make mario levels make mario levels make mario levels make mario levels make mario levels

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
User avatar
Onurubu
Head in the clouds, where it's hard to breathe
Posts: 7
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronouns: he/him
Location: South Africa

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Onurubu »

Kleetus wrote: 1 week ago Finished playing around with endings in Shadowrun Dragonfall; for the best, the bad ending, the one I originally got ends halfway through the final level. The second half isn't very good though.

The bad ending gives you an alternate final boss, which I feel is a lot harder than the true final boss, and quite emotionally charged.

Depending on a choice made in the penultimate level you can snag an optional party member for the last one,

PANZERDRHONE

, who is pretty much the most useless party member in the game.

It isn't affected by most buffs, has horrible action economy, can't get through small passages, and isn't affected by the full party heal right before the final boss.



There's a small connection between Dragonfall and the fist campaign Dead Man's Switch in a the form of a quick appearance by

Lofwyr, who fucks off right before the final act of the first game.

. You know buddy, we could have used your help saving the world back in Seattle, but conducting a job interview was more important. This must be the "sigma male grindset" I keep hearing about.

So, I've been flipping through some Shadowrun game books to get a better feeling for the setting. It was a clever decision to make the character Feuerschwinge a focal point.
I started playing shadowfall returns in 2018 and was enjoying it so much. However I dropped it like halfway through and haven’t touched since. Maybe I should try playing it again.
Perpetually distracted
:bi_pride: ( :pan_pride: ?)
Image
User avatar
KobaBeach
Grid level 1! Let's kick some ass!
Posts: 2806
Joined: 8 years ago
First name: David
Pronouns: he/they
Location: Portugal
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by KobaBeach »

:mgmnds: :mgmnds: :mgmnds: :mgmnds:

Image

me after phantasy star ii

this game sucks shit from every angle

gave up after reaching mother brain
with cheat codes to run from every battle on noah
and to buy star mist at paseo
because shir's stealing mechanic is a joke

:mgmnds: :mgmnds: :mgmnds: :mgmnds:
RPG spreadsheet thing to brag at how enlightened i am in terms of shitty dnd video games i've beat unlike you commoners who play genshin impact 8-) 8-) 8-)
New games beat throughout the years

"Prepare for word torture! I can't keep quiet. I'm full of dangerous phrases that should be censored." - gandhi

who cares:
Image

Image

Image
Image :nb_pride:
thatguyif
Posts: 841
Joined: 7 years ago
Pronouns: We Are The 99%
Location: Over There

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by thatguyif »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 2 weeks ago Tabletop Simulator! I've been playing some board games! Bullet❤️is a bullet-hell magical-girl puzzle, Red Dragon Inn is a fun game about drinking, Carcassonne is a countryside builder where you claim castles and farms and roads, Azul is a delightful tile-building game, Xia: Legends of a Drift System is tabletop Elite, Root is a brutal and highly asymmetric simulation of Redwall... and with a totally different group I've been playing the extremely dry yet still quite fun Time of Crisis: The Roman Empire in Turmoil, 235-284 AD. I'm not gonna do writeups for all of them, but they're all good in different ways.
Campaign for North Africa when

Anyway, finished two games this week:
Axiom Verge 2 I 100%edThe this week. I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I loved the setting of Kiengir and how it leans into Sumerian/Akkadian mythos, I especially loved the Anatolian/Levantine music. Game was fun to mull about and figure things out, and I only really pulled out a guide for the last couple health and skill point pick-ups. The game gets really creative with using your skills to reveal hidden stuff, and that was cool. The game's "second half" (i.e. when you

lose control of your original body and become the Morph Ball drone

) is extremely cool. I like that the game doesn't have "bosses" in the traditional sense, because while they do exist, you can just skip them if you want, and you're given wide latitude on how to handle them. The only two boss fights you have to fight are essentially unloseable. So that's really nice. It definitely emphasizes melee over ranged combat, but it was still fun.

Story thoughts, spoilers ahoy:
I forgot that Hammond was mentioned in Axiom Verge as well.

Can't wait for the TQ+ community to claim Hammond was actually GQ/trans/NB and not just a character who hadn't been completely thought out by Happ when she first appeared 🙄

With that said, the whole idea that Hammond is dead all along, and you're actually speaking to her spirit in the "afterlife" - along with the fact that the afterlife is not only just another reality/universe, but also really a prison - was really interesting. It opens up a lot of questions about how life actually works in the Axiom Verge universe. The fact that Indra (in her original body) comes back at the end and saves you is rather insane. There were also some weirdly trippy moments, particularly the newspaper clippings from the future, and the fact that the humans in this game become mini-Vedurs from the original game just because you touched them as a drone. There are very clear sequel hooks at the end, particularly the notion that Hammond's spirit was working for someone, the mentions of the PatternMind being the only thing capable of clearing the Breach to see what lies beyond, among other things.

Oh...and while I did call Indra becoming a Rusalka, I did not expect her to be Ophelia. I honestly expected her to be Elsenova. Then again...seems the most plausible.
I also finally played Panzer Dragoon Remake. It was kind of forced on me because a friend I caught up with on vacation wanted to see that particular game in action, so I played the first three episodes on Easy. Given how short the game actually is, I decided to go through the rest. This is a game I really want to enjoy, but one that is brought down by its controls. I have yet to use the "Modern" controls, but the Classic controls are the only ones that allow motion control on the Joy-Cons. Which is fine and dandy, except...instead of linking motion controls to aim, they linked it to movement. Honestly, that doesn't really work well in a rail shooter setting, but it's also just a complete waste to do it that way. Maybe I'll fare better with "Modern" controls, but I dunno. I'll play Normal mode eventually, but not right at this juncture.

I think I'll return to Bully this weekend, along with playing around in Tony Hawk. Next week, I'll start up my Metroid project.
Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
User avatar
raekuul
D&C 134:2
Posts: 1257
Joined: 12 years ago
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: Callisto Rift
Contact:

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by raekuul »

Taking a short break from Fire Emblem The One With Lyn in order to play some NES Zelda. Already up to eight hearts and four deaths, though two of those were from trying to grab the Magic Key without a bow.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021
Image
And now to reveal my rejected names: Darth Vader's Tough Savannah Mansion in Canada's Chapter
User avatar
Nast
Posts: 229
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: Portugal

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Nast »

Beat zangyou mode in Kero Blaster. I was going into this expecting a straightforward hard mode, but it's pretty much a second campaign with unique levels and bosses. It's still much harder than the main game for sure, but I got really lucky on the final boss and managed to beat it first try with 0 lives remaining and one hit from death. Felt like my heart was beating out of my chest lol. Overall it was a fun if sometimes stressful ride. If I ever replay this game I'll probably just stick to the main campaign for the sake of my mental health.

On the other hand, Escape Goat utterly defeated me. I got about 50% of the postgame done before losing all motivation to continue. Every puzzle devolved into IWBTG, and it wouldn't be right to say that's bad design but it's not what I signed up for and it's certainly not for me. I'm a little bummed because it's otherwise a pretty charming little game and I wanted to give it a thorough playthrough, but it's just not happening.

Started up Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight, an indie metroidvania. Only about 30 minutes into it so I don't have much to say about it yet. Seems pleasant so far

And on a random whim I reluctantly started Phantasy Star IV. I say reluctantly because I'm still intimidated by RPG's, and I wonder if this one's a smart choice for my level of experience. Biggest hurdle so far is that there's no tutorial and no in-game descriptions of techs and skills, so I'll have to keep the manual handy as I play. Otherwise it doesn't seem like it'll be too bad - I mean from what I understand this game is pretty well liked so how hard can it really be to get into
User avatar
KobaBeach
Grid level 1! Let's kick some ass!
Posts: 2806
Joined: 8 years ago
First name: David
Pronouns: he/they
Location: Portugal
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat Contra III: The Alien Wars. I played the JP version, Contra Spirits, for the 30 lives and infinite continues though. I'm bad at video games !! Overall it's a really fun, bombastic shooter that sadly feels a bit more cruelly designed and less fine-tuned than say, Gunstar Heroes. Either way, for a challenge junkie, this would be something up their alley, and very much worth the grind to 1CC.

Also kind of dropped Mega Man Battle Network because man
RPG spreadsheet thing to brag at how enlightened i am in terms of shitty dnd video games i've beat unlike you commoners who play genshin impact 8-) 8-) 8-)
New games beat throughout the years

"Prepare for word torture! I can't keep quiet. I'm full of dangerous phrases that should be censored." - gandhi

who cares:
Image

Image

Image
Image :nb_pride:
User avatar
Slimeman01
Elecman D A B B B
Posts: 561
Joined: 7 years ago
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: Somewhere in Canada, Eh?
Contact:

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Slimeman01 »

Hey so uhhhhhhhhhhhh Warioware: Get it Together! is like super cool? Just a really fun experience as expected with Wario and the gang! The new microgame mechanics are super fun, and trying to adapt to each game with each character is a lot of fun (Even if at time the solution seems suuuuuuuuuuper unobvious with certain characters, like

5 Volt

or

Pyoro

. I beat the main story today, only took me a couple hours to do too, and now I get access to the whole rest of the game!
:iris: Come vibe with me on Twitch, every Tuesday at 8pm PST! :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
KobaBeach
Grid level 1! Let's kick some ass!
Posts: 2806
Joined: 8 years ago
First name: David
Pronouns: he/they
Location: Portugal
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by KobaBeach »

gave phantasy star 2 a mercy kill by beating it with the help of always run and buying star mist cheat codes

complete

also beat iceman.exe on megaman battle network 1 and i'm at stage 5 in demon's crest
RPG spreadsheet thing to brag at how enlightened i am in terms of shitty dnd video games i've beat unlike you commoners who play genshin impact 8-) 8-) 8-)
New games beat throughout the years

"Prepare for word torture! I can't keep quiet. I'm full of dangerous phrases that should be censored." - gandhi

who cares:
Image

Image

Image
Image :nb_pride:
User avatar
Onurubu
Head in the clouds, where it's hard to breathe
Posts: 7
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronouns: he/him
Location: South Africa

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Onurubu »

I will be grinding the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer for like 10+ hours this weekend.

The context of why is below but I hid it because of how much I wrote. It started with me trying to give context but mostly just turned into a recollection of random stuff and a weird sort of rant. So read it if you want.
The Mass Effect trilogy is my favourite collection of games ever. It played a big part in my formative years and I love it so much.

Last year around May I started the trilogy again while my girlfriend watched me play the whole thing over discord (we got separated on opposite ends of the country because of lockdown.)

We got through the first game in like 6 weeks, and the second game in around 2 months. Then we started 3 and still haven't finished it. Last time we played it was about November last year.

The remaster of the original trilogy came out this year. Although I am happy that it exists, they changed the graphical style of the first 2 games as well as the gameplay, that is why I didn't really want to switch to the remaster for this playthrough with my GF.

The main reason however is the fact that they removed a certain aspect from Mass Effect 3 that by all means seems objectively "good" but in my mind it takes away from the experience that the original game was going for.
In the original release of Mass Effect 3 to get the best endings for the main Single player campaign you had to play the online Multiplayer mode a lot.

Basically you have war assets and a "galactic readiness" meter in the game that shows how prepared the galaxy is for the final battle. The war assets are collected through the story and side quests in the actual game, however the "readiness" meter can only be raised by playing the multiplayer mode.

Many people rightfully criticised and hated this mechanic in the original release however I always really liked the idea of the multiplayer influencing the campaign (although I believe that you should be able to opt out of the system).

The multiplayer is 4 player co op wave based survival btw. I should add that I have always loved the multiplayer mode and have found it very fun.

Anyway, the remaster removed the multiplayer and therefore also removed this readiness mechanic, and that actually made me quite sad.

In conclusion, for my Girlfriend's first experience of the game I want her to experience the game as it was originally released and presented the same way I did. So today I will begin doing what has made me put ME3 on hold for 10 months, I will begin grinding ME3 multiplayer so that I can finally finish the game sometime this week and finally get to talk about my favourite series freely with my girlfriend.
Perpetually distracted
:bi_pride: ( :pan_pride: ?)
Image
User avatar
raekuul
D&C 134:2
Posts: 1257
Joined: 12 years ago
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: Callisto Rift
Contact:

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by raekuul »

The Legend of Zelda: The Hyrule Fantasy. I forgot how much of a pain in the ass LEVEL-9 is. really glad I'm not planning on going through second quest.

Also still dicking around in early Hypnospace Outlaw, still chipping away at bronze awards in Jupiter Hell (though I should at least be targeting Silver awards instead), and and old addiction has resurfaced as I strive to full-epic my event champions in Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021
Image
And now to reveal my rejected names: Darth Vader's Tough Savannah Mansion in Canada's Chapter
User avatar
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.
Posts: 342
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: Under a starless sky (due to light pollution)

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Kleetus »

raekuul wrote: 1 week ago and and old addiction has resurfaced as I strive to full-epic my event champions in Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms.
While Idle Champion isn't something I'm too familiar with. I feel I can say with some certainty that the little theme song they wrote for Arkhan, "You Could Be My Dragon Queen" is one of the greatest and most absurd things that have come out of Dungeons and Dragons in recent years.
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Doc Sophie
Cheese is both a superior tactic *and* food!
Posts: 5
Joined: 1 week ago
First name: Sophie
Pronouns: she/her
Location: USA

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Doc Sophie »

I've been playing a lot of Dark Souls 3 lately, ended up getting to the Grand Archives (plus the optional areas of
Consumed Garden/Untended Graves and Archdragon Peak
) before getting annoyed and putting it down for a bit. Not gonna lie, I think I'll end up liking the second game more than the third by the time I'm done!

During my break from DS3, I'm playing Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark because I wanted something... less deeply frustrating than the Souls series. Also the vague rumors of a FF Tactics remake have me itching for a good strategy RPG and by god is Fell Seal a good strategy RPG. It hits pretty much all the marks that keep me coming back to Tactics! <3
User avatar
KobaBeach
Grid level 1! Let's kick some ass!
Posts: 2806
Joined: 8 years ago
First name: David
Pronouns: he/they
Location: Portugal
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by KobaBeach »

Started Popful Mail's US version without the Unworked Designs patch just for the lolz and it's alright, but its challenge feels like my last few colonoscopies, at World 2. Also started Lunar: Silver Star Story's Saturn version, heading up the Crystal Tower. *lion-o voice* Saturn games beat amount inflation, hoooooo.

Also started practicing Keio Flying Squadron, not aiming for a 1cc, but I'm trying to beat it under the amount of continues it allows me. First got to Stage 6 in Easy Mode before game overing, now practicing on Normal. Managed to beat Stage 1 with only one life lost.
RPG spreadsheet thing to brag at how enlightened i am in terms of shitty dnd video games i've beat unlike you commoners who play genshin impact 8-) 8-) 8-)
New games beat throughout the years

"Prepare for word torture! I can't keep quiet. I'm full of dangerous phrases that should be censored." - gandhi

who cares:
Image

Image

Image
Image :nb_pride:
User avatar
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Posts: 316
Joined: 7 years ago
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by HatKid »

I guess I decided screw SMT4 (for now) and went to go finish my NG+ playthrough of Trails of Cold Steel on Hard difficulty that I started around four years ago. Game's still pretty fun, though holy crap some enemies are really beefy. The plan is to finish the game since I have probably two hours left at most, then after I finish Trails to Azure at some point before I die, replay Cold Steel 1 on Nightmare NG++, then carry over to Cold Steel II and do NG+, and after that, maybe I'll have Cold Steel III on either PS4 or PC (kinda want the Switch version, but supposedly it crashes a ton so eh) by that point.
I played the PS Vita version for a bit with my 100% completely legitimate copy of it and it runs about as poorly as I'd heard (it really doesn't matter since it's a turn-based RPG) but I transferred the save back to the PS3 version because the Vita DLC kept uninstalling itself or something IDK, whatever it was redownloading all the DLC from PS Store would fix it, but I didn't really want to do that every time I booted the game after turning my Vita back on.
User avatar
raekuul
D&C 134:2
Posts: 1257
Joined: 12 years ago
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: Callisto Rift
Contact:

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by raekuul »

fire emblem 7 is supposed to be one of the easier ones but its still kicking my ass I really need to learn how to think Fire Emblem.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021
Image
And now to reveal my rejected names: Darth Vader's Tough Savannah Mansion in Canada's Chapter
User avatar
Scarfley
Posts: 4
Joined: 1 week ago
Pronouns: he/him

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Scarfley »

I had some money left to spare on the 3DS Nintendo eShop and came across WarioWare: Snapped. I have heard about the game before and know that people are saying that it isn't very good but the experimental gameplay approach the game had really made me curious.
So I bought it. Then I played it... or at least I wanted to but I had to first get the game to even work properly which took like half an hour.

For those who know nothing about the game, it is basically a microgame collection similar to the other WarioWare titles, except this specific entry in the series has the main gimmick of using the digital camera of the Nintendo DSi (or 3DS) as the way to control all of the microgames.
And it unfortunately just doesn't really work well. It already requires tons of effort to get the gimmick to work properly, including having the right lightning and playing it in front of a background with a colour that contrasts your skin colour or else the game does not recognise the outlines of your body properly.

And even after going through the trouble of setting everything up the microgames are just not all that fun to play. The controls are not all that responsive and there is a lot of delay.
Presumably to compensate for the janky gimmick, the actual microgames have a much longer time limit than in other WarioWare titles and there are only five of them per stage (meaning that there are only 20 microgames in total, five of which are only playable with two players).
Even the process of aiming for high scores that made the other games in the series so fun and replayable is not present here.
The only punishment for losing a microgame is also just not getting to see a photo of yourself while playing that specific microgame.
And even the photos don't really matter because they are all being deleted after closing the game.
Everything just kind of feels... pointless?
The part of the game that felt the most gamelike was actually the credits given that you were able to shoot the names of the people who made the game, aim for high scores and dodge aliens and all that. But even this part is kind of brought down a lot by the pretty bad controlls.
(And your high score disappears forever when you close the game :-( )
At least the presentation is quite nice, although the variety of the art you get to see is very limited given the few microgames the game has.
There is also a fun little segment after every stage where you get to see edited pictures of yourself while playing the microgames (my favourite being all of the pictures being presented like a comic strip with speech bubbles and everything. Pretty cool honestly.)

Even though the game has a lot of problems I still respect the game a lot for what it tried to do even if it really did not work well at all in the end.
It is still a super unique experience that is probably going to disappear forever in the next few years after the 3DS eShop closes since I doubt that it is ever going to be able to be emulated properly due to its weird gimmicky nature.

So... can I recommend this game? No, not really, I mean the fact that it took me twice as long to get the game to work properly than it took to play through the actual game itself (including the credits) kind of speaks for itself.

The other games in the WarioWare series are REALLY good though so please give them a shot if you have never heard of the series before. :-D
User avatar
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.
Posts: 342
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: Under a starless sky (due to light pollution)

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Kleetus »

WarioWare: Snapped is one of those glorified tech demo games. It was included with early DSi models as a way of showing of the fact "yes this system does indeed have a built in camera".

A few of the WarioWare games are fancy tech demos, but Snapped was the one where showing of a piece of hardware was clearly prioritized above all else.
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Scarfley
Posts: 4
Joined: 1 week ago
Pronouns: he/him

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Scarfley »

I think what makes the best WarioWare titles so good is probably that they take a weird console quirk and go wild with it, making you appreciate something a console can do which would otherwise just be seen by the majority of gamers as an annoying gimmick (like motion controls for example).
The main problem with Snapped was probably that its gimmick, the built in digital camera, was just not capable of being explored in the same fashion as other gimmicks due to technical limitations (after all the game is a challenge to even get to work properly).

One major downside to all of those gimmick heavy WarioWare games is definitely that preserving them is really difficult since they are basically tied to the console they were released on, making proper emulation and rereleases very challenging if not basically impossible.
User avatar
Onurubu
Head in the clouds, where it's hard to breathe
Posts: 7
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronouns: he/him
Location: South Africa

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Onurubu »

Finally built the motivation to record another episode of my OMORI LP today and that was a lot of fun. Finally experiencing the combat properly which is way more indepth than I thought it would be.

Currently waiting the release of deltarune chapter 2 so that I can do an LP of that as soon as possible. My LP of chapter 1 was one of the first on youtube and I loved that game so so much (more than undertale)
Perpetually distracted
:bi_pride: ( :pan_pride: ?)
Image
User avatar
Nast
Posts: 229
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: Portugal

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Nast »

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight - now that I've finished it I can say it's pretty great. Combat is super simple but punchy and satisfying, movement can be slightly clunky but works well, and it's soaking with eerie atmosphere. Went ahead and played new game+ as well, which was a little more frustrating because your map completion carries over so it was much harder to tell where I'd already been. Also tried beating every boss without taking damage since it unlocks special items. I don't think contact damage belongs in a melee-oriented game like this at all - but otherwise it was a decently fun challenge.

Metroid Fusion - beat this one too, and man what an excellent game. It's definitely more on the linear side which goes a little against the spirit of the old Metroids, I guess? But taking it for what it is, it's really good. Unfortunately I'm not even going near 100% item completion since apparently some of them are pretty obtuse and/or require advanced techniques.

To The Moon - didn't take long for this one to fully engross me, and I blew through it in two sittings. It's a great little story with a fascinating premise. There's a few corny jokes in there but it's got a pretty good mix between lighthearted and bittersweet. Only really bad thing I can complain about is that the puzzles felt a bit tacked in.

Drill Dozer - been playing this one to get another fix of GBA platformer goodness. Just finished area 3, the ruins. It's got pretty neat ideas for various ways to use your drill, and tearing through shit is fun, but it feels a little shallow for some reason. The level design is so, I dunno, rigid? There's barely any exploration, you just go where the game wants you to go and there's little variation in how you can approach any given obstacle. Like, I wouldn't see much reason to replay these levels if there weren't some as-of-yet inaccessible areas sprinkled in.

Phantasy Star IV - I've enlisted the help of my husband to get through this one a little easier, and it's going ok. One dungeon early on had enemies that were wiping the floor with me and that jarred me a bit, but by now I've accepted that as the norm and I've internalized some of the nuances to get by, such as healing frequently between battles and not being too stingy about using tech. I'm also getting lost in the overworld quite often but that's likely down to poor sense of direction on my part. Anyway, I think I'm managing to have a good time all things considered. Just had my first encounter with Zio, got separated from Hahn and Alys, and am on my way to some tower whose name I forgot.

Streets of Rage 2 - finally beat this with my husband! It's a lot of fun with two-players but the later stages are so spammy lol. I'm curious to try it solo to see if it's more manageable.
Post Reply