smbx communitypge projectsmw central

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast
First name: David
Pronouns: he/him

Re: What games are you playing?

Postby KobaBeach » 2 weeks ago

Beat Super Mario Galaxy with 61 stars. Banger game, but the disorienting physics, imprecise controls and lack of proper camera control kind of made some parts a bit annoying. Will get the remaining stars later on. Started Super Mario Sunshine again, at 5 shines. Had enough when I yeeted to the bottom of Bianco Hills during the second Petey battle, started laughing my ass off. Compared to playing on an emulator, I like the analog control a stick gives me.

Might continue FF1.

NastCF

Postby NastCF » 2 weeks ago

Replayed a bit of Spark the Electric Jester today. I think it left a bad taste when I first played it last year, but it's more fun than I usually give it credit for. It's got some pretty fun level mechanics and powerups (I tend to prefer the ones that enhance your mobility), a good sense of speed and large multi-tiered levels, not to mention an absolutely phenomenal soundtrack. Still, most levels go on for too long and there's not enough going on in them to justify the length. Sometimes you'll have big empty stretches of level with no enemies or obstacles, where nothing happens, and I just zone out. Also there's a serious lack of polish overall, with glitches that range from 'music stops looping when you pause' to 'inexplicably lose one of your powers when you respawn in a boss fight'.

Also wrapped up the challenge mode in God of War II. Don't really recommend it - all the challenges boil down to 'fight a bunch of dudes but fulfill X condition', and they're wildly inconsistent in difficulty. I don't know why the very second challenge is the hardest one by far.

Tomorrow I'm starting Baba Is You so I'll finally have nice things to say about a video game instead of being a negative nancy all the time jeez!

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Postby Alice » 2 weeks ago

Finished chapter 4 of my replay of Danganronpa. It's easily one of the best chapters in the entire game but I forgot how short it is compared to the others. In the same length of play session I managed to go from the start of chapter 4 all the way up to the beginning of chapter 5's investigation.

Although now I'm not sure if I should replay Ultra Despair Girls afterward or DR2 then UDG. Ultra Despair Girls was actually surprisingly good but it's more of an action game without the investigation and class trial elements that make the franchise so interesting. Though its story and characters are still interesting.

Ashan
The world has become a place

Postby Ashan » 2 weeks ago

In keeping the theme of Jonathan Blow games, I've put a few hours into The Witness, and it's pretty damn fun! It teaches you how to play 100% intuitively and has some really clever puzzles all based around a very simple mechanic.

NastCF

Postby NastCF » 2 weeks ago

Been playing Baba Is You here and there. Just cleared the Lake area, and I'm already in love. I streamed it for a friend and we worked together to solve some of the more tricky puzzles and had a great ol' time. I fully expect the later levels to completely wreck my brain, but I'm looking forward to it.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Postby KobaBeach » 2 weeks ago

Started Kingdom Hearts Final Mix yesterday for the fourth time, possibly the third time I'm beating it? Just finished Phil Cup, Traverse Town and Agrabah for today, and started Hundred Acre Wood. Also at Sunken Shrine in Final Fantasy.

Enjl

Postby Enjl » 1 week ago

Just beat Fe, a pretty beautiful stealthy 3d platformer. The downside of having to get an Origin account was definitely worth the playthrough. The atmosphere and huge creatures are incredible, and I especially love the shmoovement potential when you get the glide.

Ashan

Postby Ashan » 1 week ago

Finished off The Witness. Took about 21 hours in the end. Last night I got really stumped by a puzzle and spent all night thinking about it, and upon reattempting it this morning I managed to solve it in a few minutes.

thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Postby thatguyif » 1 week ago

Finished up most of the Untitled Goose Game postgame co-op with my friend. It was fun. All that's left are the

time attacks

, then we're done.

Started playing Outer Wilds recently. It's actually a lot of fun, just being able to poke around stuff to see where things lead. Unfortunately, because it's a space game, I can't play it all that often because I will otherwise fail to fall asleep (and I struggle to get work done when I haven't had enough sleep). Makes it unfortunate.

I might start something new tonight or this week to just keep moving along and make Outer Wilds a weekend game, but I'm not sure what game to start playing at this point. Starlink I could restart, but it's also a space game. Talked to a friend, he suggested either Shinsekai or Bioshock. The latter might be more appealing at this point, and could be done over the week.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

raekuul
D&C 134:2
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby raekuul » 1 week ago

I'm up to Pearls in the Deep on Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift. This mission is the main reason why I'm not playing this one constantly. At least with Advance the totema missions were fair. This mission is just... stupid.
Obviously raocow should play (insert obscure game that never got translated and that maybe ten people have played).
And now to reveal my rejected names: Darth Vader's Tough Savannah Mansion in Canada's Chapter

Cyril
metal nerd
First name: Cyril
Pronouns: he/she/they

Postby Cyril » 5 days ago

been reading steins;gate zero... it's aight. i understand what it's going for but the plot just seems like a mishmash of different plot threads that get picked up or dropped at random and it doesn't really feel like it's building to any point or big climax. i assume there are multiple endings & stuff but i'm not fully sure how it works in this one yet, i haven't seen an ending yet either so
i've honestly never played a video game in my life

HatKid
Pronouns: she/her

Postby HatKid » 5 days ago

Steins;Gate 0 is one of the weaker Science Adventure VNs. What route you get is based on

whether you answer the phone or not at specific points in the story

. It's kinda dumb, but not as stupid as Robotics;Notes's route structure.

Speaking of SciAdv, I finished Robotics;Note DaSH. It took its sweet time to get good, but at least when it did, it got pretty good. Hopefully there will be no more distractions so I can finish Yakuza Kiwami 2, which I started a few weeks ago but thing keep happening that prevent me from playing it.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Postby KobaBeach » 5 days ago

Over the past week or so, I started Monstro in Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, finished the quests in the Lands of Lord British and Lands of the Feudal Lords in Ultima I after grinding to near max stats in the signposts and the Castle of Lord British quest (half the quests increase your strength) because yolo, started Final Fantasy I PSX's Easy Mode in my therapist's waiting room this monday, and went from Cornelia to Melmond in roughly 2 hours (Normal Mode/NES grind was too much) today, made it to Long Valley in Tales of Phantasia SNES, and went through The 7th Saga, starting the Japanese version after the grind got too much; just have the Wizard Rune (神のアーク) left.

Also at 2-1: あみーご さばく (Amigo Desert) in Bonk's Adventure (PC Genjin but w/e), スタープラチナとつきすすめ2's secret exit in VIP5 and あくまのもり in 8 Powers, got to 8-2 in Mario Maker 3DS' Super Mario Challenge, and sometimes I boot up Mario Maker 2 to play online stages, but I'm too lazy to 100% story mode or work on my own. 😔

EDIT: Made it to 4-1: ひろびろ さばく (The Great Desert) in Bonk's Adventure. :)

Ashan

Postby Ashan » 4 days ago

Been playing Return of the Obra Dinn. You basically just walk around a ship and piece together a story and it's pretty fun!

Practical
nyā (にゃー)
First name: Jaymie
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Practical » 4 days ago

trying to learn aerial dribbling and other moves in rocket league. I'm currently silver rank in competitive, at the 103 XP level, but I just got the game a couple months ago and the Nintendo Switch for my birthday in September, so I've got a long way to go. I've also been playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, not as much recently though because I completed all of the modes with a three-star rating. I've been playing NSMBU Deluxe and NSLU as well. I haven't gotten all of the star coins in either, but I beat the final boss in both. I was finally able to complete Yoshi's Crafted World. 317 flowers seemed like too much at first, but then I decided to do one thing at a time instead of all at once, like looking for souvenirs, poochy pups and beating the levels with full health last, and collecting all of the red coins, and getting 100 coins and all of the in-level flowers first, and I was done before I knew it.
https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/ ... le&u=12736
"You know what they say, all toasters toast toast!"
:lesbian_pride: :kood: yes I'm a lesbian

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Postby KobaBeach » 4 days ago

I just got out of the Pleasing Gardens in Wild ARMs, 7h21m
My entire strategy now for bosses is spam Meteor Dive, Valkyrie and Hand Cannon
I saved earlier in the Ship Graveyard and I'm like h

I also continued Dragon Slayer VI: Legend of Heroes on the PC98 and I'm at Chapter 3
There was a point where I just let the game sit there grinding with the auto battle and random encounters that stalk you like in 7th Saga to rake up gold

im going to bed

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Postby KobaBeach » 3 days ago

Made it past Lich and Marilith in Final Fantasy and got the Airship. Easy Mode though.

thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Postby thatguyif » 2 days ago

So I decided on Bioshock. First playthrough since buying it when it was released in 2007, so about 13 years? Been going through the Remastered Version, probably slower than most, but I like exploring and mucking around. About to enter Apollo Square, definitely on the last 25% of the game. Will probably play the Challenge Rooms when I finish, which may be either tomorrow or Monday. I got a 5 day weekend next week, which I'll dedicate a chunk to playing Outer Wilds.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

raekuul
D&C 134:2
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby raekuul » 2 days ago

I'm coming up on the second Khamja battle in FFTA2. I've been actively dragging my feet on this one, as I've made Adelle into a Parivir/Fighter and since I briefly lose Adelle for a couple story beats I'll want to do them back-to-back... which means no other sidequests during that time.

I've also been playing Trickster Online again this past month due to an event that awards 154 cards per character per completion, so this is a goldmine for Card Identification (and I've got a Fire/Thunder/Dark Witch that's coming up on needing all the secret cards, so... yeah)
Obviously raocow should play (insert obscure game that never got translated and that maybe ten people have played).
And now to reveal my rejected names: Darth Vader's Tough Savannah Mansion in Canada's Chapter

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Postby KobaBeach » 2 days ago

Got the class upgrade in Final Fantasy, made it near the end of chapter 3 in Dragon Slayer: Legend of Heroes and beat Ys Chronicles+ (just the first one).

Ashan

Postby Ashan » 1 day ago

Finished off Return of the Obra Dinn. Very cool game, go play it!

Bean

Postby Bean » 1 day ago

Playing a co-op run of Sackboy: A Big Adventure on the PS4. The game actually controls well unlike all the floaty LBP games, so I'm actually liking this one. Sackboy's basically got SM3DW moves with the roll and slightly weaker Yoshi flutter jumps, but the levels themselves have been pretty good so far. Yeah, this might be the first one in the franchise I recommend if it holds up.

Return to “the cartridgé”