Matthew_Coco »

Just beat Super Turrican. Currently finishing JUMP and starting Chrono Trigger.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

i managed to misplace my switch :ehh:

Might and Magic 6: There's a Skill Emphasis Mod too in addition to the randomizer but dear GOD does it have a bad case of early-game hell.

Bravely Default: literally in the middle of fighting World 3's Chaugmar. Then I can go bother Yulyana and finally get my free-job-grinding ability
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Played a bit of Arc the Lad II on my Vita and made it to the part where you have to go to the Not-Statue-of-Liberty in Prodias to find Shante, but she's not there because I forget already (

she's actually working with the Cabal for the first two hours or so

). I don't feel like playing it in JP. Need to merge both saves on my PC if I feel like it, I should still have my old save from like 2018.

Also did some King's Field (1j), but I wasn't able to get the English translated ISO as a PSX eBoot. Might have to disable the compression setting in the program I use, gonna do it later today as a test.

I also played some Summon Night and I'm at Chapter 2 but the second battle in it destroyed me. Banossa... I'm playing like if you had Brave Clears in this game, so a sort of low level challenge with minimal level ups allowed (more or less "Protag can level up to around the enemies' max level, rest of the party should be around 1 below"). It's kinda fun for me, but I can imagine why it wouldn't be for others.

My Vita is also sadly nearly fit to burst. With all the RPG ROMs on my Retroarch folder and the 13 (!!!) PSX eBoots I have pirated on Adrenaline from my own making, through PSX2PSP and PKGj Sony server piracy, I only have roughly 1GB left.

And, yes Retroarch, it's a shame the people running it are scummy because it's been pretty convenient for my Vita. I still stick to dedicated emulators rather than front ends on my PC, though, it's how I was raised.

EDIT: At Chapter 3 in Summon Night (PSX). Used the power of Capitalism to purchase a bunch of F-Aids to heal up in the Optius goons and Banossa battles. Will try to do the Sivon subquest and the "Natsumi and Gazel steal food from the Golden Society" chapter when I can.

I haven't really done anything in KF1j either so I'll try to test the eBoot, put some PC saves in the console, maybe see if I can put some GBA titles on my 3DS (mostly just Sword of Mana, maybe Circle of the Moon, update my DQ5 DS save...). It'll take a bit and it'll be annoying and cumbersome but... Maybe check if I have any MCD or TGCD ISOs on my Vita, to see if I can free up a bit of space while at it.

I also did a bit of Sonic Chronicles and. I give up at the Swatbot MkII battle, it feels barely possible.
Matthew_Coco wrote: 1 year ago Just beat Super Turrican. Currently finishing JUMP and starting Chrono Trigger.
Heavily suggesting Dragon Quest III and V, Front Mission, Goemon 2, Live-A-Live (is actually gonna get an HD-2D remake on Switch at least, but it'll take a while), Ogre Battle, Rudra no Hihou and Star Ocean for more SNES (g)oldies. They are also all translated. Star Ocean, though, is a matter of you not minding the automated in battle movements, it's entirely command based with an action-y sort of overlay for this one, Star Ocean 2 would be more of a "true action RPG", but semantics, they're both ARPGs.

I'd add Tales of Phantasia if the PSX version wasn't such an improvement across the board, outside of the theme song kind of being more generic now instead of super retro synth-poppy. Also the SNES patch is so shit, part of it is translated, part of it is made up on the spot Working Designs-style edgy drivel. Star Ocean's remake seems to improve the gameplay (haven't played it yet) by making it play like SO2, but it also removes the FFX/Secret of Mana styled submaps in place of an overworld, which is a shame.

EDIT: If you're still there, I also suggest possibly SMW Yeah!! as a manageable JP Mario hack that can be played relatively without savestates. I'd add Romancing Mario, but I'm not 100% sure it's friendly? I think I'm doing okay playing it without tools but...
Image Image
Matthew_Coco

Post by Matthew_Coco »

Matthew_Coco wrote: 1 year ago Just beat Super Turrican. Currently finishing JUMP and starting Chrono Trigger.
Heavily suggesting Dragon Quest III and V, Front Mission, Goemon 2, Live-A-Live (is actually gonna get an HD-2D remake on Switch at least, but it'll take a while), Ogre Battle, Rudra no Hihou and Star Ocean for more SNES (g)oldies. They are also all translated. Star Ocean, though, is a matter of you not minding the automated in battle movements, it's entirely command based with an action-y sort of overlay for this one, Star Ocean 2 would be more of a "true action RPG", but semantics, they're both ARPGs.

I'd add Tales of Phantasia if the PSX version wasn't such an improvement across the board, outside of the theme song kind of being more generic now instead of super retro synth-poppy. Also the SNES patch is so shit, part of it is translated, part of it is made up on the spot Working Designs-style edgy drivel. Star Ocean's remake seems to improve the gameplay (haven't played it yet) by making it play like SO2, but it also removes the FFX/Secret of Mana styled submaps in place of an overworld, which is a shame.

EDIT: If you're still there, I also suggest possibly SMW Yeah!! as a manageable JP Mario hack that can be played relatively without savestates. I'd add Romancing Mario, but I'm not 100% sure it's friendly? I think I'm doing okay playing it without tools but...
[/quote]

Sorry, still getting used to this forum thing so if it's formatted weird, my bad.

I actually have most of the games you recommended! If only I had the time for them...
Isn't SMW Yeah!! the one with that Luigi boss? I've seen and played many hacks back in the day that they just kind of blend together.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Matthew_Coco wrote: 1 year ago Sorry, still getting used to this forum thing so if it's formatted weird, my bad.

I actually have most of the games you recommended! If only I had the time for them...
Isn't SMW Yeah!! the one with that Luigi boss? I've seen and played many hacks back in the day that they just kind of blend together.
It's fine, we're at the point where most people aren't used to forum bbcode. I only am because I used to hang out in some minor forums here and there (and the SRB2 forum, which I ended up rejoining and merging my old account) circa 2008 before I joined here almost 10 years ago (jesus).

Ah, that's great. I didn't mention others I've played like, Donkey Kong Country, ActRaiser, etc, because I thought you'd have played those already. I also thought about mentioning Romancing SaGa 2&3 (1 SNES/WSC isn't very good, it's a guilty pleasure of mine), as SaGa is my favorite JRPG series and RS2 is a favorite of mine, but the only proper translation they had was the remasters, which are a bit ugly. Thankfully they can be played in a lot of modern platforms, at the very least, PS4, Switch and PC.

Another problem with mentioning RS2&3 is that RS2 at least is super hard, and both can get really opaque. A Japanese video game wiki I like to read, Game Catalog @wiki, even ranks RomaSaGa2 as a sort of acquired taste. It was definitely an acquired taste for me, but I managed to make it work as I learned the mechanics and ruined a few files (thank god for the guide on GameFAQs).

As for time, I just try to play what I feel like. It results in playing up to 60 RPGs at once in my case but oh well! I can live with it myself! :pal: I should play more WRPGs though. I understand not having time, so many of them are like 20 hours long and they're a huge undertaking, especially if you're working a 9 to 5 or you're a parent. My advantage is that I'm like, a NEET and a shut-in.

As for SMW Yeah, it is indeed the one with the Luigi boss. A lot of hacks also kind of blend together for me due to me not being the biggest Mario stan, and I mostly stick to Japanese ones, and ones that just have that certain spark that grabs my attention. Mostly non-Kaizos, I don't have the discipline to learn Kaizo tech.

Sorry for taking a while to answer, I wanted to buffer a bit so I'd let your post show up on the front page a bit. Don't want to snipe your post 6 minutes after you reply. I'm the only one who cares about me doing that, though. Talkhaus addiction ig
Image Image
Matthew_Coco

Post by Matthew_Coco »

[/quote]
It's fine, we're at the point where most people aren't used to forum bbcode. I only am because I used to hang out in some minor forums here and there (and the SRB2 forum, which I ended up rejoining and merging my old account) circa 2008 before I joined here almost 10 years ago (jesus).

Ah, that's great. I didn't mention others I've played like, Donkey Kong Country, ActRaiser, etc, because I thought you'd have played those already. I also thought about mentioning Romancing SaGa 2&3 (1 SNES/WSC isn't very good, it's a guilty pleasure of mine), as SaGa is my favorite JRPG series and RS2 is a favorite of mine, but the only proper translation they had was the remasters, which are a bit ugly. Thankfully they can be played in a lot of modern platforms, at the very least, PS4, Switch and PC.

Another problem with mentioning RS2&3 is that RS2 at least is super hard, and both can get really opaque. A Japanese video game wiki I like to read, Game Catalog @wiki, even ranks RomaSaGa2 as a sort of acquired taste. It was definitely an acquired taste for me, but I managed to make it work as I learned the mechanics and ruined a few files (thank god for the guide on GameFAQs).

As for time, I just try to play what I feel like. It results in playing up to 60 RPGs at once in my case but oh well! I can live with it myself! :pal: I should play more WRPGs though. I understand not having time, so many of them are like 20 hours long and they're a huge undertaking, especially if you're working a 9 to 5 or you're a parent. My advantage is that I'm like, a NEET and a shut-in.

As for SMW Yeah, it is indeed the one with the Luigi boss. A lot of hacks also kind of blend together for me due to me not being the biggest Mario stan, and I mostly stick to Japanese ones, and ones that just have that certain spark that grabs my attention. Mostly non-Kaizos, I don't have the discipline to learn Kaizo tech.

Sorry for taking a while to answer, I wanted to buffer a bit so I'd let your post show up on the front page a bit. Don't want to snipe your post 6 minutes after you reply. I'm the only one who cares about me doing that, though. Talkhaus addiction ig
[/quote]

Oh well that explains how hard it is to get a hang of this. It doesn't help I didn't grow up suing these kinds of forums. At least I can get around.

Yeah, I've played most of the games you've mentioned. I have a weird relationship with games like Romancing SaGa because while I've never played it, it's always been kind of within my peripheral vision because of the amount of music and content referenced in SMW hacks. I could probably handle it (I did beat all the Phantasy Star games a while back so I must have it in me eh?) but we'll see how that goes I guess.

Yeah, I'm kind of the same way too. I'm literally playing through JUMP (and soon JUMP 1/2) to prepare for YUMP 2. (I'm skipping YUMP because I can't handle pure chaos and YUMP 38 offends me. I'd rather appreciate this work of art from afar) I basically loaded all the games I wanted to play at some point on my SNES Classic so the backlog has only increased! I'm also gonna be working soon because I need money for Uni so even less time for vidja games. :ehh:

Japanese SMW rom hacks always fascinated me. I remember seeing Brutal Mario for the first time and being blown away. Oh how far we've come! Kaizo is pretty cool though but it's definitely more fun to watch for me. (like Cool or Cruel) I'm aware YUMP 2 is a little kaizo-y but I think I'm willing to put up with it after getting to the post-game of JUMP by the skin of my teeth.

No worries, I appreciate that! I really don't plan on posting much here though. I'm more of a lurker here whereas I tend to be found on raocow's YT comments. I am but a plebian in the domain of the Canadian video game man
raekuul

bbcode crash course

Post by raekuul »

so the bbcode tags act like html tags, only with square brackets instead of angle brackets. when you start a quote block it should look like this in the editor:

Code: Select all

[quote]In the midst of this war of words and tumult of opinions, I often said to myself: What is to be done? Who of all these parties are right; or, are they all wrong together? If any one of them be right, which is it, and how shall I know it?[/quote]
and it should look like
In the midst of this war of words and tumult of opinions, I often said to myself: What is to be done? Who of all these parties are right; or, are they all wrong together? If any one of them be right, which is it, and how shall I know it?
You can also type what you're posting first, then select it with the mouse and click the relevant tags button, to automagically wrap the text in the tags.

The most important tool in your toolbox is the "Preview" button - if it doesn't look like what you were expecting it to look like, the preview will let you see that.
Matthew_Coco

Post by Matthew_Coco »

Ok, I think I got it now. Thanks for the help!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Matthew_Coco wrote: 1 year ago Yeah, I've played most of the games you've mentioned. I have a weird relationship with games like Romancing SaGa because while I've never played it, it's always been kind of within my peripheral vision because of the amount of music and content referenced in SMW hacks. I could probably handle it (I did beat all the Phantasy Star games a while back so I must have it in me eh?) but we'll see how that goes I guess.
Ooh nice Phantasy Star, I'm still trying to beat PS2 legit (mostly just distracted, already decided my final team will be Rolf/Rudo/Anna/Amy). I'm also replaying PS1 on the Switch, through the SEGA AGES port and it's super fun. SaGa's big issue is that it's like kind of super opaque. If you do tackle it I recommend keeping a FAQ at hand. The Romancings have good English guides.

Though, Frontier 1 I need to check them out again. I forget if any of them mention stuff like "defending during a tell helps you survive a critical attack". A lot of people played with the Gold Ingot exploit so it has kind of cheat-y tactics, I do recommend using the Gold Ingot trick for your first run though. YelseyKing has been updating his guide (it's credited to MHobbs on GFAQs), but he hasn't uploaded the updates to GameFAQs due to falling out of love with the site years ago.

Frontier 1 and Scarlet Grace are the best entry points from what I can tell, and they're both playable on PS4, Switch and PC. Steam, I don't think they're on EGS, I think EGS just has the Nomura titles (Stranger of Paradise, NEO: TWEWY and the KH series), and FF7r and maybe a few scattered titles.

I should continue Unlimited btw
Matthew_Coco wrote: 1 year ago Yeah, I'm kind of the same way too. I'm literally playing through JUMP (and soon JUMP 1/2) to prepare for YUMP 2. (I'm skipping YUMP because I can't handle pure chaos and YUMP 38 offends me. I'd rather appreciate this work of art from afar) I basically loaded all the games I wanted to play at some point on my SNES Classic so the backlog has only increased! I'm also gonna be working soon because I need money for Uni so even less time for vidja games. :ehh:
YUMP 38 did nothing wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you can do good in Uni. I'd honestly like to go, if I wasn't still shellshocked from gifted child syndrome, lmao
Matthew_Coco wrote: 1 year ago Japanese SMW rom hacks always fascinated me. I remember seeing Brutal Mario for the first time and being blown away. Oh how far we've come! Kaizo is pretty cool though but it's definitely more fun to watch for me. (like Cool or Cruel) I'm aware YUMP 2 is a little kaizo-y but I think I'm willing to put up with it after getting to the post-game of JUMP by the skin of my teeth.
VIP5 will always be my MVP, even its jank has that characteristic VIP flavor to it. I'm probably the only person who likes the messier, beginner stages in VIP. They add to the feel of teenagers messing about, making a bad game. It's an atmosphere I'd like the SMW collab I'm managing on here (AAT/A3MT) to create on its own and I feel it's succeeding. I do feel like emulating VIP directly, on purpose, is kind of cringe, since you're effectively just copying, so I'm not gonna force people to make VIP stages when their design skills don't vibe with that.

Cozy, minimal QA collabs just hit different. They might also be the only ones that can get finished due to the low amount of QA and standards though!
Matthew_Coco wrote: 1 year ago No worries, I appreciate that! I really don't plan on posting much here though. I'm more of a lurker here whereas I tend to be found on raocow's YT comments. I am but a plebian in the domain of the Canadian video game man
I like making people feel welcome since I don't really feel that way a lot due to, a sort of fear of people. Which is still hard for me to do because I can get kind of abrasive at points due to emotional bullshit. I have autism, specifically Asperger's, so.

I did backtalk to thatguyif on the Shoutbox earlier and I apologize for doing that publicly, we have a weird relationship.
Image Image
Matthew_Coco

Post by Matthew_Coco »

Ooh nice Phantasy Star, I'm still trying to beat PS2 legit (mostly just distracted, already decided my final team will be Rolf/Rudo/Anna/Amy). I'm also replaying PS1 on the Switch, through the SEGA AGES port and it's super fun. SaGa's big issue is that it's like kind of super opaque. If you do tackle it I recommend keeping a FAQ at hand. The Romancings have good English guides.

Though, Frontier 1 I need to check them out again. I forget if any of them mention stuff like "defending during a tell helps you survive a critical attack". A lot of people played with the Gold Ingot exploit so it has kind of cheat-y tactics, I do recommend using the Gold Ingot trick for your first run though. YelseyKing has been updating his guide (it's credited to MHobbs on GFAQs), but he hasn't uploaded the updates to GameFAQs due to falling out of love with the site years ago.

Frontier 1 and Scarlet Grace are the best entry points from what I can tell, and they're both playable on PS4, Switch and PC. Steam, I don't think they're on EGS, I think EGS just has the Nomura titles (Stranger of Paradise, NEO: TWEWY and the KH series), and FF7r and maybe a few scattered titles.
That's a good team! Best of luck to ya. PS1 was such a pleasant experience for the most part. I appreciate how I didn't have to grind as much in the late game but the challenge remained. Have you played the other PS games yet?

I didn't mention this but I'm thinking about getting RS3. I heard it's good but we'll see. If I try the others, I'll keep your tips in mind. :catplanet2:
YUMP 38 did nothing wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you can do good in Uni. I'd honestly like to go, if I wasn't still shellshocked from gifted child syndrome, lmao
YUMP 38 did everything wrong actually. XD Thanks for the well wishes.
VIP5 will always be my MVP, even its jank has that characteristic VIP flavor to it. I'm probably the only person who likes the messier, beginner stages in VIP. They add to the feel of teenagers messing about, making a bad game. It's an atmosphere I'd like the SMW collab I'm managing on here (AAT/A3MT) to create on its own and I feel it's succeeding. I do feel like emulating VIP directly, on purpose, is kind of cringe, since you're effectively just copying, so I'm not gonna force people to make VIP stages when their design skills don't vibe with that.

Cozy, minimal QA collabs just hit different. They might also be the only ones that can get finished due to the low amount of QA and standards though!
Ah so you're a part of A3MT. I look forward to seeing how that goes!

Indeed they do. I do hate how like in JUMP, there was ONE level creator whose levels I did not enjoy at all. As a result, difficulty spikes occur. I don't like being super negative like that but that's honestly how I felt.
I like making people feel welcome since I don't really feel that way a lot due to, a sort of fear of people. Which is still hard for me to do because I can get kind of abrasive at points due to emotional bullshit. I have autism, specifically Asperger's, so.

I did backtalk to thatguyif on the Shoutbox earlier and I apologize for doing that publicly, we have a weird relationship.
That's super awesome. I struggle with social anxiety so I feel that. Some days are good, others not, but hey it is what it is.

No worries.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

oooooooggggghhhhh

I played Final Fantasy VI on my Vita (SNES version on an emulator, the music chugging outside of battles and dialog boxes) for like an hour and now I'm at the Returners' HQ. Gonna try to zone out and play Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon (GBC) on it for like an hour too, I think i'm getting used to its dumb combat. Gotta decide whether I just zone out while listening to random videos (Matt McMuscles, raocow, old retsupurae videos) or if I just lie in bed. Might sit on my PC. Either way I have my phone charged up to look up guides (playing fully blind gives me trepidation).

I'd watch Jeremy Parish's videos but NES+FDS/SG1000+SMS game footage is hypnotizing to me.

Also, I didn't put the non-151 hack version of Pokémon Red on it I only have Yellow and Crystal fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. Maybe tomorrow :)
Matthew_Coco wrote: 1 year ago That's a good team! Best of luck to ya. PS1 was such a pleasant experience for the most part. I appreciate how I didn't have to grind as much in the late game but the challenge remained. Have you played the other PS games yet?

I didn't mention this but I'm thinking about getting RS3. I heard it's good but we'll see. If I try the others, I'll keep your tips in mind. :catplanet2:
PS1 is really good, but PS2 feels like a few steps below, not a fan. I really like Nei though. I haven't played much of PS4 yet and I don't think I've ever played PS3. I have played a bit of Online BB on a private server but social anxiety... I heard PS3 is super jank and out of place (it's medieval??? I have no idea if it's supposed to tie in with PS2 killing the golden age of Algol and most of sci-fi with it like PS4 but) but I'm kind of holding out hope I'll like it a bit more than PS2. And then PS4 will come right along to leave everyone else in the dust, as God Herself intended.

I'm gonna try to use the Gires casting equipment more, big mistake on my end not using it, hopefully I'll just have to go through a few rounds of RNG to beat Dark Force and Mother Brain with Megid and some Gires for everyone. Amy is also definitely getting double shields.

RS3 is super friendly to newcomers too, it's just that SaGa in general is kind of tricky to get into. Oblivion at the end is so hard though, prepare with caution!

The Asuras in one of the endgame quests are very good for sparking Techs, IIRC. They're also found in Khalid's exclusive dungeon too at all times near the endgame, so go ham if you pick him. I usually go with Katharina because she's pretty cool, she reminds me of Sakuya, her hair do for most of the game also reminds me of Ice Doll from SaGa Frontier. Makes u think

Matthew_Coco wrote: 1 year ago Ah so you're a part of A3MT. I look forward to seeing how that goes!

Indeed they do. I do hate how like in JUMP, there was ONE level creator whose levels I did not enjoy at all. As a result, difficulty spikes occur. I don't like being super negative like that but that's honestly how I felt.
A lot of people are busy with Life rn

I'm thinking of getting back in the ASM game by making a few bosses (sprites with multiple states are my favorite thing to make), not exactly for AAT but just to de-rust to help with the hack if anyone needs it. Anyway, the levels so far are mostly easy, especially compared to ASMT and A2MT. Nao's lava fortress might cause some problemos but I'm gonna test it later on.
Matthew_Coco wrote: 1 year ago That's super awesome. I struggle with social anxiety so I feel that. Some days are good, others not, but hey it is what it is.

No worries.
Thank u for understanding >:3 (lion face)
Image Image
Matthew_Coco

Post by Matthew_Coco »

oooooooggggghhhhh

I played Final Fantasy VI on my Vita (SNES version on an emulator, the music chugging outside of battles and dialog boxes) for like an hour and now I'm at the Returners' HQ. Gonna try to zone out and play Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon (GBC) on it for like an hour too, I think i'm getting used to its dumb combat. Gotta decide whether I just zone out while listening to random videos (Matt McMuscles, raocow, old retsupurae videos) or if I just lie in bed. Might sit on my PC. Either way I have my phone charged up to look up guides (playing fully blind gives me trepidation).

I'd watch Jeremy Parish's videos but NES+FDS/SG1000+SMS game footage is hypnotizing to me.
I literally would not play the game if the music chugged. The music is too good I must enjoy it!

That's interesting that you don't play blind. I used to use guides a lot because I sucked at games but as I got older, I started to trust myself more and only use a guide if I was really stuck and didn't want to waste years of my life. (Not criticizing you btw play as you want! :catplanet2: )
PS1 is really good, but PS2 feels like a few steps below, not a fan. I really like Nei though. I haven't played much of PS4 yet and I don't think I've ever played PS3. I have played a bit of Online BB on a private server but social anxiety... I heard PS3 is super jank and out of place (it's medieval??? I have no idea if it's supposed to tie in with PS2 killing the golden age of Algol and most of sci-fi with it like PS4 but) but I'm kind of holding out hope I'll like it a bit more than PS2. And then PS4 will come right along to leave everyone else in the dust, as God Herself intended.

I'm gonna try to use the Gires casting equipment more, big mistake on my end not using it, hopefully I'll just have to go through a few rounds of RNG to beat Dark Force and Mother Brain with Megid and some Gires for everyone. Amy is also definitely getting double shields.

RS3 is super friendly to newcomers too, it's just that SaGa in general is kind of tricky to get into. Oblivion at the end is so hard though, prepare with caution!
it sucks that everything except the gameplay in PS2 was good. Short development times suck. :ehh:

PS3 in my opinion is really good. It ranks 2nd behind PS4 for me. There's a certain charm that the game gives off that just attracts me for some reason. I won't say much about the story but I will say once you play through both PS3 & 4, it will make more sense.

I'm not sure how much you grind but when I played it, I think I grinded until all my characters were at least leveled up 4 or 5 times I think. Also, you might know this already but the headgear Snow Crown (I think that's what it's called?) can be used as a shield for the whole party. That helped immensely for me. Hopefully, you haven't passed it if you haven't gotten it.

Yeah I heard that about RS3. It's got some weird mechanics for sure. I'm prepared for grinding sessions if needed I guess. (In recent years, I discovered listening to music while grinding makes the process less torturous)
A lot of people are busy with Life rn I'm thinking of getting back in the ASM game by making a few bosses (sprites with multiple states are my favorite thing to make), not exactly for AAT but just to de-rust to help with the hack if anyone needs it. Anyway, the levels so far are mostly easy, especially compared to ASMT and A2MT. Nao's lava fortress might cause some problemos but I'm gonna test it later on.
Yeah, it does be like that though.

That's cool. Please make a Goku boss with 3 forms. (jk)
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Grinded costumes and gathered Gels for like an hour and a half in Arche's tower on ToP Narikiri Dungeon 1 GBC and beat Wind Valley, putting the Healer costume on Mel helped. I'm actually getting into this game now. Oops. Sylph still destroyed Dio and Mel, Couleur barely surviving. Gonna do the Fire Cave next to beat up Efreet. Distinct memories of Undine being an asshole battle-wise in OG Tales of Phantasia, SNES and PSX, so she might be rude in ND1 too.

Might play Lufia 3 next, first gathering a bunch of Miracles, though.
Matthew_Coco wrote: 1 year ago I literally would not play the game if the music chugged. The music is too good I must enjoy it!

That's interesting that you don't play blind. I used to use guides a lot because I sucked at games but as I got older, I started to trust myself more and only use a guide if I was really stuck and didn't want to waste years of my life. (Not criticizing you btw play as you want! :catplanet2: )
I said that but I just played NariDun blind for like 2 hours

Anyway kinda same, I just settled with it because handheld FF6. I could have played the GBA version on 3DS through VC injection but yea. FFVI music is so good though, like. I like 1, 5, 8, 9 and 10 a bit more than 6 and 7 (still seem to remember liking FF7 more than OoT though, purely out of not getting into N64 Zelda's engine) but I swear 6 and 8 have the best soundtracks so far. Shout outs to Mystic Quest. 7's big issue is that the compositions are great, Uematsu classics, but the samples feel so musty.
Matthew_Coco wrote: 1 year ago Also, you might know this already but the headgear Snow Crown (I think that's what it's called?) can be used as a shield for the whole party. That helped immensely for me. Hopefully, you haven't passed it if you haven't gotten it.

Yeah I heard that about RS3. It's got some weird mechanics for sure. I'm prepared for grinding sessions if needed I guess. (In recent years, I discovered listening to music while grinding makes the process less torturous)
No, I'm still heading to the Red Dam. I think it's in the Blue one.

And yeah music is super good for grinding, I found out about that in like 2014 when I was playing like one of the Romancing SaGas or Dragon Quest or FF8 or something. I usually put some gaming history or game development history video as background noise or like eurodance, house, trance, obscure eurobeat, dnb, jungle, breakcore, 80s j-pop, synth pop, italo disco, mákina, BEMANI soundtracks (Pop'n, DDR, IIDX), etc.

i also like 100 gecs
Matthew_Coco wrote: 1 year ago That's cool. Please make a Goku boss with 3 forms. (jk)
you ever think abt how one of the exgfx files in brutal mario's later demos just had goku and vegeta portraits from one of the super gokuden rpgs on snes (not to be confused with super saiya densetsu)

shout out to the bad engrish patch of one of those (i forget which), by some brazilian dude on romhacking dot net

double shout out to the dragon quest 3 snes ethereal serpent/xenlon family enemy sprite recolor that's meant to be an implied shenron expy according to (unfinished?) code, also in brutal mario's later demos. it's what the orbs in the koopaling castles were for
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

lufia 3 felt like my skeleton being sucked out through my penis. i guess it makes sense because before this i coasted on the miracles and goddess tears i've assembled along the way and i legit had to grind for them now. and they're pretty rare, most of the time you just get dumb shit like charred newts.

the thing about this game is that you're constantly kind of underpowered compared to the bosses who can just obliterate you, the boss i reached now had a move that reduced a party member's hp to 1 and they generally deal so much damage. im so worn down that i can barely speak rn
Image Image
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago lufia 3 felt like my skeleton being sucked out through my penis.
Powerful quote.

Uhhh... I haven't played much of anything lately. I guess I did complete one more FE8 mission yesterday. Chapter 9, I believe? Had a bit of a close call because I had to send my Pegasus Knights to secure the leftmost village and Vanessa almost died (she managed to get a clutch dodge, thankfully). Those freaking bandits always move way faster than I anticipate. Then I tried to have Franz soften up the boss with the axereaver that I got from another enemy, only for him to crit twice and kill the guy. Franz, mate, I love you, but other people need experience too. :T
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

EllenHouraisan wrote: 1 year ago Then I tried to have Franz soften up the boss with the axereaver that I got from another enemy, only for him to crit twice and kill the guy. Franz, mate, I love you, but other people need experience too. :T
That's a big mood

----------------
Thanks to starting a full time job I have very little time for the vidya james but lately I've been chugging through Atelier Sophie 2, I think I'm starting to near the end, but idk. I've had a ton of fun with it, but I wish the game was dubbed. Not a deal breaker, just sucks going from English voices (quality is another discussion) to Japanese voices.

And I also resurrected my playthrough of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronices: My Life as a King. A city builder tycoon game where you play as some kid that's also the king. It's fine, but it's a weird direction after FFCC and Ring of Fates. It's decent enough but not my favorite genre to begin with. I'm only playing it because I want to play every Crystal Chronicles game... which there's only six not counting the remaster of the original SE released a few years ago so it's really not a huge undertaking.

And I was making huge progress in my Trails of Cold Steel Nightmare playthrough. It's double NG+ so I'm really steamrolling everything. It's pretty great lol. I'm not really worried about anything being difficult other than (final boss spoilers)

the mech fight with Crow, since those mechanics suck so hard in CS1. And your level and equipment don't affect it at all so it's not like you can just grind out a ton of levels to make it easier

. Still very fun, and kinda nostalgic in a way - this game and its sequel are kinda the reason I even bought a PS3 lol.
Matthew_Coco

Post by Matthew_Coco »

you ever think abt how one of the exgfx files in brutal mario's later demos just had goku and vegeta portraits from one of the super gokuden rpgs on snes (not to be confused with super saiya densetsu)

shout out to the bad engrish patch of one of those (i forget which), by some brazilian dude on romhacking dot net

double shout out to the dragon quest 3 snes ethereal serpent/xenlon family enemy sprite recolor that's meant to be an implied shenron expy according to (unfinished?) code, also in brutal mario's later demos. it's what the orbs in the koopaling castles were for
I wasn't even aware of this. After a bit, I kind of just stopped keeping up with Brutal Mario stuff after learning that supposedly the game isn't being worked on much anymore... or is it? I think not but maybe I'm wrong. I do reserve hope in the back of my mind that Carol just drops the fully realized version of Brutal Mario but I think that might be asking too much.
lufia 3 felt like my skeleton being sucked out through my penis.
Quote of the year.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I beat the story mode in Dragon Ball FighterZ without taking a loss, although there were some close calls at times. The final boss was not one of those as I got a perfect on the first phase and did pretty well on the one-on-one final battle. It is a game that exists, but in the positive sense. I'm not much of a competitive fighting game player, so that's good enough for me.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Resting from Lufia 3 by beating the first world of Soul Blazer, a game that is very nostalgic to me (second non-Pokémon RPG I beat?).
Really beautiful game uwu

EDIT: Just played one hour of Lufia 3 just grinding because I saw one youtuber who was in lv40 something. Everyone's at like lv27-32. When I started this, Mousse was at Lv21 (he's like 27 now)

EDIT 2: Played half an hour of Lufia 2, doing the first ezpz dungeon to rest a bit. Lizardman still took chugging a few potions. I should grind later when I can make a proper profit to get the spells in Elcid and Sunderland. I forgot all abt this game.
EllenHouraisan wrote: 1 year ago Powerful quote.
Matthew_Coco wrote: 1 year ago Quote of the year.
thank u
Matthew_Coco wrote: 1 year ago I wasn't even aware of this.
I spent part of my teenhood kinda "datamining" Brutal Mario and it was fucking stupid. I've thought about making my own Brutal Mario type hack (not a copy of carol's) for fun, but motivation is non-existent and I hate making levels

Still think it's really funny carol mostly uses their twitter for yelling at netto-uyos (Japanese internet alt-righters)
Image Image
Matthew_Coco

Post by Matthew_Coco »

Still finishing JUMP, Going to play some Chrono Trigger then play around with Rendering Ranger R2 maybe. Thinking about actually playing Touhou games for the first time. (The PC-98 games)
I beat the story mode in Dragon Ball FighterZ without taking a loss, although there were some close calls at times. The final boss was not one of those as I got a perfect on the first phase and did pretty well on the one-on-one final battle. It is a game that exists, but in the positive sense. I'm not much of a competitive fighting game player, so that's good enough for me.
That's pretty darn-gosh awesome. I should really play a Dragon Ball Z fighting game at some point. It's been on the backlog forever.
I spent part of my teenhood kinda "datamining" Brutal Mario and it was fucking stupid. I've thought about making my own Brutal Mario type hack (not a copy of carol's) for fun, but motivation is non-existent and I hate making levels

Still think it's really funny carol mostly uses their twitter for yelling at netto-uyos (Japanese internet alt-righters)
That's pretty cool. All I did was watch gameplay videos of it. Though kinda primitive today, it's kinda cool seeing all the custom shit Carol was able to pull off. It also exposed me to a lot of JRPGs so that's pretty nice too.

Nice to know Carol is still active. I hope they are doing ok.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

switch has officially been missing for 168 hours now. it's here somewhere but wherever it is is a location that was already scrubbed off as being impossible due to not being a location I was at when I lost it. Couple more weeks and I'll just assume it's gone for good and look into replacing (which I'll be placing a special order when I do... which is more or less what my original plan was before I got my lost one as a gift)

Pokemon Crystal minilocke randomizer: stupid tyrogue catch rate. that's three routes lost to them now. next time I'm haxing the catch rate.

Bravely Default: do I want to do World 3 cleanup or do I just want to push through? I can't just nuke everything with Obliterate yet which is slowing me down.

M+L Superstar Saga 3DS: Queen Bean beaned.