smw centralsmbx communitypge project

happy birthday talkhaus!!!

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Ashan
It's easier than you think to look pioneer .
First name: Hayden

Re: What games are you playing?

Postby Ashan » 1 week ago

Finished the last of the challenges in MMLC2. Basically all I had left after the last post was buster only boss rush in MM10 which wasn't that bad, and then Enker and Punk fights. Enker with Proto Man took me a while because he killed me in 3 hits. Turns out the trick is to just tank damage from his uncharged slash beam things because they do less damage than touching him, so you can use those i-frames to make sure he doesn't touch you. Hell yeah, cheese strats.

Bean

Postby Bean » 1 week ago

Mega Man 9's done now, too. Going from least to favorite order here, so 8's next and 10's last. Been years since I played 10 though, so that should be interesting.

Ashan

Postby Ashan » 1 week ago

Bean wrote: Mega Man 9's done now, too. Going from least to favorite order here, so 8's next and 10's last. Been years since I played 10 though, so that should be interesting.
9 over 8!?
Nuts! 9 is my favorite!

Bean

Postby Bean » 6 days ago

I love 9's weapons, I do not like spikes and enemies popping out of pits everywhere. It also has my least favorite boss music. Ha-ha. It's still a fun game, but I like 10 so much more. 8's got the second best set of weapons, and I always liked the art in that one.

4 > 3 > 10 > 8 > 1 > 9 > 2 > 7 > 6 > 5 has been my take. Just not sure on both 1 or 7's positions nowadays.

Ashan

Postby Ashan » 6 days ago

Enemies pop out of pits in 9, but is it worse than the other games? Like the exploding Game Boys in Bomb Man from 1, or the parachute bombs in Commando Man in 10, etc? As for spikes, I only recall 1 section that stands out as kinda cheap, which is that near pixel-perfect jump in the water section in Wily 2. But other than that I don't think 9 is that hard comparatively.

I've never sat down and ranked them before so my opinion might change depending on when you ask me, but to quickly throw one out:
9 > 10 > 2 > 5 > 1 > 4 > 3 > 6 > 8 > 7

I have trouble with ranking them cause some I either like or dislike for different reasons. I used to like 3 a lot more, but I find it to overall be the jankiest in the series. Tons of slowdown, awkward garbage like the top spin, the doc robots which might be on the first sections in the series, overreliance on weapon energy like the Rush jet sections.
6 I mainly ranked low because I'm the least familiar with it of any of the 8-bit games. And 7/8 I just don't like the sprites and slowness. 8 also has that weird disconnect in the middle of every level with a load screen that teleports you somewhere completely different. And also I hate that they added swimming, cause the 8-bit Mega Man games all had really fun water sections with the high jumping.

SAJewers
hi

Postby SAJewers » 5 days ago

West of Loathing is an amazing game, and you all should play it.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Ashan

Postby Ashan » 5 days ago

With raocow's Mega Man proposal video today I remembered that I don't think I've ever actually beaten Rock Man & Forte before. I own it, but was unsure as to whether or not I actually finished it.

I went through it from the beginning today, and got as far as the second King stage before becoming pretty damn confident I never finished it before. This stage is a nightmare. I believe there's 5 bosses in it? At least with the first 3/4 there's either an always-there 1-up, but before the third boss, as far as I can tell you just have to kill bats at the beginning of the section until you get a 1-up. But once you actually beat that third boss, which is 2 phases, you're put up against another boss with no section to grind lives. And if you game over, you start the whole section over again. And all of the bosses take FOREVER.

edit: So I went back and tried again, and now I know how to use items in the menus. I thought it was like MM8 where you bought them in the store and they were immediately applied, but apparently you have to switch through the menus. I ended up doing all of King 2 in 1 life, but died on the boss once because I had half health, but then killed him on the next life, only getting hit once. GG

Bean

Postby Bean » 5 days ago

It took me three hours of almost straight recording to do a no-damage run of that stage as Mega Man a few years back. That stage has so much that can go wrong just in a normal playthrough, especially that part with the plane fight, let alone doing the whole enchilada without taking damage. Personally, my least favorite stage is Magic Man. There's no safety net right from the start. If you're playing the GBA version, it's worse thanks to the camera. Thankfully, I saved Bass and doing normal no-death runs for the GBA side of things. King 2 still sucked since he doesn't get that platform to hide under and dodge those bombs that drop in. Ha-ha.

Man, that series was exhausting to do. Final stage is easier for the most part, but it's still a gauntlet run.

Ashan

Postby Ashan » 5 days ago

You no-damage peeps are nuts. Closest thing I've done to that was 100% achievements in Mega Man 10 which had a "beat the game without getting hit" achievement, but it was made easier with easy mode, not only cause it's... easy mode... But easy mode let you save between Wily stages.
And I'm finally done R&F. I actually liked the final Wily fight, it was kinda fun.
I was playing as Bass cause I guess that's "easy" mode in terms of this game, so I think I'll try to do Mega Man next.

edit: Alright, now done with Mega Man. Definitely much more challenging with him, but surprisingly not by a HUGE margin. It's mainly from all the dickish jumps in the game. There's some parts where they actually expect you to ride the ice wall to complete jumps. But I actually found some bosses easier with him, particularly Burner Man, who I find really hard to use his weakness against, so instead I just killed him with charge shots and he became much less of a hassle.
Well, I can officially say I've beaten the whole classic series now!
...Unless Rock Man Soccer counts... I own it, but not sure if there is a way to beat it. I'm not even sure how it works, really.
Oh, and also Wily Tower? Maybe I'll do that some other time. Main series is done anyway.

Bean

Postby Bean » 3 days ago

And I beat MM8 this morning. That leaves MM10, but I chose to start up a Proto Man run of MM9 first. Guess I want to 100% this whole thing.

Ashan

Postby Ashan » 2 days ago

Ended up doing a hero mode and superhero mode in Mega Man 9. There's one jump in Galaxy Man's stage in superhero mode that I'm pretty sure is impossible so I ended up just coming back with Rush Jet later and skipping it. Also lots of grabby guys from Galaxy Man's stage, but all over the game and they throw you into spikes and bottomless pits.
Final IGT was 1:26:39.

edit: I streamed the whole thing. Didn't end up even using any E-tanks or M-tanks. Here's a video archive (though I'm sure nobody including myself would want to watch this):

Slimeman01
Wanting more game money
First name: Matthew Hunger
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Slimeman01 » 2 days ago

Picked up Sonic Mania for my Switch reason, and

I'm in love with this game, the music is fantastic, the gameplay is amazing, and those new zones man, holy crap, they're so good

The bosses are actually pretty difficult, but really fun! My personal favourites are

Chemical plant Act 2

, and

Hydrocity Act 1

My Shoddy Youtube
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!

Return to “the cartridgé”