2020 Mosts voting is now closed! Stay tuned for results and userbars!

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Alice »

A friend randomly decided to pick up Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet and then randomly decided to get me the game thinking I'd like it despite not having watched SA:O. Wasn't a bad choice. I've only played a few hours but I enjoyed what I've played. Biggest complaints are just that the controls are a bit unintuitive (though I think that's actually pretty unavoidable) and that the camera is WAY too sensitive. Or rather I think camera settings might be broken or something. I have them set at the minimum possible value and it seems to be no different than default. Which unfortunately makes the aim button borderline useless because it's too squirrelly to control but it doesn't seem to be too important at least.
raekuul
D&C 134:2
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

I had 21 demos registered in ASMT when I beat "I Need to Breathe". Most of those were from Water, Water Everywhere.

I have 55 demos registered now in ASMT and I'm still at The Worm's Cave (the very next level). Kinda makes me glad that future projects placed levels in the worlds by difficulty instead of being pre-claimed map slots, the difficulty curve in ASMT is more like a difficulty ASMTote
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021
And now to reveal my rejected names: Darth Vader's Tough Savannah Mansion in Canada's Chapter
KobaBeach
TAke a look, y'all: IMG_4346.jpeg
First name: David
Pronouns: he/they

Post by KobaBeach »

ugh going to liukan's island in suikoden and im gay and on fire. 46 recruited, still have to get sheena, gaspar and lorelai, need to grind kirkis to get rubi.
raekuul wrote: 1 week ago I have 55 demos registered now in ASMT and I'm still at The Worm's Cave (the very next level). Kinda makes me glad that future projects placed levels in the worlds by difficulty instead of being pre-claimed map slots, the difficulty curve in ASMT is more like a difficulty ASMTote
lowkey why i don't like asmt as much as the jp collabs or the jump team quinceañeras, even vip2. still like it more than smwcp

i still need to play kochobo dourado and the sequel once that gets complete, im not very interested in a lot of the smwc stuff other than that smw dlc thing but that's more or less deader than dead iirc (or it got released? i forget), vldc compilations are nice but sturgeon's law so playing through them 100% doesn't feel good for me
avatar previously by kuma, now from legend of heroes prophecy of the moonlight witch (win 9x version)

who cares:

:pan_pride:
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 week agosuikoden
I've only seen this game but what I've seen of it I've loved it
I have 55 demos registered now in ASMT and I'm still at The Worm's Cave (the very next level). Kinda makes me glad that future projects placed levels in the worlds by difficulty instead of being pre-claimed map slots, the difficulty curve in ASMT is more like a difficulty ASMTote
lowkey why i don't like asmt as much as the jp collabs or the jump team quinceañeras, even vip2. still like it more than smwcp
120 demos now and I'm still at this stage. I think I may break down and use save states - bridge building over lava when you have a smaller platform than the bridge you're making is generally not world 1 difficulty, and that's before having to dodge blaargs yellow submarines giant worms. It does not help that somehow 3ds vc feels more prone to drop inputs than I'm used to (seriously a full quarter of my deaths in The Worms' Cave is just from 'the jump didn't jump')
i still need to play kochobo dourado and the sequel once that gets complete, im not very interested in a lot of the smwc stuff other than that smw dlc thing but that's more or less deader than dead iirc (or it got released? i forget), vldc compilations are nice but sturgeon's law so playing through them 100% doesn't feel good for me
not gonna lie, I'm not a big fan of smw in general. smbx/thextech is where it's at for me (and not just because I have an easier time grokking the editor)
And now to reveal my rejected names: Darth Vader's Tough Savannah Mansion in Canada's Chapter
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Recently played Night in the Woods.
There's a lot I like about the game. The dialogue's great and sometimes thought provoking. It has lovely atmosphere. The music's pretty good, I especially like the main menu theme. I really like the way the characters move.
However the ending through me off. The conclusion feels more like a second part climax rather than the conclusion to a story. The player does not see enough of the fall out of the story's final act. There are arcs that feel as though they weren't complete.
There were details that felt like they should have been going some where but didn't, and while some of that works with the story, other time it doesn't, for instance
Pumpkin head guy works well being a one off weird thing, the weird teens don't really need an explanation, but the tattoo on the disembodied arm seems like it should go somewhere, especially since the game makes a deal out of it.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Recently, I finished warpless runs of Super Mario Bros 2 and 3 (SNES).
My lukewarm take is that while SMB3 has the world map, more power ups and in general more stuff going on, the level design in SMB2 holds up a lot more.
Even with more defined world themes, SMB3 levels feel like 50 second affairs' with half a gimmick; some of the later levels (especially the second half of world 7) feel like early SMW rom hacks.
SMB2 has longer levels with more going on in them, and some even have unique and memorable set pieces.
Cyril
metal nerd
First name: Cyril
Pronouns: he/she/they

Post by Cyril »

6-7 hard is ridiculous (tbh 6-7 normal is ridiculous too just, not as much) omg...

good game tho. i have gripes with it but the overall experience was enjoyment
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
NastCF

Post by NastCF »

I recently got done with Yume 2kki, having acquired every single effect and seen all but one of the 4 endings. Unfortunately, even though I managed to get 31 of 35 effects on my own, the month-long playthrough left me kinda fatigued and I ended up looking up the last four so I could get the game over with. Like, this game's really, really big! I tried to take notes of where I'd been and which places I might have to return to, and that kept me from getting lost and frustrated which helped me immensely. Still, I was afraid of the possibility that I might have to keep searching for another month, so I chose to cut it there while my opinion of the game was still high rather than continue and get seriously burnt out. Maybe I'll get back to it in the future if there's ever a finalised version.

I'm a couple hours into Wonder Boy in Monster World. I've had some exposure to the series as a kid via some of the Master System games (the brazillian Mônica versions anyway) but this is my first serious playthrough. It's really simplistic, maybe too much so when some of the levels are linear corridors with the same enemies on repeat. But it plays well and is really cute, which is all you really need sometimes. I'm really enjoying it as a breezy romp. Not that it doesn't get challenging, too.

Speaking of challenging I finally beat Castle of Illusion on Hard mode. I appreciate there being a bit of substance to it as it adds more enemies, takes away some powerups and increases boss health, rather than just reducing your lives and calling it a day. But it still does reduce your starting health and takes away all continues, which is really what made it take so long to accomplish. That and bats, lol

And I started Super Mario RPG a few days go. Never beat it before, and I'm using the chance to play it in Japanese for practice. I'm too early in to comment on the game but I will say, why the fuck is the word ゴッチンコ completely absent from dictionaries, took me all afternoon to figure that one out
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

I'm coming up on Totem Wishiwashi in Pokemon Ultra Sun. I was putting this playthrough off for several months (at least partly out of burnout from playing basically all my pokemon games in sequence over the past year) but then I got a switch and now I want to finish catching Alolan pokemon before getting Pokemon Shield.

I'm also up to Catfish's Maw in Link's Awakening HD. It's too bad they didn't name it Link's Awakening NX, the word "Lanx" is fun to say. Lanx lanx lanx. (I'm ashamed to admit that I had to look up how to get to the ghost's grave - I remembered that there's an access grave in the graveyard but forgot that there's a liftable rock over by the witch's hut)

I also just rescued Yukiko in Persona 4 Golden. Holy hell is this game a lot easier to play compared to the PS2 version, even if I'm drowning in options now.

Taking a short break from ASMT and what the hell for a bit. Probably going to ditch my "no suspend points" rule in ASMT just for my sanity's sake - the save points aren't after hard levels, but before - getting a game over in the world 2 ghost house is not fun when I have to beat my head against "The Cave Where The Crystals Are" again and again just to get one shot at the following stage. (At least with what the hell I know what I signed up for. In ASMT it's just ridiculous.)
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

raekuul wrote: 6 days ago I'm also up to Catfish's Maw in Link's Awakening HD. It's too bad they didn't name it Link's Awakening NX, the word "Lanx" is fun to say. Lanx lanx lanx. (I'm ashamed to admit that I had to look up how to get to the ghost's grave - I remembered that there's an access grave in the graveyard but forgot that there's a liftable rock over by the witch's hut)
I wouldn't even call it "HD" because, even though it plays very similarly, it's quite a different game from the original. We're talking five console/handheld generations apart. At least with WW and TP, the HD makes sense because it's about 1-2 generations apart and was mostly a minor graphics update?

Anyway...Started Bully after sitting on it for several months. It's an interesting take on the GTA formula so far. Playing the Wii version is kind of interesting in that Rockstar actually did an okay job implementing motion controls (which, given Rockstar's relationship with Nintendo, is rather impressive). Having grown up in New England, I have some faint vibes of school life from that time (though I never went to private/boarding school. I knew kids growing up who did though). Haven't delved too deep yet, kind of juggling multiple games at the moment.

Similarly, started Hypnospace Outlaw after finding out it was on Game Pass, though I haven't completed my first case yet. I'm liking the late 1990s vibes, but also this sort of weird idea that feels like it came from a local art scene in Baltimore, Athens, or Providence in the same time period.

Finally, halfway through the What The Golf? main campaign. It's such a fun weird game, and the tributes are great (especially Superhot). That said, I'm grateful I can easily switch between mouse and controller, because some levels really benefit from one over the other.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat Suikoden again at like 7 AM. Sadly did not get all 108 characters due to recruiting Sonya too late (

forgot to talk to her in the prison as soon as I left Shasarazade

).

Currently doing PSX FF1, at Marsh Cave.
avatar previously by kuma, now from legend of heroes prophecy of the moonlight witch (win 9x version)

who cares:

Bean

Post by Bean »

I thought A Hat in Time was just going to be this funny little Super Mario Sunshine knockoff, and while it's clear that's what a lot of the game's platforming was inspired by, I love how they've mixed things up. The murder mystery level stood out, and they even made me begrudgingly like a play it straight haunted level, probably because it was toned down in size and scope.

That said, The Windmill is some of the best pure platforming I've had in a 3D game since Super Mario Odyssey. I'm at 34/40 of the Time Pieces and should finish the game up either tonight or tomorrow. Just have a few missions left in Chapter 3 and then what I'd expect is the final boss. Feels like this could've been bigger, but I'm also glad it's not going to overstay its welcome. It's one of those games that has its flaws (frame rate hiccups, load times for the Switch version) but charms itself out of them by actually playing well once things are rolling. It's not perfect, but it's really good.

And that also let me watch raocow's LP in spots and finally understand what the heck :catcrime: is all about.
Ashan
The world has become a place

Post by Ashan »

Finally getting around to playing my first game this year. Back on Black Friday there were some elusive first party Nintendo game sales, and I picked up Link's Awakening and Luigi's Mansion 3. But I was distracted with other games, so they've sat unopened on my shelf since then. But no longer -- I have finally cracked into Link's Awakening, and put a few hours in. I've been having a pretty good time so far. I had previously played the original (or maybe it was DX?) on 3DS Virtual Console, but that was so long ago I remember almost nothing about the game at this point. I just finished the second dungeon, but I've been kinda taking my time exploring and stumbling across heart pieces.

Framerate is not impressing me though! I was pretty horrified when I stepped out of Marin and Tarin's house and immediately watched the framerate tank. Like, of any scene to make sure is running well in the entire game, maybe the very first one where the player is in control in the overworld would be a good one to do. And it's a running issue in seemingly most of the overworld. They were clearly aiming for 60fps but couldn't hit it, and the end result looks pretty rough. And it's weird because Mario Odyssey somehow maintains 60fps and I'd say that game looks much more intensive than anything going on here. Also, on the topic of visuals, the tilt-shift effect with the top and bottom of the screen blurred looks decent for a trailer, but when you're actually trying to play the game it's just annoying. Why can't I see stuff at the top and bottom of the screen? The effect is not impressive-looking enough for the gameplay tradeoff. At least add an option to disable it.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Grinding a few levels before moving on to the Earth Cave in Final Fantasy I PSX.

who cares:

Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 days ago Grinding a few levels before moving on to the Earth Cave in Final Fantasy I PSX.
How does the PSX version compare to the Dawn of Souls port for GBA or PSP?
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
GenesisJames
#1 LE and Hwasa Simp

Post by GenesisJames »

I've been playing an indie shmup game called Danmakai recently. I just 1cc'd it on normal today; it's really fun and, while clearly taking inspiration from Touhou (it takes place in Makai, I mean come on lol), it's really charming on its own. I would say it's a bit harder than Touhou overall, since it took me longer to 1cc this than it did most Touhou games, though I might just be rusty lmao. It has a "rank" system where, even on lower difficulties, the better you do, the harder the game becomes. The difficulties have a range because of this; normal, for instance, goes from 4-10 depending on how well you're doing.
The final boss also might be one of my favorite shmup final bosses. She's also like 70% of the game's difficulty. She has a spell called "Glasya-Labolas" that's super fun. There's also a few completely new spells for the bosses if you're one of those guys that plays on Lunatic. The game as a whole has some fun references to even the PC-98 Touhou games which is cool to see. I'm working on the extra stage on and off. It doesn't seem TOO bad, but definitely pushing my skill limits lmao. Give it a shot if you like the genre, but if you're new it might be a bit hard!!
Last edited by GenesisJames 3 days ago, edited 1 time in total.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Awoo wrote: 3 days ago
KobaBeach wrote: 3 days ago Grinding a few levels before moving on to the Earth Cave in Final Fantasy I PSX.
How does the PSX version compare to the Dawn of Souls port for GBA or PSP?
It's a mix of the GBA (improved graphics) and NES versions (Vancian magic, oldschool difficulty) with Boss HP levels also between those two. It also has an Easy mode if you want a less limiting version of the Vancian Magic system and faster level ups. I'm using the normal difficulty though. It's okay, but I honestly don't like the translation, being too used to the GBA standardization and the NES' surprisingly decent attempt respectively. Pravoca? Fuck that shit.

who cares:

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Made it past Marilith in Final Fantasy I, but Ice Cavern seems far harder than the NES version, so I'm gonna grind an extra five levels. It's a bit of a headache, so I grinded one level for now and will do a bit more on the Peninsula of Power later. Honestly not really enjoying the extra amount of difficulty? I dunno, it feels harder than NES.

Anyway yesterday I was doing art study on SAI (might purchase Clip Studio Paint sometime tbh) with some furry art, and I got mad tired (during the tracing portion no less, that's sad. i always do a trace first to study why lines are laid out as well as shapes, then try to recreate with my own skill by using the colorless trace and original pic as references and a blank canvas). I felt like playing some video games and I honestly was pondering booting up the Windows version of Legend of Heroes III but I'm a bit anal about progressing on the english PSP version first, and starting another game, well, I was worried about starting yet another videogame on top of all the ones I had and it was just kinda stressful, that I ended up falling asleep out of tiredness for the night, only slept like 6 hours before this so.

But anyway after a bit of FF1 this morning, I downloaded Summon Night through PKGj and I've made it past the prologue chapter (mostly exposition and one battle against two bandit mooks meant to represent Edos and Gazel). Picked Hayato as my protag, you may have seen him in Swordcraft Story during the volcano area portion, but I think it depends on which summon you have as your partner, I went with Pratty as my protag, with Sugar as my partner for Lesbian% but I think I got Hayato? Or Aya or Natsumi, not sure. Definitely not Touya. SN1 is particular amongst Summon Night games in that instead of having a male and female protagonist to choose from, you have two of each from which you can pick one. It's silly. If I played my cards right in the prologue options, I might get Kir as my partner?

Pretty sure fans of SamoNai like to ship Kir x Hayato lol. Sadly I don't think there is a gay route in either the PSX or DS versions, but one of the Black/Matrix games, also by Flight Plan, does have a secret gay route added especially for yaoi fangirls. I'm more of a bara dude, but respectable queer rep is always a plus, not that I know if B/M's rep is positive or not, haven't played the trilogy yet.

who cares:

thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

So, updates-ish?
-Finished all but one crown in What The Golf?. Also finished both side campaigns (Sporty Sports and It's Snowtime!). Problem is, that crown is the worst: It's the save the crab friends in Lab 02. It requires being both fast and precise on the mouse, and that basically runs face first into my disability. I might try to get my friend to get the last crown for me or something.
-Hypnospace Outlaw, I'm on Day "2" (November 26). It's very weird and fun, though sometimes I feel like I'm running in circles in the game trying to find what I'm supposed to. (Also, Gumshoe Gooper sucks!)
-Bully, I'm still in Chapter 1. I want to clear as much of the preliminary classes as possible, so I don't have to worry about them later (think of it in GTA3 terms). Problem is, the motion controls get super finicky on two classes (Music and Biology). Biology less so, but Music is kind of a pain in the ass with guessing the precise point to move the controller.

Hollow Knight I poked at a little bit, but with What the Golf? all but out of the picture, I'll be moving to that next.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
GenesisJames
#1 LE and Hwasa Simp

Post by GenesisJames »

Been playing two big games recently: Cyberpunk 2077 and Yakuza: Like A Dragon. Initial thoughts below!

Cyberpunk's an interesting case. I'm having fun with it so far, and I don't think it's nearly as bad as a lot of people are saying it is, though I'm playing on PC and am aware that it... really shouldn'ty have been released on consoles at all. At least not until the PS5 and New Xbox™. It IS glitchy, but I haven't had any game-breaking bugs. It DID crash on me a few times though, but weirdly it was only in one part of the map on one particular mission, so once I went a different way there were no problems at all. As for the game itself, I SUCK at FPS games, so maybe it's just me, but I find the game sorta difficult even on normal mode, but I'm powering through since I refuse to play on easy lmao. Sniper rifles are my favorite weapons, so once I figured out how to aim down the scope (Right click! Who Knew?), it's been much smoother sailing. Voice acting is solid, game looks beautiful so far, and I really like the established world and lore. The game controls well aside from driving; you get used to it, but it's awkward. The world itself is HUGE and I get a bit overwhelmed with so much stuff all at once, but it has a bit of GTA syndrome where a lot of stuff isn't really interactable. The main story itself is pretty interesting, but I'm not far enough in to really have an opinion on it yet. There's some patches coming up in late January and February that apparently fix a lot of things, so if you're still unsure about getting it, maybe hold off until then so you make sure you're playing it when it's really polished (should've been from the start, but oh well). Judy is also my wife.

I've been having a lot of fun with Yakuza: Like A Dragon. If you follow the series, you know that this one deviates from the formula a bit, turning the brawler/beat-em-up gameplay into an RPG. It's a pretty interactable RPG though, as your environment really affects your strategies at times. It seems like a weird hybrid of Octopath Traveler and Yakuza mechanics; it's more natural than you'd think. The characters are super fun as always and the story (up to where I am so far, at least) seems to be up to par with RGG's modern Yakuza stories. It's a bit more exaggerated/over the top since it comes with RPG elements, but the series isn't always the most realistic thing, so it's not really a big deal. The only thing I'm kinda underwhelmed with so far is the music. It's not bad by any means, but there really hasn't been a standout track so far,which in the other games, I'd have like at least five by now, haha. I might just have to get used to it, though. Any fan of the series should definitely check it out; it's a lot deeper than it looks.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Coming up on Olivia's Grand Trial in Pokémon Ultra Sun. I'm... actually starting to get annoyed with the Ultra Rotomdex talking at me basically once every 90 seconds. Probably the most annoying thing about the Ultra Rotomdex is that they prompts me to save as an occasional reminder... except that it's based on elapsed real-time between saves and not game time (meaning I'll save, close the 3ds, come back a couple hours later, open back up, and have Ultra Rotomdex tell me I should save again). Though Roto-Loto is neat and occasionally getting a second shot at Z-Moves is... kind of frighteningly powerful, I'd rather not have Omochao.

I'm getting (marginally) better at Super Mario 35 - I got to the Top 5 without really noticing this morning, and finished 3rd. I'm going to miss this game in April.

I'm still plugging away at Link's Awakening NX. I'm halfway through Eagle's Tower right now (oy that midboss is far more frustrating now than in the original, which I suppose is an improvement since he's a cakewalk without one very specific change to the fight), and at 29 secret seashells.

are there seriously fifty secret seashells now what the hell
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Yeeeep. And what's funny is

you don't get the Koholint Sword with all 50, that's a lower-ranked prize

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean

Post by Bean »

Beat A Hat in Time last week, so I'm keeping the platforming trend going now by moving right on to Shantae and the Seven Sirens. Way too early for me to make any critiques on it. I just literally got through the first mission, but it's definitely going to be more of a Metroid-style game than Half Genie Hero was.