What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
KobaBeach
ark, whomst is a lad
First name: David
Pronouns: he/they

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by KobaBeach »

At Eklemata in Terranigma. Zue was surprisingly not the worst thing to me, Canyon was a bit annoying. So far Tower 4 was really the place I had the worst time in. Lions are fwends

EDIT: At Chapter 10: The Rainbow Bridge in Bahamut Lagoon. I'm getting more into it, but not 100%. I get into the trap of abusing the dragons by leaving them on Go! and just having them attack far away enemies through AI and then I don't set them to Come! in time and then they die, so everyone's magic gets set back to Lv1 because the dragons' stats augment your magic levels, so I have to resort to the base tactics. The battles are easy but if you're just using the base tactics it isn't as fun as doing that on a turn based game I feel.

Also outside of that it's super different than the tactics ogre/final fantasy tactics/summon night, not-swordcraft mold, arc the lad and shining force, plus its battling all takes place in a turn based environment (you still trigger them through attacking an enemy in the battlefield and magic can be cast in the battle field to attack enemies indirectly, freeze water, purify poisoned marshes, set fire to bushes for area damage etc), so it messes up with my SRPG way of thinking big time.

EDIT 2: Also started a small replay of Popful Mail (Sega CD), English version this time, to fill dead space between when I feel like playing Bahalag and Terra. At Wind Cave in World 2 after a half hour of play.
RPG spreadsheet thing to brag at how enlightened i am in terms of shitty dnd video games i've beat unlike you commoners who play genshin impact 8-) 8-) 8-)
New games beat throughout the years

"Prepare for word torture! I can't keep quiet. I'm full of dangerous phrases that should be censored." - gandhi

who cares:

:pride:
KobaBeach
ark, whomst is a lad

Post by KobaBeach »

At Chapter 18 in Bahamut Lagoon and man this game's entire plot is a big nothing.

So far what's happened in the plot was the Kingdom of Kahna fell to the Granbelos Empire, a resistence has become to oppose Emperor Sauthar who abducted Yoyo to get the Divine Dragons, we rescued Yoyo after Validra rejected Sauthar, but Yoyo developed a crush on Palpaleos, we recovered Campbell, there's a dragon attack, we recover Maharl, Taicho reminisces about his dead wife Celine (one of the few good sets of scenes in the game), we recover the dragon Leviathan, we study the elite of the Empire, we recover Godland, we recover the dragon Garuda, we recover Daphila, everyone has sex (!??!?!), we recover Jörmungandr, the dragons attempt to open the Door of Ages or whatever, but because of Yoyo's weak heart it causes chaos so we had to stop them, now we're headed back to Kahna.

That's it.

The characters are all one-note jokes, a lot of the times i can barely destinguish one from the other. Don Juan is the worst video game character I have ever seen his entire existence is sexism. That's my biggest issue with the game. I could excuse the simplicity if the writing was charming, but even with Near's translation patch, it's just, Working Designs trying to write a JRPG. The jokes all feel like they come from a place of contempt and spite, even Sendak, the resident gay character who I like a lot, is mostly written as a joke. Don Juan, as I said, is just a pick up artist, an unlikable Johnny Bravo. The only scenes I could feel any sort of emotion from was the scenes with Celine and Taicho and the flash back with Hornet and

Sauthar

To put it simply. Earthbound's jokes feel like classic The Simpsons, there's heart and a bit of honesty. Bahamut Lagoon's feels like post-cancellation Family Guy or the entirety of South Park, nothing but spite and contempt.

There's a literal censored sex scene after breaking up a harem, with the harem members, where the characters "become men" as a joke. Like. That is just vile. Every character bounces off of each other in a basis of spite and disrespect. I don't want to sound like Mr. Enter here, just. It feels like it follows Doug Walker's bullshit rule of "comedy can only come from misery". I actively dislike playing this game, not in a way where it felt bad to play like Hydlide, but in a way where it psychologically hurt to play, it's like something written by a right wing RPG Maker author. I've only seen writing this cruel in like. The English language Lunar: The Silver Star, with its ableist jokes, people constantly shit talking each other (i hate english!nall), Kyle being fucking disgusting and sexist as a joke, the moment of a textbox in the thief town being of a thief selling Mia and Jessica's underwear and sheets or whatever?????????
RPG spreadsheet thing to brag at how enlightened i am in terms of shitty dnd video games i've beat unlike you commoners who play genshin impact 8-) 8-) 8-)

"Prepare for word torture! I can't keep quiet. I'm full of dangerous phrases that should be censored." - gandhi

who cares:

raekuul
D&C 134:2
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

help i'm drowning in pokeymans

I'm working routes 12-15 in Pokemon Yellow (I think I need to catch a Ditto while I'm down here? But I'm pretty sure there'll be one on the way to Mewtwo), and I've just started in on Pokemon Sword (I was gonna get Shield but my sister already has shield so by taking sword I know someone nearby that I can trade with). Also screw porygon costing 9999 coins in yellow.

I'm going to be starting an Ocarina of Time Multiworld Randomizer about this time tomorrow, too (multiworld == collaborative multiplayer, each player can find items for any player)

I finished the DLC Campaign for Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (I need to go back and redo the last couple chapters for turn par). I wish I could use DK/Rabbid Cranky in the main campaign, their abilities would be so useful.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021
And now to reveal my rejected names: Darth Vader's Tough Savannah Mansion in Canada's Chapter
KobaBeach
ark, whomst is a lad

Post by KobaBeach »

At Chapter 21 in Bahamut Lagoon, i literally spent most of today grinding my dragons to master dragons and it was better than most of the game because i didnt have to deal with shitty jokes

Also started The Legend of Heroes IV: A Tear of Vermillion's PC version and man right out of the gate this is hitting with the feels. Losing your adoptive home, losing your sister, your new friend sacrificing his wish in a festival so that your wish of finding your sister again will come true, losing your new caretaker as you grow older and taking on an adventure for his and your sister's sake, your new best friend friend flat out just choosing to go with you for no reason other than to see the world and to aid you in finding your sister...

don't worry terranigma i still love you bitch. I'm mostly using the ocr on my phone because my brain is too small

Some day I'll work on the backlog of flashcards I have sitting on my Anki.

who cares:

Bean

Post by Bean »

Bravely Default II is a very fun RPG that takes an old-school Final Fantasy approach and gives it a new coat of paint. It's not trying to be anything other than that, and I appreciate that fact after some of the dumb plot twists FFVII Remake had.
NastCF

Post by NastCF »

Started Shantae: Risky's Revenge (PC version) yesterday. It's giving me huge Wonder Boy vibes which is not what I was expecting at all, but I'm into it so far. The pixel art is gorgeous I gotta say - the UI not so much lol
KobaBeach
ark, whomst is a lad

Post by KobaBeach »

At Chapter 24: Back to The Homeland... in Bahamut Lagoon and let me tell you chapter 22 was a Struggle

so there's turrets, catapults, cannons all over the area right? and a lot of ramparts which means:
  1. you need to tear down ramparts with thunder magic before proceeding
  2. enemies can snipe you if you're in the wrong positions
  3. the cannons deal lots of damage
there was really no way i could win other than just. sic my dragons on gerald or whatever his name is. salamander was a phoenix which meant it basically took zero damage which basically turned it into a sort of war of attrition of whittling down grady's defenses with salamander and sometimes a few more dragons while everyone is chilling in the back. sadly yoyo's team got fucking noscoped so i had to rely on sendak's weak healing to help patch up my other dragons. even with fast forward it took me like 10 minutes? that was the worst srpg experience i ever had and that's how every encounter in this goes.

sic the dragons, whittle down defenses, advance when the coast is clear, then zerg rush the boss when able. every battle is like that. it doesn't help that the balance is extremely off, human and lil devil units are honestly lackluster, the dragons are so easy to raise if you have a guide that you really have no reason not to try and max them out with mushrooms, books, food and equipment as early as possible. humans are so fragile that even with the ability to recover lost hp and party members with no movement cost, all their spell levels and skills go down the drain as soon as the dragon dies, and even then they require mp and sp to use, so really it's best to just rely on dragons all the time, sometimes calling them back for healing purposes with your priest team.

this on top of an unengaging plot with paper-thin joke characters that is mostly held up by crass jokes and schoolboy humor makes for one of the squaresoft games i had the least enjoyment with. and i say this as someone who likes romancing saga 1. i appreciate the attempts at writing here with the message of "becoming strong as a person rather than relying on others" and the effects war can have on people but they're just really surface level and the characters are all one-note jokes that the deeper, more profound scenes feel awkward and tone-deaf. it doesn't know whether it wants to be a shitpost or a serious fantasy story. i haven't played it in a while but earthbound managed to strike a balance between humor and profoundness in a way that felt fulfilling, which makes sense since it was written by Shigesato Itoi who, among many other things, is an essayist.

this one just feels like my old fanfiction but with family guy jokes and. considering the writer of this later went on to do ffvii's wall market/honey bee inn segment and the entirety of ffxiii. im worried about ffxiii's plot. i know it's not crass but. man. i want to come out of ffxiii appreciating it even if i don't end up liking it.

Oh yeah i'm also at the Astral Cave in my Star Ocean replay. I'm gonna try to get Ashlay, T'nique and Pericci this time. Man i tried to go back to the start to grind patience (basically raise the CON stat) a bit and holy hot damn that place is like a romancing saga 3 dungeon @A@

who cares:

raekuul
D&C 134:2
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

I forgot how easy Sabrina is in Pokemon Yellow - I'm used to Blue Version where she's actually a threat. You can legitimately sweep her with a Parasect in Yellow (though you do have to use the X Accuracy bug to do it, since her Abra does nothing but reduce your accuracy while you set up)

...and I caught a Wooloo in Pokemon Sword. Woo.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021
And now to reveal my rejected names: Darth Vader's Tough Savannah Mansion in Canada's Chapter
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Started The Witness cause I just noticed it's free on PSN. I'm not really a puzzle gamer and I'm impatient but a lot of people I know talk good about it. I'm pretty medium on it. I think I'm playing it wrong because I like exploring and looking for secrets but I keep running into areas with puzzles that I don't know how to solve. It's possible that I wasn't taught the information yet or it might be that I'm dumb. I could be in a completely wrong area for all I know but so far as I'm going it's fun when I find a new area and find a secret and then frustrating when I'm presented with a puzzle and I just don't know what all this crap on the screen is supposed to mean.
I'm on Twitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I like to vanish from here forever repeatedly also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw

Argumentable#6424 if you wanna discord me
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Argumentable wrote: 2 days agoStarted The Witness cause I just noticed it's free on PSN. I'm not really a puzzle gamer and I'm impatient but a lot of people I know talk good about it. I'm pretty medium on it. I think I'm playing it wrong because I like exploring and looking for secrets but I keep running into areas with puzzles that I don't know how to solve. It's possible that I wasn't taught the information yet or it might be that I'm dumb. I could be in a completely wrong area for all I know but so far as I'm going it's fun when I find a new area and find a secret and then frustrating when I'm presented with a puzzle and I just don't know what all this crap on the screen is supposed to mean.
That sounds about right to me. A lot of the introductory puzzles for different game mechanics are kinda out of the way.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Yeah, it's not for me. I've done something like 112+ puzzles but nothing that I'm able to find currently is clicking for me. The current information I have for some puzzles doesn't match with what the puzzles are telling me I'm doing wrong. It's not for me because even though I've only played it for a day or two it's just super frustrating as I'm essentially running in circles looking at the same 5 or 6 puzzles I have available for me that either have no information or information I'm not sure how to use. I'm sure the game is fine. I know lots of people like it. I don't. I'm glad I gave it a chance though
I'm on Twitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I like to vanish from here forever repeatedly also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw

Cyril
metal nerd
First name: Cyril
Pronouns: he/she/they

Post by Cyril »

if you need assistance, there are like 11 different puzzle areas, and you only have to clear 7 to beat the game - one area is comprised of remixes of other puzzle types and thus doesn't teach you anything but the other 10 are relatively self-contained and basically just an escalation of one or two ideas, so you should be able to keep digging into one area until it's done
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

I'm not saying I want specifics, but there's a couple puzzles that I'm just stuck on and I'm just gonna list them here and maybe I'll go back to it?

-I have a couple tetris block puzzles. I get what to do with these when they're at the sides but I can't figure out how to get anything in the middle to line up. From what I understand

if they're on the sides you can just draw it so you make the pattern and the sides close it off. I don't get how you "close them" in the middle and I know this is a me problem in that I'm missing something. I even did the short tutorial one that's just a single square and a it's a single square puzzle but I don't get it

-There's a town with a couple puzzles that have things I've seen before but they don't match up - I guess this is the remix area. One has star symbols on it and

I know from previous puzzles you gotta pair up 2 of a color, but this one has 3 of each color and I haven't experimented with it

and also there's some other puzzle there that I forget what it does and another that I don't think does anything but give you an opening with a secret but it also has tetris blocks on it

-There's a blue puzzle on a gate door near a boathouse. It's got some hexagons on it but I haven't found these hexagons anywhere else so I don't know what to do with them

-There's another blue puzzle somewhere. it's got the double lines or whatever but otherwise no distinguishing marks on it anywhere. Not sure what I'm missing

Actually there's several puzzles I've found that just don't seem to have anything on them? One's in some sand, one's in an orange area that looks like it's supposed to be a tutorial but I don't get it. There's a ting that plays when I look at one and I've heard that some puzzles use audio cues but if that's this one I don't know what a single ting is supposed to indicate. Oh and there's another diamond shaped puzzle near some gate that I was brute forcing. I solved like half of it but even knowing the solution I didn't get it

E: And looking at what I had available I did find some area where you're supposed to do something with colors and I am pretty sure I know what I need to block off with this one but I can't figure it out so it doesn't count. Even that's frustrating so I still say this game isn't for me

KobaBeach
ark, whomst is a lad

Post by KobaBeach »

Ugh fuck.

I beat Bahamut Lagoon and. What can I say, it's. Very disappointing.

The writing is basically
KobaBeach wrote: 1 week ago The characters are all one-note jokes, a lot of the times i can barely destinguish one from the other. Don Juan is the worst video game character I have ever seen his entire existence is sexism. That's my biggest issue with the game. I could excuse the simplicity if the writing was charming, but even with Near's translation patch, it's just, Working Designs trying to write a JRPG. The jokes all feel like they come from a place of contempt and spite, even Sendak, the resident gay character who I like a lot, is mostly written as a joke. Don Juan, as I said, is just a pick up artist, an unlikable Johnny Bravo. The only scenes I could feel any sort of emotion from was the scenes with Celine and Taicho and the flash back with Hornet and

Sauthar

To put it simply. Earthbound's jokes feel like classic The Simpsons, there's heart and a bit of honesty. Bahamut Lagoon's feels like post-cancellation Family Guy or the entirety of South Park, nothing but spite and contempt.

There's a literal censored sex scene after breaking up a harem, with the harem members, where the characters "become men" as a joke. Like. That is just vile. Every character bounces off of each other in a basis of spite and disrespect. I don't want to sound like Mr. Enter here, just. It feels like it follows Doug Walker's bullshit rule of "comedy can only come from misery". I actively dislike playing this game, not in a way where it felt bad to play like Hydlide, but in a way where it psychologically hurt to play, it's like something written by a right wing RPG Maker author. I've only seen writing this cruel in like. The English language Lunar: The Silver Star, with its ableist jokes, people constantly shit talking each other (i hate english!nall), Kyle being fucking disgusting and sexist as a joke, the moment of a textbox in the thief town being of a thief selling Mia and Jessica's underwear and sheets or whatever?????????
The gameplay is either sic dragons on the enemy to whittle down their forces, then zerg rush them. Or near the end, Bahamut the main targets then zerg rush the boss. It's really sad because it has a lot of heart and passion in it but it just feels so under utilized. I feel that if you could more accurately strategize with the dragons, and they were made less easy to make OP, as well as the battles feeling more well thought out than a series of enemies spread about to hinder the player, would elevate this game to greatness. But one thing I'd really ask for an improved Bahamut Lagoon is just. Better humor.

I cannot in my right mind enjoy this game when it has scenes like the harem scene, making the idea of "getting friendzoned" a constant joke in the game, the way Don Juan is written (just look at Johnny Bravo for this type of character done right), and so on. I refuse.

who cares:

Ashan
The world has become a place

Post by Ashan »

Argumentable wrote: 1 day agostuff
If you've found a puzzle that threw in a new icon you've never seen before, it probably means you just need to keep exploring. I believe every puzzle type has an area where the puzzle is introduced in its most basic form that should teach you what the different icons mean.

To point you in the right direction with the tetris puzzles,

the area containing the pieces just need to be able to fit the tetris pieces within them. It's kinda hard to explain through text, but the square with the block in it doesn't necessarily need to have that tetris piece in particular encapsulating it; if the area contains 2 tetris pieces, you can fit the pieces together in whatever way works to have both pieces in the contained area, and in a way that would fit both shapes together, but nothing more and nothing less.

Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Ashan wrote: 1 day ago
Argumentable wrote: 1 day agostuff
If you've found a puzzle that threw in a new icon you've never seen before, it probably means you just need to keep exploring. I believe every puzzle type has an area where the puzzle is introduced in its most basic form that should teach you what the different icons mean.

To point you in the right direction with the tetris puzzles,

the area containing the pieces just need to be able to fit the tetris pieces within them. It's kinda hard to explain through text, but the square with the block in it doesn't necessarily need to have that tetris piece in particular encapsulating it; if the area contains 2 tetris pieces, you can fit the pieces together in whatever way works to have both pieces in the contained area, and in a way that would fit both shapes together, but nothing more and nothing less.

Yeah, but I got no sense of direction in this game and just end up wandering into the same areas. I could probably find these things eventually. Also, I feel like I've tried what you're describing and several variations but it just ain't working out. Maybe I'll throw a screenshot on twitter or just look up a solution for one of the ones I'm looking at

NastCF

Post by NastCF »

Just finished Tadpole Tales, a free, about 10 minutes long shmup on Steam. It's adorable, gorgeously crafted and pretty fun, if a bit slow.
Cyril
metal nerd

Post by Cyril »

my switch is seeing a lot of love atm

been playing thru digimon cybersleuth hacker's memory which is just the b-side plot to the first game's a-side plot and it's
well it's still enjoyable but boy howdy does it feel like a b-side, not even a lot of unique maps to this one & i'm not sure i'm a huge fan of the new mechanics or battle types but i guess the story's pretty solid so far regardless. i feel like i'm gonna blow through this one a lot faster though since i don't really have the patience for all the side-stuff

also started crash 4, the switch port seems pretty solid! the game is hard. the levels are long. platinum relics are apparently required for 106% completion so i'm not doing that but i do want to get at least one relic per level. anyways it's more crash bandicoot and it's fun
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

I clicked through 20 seconds or so of a tips video now I've doubled my puzzles solved in the witness and completed 2 areas. I also spent 30 minutes in a basement raising and lowering water trying to figure out where the hell I'm supposed to stand and gave up. I completed "The Keep" according to my achievements but I really wanna know how you're supposed to finish this one tetris block puzzle in it. I know how to do tetris blocks now, though. I managed to find my way into the actual tutorial for the place and not some random back door - working on the area now. The other place was the orangey forest area and I swear something just wasn't loaded right the first time I was there because what you're supposed to do is so obvious and I blew through it in a couple minutes.

-I gave up on the dig site because of what I said above
-I gave up on the greenhouse because I don't think I really understand it still but I made it to the elevator
-No idea what I'm supposed to be doing in the asian building looking area with the tree
-Still can't open the door with the hexagons and the blue puzzle (I really have a feeling I'm supposed to know what this is)
-I made it to the ship once and left but I have no idea how I got there in the first place or how to get back
-I hate the town in the center it makes no sense to me and I keep ending up back there.

I might actually make it through and beat it, though. I just really would like there to be a teleport feature or for rotating platforms to be like 500% faster just let me get to the puzzles now

HatKid
Pronouns: she/her

Post by HatKid »

I've been playing Super Robot Wars V on my PS Vita - I've gotten a lot of amusement from replacing the songs with my own music/superior versions of in game music, like I have the SRW D version of HEATS set instead of the instrumental version of the actual OP. This is the reason to play the PS4/Vita versions over the Switch and especially Steam versions lolol. Ok, for the game itself, it's been pretty fun but it is a lot easier than older entries. I don't think that's inherently bad, as there's some nice features to make things a little smoother. Also unsurprisingly got introduced (and spoiled, but that's really unavoidable unless I wanted to actually not play the game) to some mecha animes that I want to watch at some point and are thankfully not Mazinger Z length so that's cooool. The design of the female main character is a little annoying, basically just "Look! Big Boobies!" but that's unfortunately pretty standard for SRW.

Also tried out Atelier Sophie. Never played any of these games before so it was a new experience. I'm interested, but it seems like it'll get really complicated...

EDIT: Managed to totally forget I also am at the end of Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia. I am very ready to be done with this game. The difficulty feels very cheap with enemies and especially bosses taking out huge chunks of your health while you do very little damage. I managed to inch my way through over a course of a few years because my motivation to play has been very sporadic. I wanted to finish both the Training Hall and Large Cavern before tring to fight Dracula, I did the training hall a few times, but I've gotten pretty close to finishing the Large Cavern bfire I get destroyed because two hits from some of the enemies there do over 300 damage each. The music is really good at least.
Cyril
metal nerd

Post by Cyril »

Argumentable wrote: 8 hours ago I might actually make it through and beat it, though. I just really would like there to be a teleport feature or for rotating platforms to be like 500% faster just let me get to the puzzles now
on one hand there is A Reason they aren't but also yeah they can get kinda tedious
NastCF

Post by NastCF »

About 7 hours into Shantae: Risky's Revenge. I'm not sure how much there is left but judging by the size of the world and how much of it I've been to, I'm probably gonna be done pretty soon. I wish I could say I'm having a great time but, man, something about the experience really irritates me. I think it's the abundance of mandatory backtracking compounded by the lack of quick movement or fast travel options, that makes going through the world feel like such a slog sometimes. There are fast travel options btw, like these warp statues, but all of them warp you just a bit farther than you'd like from where you'd want to go, so some backtracking is always required. And then there's mandatory fetch quests too, which is just ughh. A whole lot of wasting the player's time. It's too bad because otherwise, I mean, it's not super remarkable but it's still pretty alright.