make mario levels make mario levels make mario levels make mario levels make mario levels

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Ashan »

Alright I really maintain that Minecraft has gotten too complicated.

My old strategy was to setup base, make a bed in it to reset my spawn point to where I want it, do some mining to get iron gear, then dig down real deep until I find redstone to put together a compass, and from there I'm generally secured to find my way back to base no matter how far I go.

But it seems as if now the compass doesn't point towards your bed's spawn point, and it always points back to your original spawn point. And the only way to change where it points to place something called a lodestone. So I look up how to get a lodestone and jesus christ, what is all this:
https://www.sportskeeda.com/minecraft/lodestone

Really regretting not making a world in an earlier version!
Slimeman01
Elecman D A B B B
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

Ashan wrote: 1 month ago Alright I really maintain that Minecraft has gotten too complicated.

My old strategy was to setup base, make a bed in it to reset my spawn point to where I want it, do some mining to get iron gear, then dig down real deep until I find redstone to put together a compass, and from there I'm generally secured to find my way back to base no matter how far I go.

But it seems as if now the compass doesn't point towards your bed's spawn point, and it always points back to your original spawn point. And the only way to change where it points to place something called a lodestone. So I look up how to get a lodestone and jesus christ, what is all this:
https://www.sportskeeda.com/minecraft/lodestone

Really regretting not making a world in an earlier version!
I mean, I'd argue that things have gotten less complicated over time, but maybe that's just because I've been keeping up with it for so long. Just adventuring around your world will teach you so much, like adventuring around the Nether will teach you a heck of a lot in 1.16, such as the value of gold. However, to each their own!
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
KobaBeach
i lived bitch
First name: David
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

World 3 into Luigi's Adventure, non-overseas and it's barely RTA viable, this is like. Hyper or ASMT levels of garbage trash: Blind drops, ASM that's coded against the player, cheap shots, generator usage for the purposes of fucking the player over rather than season a level. No offense to Anikiti, if he ever decides to make another level or hack, but I was legit getting mad. I'm at Hanging Gardens Secret and Hanging Gardens 4 is also available to me.
romhack shack discord join if you want to learn how to smw
"Prepare for word torture! I can't keep quiet. I'm full of dangerous phrases that should be censored." - gandhi

who cares: Image :nb_pride:
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Finished Death Stranding and holy cow I swear the ending was like 3 hours of cutscenes
Cyril
metal nerd
First name: Cyril
Pronouns: he/she/they

Post by Cyril »

outer wilds dlc

i found a thing that gave me Bad Vibes and it's the only thing i have left to do atm i think so i stopped because i'm afraid of Bad Vibes
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
raekuul
D&C 134:2
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

I've been mucking around in Hypnospace Outlaw on switch, trying to find out what I can find with 3y3 on the first day (before the Outlaw Alpha test). It'd probably help if I knew what all the pages were.

On 3DS I've been playing through Might and Magic - Clash of Heroes again (a themed match-3 game). The Haven chapter is such a pain in the ass, mostly because it doesn't really prepare you for the Haven boss fight at all.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021
And now to reveal my rejected names: Darth Vader's Tough Savannah Mansion in Canada's Chapter
KobaBeach
i lived bitch

Post by KobaBeach »

Started Grandia's Saturn version, but didn't feel like patching the English patch (need to redownload Flips too, I've deleted my SMW folder for mental health reasons). Even then what I can get from the Japanese and my bad skills is a whimsical game with a lot of heart and soul. For every soulful moment, there's a little joke to help sweeten the vibe a little while afterwards.

Like Justin deciding to go alone on his journey, and Sue breaks into tears at him abandoning her..... So she runs off then comes back and kicks him in the shin. She and Puffy (Pooey in JP, Puffy is a much better name) later also play the role of stowaways to follow Justin, making the two work without pay aboard a steam ship. Lotta slapstick going on in this game, Saki I believe also plays with the idea of putting a thumb tack in Leen's boot in some flavor text, for being the closest to Mullen. Justin's mom is always hitting him over the head... It's a bit uncomfortable, having gone through abuse myself. But it's ok.

I'm currently on the steam ship, Jin (Java) was a neat character, but I wish I had more knowledge of Japanese to truly appreciate his character he seems super hot blooded. I kinda want to apply the English patch, but it's a bit fun playing it this way. I'll double dip on the PSX version later on out of curiosity. Kind of glad Working Designs didn't get this, despite them trying to get it. Like yeah, the localization would be a bit better.... But we would have also gotten some cringe worthy attempts at humor. Also, lots of delays (especially with the voice acting), and the game likely wouldn't see a European release by Ubisoft, as was the case with every Working Designs venture except for Dragon Force (Shining Wisdom has an entirely different SEGA-made localization in Europe).

The battle system feels like a straight evolution of Lunar and I'm all over it. It kind of feels more fun than the FF ATB system, and I like the slight incentive to create combo attacks. Weapon class levelling is also straight out of SaGa and I'm all over it too. Biggest complaint is the occasional massive framerate drops (is that just Mednafen??) and the orcs not being as hot as Beyond the Beyond's but that's a high bar to reach (BtB's gameplay however has the bar so far below it's gone through the Earth and reached China by now).

I also really like the graphics, the 3D maps feel like Breath of Fire III, while the 2D graphics feel a lot like a more colorful Mega CD effort, with nicely done dithering, more MegaDrive-ish color choices; this game started as a Mega CD effort, post-Lunar EB and it shows.

------------------------------

I've also started Panzer Dragoon Saga and so far it's been pretty emotive. I'm halfway through Disc 1 and past the first "dungeon"? Flight area, either way. I'm headed to Garil Desert and I've given my real name to the game, David, and my online name to the durrgon, Koba. This is what I've also did in Digimon World, but my name didn't overwrite Edge's, which I appreciate.

The blending of rail shooter with 3D RPG is novel, but the first flight section isn't the most exciting. Long corridors, occasional side paths, occasional destructible scenery... Where it does shine is the battle gameplay, which is really fun. The ATB gauges/Panzer Juice™ is a novel twist on the ATB concept, it's a bit similar to what Bravely Default would do with added turns, but mixed with consumable points.

You can store up multiple Panzer Juice™ gauges for a powerful Berserk technique, or go ham and fire away with Edge's gun or the Dragon's lasers with each gauge that gets filled, and there's no wasting going on. If you run out of full gauges and you still had a bit left in another, the last one that wasn't fully finished, goes to the first slot, picking up where it left off.

Enemies also have weak points to hit for massive damage, which can be revealed with the positioning of the Dragon. The enemies are in the center and your Dragon orbits around them, in one of four quarters of a circle. Depending on where the enemies are facing, the portion of the arena you may be in may be tinted red in the radar in the lower center of the screen, meaning the worst attacks are used here; Tinted green, meaning no attacks; Or no color at all, meaning weak attacks.

Trying to juggle that and the weak spots is the fun part, especially since you can "beat them to the punch", by triggering the menu before they get a chance to turn, basically position yourself to the area with the weak spot, then press C as soon as your Dragon reaches the spot, to access the menu and choose the gun or lasers. It's a ton of fun and I recommend playing it just to try out that system alone, just don't pay the money for an English copy. Piracy ho!

My biggest regret is that this didn't go full on Panzerese instead of relying on Japanese for a lot of the voiced dialogue (the voiced dialogue being basically all of it). That'd be some moxie, but this game, being a fully 3D RPG, on the Saturn, in 1998, with a whole fucking bunch of voiced dialogue is like, The Definition of Moxie. You know The Meaning of Sharp in A2MT, well this is The Meaning of Moxie. And the development of this was a goddamned nightmare.

If you're okay with a YouTuber Personality detailing the horrid mess that was this game's development check the video below.

Should you prefer a more subdued form, here is an interview of 15 staff members on the development of the game.

Lastly, I've been making my way back to Chapter 8 (of 25 + Chapter 0) of Summon Night 2 because of an ill timed save.

The game is more of the same, but what it has it feels more refined, minigames are repeatable and feel more engaging, summoning is made into more of a magic system with further spells unlocking the better your rank in a certain "element" (Machine, Youkai, Spirit, Therian), I think this improves by levelling up. Saves in a pre-battle screen are also made possible instead of having to sit through a whole cutscene with each loss. Though they're not always useful, because you can lock yourself in a hard battle without the ability to grind and unlock more summons, which is what happened to me. A lot of the times it's worth it to have a spare save on hand, or fast forward the dialogue scenes with the X + R2 secret, thanks Hardcore Gaming 101.

The story is still pretty anime as shit, but the characters feel pretty likeable, much like the first one's and still not very deep. I'm aiming to get Nesty's ending, myself, he's a huge tsun-tsun dork, Amer is a precious bean, Keina and Folte are a funny duo, Folte being a huge goofball and Keina being the straightwoman, Minis is precious and I wish her mom Famy wouldn't be mean to her, and Rocca is kind of "the normal one", he's not very exciting, but he's the most level headed one so you appreciate him for that.

Paffel is completely bonkers, she's just everywhere delivering for her part-time job at a bakery. Meimei also seems drunk, but I like her spirit. Their minigames are really easy so I appreciate em. Morlin and Kazamine rule, I seem to remember Kazamine being just kind of there in the first game, so I'm glad he's more explored here. Leonard as a concept is completely insane, a Los Angeles gumshoe being isekai'd into a JRPG. And he uses a gun, it's great! I still need to recruit Yuel but she seems super precious, Sion has a sort of advisor role for the protagonist in his recruitment subplot and it's really cool, Mimoza and Gibson are back and they serve as big sister and brother for the whole team!

Then there's the Guardian Beast I summoned in the prologue to be my sidekick, Resi (default name). He's the therian one (from Maetropa), a Metral (iirc that's like cows and the like) and. He's just the most precious thing, I want to protect him so hard oh my fucking god. He's the biggest weenie I have ever seen, I vibe with him so much. He and Nesty are my faves so far and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Anyway that's basically it. Happy Koichi Sugiyama death day :rao: :rao: :rao: :rao: :rao: :rao: :rao:
"Prepare for word torture! I can't keep quiet. I'm full of dangerous phrases that should be censored." - gandhi

HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Got to the final chapter of The Legend of Heroes: Trails to Azure (I guess technically it's Ao no Kiseki since it's the Chinese PC version with Geofront yadayadayada) and it's about as crazy as I'd heard. It's nice to finally find out what was behind all the "weird things" happening in Crossbell that you get told is happening in Cold Steel 1, but there's never any explanation given, which makes sense since how would the Cold Steel cast even know about that stuff. It's a little saddening to know this game is the last in-game appearance of Kevin and Ries (for now, RIGHT???) but oh well. I'm not exactly looking forward to doing the final dungeon though since it's supposedly extremely long, but not nearly as cramped as Zero's final dungeon.

Played a little of Phantom Brave - a strategy game by NIS. Seems fun enough, though I only played for like half an hour.
Bean

Post by Bean »

Got my first experience with the Xbox Series S, so the first thing I did naturally was play Xbox One games on it.

Powerstar Golf is good and kind of reminds me of the older Mario Golf games. It's not the best or anything, but it was solid. I like some of the later challenges like only being able to use a driver and a putter on some courses, so it's not just always the same thing.

Sonic Colors: Ultimate started out fun enough on it, but there were a couple of times where Tails saved me in a 2D section only for the level to inexplicably become 3D. This would be great except I fell through the floor as a result in a couple parts and had to restart. Game also crashed a few times on me. Took a good game and turned it into an okay one with too many glitches. Give your developers a chance to finish the thing next time, Sega.

Also in my quest to avoid playing Persona 5 Strikers on the Switch, I've played more Among Us, won a round of Pac-Man 99, finished 3rd a couple more times in Tetris 99, and started up Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania, a remake of the first two games in the series. And with Metroid Dread coming out tomorrow, I think I'll be enjoying that next. There's my gaming for September when I wasn't working, hobbying it up, or resting up and recovering.
Onurubu
Head in the clouds, where it's hard to breathe
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Onurubu »

Cyril wrote: 2 weeks ago outer wilds dlc

i found a thing that gave me Bad Vibes and it's the only thing i have left to do atm i think so i stopped because i'm afraid of Bad Vibes
I used the release of the DLC to start a new save and properly get into Outer Wilds. I started playing it last year but kind of just fell off because of school and stuff. Now I've been playing for 15 hours or so and I am loving it so much. Rediscovered most of what I got on my original save and also discovered a lot of new things.

I finally started the DLC last night and the new type of soundtrack they have for it really spooked me initially. Just from the fact that

They included an option to reduce frights

I have been at the edge of my seat all the time scared of jumpscares, even though I don't think this game will be the type to do that. The

ring world

is also beautiful and I was taken aback when I first saw it. I haven't even finished this game but I know that it is my favourite game of all time even now.
Perpetually distracted
:bi_pride: ( :pan_pride: ?)
Cyril
metal nerd
First name: Cyril
Pronouns: he/she/they

Post by Cyril »

don't worry there's not any real jumpscares lol

stealth sections, however, there do be, and they shouldn't be

i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Doc Sophie
Cheese is both a superior tactic *and* food!
First name: Sophie

Post by Doc Sophie »

I've gotten back into Hollow Knight big time after playing, loving, getting lost, and then dropping it in 2017. Currently got all of the movement upgrades in the game, half the grubs, and the way open to the final boss. Proooooooooobably gonna try and 100% it, outside of crazy stuff like the Radiant Godseeker fights.

Or at least try and see all the unique content, anyway.

I'm also giving World of Light nuzlockes a shot in Smash Bros Ultimate, after having not touched it in a while. Hard mode is hard and I am BAD at that game, good lord. The furthest I've made it is the Juri spirit on the Villager route (Bayonetta stamina battle w/ a favoritism toward side special). Marth curbstomped me on attempt #2 when I went to start his path. Haven't tried Sheik's yet, but maybe that's where I'll find some vague success...
EllenHouraisan
Official Worst Girl

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Video games.

Playing through Fire Emblem 6 after getting into the series with 7. Compared to that game, this one is a lot harder, and not for the best reasons. The ratio of how many enemy units there are in a battle vs. how many you're allowed to bring makes getting through battles into an immense slog, and that's not even considering the crazy amounts of reinforcements that keep spawning. It's also not shy about pulling massive dick moves from time to time, like hiding some dragon riders in a fog of war mission which is also mostly in a desert, meaning the only units that can move properly are squishies (and they give you one such squishy at level 1, who died very fast because of that). Still a fun game, but it really needed to either curb some of the enemy numbers or at least give me a larger unit count to deal with them faster (instead of dropping a ton of useless new units within the battles themselves to try and make up for it :/). Doesn't help that most of the characters have the personality of a plank in this one.

Also been playing Pokemon Unite since it dropped on mobile. I expected to play a match or two just to see what it was like and then forget about it forever, but in spite of its absurd monetization problems, the game is actually really fun! It helps that matches are very short and there's no in-game chat for idiots to yell at you, so it's very enjoyable to play casually. When I lose, the amount of time and stress is so small that I just move on to the next game without feeling bad, so that's nice. On top of that, the scoring system is very cathartic, and has a ton of interesting nuances that never let a match feel completely hopeless (unless the enemy gets Zapdos, in which case, yeah, you lost). If anyone is playing, hit me up! I'm always up for a quick game or two.
KobaBeach
i lived bitch

Post by KobaBeach »

Chapter 5 on Summon Night 2, A Fleeting Calm ~Black Chasers~ (boy does that subtitle sound sussy as shit). Grinded on Chapter 3 to Lv10 with some characters and in Chapter 5, I'm aiming for Lv15. Toris has just become flat out a murder hobo with the constant bloodshed I put her through in the free battles (I've skipped the one with actual monsters lol, it's all fellow humes) and I've spent roughly 13 hours in game grinding and I feel very powerful

The pass near Zeram rewards 800 EXP and 700 baum (money) for chapters 2 and 3 in a battle where all opposing members are beaten, while the Quicksand Valley rewards 1400 EXP and 900 baum. The chapter 4 free battles were too annoying, so I just relied on the Deigleiya forces (protect Amer) and Kelma battles to level up Amer, sadly couldn't level up Minis or Rocca.

The Kelma battle is especially neat if you pick a female protag because Kelma has a unit exclusive charm summon (at least I think it's unobtainable), and she can cast it on Toris, Hasaha, Amer and Minis, who are all girls, but also Magna, Bulrell and Resi who are male and likely along with Le-O-Ld, who is a robot and likely disregards gender entirely? And I'm glad there's no real binary charm filter. It's a challenging battle gimmick, and also somewhat progressive.

Tangent:
The SaGa games handle charm similarly last I checked, but Romancing SaGa 2 actually makes it a point of Rocbouquet charming men specifically, and it's a plot point (and a huge pain in the ass in the final boss, good luck using a male only party lol, my party was two women (Imperial Guard and Amazon iirc), the Final Emperor with the Somon Ring from the prologue, one Salamander and Coppelia).

However she can only charm human men (I refuse to believe none of your party members couldn't be queer if Romancing SaGa 2 was an actual world, especially as they're all blank slates, patriarchal standards of pop culture regardless, so my personal theory is that she just overrides sexual and romantic identity and attraction through brainwashing with Temptation, basically hypno fetishes), so we can just assume Salamanders and Molemen are either not attracted to humans or have a different way of looking at romantic attraction, as they don't seem to be sexually dimorphic (which is pretty cool) and I'm not sure if they ever use any gendered pronouns in the English release (I've only gotten that far in the Super Famicom but without knowing Japanese and Japanese doesn't really do gendered second person pronouns).

But anyway, Flight-Plan really likes their casual queerness and it's very pleasant, Black Matrix actually had a hidden gay route specifically targeted to yaoi fangirls and it's honestly really cool and part of why I want to play the game. Also I just like gothic bullshit. Sugarette in a Pratty file is also a good example, and I've seen people appreciate Razzy for her gender ambiguity (only using "her" for canon's sake, feel free to characterize Razzy as any gender you want), there's also a girl in Swordcraft 2 who kisses you on the lips regardless of gender iirc.

Back to Summon Night.
Chapter 5's equivalents of the Zeram pass and Quicksand Valley reward 2400 EXP/1300b and 3200 EXP/1400b respectively. After this the pass near Zeram closes and I gain access to the Flotte Wetlands for one chapter (3200 EXP/1400b Quicksand, 5400 EXP/1600b Flotte), then Flotte closes and the Quicksand Valley gets harder (5800 EXP/2000b), followed by another area opening in Chapter 8 (The Great Prairie, 11300 EXP/2600b) as we move to Fanan for a hot second to avoid the Deigleyans who are after Amer (she's treated as a sort of "Holy Maiden", she does have healing abilities).

Also got all the summons I could so far, got a few Stained Vases from free battles, an Imp's Playing Card or two, two Haunted Picture Books, a few Kogarasu-maru (katanas, sold all except one since the only one who can use them right now is Keina), and one Golden Gentleman. Did get a few repeats of Tete since he's the only Maetropan I could get so far and I have a few characters that correspond to that realm, Resi, Folte and Minis specifically (and since I got Resi, Toris too, but she seems to be acquiring the ability to summon from other realms as well, just got Sapureth).

Since I don't feel like opening up Mednafen again, looking at the Ritual of Pledging cheat sheet on happy days, a lovely site full of info for most Summon Night games (no Twin Age or Gran-Thesis), that seems to be made in a blog template, I've got:
  • a few Diablos
  • a few Kuros (pun on Crow most likely, they're tengu)
  • a few Petit Devils (Lil' Imps?)
  • one or two Bibiaroids (Vibiaroids?)
  • a few Reisers (Rygel in Swordcraft Story)
  • quite a lot of Myojin
  • a few Lipsies (very handy for healing in the off case your F-Aids or HP Recovery fruit storage has dried up mid battle)
  • a few Mujinas (their name literally means raccoon dog)
  • quite a lot of Rock Materials (standard colorless summon spell)
  • a few Bezzsaws (Nesty starts with one already but it's always handy)
  • like one or two Bowa
  • like one Powaso (Pouso in Swordcraft Story)
  • like two Lunia
  • one Foundation of Masonry (yes that is it's name, 石細工の土台, good luck fitting that in a translation patch)
  • and a lot of Tetes (more like tatas)
So far my game plan is, because the game is a bit easy up until the battle where Leonard joins, against Gareano (honestly I'd go with Gallearno a la that one Arc the Lad 2 mafia boss dude whose name I forget, Gallarno or some shit), I'm thinking of doing my next grinding session in Chapter 8 and just getting everyone + Tete, Rygel/Reiser and Powaso/Pouso up to Lv15 for now.

Toris/Magna (i think the protags eventually get every realm), Minis (Maetropa) and Nesty (Loreilal) can summon backup units (Tete, Rygel, Pouso and Myojin), this also disables the summon's equivalent spells as long as they're on the board iirc, and only one of each can be on the board at one time. This goes for any unit who's of the Summoner class in the game (still need to get someone for Silturn, and a Sapureth only summoner). In Summon Night 1 this could be anyone but in 2 this is more of an effort to rebalance the game, it seems.

happy days also has an experience chart, something I wish was more common these days, but seems to have died off with the advent of GameFAQs becoming less of a big deal. From Lv1 to Lv15 the exp needed is, in order: 100, 200, 400, 700, 1100, 1600, 2200, 2900, 3700, 4600, 5600, 6700, 7900, 9200. Adding it up gives about 46900 EXP total. Toris is at 14, Resi, Amer and Folte, my go to bunch are at 10 rn, Nesty's at 9, the poor fella, Keina's at 8, she needs to catch up, and Minis and Rocca are at 6 because they joined so soon. so that'd be (34000 x 7) + (3700 x 4) + (2900 x 3) + (3800 x 2) + 9200 = 278300 EXP to level up all my main units, no idea about the three summon units I have access to, but they have the same EXP chart.

Anyway it should take me a few hours but I can manage, especially since I can level up Toris, Folte, Resi and Amer to the point of four man army-ing the Quicksand Valley with the help of healing items, and stock up on EXP, which I'm already doing honestly. The EXP just adds to a counter that you can later choose to apply to units post battle, be it through quitting a battle prematurely or winning.

Amer comes in handy for sniping the units, especially the summoners, with the Lil' Imp's Evil Fire, the rest is physical attackers and the occasional Tete summon (the もうゆるさん! spell, "Grr, this is what you get!"), though Amer and Toris also have Lipsy for healing with Little Heal. I think I replaced Toris' Lipsy with Pouso, though, I might put Lipsy back. I also sometimes get Nesty out to help me summon some Loreilal and colorless summons, I have to rely on Summon areas for Silturn summons rn. It's a crime how many Colorless Summonite Stones I have compared to the first game, wish I had more Oni and Spirit Stones...

So yeah, wish me luck (^^)v

As an aside, the recently released Memorial Service Tempest SMW hack has a stage named "The Great Prairie" in Japanese.

Its graphics are a bunch of wwwwww

Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Continued the Shadowrun Returns trilogy with the creatively named final installment Hong Kong. The fist game is a murder mystery, the second is a conspiracy thriller, the final one is a horror story, a very different feel.

In the first two campaigns, your character is an accomplished mercenary-black-ops-man, whereas is Hong Kong your character is a (probably) law abiding citizen forced into the underworld. Your character also has more of a backstory and previous relations with some of the characters; some people didn't like this but I think it upped the emotional stakes. The main teammates in your party are also younger and less experienced than the ones in Dragonfall, which results in very different dialogue.

In the past two campaigns most missions took place in either slums, laboratories, or corporate offices; Hong Kong has much more diversity in its set pieces; one level can turn into a restaurant shoot out if it plays out a certain way. Even when old themes are used, they're given more personality; the Kowloon walled city for example is depicted as an infinite bleak void of buildings stretching up and down, with gunshots and crying as ambient sounds, rather than just another dense slum.

The walled city was an established part of the ttrpg a few years before preparations were underway to demolish it in real life, but the big alternate universe divergent stuff in the lore happens in the early 2010s. The solution? They built a second one at some point. This is just one of the many examples of 90s stuff that has persisted in the game over the years. I think the Hong Kong of 2056 still uses the 1959 flag.

Gameplay wise there are a few changes.
First is the inclusion of a cyberware affinity skill, which lets you make a killer cyborg build for your character.
Second is changes to spirit summoning. Spirits are overall weaker, but more reliable. I like the change it makes spirit summoning a tool I use much more.
Third is changes to ley/dragon lines, spaces in the environment that power up magic wielding characters. In Dead Man's Switch and Dragonfall, ley lines were usually out in the open. "Yeah, sure, I'll put my squishy support character out in front of all the guns." In Hong Kong, dragon lines are usualy behind cover, so I find myself placing dudes on them more. Unfortunately, dragon lines are not as cool looking as ley lines.

I know this is a weird thing to compliment in a game, but I really like the look of the character portraits. I would post some, but adding pictures doesn't seem to be working at the moment.
KobaBeach
i lived bitch

Post by KobaBeach »

At Chapter 8 in Summon Night 2, trying to get everyone to Lv18 since one to two rounds of the Great Prairie (11300 EXP) is enough to level up around those numbers, 15-18 being 9200, 10600, 12100, 13700 respectively. Toris can effectively one woman army the Great Prairie at Lv18 with the stat building I gave her, though she needs a few casts of Lipsy to recover from the Summon Monster clean up at the start of the match, the Summoners have Hippos and Tamus/Rock Material and Lil' Imp respectively.

Hippos and Tamus can cast sleep (Sweet Breath) or a highly damaging attack (Acid Breath), there's also Dark Breath which does less damage and can cast Darkness, but I haven't seen the weaker Summoner cast it yet. Rock Material does weak damage with Petit Meteor. Most of my time the weak Summoner usually casts either Petit Meteor a lot or Sweet Breath + Petit Meteor, which is not a big deal, basically fall asleep then get woken up automatically by Petit Meteor the next turn, letting me attack. Acid Breath seems to be on certain circumstances wrt how the AI is programmed (the AI in Summon Night is incredibly easy to manipulate), namely if you have allies around you while being in the Summoner's range.

The leader Summoner has access to Evil Fire and Evil Spike (Evil Fire spelled Ibiru Faia, and Evil Spike spelled Ebiru Supaiku??? k) and if your Magic Defense isn't high enough, Evil Spike can destroy you despite it's weird X shaped attack radius. Evil Fire is nothing to sneeze at either, which is why I rely on it with Amer (also trauma from Summon Night 1) but thankfully I have Toris' Physical and Magical Defense buffed up enough that she can take either no prob, usually does like 9 damage, and my strategy always sets me up to be at range to walk up to the Summoner and do one attack. He's in defensive stance, making him block it which makes it deal slightly less damage, but it's usually a volley of like. Evil Fire, then I slash at him, Evil Fire, then slash, Evil Fire, then kill.

I've also managed to get Minis and Nesty to catch up pretty nicely to Lv14, need to work on Keina, Resi and Rocca, and the summons, of which Taquesi* is a unit too, so... There's two Sapureth summon units. Go off. I'm checking right now and Maetropa seems to have a unit named Punim, I think this one is new... I assume it's the one with weird fluffy fingers at the edge of its ears that it can shape into a punch, on the map screen. Maetropa also has Swamp, which is also new. Sapureth has one more in the form of Gurimu? Silturn has Shishikoma and Nagare, the latter of which I actually got and forgot about until now, and Loreilal also has Golem and Bocks, which seem to function simply as extra units, fitting for a golem, really.

Anyway Jakinie was surprisingly tough, need to pump up Defense more, Magic Defense effectively made his Lorelei's Aqua Tornado useless outside of like Morlin and Kazamine lmao. Need to get some repeats of Lorelei for my Maetropa aligned units.

* - Taquesi is renamed Ghoul in Swordcraft 1 iirc, it also shows up in the Wario battle in Seawar Mario World (with a custom sprite, I'd personally just rip one from Swordcraft honestly) along with one summon's laser bits (forget its name, Wingale? I got that one recently) and Silvana, a Wyvern who is an event summon here and part of Minis' subplot, don't know if there's any Silturn summons in that boss battle.

-------------------------------

I've also beat the first two stages (of 12 apparently, can't find much info on later games though) of Farland Story 1 and it's alright. I feel like Albert Odyssey took a huge deal of inspiration from it, there's a lot of parallels between the two gameplay wise, semi-hexagonal movement, no MP healing spells, easy difficulty curve, similar characters...

BTAxis, the translation patch author, apparently fucked with the gameplay in later Farlands' patches to increase difficulty, but allowed to restore the original difficulty if one so wished, which is good, but 3 has a problem where some enemies are hardcoded by TGL for some reason, so he changed those but can't change them back which is, A Choice. Other than that it's bog standard Strategy RPG, but being able to control a turn based strategy RPG with the mouse is fucking cathartic, though. Trying to figure out F12 was the mouse shortcut in NP21/W was a thing, shout outs to r/pc98.

Best Google results these days are from Reddit and Stack Exchange+Stack Exchange clones, swear to god. Then again Google is purposefully ignoring smaller sites these days. Don't be evil, my ass. Anyway BTAxis changed the User Disk info text into a Miami Mike-ass call out (and a nice hello to people who knew him so there's that I guess).

I mean Dynamic-Designs still does this shit so I guess it's just "as was the style at the time". Readmes don't exist in this universe.

I'm planning on going through the whole Farland series, as the resident Strategy RPG bitch. Saga 1&2 (first one was where worldpeace got some music for JUMP, Farland is popular in South Korea and China, Windows versions of Saga 1 onwards were translated), the Gaiden games on SNES, the seventh PC98 entry, the eighth Story entry, which is on Windows, and both Odysseys are not translated to English. Out of those Odyssey 2 seems to be hard to track down so I might just play the Korean version despite being unable to read it, it's named Farland Tactics 4 there I believe (it's kind of a mystery dungeon type game tho, numbering started at Saga 1).

Korean PC games are really easy to find and Farland Odyssey 1&2 were never ported to consoles. Symphony and FS8 are on My Abandonware, and FS8, Saga 2 and Odyssey 1 are on the Redump IBM PC Compatible set, F on archive.org (lemme know if you want a link, no warez rule after all. p.s. have I mentioned how much I love archive.org's stash of Japanese PC games). I will play either the PSX or Saturn versions of Farland Saga 1&2, though. Summing it up: Symphony has been translated for some reason, along with the PCFX port of 1 and the first six PC98 entries. Juuou no Akashi... Not today. But I will still play you.

-------------------------------

Lastly, I've restarted Grandia with the PSX script patch from SegaXtreme, Masha'Allah. I love the entire cast of this game and the writing, oh my lord. Some jokes are uncomfortable, like the Clara sidequest with an old man (he's writing a love letter to a supposedly 18 year old girl, initially claiming it was in place of his son). But considering Lunar, I guess that's just how the Lunar and Grandia crew write. Ginn (where did ShotgunNova get "Java" from) is a superb character and Sue is one of my favorite RPG characters ever so far.

Currently at Leck Mines and I'm resting a bit before pushing onward to reach the Steamer Ship (more like cleveland steamer hurr hurr). My opinions on this game have not changed, truly a masterpiece. Patching this game was a bit of a pain, mostly because I set the region free patch on the Sega Saturn Patcher and Mednafen seems to be incompatible with it? Leaving the translation patch to alter the region to NTSC-U (it basically forces it by default) seemed to fix it.

HatKid

Post by HatKid »

Finally got to the final dungeon in The Legend of Heroes: Trails to Azure. Was planning on really getting into it before I stopped but the pre-dungeon optional events and prep took much longer than I anticipated so... but! Even starting it is a huge milestone. I can't wait to see how it all concludes, well, at least the Azure plot since Crossbell isn't going away any time soon. Looking at the maps for the dungeon, it does look like it's pretty dang long. Great! But it hasn't been cramped like Zero's final dungeon was so I guess I'm happy.

Been playing a little of Atelier Sophie on my Vita. I don't really like crafting games (Minecraft being a notable exception) all that much but I guess this one (and maybe the entire series? No way in heck I'd play em all though.) managed to appeal to me. I almost feel like there's too little direction, but at the same time it feels cool to figure things out, like where to find a certain material or where a certain monster is.

EllenHouraisan wrote: 2 weeks ago Video games.

Playing through Fire Emblem 6 after getting into the series with 7. [...]
Have fun? FE6 is definitely one of my least favorite FE games for some of the reasons you mentioned. Such a massive mistep after Thracia 776...
EllenHouraisan
Official Worst Girl

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Well, the core gameplay loop is still fun, but the game really tests my patience sometimes. The Bow of the Wind mission almost made me give up on it, and I'm now savescumming like hell.

Probably gonna try out Thracia 776 next, but not right away. Got some other games I need to get back to before that.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Xenoblade Chronicles 2, just got up to the end of Chapter 1. I know where I'm going thanks to Chuggaconroy's LP being what got me into the game, but the journey is part of the destination.

Also been mucking around in OG Metroid. To misquote Nick Landis: "Everything looks the goddamn same on this goddamn planet!"
And now to reveal my rejected names: Darth Vader's Tough Savannah Mansion in Canada's Chapter
Enjl
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Enjl »

Playing metroid dread all day and really enjoying it. I think I'm nearing the lategame now. My most recently acquired ability is

the screw attack

I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
HatKid

Post by HatKid »

EllenHouraisan wrote: 1 week ago Well, the core gameplay loop is still fun, but the game really tests my patience sometimes. The Bow of the Wind mission almost made me give up on it, and I'm now savescumming like hell.

Probably gonna try out Thracia 776 next, but not right away. Got some other games I need to get back to before that.
Haha, I usually savescum FE games, my luck is too crappy to not do so, the obvious exception is if I'm playing on console.
I would say at least play Genealogy of the Holy War first, since Thracia is a midquel that I feel like isn't nearly as interesting if you haven't played Genealogy first.
------

Beat Trails to Azure, and it now has to compete with Sky the 3rd for my favorite Trails game. It's fantastic. I can't wait for the official localization because then it's easier for more people to play it. Um, I don't really know what else to say, but yeah. I liked it haha
Bean

Post by Bean »

Metroid Dread is great. Had a fun time going through an 100% run in just a hair over nine hours my first time through. I'll be coming back to this one again.
Onurubu
Head in the clouds, where it's hard to breathe
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Onurubu »

I have been playing Persona 5 Royal.

Some backstory:
Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 were the two games that split my final year of high school into two halves. I happened to randomly stumble upon a used PSVita at the beginning of 2017, and then ordered P4G to play on it. I had heard it was a really good game and even owned the ps2 version and played a little of it on there (although I was very young and it was too much for me). I always wanted to play Persona 4 and thought that was the best opportunity to do so.

I ended up falling in love with the game and the day I finished it (~ August 2017) I ordered Persona 5 and started playing it. I fell in love with that game as well. Those two games were perfect frameworks and experiences for that year for me (as I said it was my final year of high school).
Anyway I had let it rest for 4 years, but decided to play Persona 5 Royal and I have been enjoying it so much. There are a lot of quality of life improvements, the graphics are so much prettier, the new area is awesome, and the new OST is amazing.
As for the new characters,

I love the councillor and Jose so far. Both seem really interesting. Kasumi left a poor first impression on me but is very quickly winning me back

Overall I am loving it, but it is difficult not to constantly make comparisons to the first game and note all the differences

like the introduction of Kasumi in the opening scene stuck out for me because it felt really out of place

. Another problem I have noticed is

only the protagonist ever seems to interact with Kasumi, making her indeed feel very much like she was just pushed in without changing anything to acknowledge her presence. Although I believe her character is really strong now that I have spent more time with her.

Anyway, I am mostly loving it, I have loved all of the changes and new additions, and I am very much looking forward to seeing all the cool new stuff I have yet to reach.

If anyone else has some thoughts on Persona 5 Royal I would love to talk about it!
Perpetually distracted
:bi_pride: ( :pan_pride: ?)
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

my understanding is that that's by design.

I'm stumbling around Torigoth in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I can see why people love this game; I'll have to get Xenoblade Chronicles 1 once I'm done with 2 so that I get the other half of the jokes (alternatively I could just watch cc's let's play of it)
Doc Sophie
Cheese is both a superior tactic *and* food!
First name: Sophie

Post by Doc Sophie »

Xenoblade 1 is fantastic, highly recommend it. I'd argue that it's a more... polished experience than the sequel; definitely less deep, though, since XB2 has stacks on stacks on stacks of systems.

Also since the English patch dropped yesterday, I've been marathoning the shit out of Labyrinth of Touhou. God what a fantastic dungeon crawler that thing is. Needless to say, everything else has been put on the backburner lol